Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Petition] Buying individual pieces via Collections Menu

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
[Petition] Buying individual pieces via Collections Menu
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DOHboy
09.09.2013 , 11:05 AM | #411
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Be nice if people take time to read the dev response too.

It's not going to happen... and here's why...
best be careful and bring along your asbestos armor..you seem to be a "popular" conversation topic lately

People fail to understand that often even the simplest concept can be very difficult to implement given architecture and risk of exploit/bugs.

RoninChaos
10.03.2013 , 08:23 AM | #412
I can't say this whole "collections" thing would bug me if some of the packs weren't out of circulation anymore. If all of the packs were still available then EA would still get it's money for the packs, people would still buy individual items on the GTN, and people would be paying real money to unlock the items via collections. At this point, since items like Revan's mask aren't available in packs, it means that eventually there simply won't be any items left at all. So people will never be able to finish the collections.

WillCaedes
06.20.2014 , 04:44 PM | #413
Quote: Originally Posted by DamionSchubert View Post
Hey, guys, let me give a little background on this decision and how it came to be.

During development of the Collections system, a couple of problems became apparent in terms of how things are architected on the back end of SWTOR. The short form is that making all items in a collection separate items had a lot of nasty side effects. It increased the amount of data storage per character considerably, it increased login times to handle versioning up your character, and it also quintupled the number of things in the collections GUI, making that GUI an unreadable mess. The team working on this feature looked at these problems and decided that the best possible solution to these issues was to consolidate these items into sets.

So, yeah, that's on the design team. I swear, not because we're evil jerk designers, we just kinda failed to fully realize how the feature would end up playing out . We now have a better grasp of the ramifications of this decision, and we're aware of the unhappiness it caused.

We're also aware that using Revan's Mask as an example was a pretty poor call on our part.

We're in the process of evaluating other options that would allow us to give players the functionality that they want, while at the same time address the very real technical and GUI concerns that we faced with our initial architecture of the system. Unfortunately, no option that we come up with is likely to be doable very quickly -- on top of solving the technical problems, we also need to now deal with ensuring anyone who purchases the collected items with the current system end up being correctly credited if we convert something over. As such, I have no ETA for when we will address this.
Soooooo it's been almost a year. Could we perhaps get a status update? Pretty please?
Audio Customization for Weapons:
Thread: http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...45#post7864645
Poll: http://goo.gl/Y1Mvfk

LeJarC
06.20.2014 , 05:36 PM | #414
Quote: Originally Posted by DamionSchubert View Post
Hey, guys, let me give a little background on this decision and how it came to be.

During development of the Collections system, a couple of problems became apparent in terms of how things are architected on the back end of SWTOR. The short form is that making all items in a collection separate items had a lot of nasty side effects. It increased the amount of data storage per character considerably, it increased login times to handle versioning up your character, and it also quintupled the number of things in the collections GUI, making that GUI an unreadable mess. The team working on this feature looked at these problems and decided that the best possible solution to these issues was to consolidate these items into sets.

So, yeah, that's on the design team. I swear, not because we're evil jerk designers, we just kinda failed to fully realize how the feature would end up playing out . We now have a better grasp of the ramifications of this decision, and we're aware of the unhappiness it caused.

We're also aware that using Revan's Mask as an example was a pretty poor call on our part.

We're in the process of evaluating other options that would allow us to give players the functionality that they want, while at the same time address the very real technical and GUI concerns that we faced with our initial architecture of the system. Unfortunately, no option that we come up with is likely to be doable very quickly -- on top of solving the technical problems, we also need to now deal with ensuring anyone who purchases the collected items with the current system end up being correctly credited if we convert something over. As such, I have no ETA for when we will address this.
It's that this thread popped, otherwise I'd never had known this was the original intention.
Apart from the overhead in data handling, seriously? You want us to believe none of your designers visualized the most obvious and simple GUI solution? All it would take is at most 7 buttons total, nothing else... plus a highlight for each unlocked item.

Each of the collection sets has this nice popup with a button "show items", if clicked it shows at most 7 rows of items, each with a "Preview" button on it.. What could be simpler than adding an "Unlock" button next to it....obviously the same button can be converted to a "Retrieve Copy" button after the unlock so it remains useful.

