Underwater Planet- Glee Anselm?

I'm not sure if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I think for the next expansion (or planet addition) Bioware should make some innovative changes and make an underwater planet. In passing, an in-game conversation I came across today mentioned Glee Anselm- the homeworld of the Nautolans. Is there any chance that Bioware could develop an underwater world, and adjust combat for underwater (or at least play with that idea)? With this expansion they could also bring the Nautolans as a playable species (in the hopes that when the Cathar are introduced they are well liked and encourage the addition of further species; Nautolans are some what high on the list of desired species I believe)

I think underwater planets could bring an extra layer of diversity amongst The Old Republic that could provide an interesting dimension. I miss the planet of Manaan from KOTOR I.

Thoughts? (I'm not sure how exactly this could fit in lore-wise, but I'm sure it is feasible).

The engine is known to support movement along the Z-axis (vertical) for "free roam" in its modifying tools, so I am sure it could be patched into full movement. However, such movements are, at best, tricky, and they are certainly not something that can be done easily...

The engine is known to support movement along the Z-axis (vertical) for "free roam" in its modifying tools, so I am sure it could be patched into full movement. However, such movements are, at best, tricky, and they are certainly not something that can be done easily...

I agree I don't think it will be something easy to implement, but if they do it right they could really pull off an interesting new added dimension to the game. And adding additions such as the Nautolans for a playable species would really make the expansion more than just another planet. Along with the possibility of introducing more nostalgic elements in reference to Manaan from KOTOR I, could really make the expansion a great change for The Old Republic.

Another thought I had was it doesn't mean you would have to be underwater the entire time, naturally you could work with an underwater city. And when appropriate introduce underwater combat and such gameplay where proper.

1)We can't swim

2)Water levels tend to be widely unpopular in videogames of various types (the infamous Tomb Raider 2 wreck levels). I'm saying ''levels'', not short bouts of underwater adventures.

3)A certain MMO released a water only zone, and the said zone was hated because it was much slower than the other zones.

Edited by Angedechu

I HATE underwater stuff. I hated it in Trials of Atlantis for Dark Age of Camelot, and I'll hate it forever.

No.

Agree x 10000

I hate hate hate underwater combat. The underwater world in WoW was the pits. Underwater combat in Gw2 makes me want to cut myself. I highly doubt swtor would be somehow better.

Chances are, if they were to add an Underwater World, it would likely be Manaan and how I see it happening is Players dock at the OS, then take a Shuttle down to a landing area and they can either do an Underwater [space] Mission where we control an Underwater Vehicle and basically do what we currently do in Space, but underwater, ending up at an Underwater City [Ahto City for example] and explore the areas of the City that hasn't flooded perhaps even fighting crazed Selkath.

That way, we are [technically] fighting underwater without having to fight in the water. If not an Underwater [space] Combat then perhaps a cutscene showing the Vehicle going from the water surface to a underwater docking bay that hadn't flooded.

But yeah, to actually fight underwater, would cause a lot of problems, from how Animations look to how exactly we are able to fight AND survive underwater without problems.

Besides, is there really a Nautolan fanbase ?

From the top of my head, I can recall two Nautolans characters

1)Kit Fisto, of course, who was given a rather epic coverage in the various clone wars media. Still, I mostly remember him as ''the guy that Palpatine killed 3 secondes in the duel''

2)Dah'lis, from the Agent of the Empire comic. She died from an assassin after being ''probed'' by the eponymous agent. A very, very, very complete ''probing''

Edited by Angedechu

Chances are, if they were to add an Underwater World, it would likely be Manaan and how I see it happening is Players dock at the OS, then take a Shuttle down to a landing area and they can either do an Underwater [space] Mission where we control an Underwater Vehicle and basically do what we currently do in Space, but underwater, ending up at an Underwater City [Ahto City for example] and explore the areas of the City that hasn't flooded perhaps even fighting crazed Selkath.

That way, we are [technically] fighting underwater without having to fight in the water. If not an Underwater [space] Combat then perhaps a cutscene showing the Vehicle going from the water surface to a underwater docking bay that hadn't flooded.

But yeah, to actually fight underwater, would cause a lot of problems, from how Animations look to how exactly we are able to fight AND survive underwater without problems.

Ermagahd rapture!?

Jedi and Sith would be in serious trouble because lightsabers of this era probably didn't function underwater.

In response to underwater mechanics for combat, I don't think it would be easy, but worst case scenario an underwater city structure would at least be very different. Guild Wars 2, however, is a prime example (in my opinion) of an underwater world/combat scenario that was implemented quite well.

The Nautolans have had quite a bit of exposure in the Clone Wars era of the Star Wars world. Alternatively the world of Mon Cal has been quite pivotal as seen during the Clone Wars with the fight between Quarren and Mon Cal. Even if it was merely like Manaan, I think the introduction of a water planet would be unique. Additionally (I cannot find the forum poll, but Nautolans were shown to be in the top three desired as a playable species)

I've always wondered about the function of lightsabers underwater, (as far as I know the concept has never been fully explained anywhere) as according to the films I believe this was problematic, however throughout many Clone Wars adaptions or in the expanded universe lightsabers were adapted for underwater combat. Is there some reason why the technology would not be present during the Old Republic era?

I loved to see Nautolan, there one of few non playable races, Id enjoy being able to play, Wookies also. But I dont think that Under water combat would be suck a good idea, being from MMO that shall not be named, I hated underwater combat because it was so sluggish and took along time to enjoy, I even swtiched areas because it took me forever to like it somewhat ... not really ... at all. But if SWTOR could somehow do it, Id be amazed. I would it if they did it like SWTKOR 1's water world, because I abousleted loved that area .

I loved to see Nautolan, there one of few non playable races, Id enjoy being able to play, Wookies also. But I dont think that Under water combat would be suck a good idea, being from MMO that shall not be named, I hated underwater combat because it was so sluggish and took along time to enjoy, I even swtiched areas because it took me forever to like it somewhat ... not really ... at all. But if SWTOR could somehow do it, Id be amazed. I would it if they did it like SWTKOR 1's water world, because I abousleted loved that area .

Nautolans are definitely possible to implement, and one of the less difficult of species to implement.

(See this post concerning an in depth poll and commentary on the possibility of additional species in this game)

Species And Their Implementation in TOR

Concerning underwater combat, I agree if done half-heartedly it would be complete crap, but if Star Wars is to expand I think they need to think big and think beyond the safe, whether it be an actual space zone, or water zone, or something. But this game needs to evolve if it is going to improve.

I'm not sure if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I think for the next expansion (or planet addition) Bioware should make some innovative changes and make an underwater planet. In passing, an in-game conversation I came across today mentioned Glee Anselm- the homeworld of the Nautolans. Is there any chance that Bioware could develop an underwater world, and adjust combat for underwater (or at least play with that idea)? With this expansion they could also bring the Nautolans as a playable species (in the hopes that when the Cathar are introduced they are well liked and encourage the addition of further species; Nautolans are some what high on the list of desired species I believe)

I think underwater planets could bring an extra layer of diversity amongst The Old Republic that could provide an interesting dimension. I miss the planet of Manaan from KOTOR I.

Thoughts? (I'm not sure how exactly this could fit in lore-wise, but I'm sure it is feasible).

A great idea!

Not sure they could implement it, but still, great idea!