Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

please stop telling people to " Go look it up online"!!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
please stop telling people to " Go look it up online"!!

Nkya
05.07.2013 , 01:56 AM | #21
The online explanation are usually mode detailed, but you shouldn't skip asking other players how they will engage this fight. Some of them are clueless teachers (just telling negative hint "don't do this", talking jargon without ensuring it's understood or giving part of the trick because the rest is obvious for them.) In this case you rather have to figure out what's going on from another source.

But if your group (not just you) don't mind to learn the hard way, feel free to experiment your ideas on the bosses. The discovery is fun too.

Eshmael
05.07.2013 , 02:08 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Frog_brains View Post
ie on makeb the h4 savage skies, "how do you destroy the turrets?" we've all been there. we were all confused for a second,
No.
The "Esh" Legacy - LVL 690

Frog_brains
05.09.2013 , 11:13 AM | #23
ok lets just put this down to playstyles and that's that, i prefer to learn in game, and yes sometimes that involved dying and wiping. This way though i'm actually learning what's going on and i can apply the lessons learned to future situations. I enjoy the challenge and the discovery of figuring out what' going to happen next and how i'll have to react. The thing to that most people who 'suggest' go online is that you also spoil the encounter for people who are doing it for the first time.

The thing is i think this is more of a playerbase skill issue more than a game/boss mechanic thing. As a tank i need to know only a few things, interuptable? tauntable? (that info i can get right from clicking on the boss himself) LOS damage ( ie turn the boss), aggro swap, big burst damage (blow your deffensive cd's). you give me that information myself and any other tank that knows what they're doing and is geared for the encounter should do fine.

Same thing goes for healers and dps, except they should be asking different questions. like healer should be asking is there a cleanse, is there a time for group aoe heals, how hard are the mdps going to be hit by Aoe, etc. give a good healer that info and they should be fine.

I think in summary what i'm trying to vent here is that the people who are trying to learn the game through playing it. When they are asking questions in game they are looking for answers in game. They are not looking for an external resource for that answer. they are seeking help from people who have actual experience in it or that may even be willing to help 'walk' them through the encounter.

zzoorrzz
05.09.2013 , 01:24 PM | #24
asking in game = looking it up online, doesn't it?

Dragonexadon
05.09.2013 , 01:31 PM | #25
First, I agree.

In a great community this is how it should work
  • If you feel like helping someone who requested it in general then send him a tell.
  • if you don't feel like helping them, ignore them.

what normally happens
  • If you see someone asking for help, troll them.
  • keep trolling them , taking up more of your time then it would have by replying with a real answer
  • flood the general chat with your "witty" trolling.
FORCE EFFECT
|US-East || PVP Server || Casual Guild || End Game Operations & PVP
http://www.force-effect.net/

NoFishing
05.09.2013 , 02:25 PM | #26
The thing to that most people who 'suggest' go online is that you also spoil the encounter for people who are doing it for the first time.
Got it. You don't want to know anything about the fight before you can get a fresh experience. That's cool. Personally I'd prefer you find like-minded guildies or pugs to run it with. You could try "LFG S&V SM, only people who have never run it and want a fresh experience pls." I'm sure if you spam that for a week or so, you can find 7 other people to sign up for that wipe-fest!

The thing is i think this is more of a playerbase skill issue more than a game/boss mechanic thing. As a tank i need to know only a few things, interuptable? tauntable? (that info i can get right from clicking on the boss himself) LOS damage ( ie turn the boss), aggro swap, big burst damage (blow your deffensive cd's). you give me that information myself and any other tank that knows what they're doing and is geared for the encounter should do fine.

Same thing goes for healers and dps, except they should be asking different questions. like healer should be asking is there a cleanse, is there a time for group aoe heals, how hard are the mdps going to be hit by Aoe, etc. give a good healer that info and they should be fine.

I think in summary what i'm trying to vent here is that the people who are trying to learn the game through playing it. When they are asking questions in game they are looking for answers in game. They are not looking for an external resource for that answer. they are seeking help from people who have actual experience in it or that may even be willing to help 'walk' them through the encounter.
Oh, wait, now I'm confused. You actually DO want to know something about the fight mechanics before you wipe us with your trial and error. Ok, fine....go read any one of the excellent write-ups on the boss fights and mechanics. It will take you a couple of minutes, and absolutely will not spoil the fight any more than me retyping the exact same thing for the umpteenth time in ops chat.