There, GUI clutter problem solved. You take care of the data problem.
Sorry. No referral link here. Trust me! You don't want to....
lurker mode engaged until sub runs out.

LordArtemis
06.20.2014 , 06:09 PM | #415
I have stated this in the past, and barring some unforseen problem it would present (which could exist, I'm not aware of what coding issues they are facing with this problem, nor would I presume to) I still believe this is the best solution.....

Allow all armor sets to be achievements. If they are listed in our achievements, each individual armor piece will be listed, and as we get that piece it will be displayed as such....so we will easily know, based on this, what we are missing.

IMO each and every armor set offered on the CM should be an achievement if unlocked into our collections.

WillCaedes
06.20.2014 , 08:59 PM | #416
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
I have stated this in the past, and barring some unforseen problem it would present (which could exist, I'm not aware of what coding issues they are facing with this problem, nor would I presume to) I still believe this is the best solution.....

Allow all armor sets to be achievements. If they are listed in our achievements, each individual armor piece will be listed, and as we get that piece it will be displayed as such....so we will easily know, based on this, what we are missing.

IMO each and every armor set offered on the CM should be an achievement if unlocked into our collections.
I'll tell you what "coding" issues they are coming up against. Money. Nothing more, nothing less. They probably feel as though they won't make enough money on selling individual pieces from collections as they would on selling entire sets.

And seeing Star Clusters clusterbomb of an experiment on pricing, I am more determined than ever to push for individual piece purchases from collections. I'm glad that I brought the light to yet another customers eyes when I bumped this thread a few hours ago.
Audio Customization for Weapons:
Thread: http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...45#post7864645
Poll: http://goo.gl/Y1Mvfk

Lunafox
06.20.2014 , 10:22 PM | #417
I'd like to be able to unlock individual pieces as well. I'd also like to be able to download the piece I want from the unlocked stuff...like say I only want Mira's jacket. As it is now, I have to take the whole set, and then destroy the other pieces that came with it, that I don't want. If they can't do it that way, atleast let me vendor off the pieces for 0$ it would be quicker than how it is currently.
The Foundation of all Desire
At FanFiction.net

KotFE: I find your lack of Theron disturbing...WHERE'S THERON SHAN?

JattaGin
06.21.2014 , 01:15 AM | #418
Quote: Originally Posted by WillCaedes View Post
I'll tell you what "coding" issues they are coming up against. Money. Nothing more, nothing less. They probably feel as though they won't make enough money on selling individual pieces from collections as they would on selling entire sets.
/facepalm

I like the suggestions from LeJarC and LordArtemis few posts above. Both seem like they could work. But will it ever happen?

LordArtemis
06.21.2014 , 02:08 AM | #419
Quote: Originally Posted by WillCaedes View Post

And seeing Star Clusters clusterbomb of an experiment on pricing, I am more determined than ever to push for individual piece purchases from collections. I'm glad that I brought the light to yet another customers eyes when I bumped this thread a few hours ago.
Well, I'm actually not suggesting they sell the items individually, though it certainly would be nice if they would. I think the CM could remain as it is....but if they make all armor sets on the CM achievements, at the very least we will be able to see what pieces we are missing to collect the set.

So, we could choose to purchase the entire set and then only equip what we need, sell the rest, or we could pick up what we missed on the GTN.

IMO that would at least help with the situation. As it is now, even if you are missing only one item there is no way to know, so you have to buy and equip every piece until you get lucky and unlock the set.

howieloader
06.21.2014 , 05:29 AM | #420
I hope this never happens... Revan's armor is the rarest set in the game, and deserves to stay that way... If it gets set up where the helmet is account unlockable everyone will be wearing one instead of the Eradicator Helmet or whatever, and it will diminish the accomplishment of those that have the full set account unlocked...

Sorry, not sorry, the only people this benefits are the people that whine and complain about the GTN prices being too high and those too lazy to do the work to collect the rarest set in the game... It diminishes the accomplishment of everyone who has already unlocked the set, it will create a situation where so many people are wearing Revan's Mask you won't even want to look at it anymore, and it will be one more instance where a few tards on the forums complain about something and Bioware caves in...

For the record, I don't have the set account unlocked, I'm looking for the sash right now... But you know what, that's okay, that's part of the grind to get the set... I've got the creds to do it, so it doesn't bother me...