Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

please stop telling people to " Go look it up online"!!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
please stop telling people to " Go look it up online"!!

Seireeni
07.27.2013 , 04:40 PM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by Never_Hesitate View Post
They learn easier, but people loose their reason to learn once the need they had is taken care of
From my experience, no. Or maybe I just think too positively about this (haven't happened for a while! So it would be interesting). Personally, if I i.e. asked "Where datacron x is?" and was answered "It's in place x. They're all listed in the internet too, I like to look them up from swtor-spy. Guides are probably more helpful than chat.", I'd say thank you and look for this site mentioned. If I was answered "go look it up online!", "Find it yourself" or "Google it", I would more likely think "Wasn't that a little rude?" or "It was just a simple question, no need to attack me". I certainly wouldn't look it up online, I'd feel like I've been bullied to it.

Basically, help them and they might like you/respect you. When they like you/respect you, they are more likely to listen to you. If you are just a stranger who refuses to answer their questions, they are less likely to listen to you.

Another thing is that some questions are faster to ask and answer in chat than look it up online. I.e. I have people asking in Taris "which is the nearest taxi point to Endar Spire?". Sure, they could google it, but it would take some time for them to open the internet, open google, and try to find a correct link for the information, but it takes a few seconds for me to type "the one at the sinking city".
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Red Eclipse - 22 characters - The Firslay Legacy

Never_Hesitate
07.27.2013 , 04:52 PM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
From my experience, no. Or maybe I just think too positively about this (haven't happened for a while! So it would be interesting). Personally, if I i.e. asked "Where datacron x is?" and was answered "It's in place x. They're all listed in the internet too, I like to look them up from swtor-spy. Guides are probably more helpful than chat.", I'd say thank you and look for this site mentioned. If I was answered "go look it up online!", "Find it yourself" or "Google it",
And I would just write:
"They're all listed in the internet too, I like to look them up from swtor-spy. Guides are probably more helpful than chat."

Because if someone goes and looks it up he has practiced the method and maybe already bookmarked the page.
(Plus the matter with datacrons is often the way to get them, which isn't always easy to explain)

Another thing is that some questions are faster to ask and answer in chat than look it up online. I.e. I have people asking in Taris "which is the nearest taxi point to Endar Spire?". Sure, they could google it, but it would take some time for them to open the internet, open google, and try to find a correct link for the information, but it takes a few seconds for me to type "the one at the sinking city".
That's another matter, for special objects (like the endar spire or things, that can't be found too easily on the map) I do give direct answers, because it is one thing and not a series (like helping with quests or datacrons)
T3-M4 - Lvl 60 Chars:
LeoniŽ&Caipha PT, Eleondra&Eleondraa Op
T'hana Jugg, Saleona Sniper
Hannahla Merc, CaphalÝr Sorc, Kindarya Assa

Ansalem
07.27.2013 , 06:38 PM | #83
google provides all the answers. Google be praised!

Seireeni
07.28.2013 , 03:16 AM | #84
Quote: Originally Posted by Never_Hesitate View Post
And I would just write:
"They're all listed in the internet too, I like to look them up from swtor-spy. Guides are probably more helpful than chat."

Because if someone goes and looks it up he has practiced the method and maybe already bookmarked the page.
(Plus the matter with datacrons is often the way to get them, which isn't always easy to explain)
Okay, I admit that telling them nicely to i.e. google swtor-spy can work, and maybe datacron was a bad example. Better one might be i.e. a poor new person who doesn't have an advanced class. From my experience, they have no idea what is it or how to get it. I have a bad habit to be so helpful that I walk with them to the fleet and make sure they get their AC. They are new to the game and I want to be nice to them, especially when I have to point out they have made something wrong (by not choosing an advanced class). I would consider just saying "You should pick up an advanced class." "How?" "Google it." a little rude and not very helpful. But it might be just me.
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Red Eclipse - 22 characters - The Firslay Legacy

