EA signs exclusive SW rights with Disney

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dark day

Why is that a dark day ?

When Disney took over LucasArts, people were going crazy about it in fear of SWTOR being closed down by Disney.

Now EA is cementing the future of SWTOR by not only keeping the licence agreement for SWTOR, but also signing another contract for exclusive SW-rights for games... How is that a bad thing ?

Why is that a dark day ?

When Disney took over LucasArts, people were going crazy about it in fear of SWTOR being closed down by Disney.

Now EA is cementing the future of SWTOR by not only keeping the licence agreement for SWTOR, but also signing another contract for exclusive SW-rights for games... How is that a bad thing ?

Oh, I don't know. Maybe it has something to do with EA's stellar record of producing only the absolutely best games... :rolleyes:

Since they have the exclusive contract, they won't even have the impetus of competition to even give a half-hearted attempt to create anything great.

There will never be another great Star Wars game (think KOTOR) until this contract is over.

Edited by DarthTHC

Oh, I don't know. Maybe it has something to do with EA's stellar record of producing only the absolutely best games... :rolleyes:

They are terrible, but let's not judge them by what Star Wars fans think of them.

There are very few fan bases as vile and unforgiving as Star Wars fans who seem to think that in order for something to be acceptable it has to be from the 70s. :rolleyes:

RiP STAR WARS

Probably a tad pre-mature. . .

But, I'd definitely say it's CTD. I'd like to be optimistic -- but I just don't think I can anymore.

EA has pissed in my glass too many times. Yeah it's full -- but it's full 'o piss!

Why is that a dark day ?

because there's no competition..now with EA holding the rains to SW games..it'll become like Madden..just the same drivel released once a year or whatever it is they do.

SWTOR also was a flop..they said in several interviews while making the game they were gunning for WoW...when it failed hard and started bleeding subs they "changed their tune" and said they never expected to take on WoW..it was all BS.

EA getting exclusive rights to SW is in no way a good thing. It'd be better for SWTOR to be shut down quite frankly..and I enjoy the game..while I've taken breaks here and there I've always subbed before playing again. And I've supported it by buying things from the CM even with the pittance they give sub's. That doesn't change the fact that them geting an exclusive deal..blows..and blows hard.

Let's get one thing out of the way real quick. The article does not say if they WILL or WON'T keep SWTOR around. It simply says Disney and EA have signed a licensing agreement. If the game doesn't have enough of an ROI to keep resources on it, then they'll shut the game down. Simple pimple.

Don't assume the game will stay around solely because of a licensing deal, but it should calm any fears that the Disney takeover would solely be the end of this game.

Tell me, sir, how have the Mass Effect and Dragon Age franchises done under EA oversight?

First of the series was brilliant. Most recent was...?

The latest ME and DA games were very good. I don't understand all the **** storm against them.

Bioware aside though. EA has put out some either really ****** or really controversial games over the last couple years.

SWTOR also was a flop..they said in several interviews while making the game they were gunning for WoW...

lol people still use this as a legit argument?

When was the last time any company made anything that wasn't promoted as life-altering, Second Coming-important?

What should they have said they were gunning for, if not the leader in this market? SWG and its few thousand players?

Tell me, sir, how have the Mass Effect and Dragon Age franchises done under EA oversight?

First of the series was brilliant. Most recent was...?

....crap churned out as a sequel in order to get quick money on not much more than name recognition. If EA took the time and effort on sequel games as it did on the original, people would not be so upset.

Edited by HelinCarnate

because there's no competition..

[...]It'd be better for SWTOR to be shut down quite frankly..and I enjoy the game.[...].

So before this exclusive contract was announced, you seriously thought, that some other company would buy another license for a SW-MMO and get it at the same time, while SWTOR is still running ??

Very unlikely. Even the ancient SWG-license was not renewed when SWTOR was about to be released.

There will never be more than one SW-MMO at the same time.

There will never be more than one Star Trek MMO at the same time.

Marvel and DC might push one Superhero MMO at the same time, but neither will make two in their universe. You will never see a Batman MMO and a superman MMO... you see them both in the same MMO.

Not even Hello Kitty would license two MMOs at the same time.

Edited by JPryde

Oh man, this totally ruined my day. Madden anyone? I can't wait to pay 60$ to play the latest map packs of "Call of the Force" every year. Mass Effect 3? Great game, horrible ending. DA2? All around horrible. SWTOR? Great idea with implementation that has been questionable at best. I have a feeling that this may be my last Star Wars game, and that's sad.

I think RIP STAR WARS is a bit doom and gloom BUT I will say that as an "older" gamer I have watched EA crash and burn on so many game franchises it's not even funny. EA ruins EVERYTHING...and I mean everything. They are the single worst game company in existence and they will continue to ruin awesome game franchises by sucking at literally everything they do. Madden is the one exception and even that franchise had a serious decline in quality as of late.

Everything EA does is about money...not that I fault them for that concept because money makes the world go round, HOWEVER, it doesn't help that they can't produce or make a game without taking over existing franchises or buying "exclusive rights" to certain franchises...*Cough* NFL exclusive rights :rolleyes: They don't have a single creative bone in their collective bodies...at least employ actual talent EA I mean really.

....crap churned out as a sequel in order to get quick money on not much more than name recognition. If EA took the time and effort on sequel games as it did on the original, people would not be so upset.

We have a winner!

EA doesn't innovate. Their executive team doesn't possess the intestinal fortitude to fade the risk.

Instead, EA buys companies that innovated and were successful and makes them repeat their games as sequels a few times until the games' players realize there's no longer any innovation and the games sorta suck now. Then EA shutters that company and looks for another one to buy.

Therefore, any and all Star Wars games produced under this contract will be rote re-writes of the same old same old the EA sub-companies have been doing since before EA bought them. No innovation. Nothing cool. No "wow" factor.

In short, there will be no good Star Wars games (think about how KOTOR stretched things) while this contract remains in force.

:rak_02:

SWTOR also was a flop..they said in several interviews while making the game they were gunning for WoW...when it failed hard and started bleeding subs they "changed their tune" and said they never expected to take on WoW..it was all BS.

If you release a similar product you should always try to beat the competition, that's how you drive your product to be good.

They just didn't realize that people spent 7 years on a game and aren't going to jump ship even for star wars.

I would hardly call SWTOR a flop, they made more than their money back and are obviously making a lot of money now. The market just transitioned from subscription to F2P models mid SWTOR's life span. (if you haven't noticed every mmo released these days is free to play)

Edited by KhealThar

We have a winner!

EA doesn't innovate. Their executive team doesn't possess the intestinal fortitude to fade the risk.

Instead, EA buys companies that innovated and were successful and makes them repeat their games as sequels a few times until the games' players realize there's no longer any innovation and the games sorta suck now. Then EA shutters that company and looks for another one to buy.

Therefore, any and all Star Wars games produced under this contract will be rote re-writes of the same old same old the EA sub-companies have been doing since before EA bought them. No innovation. Nothing cool. No "wow" factor.

In short, there will be no good Star Wars games (think about how KOTOR stretched things) while this contract remains in force.

Yup. This pretty much sums it up.