Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A Rough Commando Healing Guide

haksilence
05.06.2013 , 12:20 PM | #1
**UPDATED 6/19/2014**

Hey, the name i will be going by for this post will be Kithide (pronounced Kitheed). I have been playing my Combat Medic Commando alongside my shadow tank since launch, my commando can currently be seen on The Harbinger raiding in <Intrepid>'s progression team and could previously be seen in <Ascension>'s progression team back on the Jedi Covenant.
I have amassed a notable amount of experience and skill with the class over the time spent in this game, even during which times when commandos were considered the black sheep of the healing community and were shunned from serious raiding and labelled "gimped", striving to prove common misconceptions wrong.

Well there are no misconceptions now! Commando's are solid healers and have all the tools they will ever need to to keep your raid group up and running to down that boss you've been grinding at for a week.

I'm here to show you how to use those tools to be successful, I hope this guide can be found helpful and useful.

open to criticism and all constructive critique will be taken into account and if i find the points made valid i will edit the post to include said point and include the contributors name at the end.
CHEERS!

Table of Contents
  1. The Terminology
  2. The Build
  3. The Abilites and Talents
  4. The Gear
  5. The Basics
  6. The Advanced
  7. The Kithide

The Terminology
Spoiler

The Build
Spoiler

The Abilities and Talents
Spoiler

The Gear

Spoiler

TL;DR:
Run Half Alacrity and Half Surge
400 or so crit
Focused Retribution and Serendipitous Assault Relics
Aim Augments

The Basics

Spoiler

The Advanced
Spoiler

The Kithide

Spoiler

Yes yes yes i know, i *Could* have placed the Kithide healing style in with the advanced section but i wanted to emphasize the experience gap between healing the advanced style and the kit style as well add a little bit of my own flavor to the guild :P if I write a solid guide but you dont remember it, what good did it do?

If there are any additional questions or concerns please feel free to leave a comment and I will answer your question and update the guide to reflect that question, please let me know if there is anything ive missed.

Get out there and Earn us Commandos some of our healing credibility we have been so lacking for such a long time, and most importantly, Enjoy yourself.

Let me know how it all works out for you guys and post your preferred healing style =)

cheers mates see you all on the front lines.

haksilence
05.11.2013 , 02:39 PM | #2
Hmmm
Was hopping for some feedback, oh well. Hope this helped someone.

gsrmn
05.12.2013 , 08:39 AM | #3
ty for makeing this just what i looing for .im about to start healing and this is going to help me alot

Vroraxxas
05.12.2013 , 08:19 PM | #4
Great post, Thanks.

I've just hit 49, so have to start thinking about HM's soon. I think the option with both point's in Steady Hands is needed. No matter how good the Tank is, I just seem to draw agro. Even when I have not planted a single thing on the Tank and he jumps in, NPC's are at me. Even when using the Drop Agro ability. This rarely seems to have any affect. ( Maybe it's a bug!. )

But this healing Class really suits my Playstyle. So i want to become extremely proficient in it. This Guide will to be of help.

Quick question, how's best to cope with Tank plus Two Melee, I had this the first time the other day. I was quite unprepared for the amount of damage that was going out. ( Though in my defense, DPS did just tend to stand in the AoE.) Though I have gained in power now. I would like to be a bit more prepared in the future.

Thanks again, great post.

haksilence
05.13.2013 , 08:16 AM | #5
When dealing with a large qualtity of raid wide damage, use KB andd~KB on CD to smooth the damage as much as possible, as well KW is your friend. It will get better with experience and better tanks.

As for adds running to you off the bat.. this is a tanking issue not a threat issue. When a tank runs in he has exactly 1 threat. If he fails to damage those adds at all he will remain at 1 threat. That being said, the tiniest heal (trauma probe) will easily strip him of agro and any loose adds will flock to you.

Kickimanjaro
05.16.2013 , 05:46 PM | #6
Speaking of TP, it can sometimes be beneficial to place it on the tank after he has threat, otherwise you may take a lot of damage as you generate threat as TP heals. If I have TP placed on the tank as he enters the fight I drop threat once he starts tanking the main target just to make sure I don't steal threat.

Then again, this seems less important now than it did before and you can usually get away with having it on the tank before the fight starts. Still, it's something to know. Nice guide by the way, I've been working on a video guide for a while now but haven't finished anything yet so I know how difficult and time consuming it can be to make these, good work.
Kickimanjaro / Erinaceous / Stimfiend / Stüxnet / Áyrenn / Snipertoon
<Galactic Forces> on Jedi Covenant

Wanchope
05.17.2013 , 07:39 AM | #7
I'm interested in hearing more about your gearing recommendations. I have a few alacrity pieces but I have to say that I am not really sure if I am getting anything out of them. What are other folks doing with that? For the most part, all I hear is that folks are stacking power, power and more power.

haksilence
05.18.2013 , 07:38 AM | #8
The question is not between power and alacrity but alacrity and surge. Since power shares a stat slot with crit.

So ideally you will want a small amount of surge and then stack the **** out of alacrity. The power will come from the other stat slot.

haksilence
05.18.2013 , 07:42 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Kickimanjaro View Post
Speaking of TP, it can sometimes be beneficial to place it on the tank after he has threat, otherwise you may take a lot of damage as you generate threat as TP heals. If I have TP placed on the tank as he enters the fight I drop threat once he starts tanking the main target just to make sure I don't steal threat.

Then again, this seems less important now than it did before and you can usually get away with having it on the tank before the fight starts. Still, it's something to know. Nice guide by the way, I've been working on a video guide for a while now but haven't finished anything yet so I know how difficult and time consuming it can be to make these, good work.
TP is the most cost effective heal in the game currently and should always be placed on the tank. If you know your tank has an agro problem or does not front load his threat, then you may want to pause before placing TP on him. I would not reccomend blowing your agro drop at the beginning of the fight. I prefer to save it for when adds are present or soon to be present

Kickimanjaro
05.18.2013 , 07:51 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by haksilence View Post
TP is the most cost effective heal in the game currently and should always be placed on the tank. If you know your tank has an agro problem or does not front load his threat, then you may want to pause before placing TP on him. I would not reccomend blowing your agro drop at the beginning of the fight. I prefer to save it for when adds are present or soon to be present
Yes, I am starting to realize that this no longer applies. I took a break for a few months and came back recently and just kept doing what I used to do. Previously, if TP was cast on the tank as he entered the fight you would immediately draw threat from everything else in the room, thus requiring a threat drop. That seems to have been changed, sorry for cluttering up the page with that nonsense.
Kickimanjaro / Erinaceous / Stimfiend / Stüxnet / Áyrenn / Snipertoon
<Galactic Forces> on Jedi Covenant