Or, if you really really really don't want to go read about the fight, then join us in our voice chat. If you want to join a raid as a pug, you should have vent, teamspeak, and mumble all installed and configured already.

I swear to god, the next time someone asks for a fight explanation in chat, I'm just going to copy-n-paste the entire explanation from dulfy. With proper attribution, of course.

wainot-keel
05.10.2013 , 06:15 AM | #27
ok lets just put this down to playstyles and that's that, i prefer to learn in game, and yes sometimes that involved dying and wiping. This way though i'm actually learning what's going on and i can apply the lessons learned to future situations. I enjoy the challenge and the discovery of figuring out what' going to happen next and how i'll have to react. The thing to that most people who 'suggest' go online is that you also spoil the encounter for people who are doing it for the first time.
Which one is it ? You want figuring things out for yourself wipe after wipe after wipe or want you to be walked through by experienced players ?

Also, you think that people who make those guides, those who make those write ups with mechanics and tips haven't played the game and haven't experienced the fight ? I wouldn't take anything from Noxxic seriuosly, but Dulfy site is really good place to learn the basics of any fight.

dcgregorya
05.10.2013 , 09:09 AM | #28
If you're in a guild and you're doing content, by all means progress how you want to and how your guild is happy with you doing it. In a PUG though I expect you to know the fight. I'll give you a brief explanation - if you still can't grasp it, you're getting booted. I'm not going to wipe a whole raid for 45 minutes because one guy I might never chill with again refuses to figure out the fight.

Never_Hesitate
05.10.2013 , 09:16 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by dcgregorya View Post
In a PUG though I expect you to know the fight. I'll give you a brief explanation
I always love the tries to explain operator IX or the 2nd phase of the terror.
waiting for ...

Valek_Hawke
05.18.2013 , 03:48 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by NoFishing View Post
...It will take you a couple of minutes, and absolutely will not spoil the fight any more than me retyping the exact same thing for the umpteenth time in ops chat.
Somehow I doubt you've bothered to explain anything to anyone even one time, let alone an "umpteenth" time...in fact I'd be willing to bet you are probably one of the people I'm basing the rest of this post on...

That being said I personally do both. I read the guides and watch the videos (what few there are that are actually worth reading and/or watching) on the fight mechanics and I also ask in game in case there might be something that was not covered in the aforementioned. And while this may not be entirely "on topic", what tweaks my twizzle is when I see something like this pop up in general chat...

"LF Ballin' Tank Heals DPS & Pivot for HM55 slob fest - MUST have level xy Uber Ultra Extratesticular gear (thanks Fett), must know ALL fight mechanics perfectly by sound cues only and be able to execute flawlessly with no monitor, must be able to solo all boss fights...must link gaming Curriculum Vitae going back to at least Ultima IX to include highest Epic gear set and all achievements on every character you've ever created...blah blah blah..." You all know the ones I'm talking about...

When I see something like that the first thing that pops into my mind is "Damn Scooter! Aren't you about an arrogant f**kstick! PLEASE, share with us non-gaming gods and goddesses where and how exactly you Jacked into the Matrix and downloaded all of your gaming glory and prowess! Share with us how you were able to know every fight mechanic, every little trick or whatnot without ever asking a soul to explain something to you? Or how you were able to suddenly go from lowly noob gear to Extratesticular Godliness without ever being carried by better geared players on your meteoric rise to becoming a legend in your own mind? Well, I can see how in your arrogance you might not ask anything to be explained as in your mind there are none with more 133t mad skills than you and you make sure everybody knows it every chance you get.

This is not imo a helpful community by and large. Now, let me be perfectly clear and qualify that statement. I have met and chatted with some of the nicest and most helpful people one could want to meet in any gaming community, but sadly for every one of those people there are hundreds of little emo bastards who take the opportunity of someone asking a perfectly legitimate question to troll them, to mock them, to post some absolutely venom-filled vitriol and it's pathetic. I see those responses to questions and the first thing that pops into my mind is this guy

http://i.imgur.com/m1y42S7.jpg?1

screaming "Leave Britney ALONE!!!!" ... So sad