Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So whats my intial reaction after my first full night of SWTOR?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
So whats my intial reaction after my first full night of SWTOR?

Davuk
05.06.2013 , 08:47 PM | #1
Decided to jump over from wow and try Swtor. So whats my intial reaction after my first full night of SWTOR?

26GB DOWNLOAD IN 112 SEPARATE INSTALLS WITHOUT ANY SENSE OF PROGRESS ARE YOU CO CO FOR COCO PUFFS.

So after asset 1 10 G I thought woot I get to play . Wait no there's another..
OK 2's installed here we go ... oh wait there's another one.
OK 3's done Star Wars here I come oh wait .... add nausea.
111 done and now just to drive you over a wall 112 is 2.5GB

FREAKING REALLY?

Anyone ever heard of a progress bar? Stop taking lesson from microsoft how hard is it to put 100 of 112 or whatever it is?

Been siting here for 4 hours thinking I could play any minute just to get another install followed by another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another just to finally write a forum post to ask.

How many of these stupid assets are there?

Davuk
05.06.2013 , 08:49 PM | #2
Now on main asset 113
oops no wait

KBerling
05.06.2013 , 08:52 PM | #3
The game can take a very long time to download depending on your connection. At home I downloaded in 2.5 hours. At the office, 12. It's a very big game and is absolutely worth the wait. Welcome aboard.

Davuk
05.06.2013 , 08:58 PM | #4
now I'm back to asset 81 *** do I say to that after 114 installs I go back and do asset 81 this is sureal.

CyberTronX
05.06.2013 , 09:02 PM | #5
My client is currently at 22.1 GB. Feel bloody lucky. On my connection it took me two straight days to download tor on launch at 120kbps. Yeah. HOWEVER, it does go considerably faster once you get the biggest pieces done. You're in the home stretch.

Further, looking in my assets folder, there are 95 items. That may or may not help you get a picture of where you're standing.
"The following statement is false: The previous statement is true.
Welcome to our corner of the Universe." - Anonymous Seefra Denizen CY 10210

Davuk
05.06.2013 , 09:06 PM | #6
oh wait after 114 main assets it started over and starts counting again with English assets. What the hecks the point of the progress bar? This is bad very bad. For a first impression its terrible. I accept that the game is big and if it all has to load I'm good with that but anything else (non-Microsoft) has a progress bar. So you know how long until it completes its ui design 101 give feedback to the user that your doing something as well as feedback of how much remains to be done.

CyberTronX
05.06.2013 , 09:08 PM | #7
The download UI needs a total size / timer counter I agree completely. There is a per file bar right above the large one at the bottom, but it won't tell you the size of the entire download that's left. What I can tell you is that the English Assets files were among the last I had to get, if I can remember the process. It was over a year ago.

I wish the game had a "play as you load" option like some of the other MMOs, but with some it's just not possible.

Davuk
05.06.2013 , 09:44 PM | #8
So From what I can tell for the next poor schmuke that trades in an lfr dps que for swtor install as of 5/6/2013 its
114 main assests
followed by
116 english assests
followed by
about 100 Game Client assets

Considering these are all close to the same number I wouldn't be surprised to find there are 116+ of each some just go to fast for me to see.

At the end of it all the Download client makes a sound. So start the download and go Que for TOT LFR when you hear the distinctly Star Wars power up sound your GTG.

Again if anyone on SWTOR Staff reads this PLEASE add a freaking overall progress bar. Or at bare minimum post the number of each type pf file in the patch notes I spent a better part of 1 hour during my 5 hours of progress bar hell searching for any place that told me how many files I had to download.

Davuk
05.06.2013 , 09:47 PM | #9
And just in case my SWTOR directory is now at 22gb. So that would be another way for you to track your progress at least on windows anyway.

CyberTronX
05.06.2013 , 09:48 PM | #10
I did the exact same as you - looked around for someone who had posted just how many of each file I had to go through. Anyway, glad it's done for you now, and welcome to the game! If you have questions about anything related to the game, go ahead and post em' in the forums. Can talk to me in-game or in a PM if you like as well, I'm always happy to help newer players.

Again welcome aboard