Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Peculiar Resilience/Force Shroud Bug (attn bioware)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Bug Reports
Peculiar Resilience/Force Shroud Bug (attn bioware)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

KeyboardNinja
05.17.2013 , 09:15 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
The devs have stated that they are capable of adding an "autohit" tag to an attack (Riposte has this tag for players), but they only use it for wipe mechanisms or things that players should *never* be able to resist (phase change control/damage effects). Most attacks against a tank *should* be able to be resisted, especially the attacks that are being mentioned here. It should also be mentioned that the bug isn't that Resilience isn't working; it's that Resilience is getting taken off *early*, right before the attack you want to avoid hits.
I'm not sure if its actually getting stripped early, or if that's just the out of order logging being annoying. The other combat log snippet posted here shows a failed resilience *without* death, and it looks like resilience wasn't stripped in that case and timed out normally.

In any case, resilience does sometimes work on both Huge Grenade and Terminate, so it seems clear that these attacks are not simply accuracy-boosted (unless the accuracy boost is only just enough to make it RNG with the boost to resist granted by resilience).
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dilettante on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (retired sentinel) Nimri (ruffian scoundrel)
Averith (marksman sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (vengeance jugg) Effek (pyro pt)

Kitru
05.17.2013 , 10:11 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
I'm not sure if its actually getting stripped early, or if that's just the out of order logging being annoying. The other combat log snippet posted here shows a failed resilience *without* death, and it looks like resilience wasn't stripped in that case and timed out normally.
I've had it stripped off early a few times, but there have been a few other weird cases. I've seen the resist flag fly up and I've still taken damage, I've seen the resist flag fly up and taken no direct damage but suffered the secondary effects take place (i.e. get hit with a DoT or knockback effect), and I've seen the resist flag fly up and taken the damage but *not* taken the secondary effects.

The problem I have is that it's not really predictable, and, more often than not, it behaves exactly as expected. It's just weird when it *doesn't*, especially when it doesn't deviate from the normal behavior in a normal way.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

blockheadsk
05.17.2013 , 10:31 AM | #13
The reason why Resilience is being taken off "early" is due to the out of order nature of the comat logs. If you look at the time of death, really any time you die, you will notice that you lose ALL buffs, gain Sprint, then the attack that killed you is registered in the log. However I don't really know if you can call this an our of order scenario; you have to lose your buffs when you die, and it always happens at basically the exact same time (in hundreds of milliseconds). I'm more inclined to believe that its either one of two scenarios: Resilience's effect isn't properly applying, or these attacks have a much higher accuracy. So it's still something to look into by the devs for sure, but it's not the case of the logs showing out of order events.
-Cry, 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war!
Officer of the Guild Tranquility

http://tranquilitytor.swtornow.com/home

Ancaglon
05.17.2013 , 10:42 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by blockheadsk View Post
However I don't really know if you can call this an our of order scenario; you have to lose your buffs when you die, and it always happens at basically the exact same time (in hundreds of milliseconds).
I bet the timestamps in the logs are client-side generated, and that an out-of-order data packet (due to network congestion/processing) could easily be logged/processed in just the way that the log shows -- but the reason for it being stripped is almost certainly due to death, as you suggest, because Resilience did not work correctly.

Panzerfire
05.17.2013 , 10:59 AM | #15
One thing about Terminate, I'm almost certain that you can shield/defend it and cannot use Force Shroud/Resilience.
I can't see how someone in the group can add accuracy to a boss, unless our 5% accuracy debuff actually adds 5% accuracy, giving bosses a 5% extra chance to hit. But as far as I know Force Shroud/Resilience increases resist chance by a couple of 100 percent, maybe 200 or 300%.
There could be a difference in Force Shroud and Resilience, but again they both succesfully failed to resist Huge Grenade so it's unlikely.

Darth_Dreselus
05.20.2013 , 10:29 AM | #16
It could also be a bug not with the ability but with the instance. I have had far too many people die behind the rocks, while they were clearly crouching, unable to move and had the cover buff up long before the wave reached them.

Also what attack is Terminate?
The Last Centurions Derpyn - Sage / Toughen - Vanguard / Bluffin - Scoundrel / Roughen - Sentinel
Filthy-rich - Juggernaut / Timberwulf - Sniper / Ironwill - Mercenary / Ahuizotl - Assassin

BiS Relics for Healers PvE/PvP

Kitru
05.20.2013 , 10:37 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Dreselus View Post
Also what attack is Terminate?
Terminate is the cast attack of the Operations Chief boss. It's an F/T + K/E attack that deals ~50k damage pre-mitigation, which means it hits a Shadow for ~32.5k and Guard/VGs for ~22.5k. Of course, Shadows and Guardians *should* be able to ignore it with Resilience and Saber Reflect, respectively, but sometimes, for some reason, it doesn't.
My New Class Idea

Darth_Dreselus
05.20.2013 , 04:19 PM | #18
Terminate is the cast attack of the Operations Chief boss. It's an F/T + K/E attack that deals ~50k damage pre-mitigation, which means it hits a Shadow for ~32.5k and Guard/VGs for ~22.5k. Of course, Shadows and Guardians *should* be able to ignore it with Resilience and Saber Reflect, respectively, but sometimes, for some reason, it doesn't.
I see never noticed it when healing as being a substantial problem.
The Last Centurions Derpyn - Sage / Toughen - Vanguard / Bluffin - Scoundrel / Roughen - Sentinel
Filthy-rich - Juggernaut / Timberwulf - Sniper / Ironwill - Mercenary / Ahuizotl - Assassin

Kitru
05.20.2013 , 04:48 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Dreselus View Post
I see never noticed it when healing as being a substantial problem.
It's a big deal for Shadows because it's all or close to all of your hp. For Guards and VGs, it a big burst but not massively worrisome.
My New Class Idea

Darth_Dreselus
05.21.2013 , 10:27 AM | #20
It's a big deal for Shadows because it's all or close to all of your hp. For Guards and VGs, it a big burst but not massively worrisome.
Makes sense. Would not know as all the Shadows I know have rerolled.