Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

It should have been a pet class

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
It should have been a pet class

Macetheace
05.08.2013 , 06:15 AM | #1
like the hunter or warlock of wow, but instead of a creature, you get a squad for the trooper, machine like robot/probes for the agent, sidekick for the BH and partner for the smuggler

like hunters and locks, they are a permanent part of your class, in addition to you crew companion you get.

I wonder if it is possible to make them exactly that in 3.0? IT would be so cool, actually walking around with all of HAvoc squad. It will also feel a bit proprootionate, afterall jedi/sith are suppose to be a bit more powerful than a single perosn, but it balances out, since when they fight a trooper, they are fighting a team, not just one indicvidual, even though you have the main character of the party.

Shingara
05.08.2013 , 06:19 AM | #2
i doubt they will let us go beyond one active companion as it would be to easy to unbalance other classes espec with presence being a stat not to mention micro managment would have to be stepped up to a much higher degree as seen in games like mass effect.

There are classes within sw lore that could do something similar as beast master and droid masters are known about and even this game has beast masters and droid masters/techs within it.
Health Warning - Thread May Contain Nuts.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

Macetheace
05.08.2013 , 06:22 AM | #3
besides,.. i'm suprirsed theyd on't actually do these for warrior/rogue classes in other games that have magic users..given that magic is a huge advantage and when you meet magic users in lore they're always so powerful, it seems a bit ridiculous that for players a warrior can stand up to a mage. it should be warrior+squad, just like you ahve hunter+pet.

Moreso here in star wars, it ameks sense for the jedi/sith trained force users to be the solitary character, but the non-force users have a lteast one pet (companion). Adding a companion as part of the class dynamic won't be had though, when it boils down to it they are a glorified DoT. but if you can swpa control betwene your main character and a membe rof his squad or sidekick it can open some interesting interplay.

I've also always felt that, every sith/jedi mob you meet should be minimum a gold star mob and often a boss star mob. Only apprentice padawans can be lower, and they really should be tougher than those big robots to take down whether you're a force user yourself or a non-force user.

Arlon_Nabarlly
05.08.2013 , 06:27 AM | #4
Stop trying to make this game WoW, it's close enough already.

Aries_cz
05.08.2013 , 06:27 AM | #5
You are not just any trooper, you are the leader of the most elite squad the Republic has. That gives you access to training and equipment that can easily match any Sith you meet on battlefield. Even lightsabers have trouble blocking explosive grenades
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd and Czech Alliance, Red Eclipse
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

Macetheace
05.08.2013 , 06:27 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Shingara View Post
i doubt they will let us go beyond one active companion as it would be to easy to unbalance other classes espec with presence being a stat not to mention micro managment would have to be stepped up to a much higher degree as seen in games like mass effect.

There are classes within sw lore that could do something similar as beast master and droid masters are known about and even this game has beast masters and droid masters/techs within it.
yes, but it's possible, and played well should be extremely probleamtic for single player characters like the force users to come against, giving an extra edge to playing non-force users..how cool woudl it be to have a squad with you permanently?

Presence would still only apply to your companion character, which would be a separate addition to your team. Afterall, the force usrs also move around with companions. so your partner/squad/sidekick/robot probes would be a permanent part of your main class. i was thinking even in the case of the smuggler and bounty hunter who get just one addition they gave you a choice to design that character when you acquire him in the quests. but it is something they can adjust for.

NExt expac would probalby have a bigger jump, but even if not, it would be interesting. and it's will not be a case of some people won't like the change, because everyone already uses a companion, so having a permanent one as part of your class in addition to your normal companion won't put anyone off,

Shingara
05.08.2013 , 06:29 AM | #7
Most classes in mmos that have servitude aspects are generally squishy by nature and rely on the pet servent to be there main focus of defense, this game does not. Within swtor the servent is there to alter the dynamic of the main class controling them, its done in such a way that the servent doenst weaken the main but enhances it but not lessoning the main by having it.

For the swapping thats another matter, to be able to take direct control of the servant outside of micro management would in essence create the state that the servent becomes the main, requiring the skill set varients way above what they have or require at this time.

And again multi managing servents would require a much deeper micro managment system and also how far would it take enhancement to the next stage which is main focus.
Health Warning - Thread May Contain Nuts.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

JPryde
05.08.2013 , 06:30 AM | #8
Few points:

1. This game is close enough to WoW mechanics as it is already. We surely do not need to copy everything, that is left.

2. The force is a strong ally, but a carefully aimed blaster is too. There is a reason, that there is no non-FS melee swordfighter, as they would be without a chance against a trained jedi or sith.

3. There is no reason for jedi/sith to be any more alone than a bounty hunter or smuggler. Jedi usually travel in set of two.. the jedi and their padawan or a master and a jedi. Sith also got a minion with them easily. Smuggler and agents however rely on secrecy and are more likely to travel alone (especially they are very unlikely to bring a stinking barking 2m-tall ape with them)

4. The companion system already makes all classes a pet-class. I do not see any incentive to make all places crowded even more by adding more companions to the scene.

5. No it shouldn't.
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

Macetheace
05.08.2013 , 06:31 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Aries_cz View Post
You are not just any trooper, you are the leader of the most elite squad the Republic has. That gives you access to training and equipment that can easily match any Sith you meet on battlefield. Even lightsabers have trouble blocking explosive grenades
yes,.. but this is a bit muted by the fact that there are thousands of other most elite troopers running around. You're a Major too, not a General or Grand Admiral, and whiles youare really are something special, it is weighted agianst the fact that you're not the be all yet.

Since you already have 5 companions, Chapter 5 could have you decide to choose one of them to be a permanent accompanier, whiles the others continue to operate as companions do, i.e. you can't summon them in warzones/ops, send em on crewskills etc. Furthermore. Did i mention how cool it would be to move around with a squad of 4 or 5 rather than just a toon or a pair of toons? that fits the Toropers MO, it woudl nto be cool running around with 4 other jedi, or a sniper strike team. Not the same thing.

JPryde
05.08.2013 , 06:33 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Macetheace View Post
Did i mention how cool it would be to move around with a squad of 4 or 5 rather than just a toon or a pair of toons?
Actually... no I do not see that as cool at all.

This is still a multiplayer roleplay game, not a strategy game, where every player is moving small armies around. If you want to move around with a squad, join a guild and have them come along.
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !