Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dye colors

Andryah
05.06.2013 , 02:00 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Fantazm View Post
Dye colours shouldn't be rare. As purely cosmetics they should all be equally available to anyone.
Rare in this MMO simply means it will be higher priced on the GTN as almost all this sort of thing is BoE in SWTOR.

And for the record.. in all the years I have played MMOs.. there have always been some gear dyes/dye_colors that were more desired.. and hence more rare and more costly for players.

Personally, I like that there may be some desireable dyes in /random inside cartel packs. It means lots of them showing up on the GTN and people cutting each others throats to unlist and sell pack items. I'll buy early and buy often and hoard for later use on my characters. Black and White (true black and true white) have almost always been premium and highly sought colors for gear in my experience.
I'm back..... in advance of KotFE.

Gwena
05.06.2013 , 02:13 PM | #12
In some games, I can kind of understand having a basic dye like "black" be rare, and I completely understand having some colors be rare in general. However, my wish is that the devs will consider their own game carefully when deciding on rarity and availability. I hope they keep in mind that:

1. This is Star Wars. Loads of people play Sith. Black is not only a very desirable color in general, but is, dare I say it, an "iconic" or "classic" color for Sith, and even Jedi with darker inclinations. If our characters all dressed like Smugglers and Bounty Hunters, I could see black being a super rare dye. However, they do not.

2. Dyes are one-use, this is not GW2 where you can apply a dye endlessly once you have unlocked it.

3. It seems to me that there will not be an extensive selection of dye colors, if you consider the whole primary/secondary slot thing. Now, if "pure black" is super rare, but "abyss" and "charcoal" are not too hard to get, that is fine. But if they only have one dye module that can change your main armor color to a color that is reasonably close to black, and it is super expensive, that would be lousy.

Just my 2 cents . . . as always, I will wait until I see it in-game to formulate a proper opinion. I am actually very excited for the dye system and am more interested in colors like light blue and pink than I am in black.
Ecc 1:9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

DarthTHC
05.06.2013 , 02:15 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Gwena View Post
In some games, I can kind of understand having a basic dye like "black" be rare, and I completely understand having some colors be rare in general. However, my wish is that the devs will consider their own game carefully when deciding on rarity and availability. I hope they keep in mind that:

1. This is Star Wars. Loads of people play Sith. Black is not only a very desirable color in general, but is, dare I say it, an "iconic" or "classic" color for Sith, and even Jedi with darker inclinations. If our characters all dressed like Smugglers and Bounty Hunters, I could see black being a super rare dye. However, they do not.

2. Dyes are one-use, this is not GW2 where you can apply a dye endlessly once you have unlocked it.

3. It seems to me that there will not be an extensive selection of dye colors, if you consider the whole primary/secondary slot thing. Now, if "pure black" is super rare, but "abyss" and "charcoal" are not too hard to get, that is fine. But if they only have one dye module that can change your main armor color to a color that is reasonably close to black, and it is super expensive, that would be lousy.

Just my 2 cents . . . as always, I will wait until I see it in-game to formulate a proper opinion. I am actually very excited for the dye system and am more interested in colors like light blue and pink than I am in black.
Of course they're taking Sith and Dark Jedi into account. Why else do you think the black dyes will be the most expensive to obtain in terms of cartel coins?

Sobur
05.06.2013 , 02:16 PM | #14
Sense its seems bioware hates the crafting system , i'm sure all the cool colors will be cartel only.

DarthTHC
05.06.2013 , 02:17 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Sobur View Post
Sense its seems bioware hates the crafting system , i'm sure all the cool colors will be cartel only.
There there, they don't hate the crafting system. They just love money. Here, have a cookie. They're fresh baked.

branmakmuffin
05.06.2013 , 08:54 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Gwena View Post

It's precisely because everyone wants to be "bad-a** Sith in black" that black will be a hard to find or expensive color. It's the hardest to obtain color in LotRO as well (the crafter who makes it has to get a crit result while crafting rust-colored dye).

Gwena
05.06.2013 , 09:47 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
It's precisely because everyone wants to be "bad-a** Sith in black" that black will be a hard to find or expensive color. It's the hardest to obtain color in LotRO as well (the crafter who makes it has to get a crit result while crafting rust-colored dye).
Ah, yes, I am sure that it will be a popular dye color! I suppose what I was trying to illustrate is this:

Popular color + iconic for Sith + Star Wars game + moderate rarity = sought after and somewhat pricey
Popular color + iconic for Sith + Star Wars game + high rarity = sought after and super expensive

Sort of like how current items in the cartel packs vary greatly in price on the GTN, even if they are the same rarity. For example, you can usually find a Matriarchal chest piece for about 1000 credits on my server, but the Relaxed Uniform chest piece, which is the same rarity I believe, costs upwards of 50,000 credits. I imagine that the Relaxed Uniform top would be really expensive if it were a higher rarity!

Basically, I think that the color black will be expensive enough without having it be super rare, particularly if there is any RNG involved in obtaining it. Just my 2 credits though . . . and who knows how Bioware will actually determine dye colors rarity. I'm excited to see the system, regardless.
Ecc 1:9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

Ardiendos
05.14.2013 , 03:12 PM | #18
I picked up a white/white dye in the only cartel market pack I bought today and I am told that will probably be in high demand.

Also what's with the dye's being single use only? If it cost cartel coins it should be re-usable. I thought the whole customization system was founded on the realization that people make mistakes/want to make changes with regards to their characters appearance. Making dyes rare and single use is pretty unjustifiable.