Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Need/Greed Etiquette???

Vladnar
05.09.2013 , 02:24 AM | #1
Old wow players know exactly how this should work in reality but they had to change their system as more and more people started to act very selfishly.

SWTOR has companions too with different gear requirements and with the amount of f2p players numerous whom haven't played mmo before im reading quite a lot of insults over general chat and people being kicked.

I don't think the system needs changing, I would suggest every player go through ONE ONLY short etiquette class suggest how its good form to follow the simple rules of 1-only need if its an item that the character you are playing, and the role they are playing in that one group setup would want to put on immediately or once you can get an augment on 2-otherwise its a greed UNLESS you have spoken to the group quickly and they have said you are ok to need as they may wish to need under the same circumstances.

A short little etiquette tutorial would fulfil this need and then let people just do and if necessary be ignored as they will from there.

With thanks

ps, I have never experienced any problems with this myself, I did in wow, but ive read it so much I wanted to raise the point.
The time of the Empire is now truly upon us

Anysao
05.09.2013 , 05:50 AM | #2
The worst that's happened to me is when I was the only guardian in the group, and "needed" on the guardian chest that dropped off the boss, and a SENTINEL DPS "needed" on it too, and won the loot. I literally tried to bribe her for it, but instead, she dropped the group, and put me on ignore.
Ooh! In Elder Scrolls Online, I get magic spells and colossal PvP! That sounds cool, but one question, where do I get a lightsaber?
Want to get a lightsaber, too? Click this text for a free trial run of The Old Republic. Returning player? No problem! Join today!

ATAMIANM
05.09.2013 , 10:44 AM | #3
Ninjas are everywhere. Put them on ignore and you'll never be paired with them again.

GrizBe
05.09.2013 , 10:53 AM | #4
Frankly the easiest way to fix this would be to make it so that you can't need on equipment you can't use.

IE, Sentinals can't need on heavy armor, Ops can't need on shields and so forth.... Or even further... If its not your classes primary stat you can't need on it. Soo no more troopers needing on strength stuff etc.

If you can't need, you can still greed, so if the guy its for doesn't need it, everyone in the group still has an equal chance to gain the item rather then a looter stealing it.

stringcat
05.09.2013 , 11:36 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Anysao View Post
The worst that's happened to me is when I was the only guardian in the group, and "needed" on the guardian chest that dropped off the boss, and a SENTINEL DPS "needed" on it too, and won the loot. I literally tried to bribe her for it, but instead, she dropped the group, and put me on ignore.
Unless it was a tank piece, I don't see anything wrong with that. Who cares if the shell was heavy armor? Sents and guardians benefit equally from the mods.
Valiya Illegal Test Kitchen The Bastion

NEWJA
05.09.2013 , 12:02 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by stringcat View Post
Unless it was a tank piece, I don't see anything wrong with that. Who cares if the shell was heavy armor? Sents and guardians benefit equally from the mods.
No I disagree

Needing on a piece of gear so you can pull one enhancement out of it is in my opinion bad etiquette. The only time I would feel that would be okay is if no one else could use the piece better.

Seireeni
05.09.2013 , 12:08 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by NEWJA View Post
No I disagree

Needing on a piece of gear so you can pull one enhancement out of it is in my opinion bad etiquette. The only time I would feel that would be okay is if no one else could use the piece better.
If a sentinel needs in a guardian dps piece, he's not pulling out 1 enchancement, he's pulling out all the mods and putting them on medium armor.
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Red Eclipse - 22 characters - The Firslay Legacy

Jadescythe
05.09.2013 , 12:09 PM | #8
No I disagree

How is putting the armoring, mod, and enhancement into a different piece to fill your need in that slot any different than you using the piece in that shell? If you need the gear, then click need. If you don't need it for your main set on that toon, then greed. It's not hard.
I have opinions and stuff

You could get free stuff with my referral link here

NEWJA
05.09.2013 , 12:44 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
How is putting the armoring, mod, and enhancement into a different piece to fill your need in that slot any different than you using the piece in that shell? If you need the gear, then click need. If you don't need it for your main set on that toon, then greed. It's not hard.
Well in that case there would not be any wrong with it but generally what I see a lot is people needing on other classes gear and thinking it's okay to rip out 1/3 of the gear. More times than not if the heavy armor piece drops it does not have my stats.. in fact I can't remember the last time I saw in a hard mode flashpoint a piece of heavy armor drop that was perfect for my sentinel. It would have way more endurance and less power (just a example) so just to clarify I'm implying that if trooper boots drop and you are a sentinel then you have no reason to need that item. Even if the enhancement or the armoring would be useful to you unless there is no one else in the group that could benefit from them.

Jadescythe
05.09.2013 , 12:50 PM | #10
Well in that case there would not be any wrong with it but generally what I see a lot his people needing on other classes gear and thinking it's okay to rip out 1/3 of the gear. More times than not if the heavy armor piece drops it does not have my stats.. in fact I can't remember the last time I saw in a hard mode flashpoint a piece of heavy armor drop that was perfect for my sentinel. It would have way more endurance and less power (just a example) so just to clarify I'm implying that if trooper boots drop and you are a sentinel then you have no reason to need that item. Even if the enhancement or the armoring would be useful to you unless there is no one else in the group that could benefit from them.
I understand your point. But at the same time, should I roll on a piece that I maybe only need the mod/enhancement from that is for my class and there is another of my same class in the group? The way gearing is setup, many times the same piece has to be gotten several times just to get the correct stats to min/max. If rolling on another class's gear makes that process faster than it would be hard for me to fault someone for rolling need on it as they truly do need it for their set. I think the nice thing to do is to let the other person take the piece if they need the entire thing, but with the rarity of the proper gear actually dropping in a FP/Op these days I wouldn't have a problem with someone needing a piece just for the enhancement.
I have opinions and stuff

You could get free stuff with my referral link here