Never_Hesitate
07.29.2013 , 02:24 AM | #85
Okay, I admit that telling them nicely to i.e. google swtor-spy can work, and maybe datacron was a bad example. Better one might be i.e. a poor new person who doesn't have an advanced class. From my experience, they have no idea what is it or how to get it. I have a bad habit to be so helpful that I walk with them to the fleet and make sure they get their AC. They are new to the game and I want to be nice to them, especially when I have to point out they have made something wrong (by not choosing an advanced class). I would consider just saying "You should pick up an advanced class." "How?" "Google it." a little rude and not very helpful. But it might be just me.
Don't get me wrong, I help people a lot of times and don't simply say "google it", I have walked multiple people through the process of picking an advanced class, even gave them advice what best suits their wishes and I would do it again.
If I say "look it up" I mostly provide the link to a specific side, that holds the information (yesterday I posted someone the way to breed an orokeet, because it wouldn't have been efficient to explain the complete thing in general chat on the fleet, while I wanted to go back to leveling)

I simply hate the people who are offended, when my answer to their question is "Open your map and activate the trainer tick in the lower left corner", if they try it and still don't find it I will gladly give them the area the thing they're searching for is in. (Like the GTN on dromund kaas for which you have to stand inside the building to see the symbol on the map)

Even if someone just writes "help" in the chat I will ask "where do you need help?" or if the person already looks like he'll be trouble (people with "Starkiller" or "LordUberSith" tend to be less nice I've found out ) I'll write "we are not telepaths"

So the decision if I help someone by giving them the answer directly or give them a link that provides the information they seek is made with the consideration of some criterias:
The way the question is asked ("help" or "can you help me with YX, please?" makes a huge difference)
The difficulty to condense the information in a few short messages (I can't always condense whole guides into a sentence or two)
The information seeked (If someone is looking for something that can be easily found on a map and it's like that on every planet, I'd much rather tell them the rough area they have to search in and then give them the way to recognice it on the map)
My current activity (While waiting for an ops to start I have a lot more time than while I'm leveling one of my alts)
My mood (Of course it has some influence and it makes answers longer or shorter)
T3-M4 - Lvl 60 Chars:
LeoniŽ&Caipha PT, Eleondra&Eleondraa Op
T'hana Jugg, Saleona Sniper
Hannahla Merc, CaphalÝr Sorc, Kindarya Assa

SnickerJew
07.31.2013 , 11:38 PM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by Dearthstone View Post
I like Tacos.
I concur.
The "Yolo"

Prototypemind
08.11.2013 , 12:42 AM | #87
Honestly, the learning curve gets so steep in HM and beyond that you almost have to know everything going in depending on what you're running. Most of the 55 HM FPs before were fine and the mechanics were obvious enough to pick up that maybe you wipe once, but you get it figured out. Definitely did not find this to be the case on my last FP though.

Ran Core Meltdown in SM no issue on both of my toons. Went to HM knowing there would be more to do but I thought it wouldn't be too bad. Healer explains the mechanics of the first boss fight with the generators. Run it as he says, one generator goes down, second doesn't and we wipe. Go to do it again, same thing. Third time I pull the boss right up on it and he smashes it once he starts his aoe but everyone's health is dropping to almost nothing, healer can't keep up, we wipe. Again running this based on the healer's explanation, but he says I LOS'd him so basically it's my fault we went down, never mind that everyone dropped at the same time.

Lo and behold, I hop online afterward and read up on dulfy then watch the vid and see that everyone should be spread much farther than they were and that had that happened, one, the aoe wouldn't have overlapped and two, the healer would have been angled where he could still heal me, same as other situations where the tank is against the wall and partially blocked by the boss.

Anyway, the point is that it pretty much falls to either sucking part of the fun out of the game by reading up on and/or watching vids on most everything outside of SM, and even for SM in some cases, or having to deal with people getting upset while you learn or running with guildies until you get it down and burning creds in the process.

People complain that queues take forever but have little patience for figuring things out, so maybe I will stick to running with my guild to avoid the headaches. Regardless, the point is that the frustration of learning new areas as the game progresses gets so high that it seems like you just have to give in and ruin the fun by knowing everything before you go in, at least if you're going to take your chances in group finder.

Ansalem
08.11.2013 , 08:08 AM | #88
google solves all these issues if only people would l2google.

NerdTech
08.11.2013 , 01:38 PM | #89