Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

EA quarterly report

MelodyofLegends
05.07.2013 , 09:19 PM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by Projawa View Post
Bolded for emphasis.

These are the so-called high-rollers- subscribers who spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on cartel coins. I know 2 such people.
I agree... mostly due to personal first hand knowledge...
you see on top of my sub....

over the course of the cartel markets lifespan, I have spent over 1600 US dollars on coins... over six hundred on bill me later credit, and 2 different 500 dollar capital one credit cards... and of course an unaccounted amount on my debit card... I spentd this mostly on packs for several different characters.

and before anyone comments YES I am talking to my counselor and psychiatrist about my spending addiction... and NO the this is not a new problem for me... I have had spending problems ever since my mother died in 2007...

but for what it's worth I love the game and while I regret going so crazy... I still intend to make the occasional cartel market shopping spree!
Embrace an absolute love which brings warmth upon a frozen wind....

Zsavooz
05.07.2013 , 09:28 PM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by MelodyofLegends View Post
I agree... mostly due to personal first hand knowledge...
you see on top of my sub....

over the course of the cartel markets lifespan, I have spent over 1600 US dollars on coins... over six hundred on bill me later credit, and 2 different 500 dollar capital one credit cards... and of course an unaccounted amount on my debit card... I spentd this mostly on packs for several different characters.

and before anyone comments YES I am talking to my counselor and psychiatrist about my spending addiction... and NO the this is not a new problem for me... I have had spending problems ever since my mother died in 2007...

but for what it's worth I love the game and while I regret going so crazy... I still intend to make the occasional cartel market shopping spree!
WoW! I mean, WoW! You have an addiction and I suggest the counseling you are seeking is a good choice. There is no reason to put yourself in such financial difficulties over this rather mundane social experiment.

Arkerus
05.07.2013 , 10:15 PM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by Angedechu View Post
It would be nice if people admitted that the said report also said that subs are now below 500k.

It's not a good news.
Someone missed the part about how you can't measure a "F2P" game by subs alone. This is not WoW, it is not a straight comparison.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

vian
05.07.2013 , 10:42 PM | #94
It would be nice if people admitted that the said report also said that subs are now below 500k.

It's not a good news.
People have admitted that; it's right there, upthread, you go look. And if it were a sub-only model, then SWTOR would be skating the fine line between profitability and cancellation. And yes, that would be bad news. But the situation has changed and it's not a sub-only model any more. A lot of people who were subbed are now F2P. And a lot of people who never subbed are also F2P.

Player numbers are up, revenue is up, the game is in pretty good shape financially. BW/EA saw the sub-only model was not going to be viable, and they changed to one that apparently is. How is that not good news?
Two blasters; no waiting!

Paitryn
05.07.2013 , 11:35 PM | #95
Imagine a game like Mass Effect, but set in the Thrawn campaign !
Um...um...um...

but in all fairnes the new trilogy is unknown at this point. it could destroy all EU from the end of EP 6 forward. Which is both good and bad. NJO stuff was terrible imo, but the old series (like the Thrawn campaign) were brilliant.

Dawgtide
05.07.2013 , 11:41 PM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by Eillack View Post
Isn't EA behind though from last year still? That's the message I saw haha.
Here is what they said:

1. Earnings rose to 55 cents per share from 17 cents a share in the year-earlier period. That is good. That was right after SWTOR came out right? Analysts had expected the company to report earnings of 57 cents a share, so that is not good, but not a tremendous difference.

2. Revenue improved 6 percent to $1.04 billion from $977 million a year ago. Expectations were on $1.03 billion in revenue. That is good, they beat expectations on total gross income. So that tells us total money was higher, but there were more expenses, debt, etc. possibly even this cost to buy the Star Wars Brand. Still not a huge difference.

3. Net income fell to $323 million, or $1.05 a share, from $400 million, or $1.20 a share, a year earlier. That definately shows what I said from number 2. They spent some money this quarter. Whether that was for Star Wars, severance packages to cut employees or whatever.

In simple terms for those not in business:

Revenues UP
- Operating Expenses
Net Income DOWN
-Debt
-Taxes
Earnings Better than last year, but slightly below expectations

Supposedly, the stock jumped 8% after hours, but we will see how it will do tomorrow after people have slept on it. One thing is for sure though, the worry about losses from SWTOR is gone. The stock price will move based upon expectations and it appears the bad news about the CEO, employee layoffs and SWTOR losing money are not causing concern at all going forward if the jump in price is right.

Sounds like good times and the best news for me is that Bioware is alive and kicking and working on Dragon Age 3.
My Crew: * Dielika Dawgtide - Bodyguard Mercenary * Horris Dawgtide - Gunnery Commando * Tideford Dawgtide - Balance Shadow * Jadefaith Dawgtide - Engineering Sniper * Railroad Dawgtide - Vigilance Guardian * Forestry Dawgtide - Madness Sorcerer * Meagan Dawgtide - Sawbones Scoundrel * Domenica Dawgtide - Immortal Juggarnaut

MoobooMagoo
05.07.2013 , 11:43 PM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by Paitryn View Post
Um...um...um...

but in all fairnes the new trilogy is unknown at this point. it could destroy all EU from the end of EP 6 forward. Which is both good and bad. NJO stuff was terrible imo, but the old series (like the Thrawn campaign) were brilliant.
I THINK I remember hearing that they would try to respect EU content as much as possible. I might have just imagined that, though, because I don't remember where, so take it with a grain of salt.

ON TOPIC: I've been wondering when the report was going to happen. I know the server I'm on is really healthy but I didn't know about the others, so it is good to hear the game is going well.
Explorer: 80% Achiever: 60% Killer: 47% Socializer: 13%

Daniel Erickson and the Amazing Technicolor Dream-Abs

Shingara
05.07.2013 , 11:47 PM | #98
Anyone got a link to the actual report, i am wondering what impact makeb had on the sub numbers cos i dunno how many others did this but i dropped subs for a month when i bought makeb, i know sneaky sneaky

But bioware/ea heads go grab Patrice Désilets whilst he is available.
Health Warning - Thread May Contain Nuts.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

Aries_cz
05.08.2013 , 12:30 AM | #99
Imagine a game like Mass Effect, but set in the Thrawn campaign !
I will admit i never got around to read the Thrawn trilogy (not really ABY EU fan, but i guess I will have to give it a shot during summer break, as everyone is praising it), but Mass Effect-like game set in any SW era would be awesome, as long as it will not just be a "movie companion" game, which usually suck...
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU-PvP)
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

PanikSpreder
05.08.2013 , 01:05 AM | #100
Well, thats good news I guess!

Now we just need a revamp of the Space Combat (JTL style), a new operation and a few more warzones to keep people playing! Go go go!