Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Jedi Knight Story (Spoilers)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Jedi Knight Story (Spoilers)

DariusSavog
05.13.2013 , 10:35 AM | #1
Hey guys just wandering what your thoughts are after ending of the Jedi Knight story that simple

SW_display_name
05.13.2013 , 01:06 PM | #2
My thoughts which will be extremely unpopular here were: That was ludicrous, and the writers of the JK arc lack storytelling tact, subtlety, and self-control.

It felt like watching one of the prequel Star Wars films. Good in that yes, this captured that Lucas-esque Star Wars feel. Bad in that no, this really isn't a very good story, once all the glitzy flashy over-the-top popcorn gimmicks fade out.

JK is really the only story I've seen so far that I truly dislike. And I didn't dislike it while playing through it, because it was like watching a summer action move; in the moment, you're caught up in all the flash and action. Instead, I've come to dislike it afterwards, looking back at it, reflecting on how chunky and ham-fisted it is and seeing the contrast with plots that have a lot more subtlety, depth, self-control within the wider context of the story (killing the Emperor solo? Seriously?).

At least it was entertaining, though. Stupid, but entertaining.

YoshiRaphElan
05.13.2013 , 01:12 PM | #3
I'm pretty sure the above poster is in a vast minority. I've never heard anyone else say they dislike the Knight story, IMO it is the best (working on Agent, though, so may be proven wrong). There is literally nothing wrong with the JK story. It is a classic Star Wars tale, where you are basically the "Luke Skywalker" of the story. It's really fun and the story makes more sense than most of the Prequels.

Ekas
05.13.2013 , 01:49 PM | #4
I've only completed 2 stories so far (Knight and Consular), and of the two, I very much prefer the Knight's story. In fact, I enjoyed it a great deal. I confronted the big bad, saved the day, got the girl, all while swinging a lightsaber, and that's exactly what I signed up to a story driven Star Wars game for.

My only problem with the story was that at around the end of chapter 2, I was forced to
Spoiler

which I didn't want to. That disappointed me a bit.

Jenzali
05.13.2013 , 02:07 PM | #5
Overall the Jedi Knight story was an enjoyable swashbuckling hero (or anti-hero) tale, but it lacked the depth, mystery, diplomacy, and Jedi lore that was to be found in the Consular's storyline.

For these reasons the Jedi Knight is also somewhat unconvincing as a pure light-side character, considering that it's modeled after Luke (who courted the dark side in order to defeat Vader and indirectly the Emperor) and Anakin (who fell to the dark side, obviously). A Jedi isn't someone who seeks out enemy after enemy. That's what a Dark Jedi does. The Consular's story was much further in line with Jedi teachings.

IMO the "canon" Jedi Knight, if a canon is ever established, will probably be somewhat dark-side because
Spoiler

and honestly the act of "asking the Emperor to surrender return with you to Tython" in the finale is nothing short of ridiculous. It only makes sense to defeat the Emperor by calling on the dark side, otherwise any of the other masters should have been able to defeat him.
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.

lanawinst
05.13.2013 , 02:11 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Ekas View Post
II confronted the big bad, saved the day, got the girl, all while swinging a lightsaber, and that's exactly what I signed up to a story driven Star Wars game for.
And that's exactly why I got bored playing hero and moved on to another story . Too simplistic, too much focus on action for me. So the answer would be that it depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for the same thing as Ekas is, you won't be disappointed. If you're like me and prefer clever stories, full of grey areas and twists go for the agent story.

dark_wolf
05.15.2013 , 12:40 PM | #7
I'm going to join camp "it was boring and silly." I really wasn't all that well-written.. It was fun when I was playing it, but , but even then I thought "this is really silly and the JK is too powerful." I'm sorry, but a single Jedi Knight with less than a decade of experience should not be able to defeat someone who has lived and ruled for centuries. Luckily, I played the Sith Warrior story first which was much better and:

Spoiler

Darth_Wicked
05.15.2013 , 01:07 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by dark_wolf View Post
I'm going to join camp "it was boring and silly." I really wasn't all that well-written.. It was fun when I was playing it, but , but even then I thought "this is really silly and the JK is too powerful." I'm sorry, but a single Jedi Knight with less than a decade of experience should not be able to defeat someone who has lived and ruled for centuries. Luckily, I played the Sith Warrior story first which was much better and:

Spoiler
I'll assume you have the same issue with Luke on the original trilogy, given the kind of stuff he does and the complete lack of experience as a Jedi Knight. One can easily assume that the JK was trained in the ways of the Jedi, from early on, unlike Luke, who was already a young adult.

Double standards FTW.
Quote: Originally Posted by The Enemy Within
You ONLY had to point the EMPIRE and REPUBLIC to a shared adversary, and LET THEM DO what they do naturally:
MAKE WAR.

psandak
05.15.2013 , 01:22 PM | #9
Classic high fantasy, good vs evil story where good eventually triumphs. Very much "Star Wars."

Khasur
05.15.2013 , 01:29 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by dark_wolf View Post
I'm going to join camp "it was boring and silly." I really wasn't all that well-written.. It was fun when I was playing it, but , but even then I thought "this is really silly and the JK is too powerful." I'm sorry, but a single Jedi Knight with less than a decade of experience should not be able to defeat someone who has lived and ruled for centuries.
You can explain it as the Jedi Knight has tons of natural talent and is constantly training while the emperor may be alive for centuries but sits on his a** for most of that time. That may not work for you but it does for me. I like clever stories with twists but I also enjoy stories where I'm the baddest mother****** around.

Quote: Originally Posted by Jenzali View Post
For these reasons the Jedi Knight is also somewhat unconvincing as a pure light-side character, considering that it's modeled after Luke (who courted the dark side in order to defeat Vader and indirectly the Emperor) and Anakin (who fell to the dark side, obviously). A Jedi isn't someone who seeks out enemy after enemy. That's what a Dark Jedi does. The Consular's story was much further in line with Jedi teachings.
I say good because a lot of the Jedi's teachings irritate me and are too good for me. I don't want to be pure light side. And as far as what Ekas said,
Spoiler
and also it made the story more interesting. My favorite part was in the last fight
Spoiler
So basically, I really liked the Jedi Knight story.
Prophecy of the Five
Zarael - Jedi Sentinel Zyrael - Sith Sorcerer