Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Need/Greed Etiquette???

lilwhiteghost
09.06.2013 , 12:03 AM | #21
Well, here I am. A level 55 sharpshooter still feeling like a pile of noob on occasion when it comes to this subject. I understand that if a piece of gear isn't right for me, my toon, not to click need on it. However, there's one thing I'm not sure of, materials. This may seem obvious to experienced players, but SWtOR is my first mmo. I do need the materials for my crewskills, but what do you click? I've been in many flash points, clicked need, and no one said anything, but tonight I was told that clicking need "is pretty low". I promptly went to apologized to the person saying as well that I didn't know, but before I could finish I was already on the guys ignore list. What do yo do here?

Lecaja
09.06.2013 , 05:28 AM | #22
There is a learning curve to good etiquette as it isn't intuitive at least not for me and because of that people need to keep in mind that mistakes are going to happen but as long as someone is willing to learn cut them a little slack. For example I thought that as a Mara it was perfectly acceptable to roll need on a generator because as soon as the Flashpoint was over I was going to strip it down for the mods and put it in my adaptable armor. My logic was that since I was going to use the mods right away and not put it up on GTN it was okay. The people I had the privilege of playing with thought otherwise so now I select greed on items with mods in it. The result is that I never get the items in question but I'm still very happy with the exp and the planetary coins rewards so everyone's happy.

AlrikFassbauer
09.06.2013 , 05:53 AM | #23
There should be a third button : "For companion".
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Karkais
09.06.2013 , 06:01 AM | #24
Personal opinion: greed for alts, companions, style.

Need if its a gear improvement to your current character or a material that you can actually use.
"Their strength became my own. Their minds became my own. All flesh is my flesh. None move, save I will it. This is the rule the Sith were promised, and I have made it real!"
- From the codex of Karness Muur

SebastiaanZ
09.06.2013 , 06:09 AM | #25
Gear only if its for your main, otherwise greed. I usually need on mats and rep tokens, only because I see the others in the group do exactly the same. And cause usually they are not part of my guild, I couldn't care less what they think about that. Usually the people who complain about it need themselves as well.
Noomi-ryar (Lvl 55) Sith Assassin / Neovangelion (Lvl 55) Sith Marauder / Danitaka (Lvl 20) Mercenary / Triton-one (Lvl 52) Operative / Gali-ryar (Lvl 55) Sith Sorcerer
Rayalas (Lvl 51) Gunslinger / Kenli-shun (Lvl 55) Jedi Guardian / Vyzen (Lvl 52) Commando / Nende (Lvl 55) Jedi Shadow

OlosBC
09.06.2013 , 08:34 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
"For companion" is always greed. Everyone in the group has companions they can use the stuff for, especially if cunning gear (and now aim with treek.

If you want it for a comp, ask before roll, or better yet, ask the person who wins it if they are going to use or would they mind passing it over.

I would have zero problem with a Mara/sent needing on a "guardian" DPS piece. Everyone should be using orange gear already anyway.

Crafting mats and rep tokens (which everyone in the group can use equally) should be greeded always.

Also, as to "the sent in the op was greedy because he left and ignored", I'm going to go ahead and assume that the op was just a tad more harsh in his questioning than his post leads one to believe...
Olos - 55 Hybrid Powertech
Fonia - 55 Madness Sorceror
<Dark Fury> of Jedi Covenant
Previously Fonia and Daygoru of Tempest server in SWG.

artikulieren
09.06.2013 , 08:50 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
That is win. Please post in the suggestion box. There should also be a pop-up for the people that don't click it to add the clicker to ignore list.

Icestar
09.07.2013 , 07:23 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by artikulieren View Post
That is win. Please post in the suggestion box. There should also be a pop-up for the people that don't click it to add the clicker to ignore list.
It has been suggested 1000 times before.

But feel free to be nr 1001

JFTravis
09.07.2013 , 09:37 PM | #29
Generally, I only Need something if it's a direct upgrade to the equipment my current character is using at the moment, Greed anything I think an alt or companion might be able to use, and Pass on everything else.

DarknessInLight
09.08.2013 , 10:45 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
If a sentinel needs in a guardian dps piece, he's not pulling out 1 enchancement, he's pulling out all the mods and putting them on medium armor.
Agreed. But if it is Guardian Tank gear(Shield and Absorb/Defense), then that Sentinel is just being a douchebag and deserves the /ignore. I'm seeing many toons coming into ops raids and fps lately that are NOT geared correctly. That tells me that:

A. These players don't understand how gear works

AND

B. They don't really understand how the game works.

The Need/Greed thing isn't there to keep these people from collecting gear. It is there as a courtesy to all players to give everyone a "fair shake". Some people just want to be douches though, and that should earn them an /ignore. They get enough of those and its going to be hard to run content for them.
Jedi do not fight for Peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading, as slogans always are. Jedi fight for Civilization, because only Civilization creates Peace. - Jedi Master Mace Windu