Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How Bolster works on 55 lvl and how min/max it

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
How Bolster works on 55 lvl and how min/max it

foxmob
05.08.2013 , 08:38 PM | #21
this is incredibly childish/immature, so I'm sorry in advance but...significal? rofl
Krackerjack/Deinon/Antiphon
JC -- Harb -- TEH

Astarica
05.08.2013 , 10:58 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Dawncatcher View Post
Since I had 2004 expertise before I even started getting Conqueror/Partisan, or in other words 2018-14, or -1 expertise per piece of gear, I don't think this is correct. I take an expertise penalty if I unslot my relics altogether and leave them empty, or if I use old war hero relics that already have expertise on them, but as long as I have any old non-expertise relics there, bolster seems to bring them up to Conqueror/Partisan minus 1 expertise. For the record, I'm using a matrix cube and a light side relic.
For some reason I lose 7 expertise if I use a Dread Gear relic even though that's rating 150, while using rating 152 implant results a loss of 2 expertise soi maybe relics are slightly different.

But that's fairly irrelevent because Serendpitous Assault PvP relics are clearly BiS for anyone who isn't a tank. The UW counterpart doesn't even proc in WZs I believe, so even if it had 100% the expertise it'd still be vastly inferior to the PvP counterpart.

Zadtro
05.09.2013 , 09:54 AM | #23
I am new to this thread so I have a quick question about making a guide which exploits the bolster system. Players that actually enjoy pvp farm for pvp gear but is it better to get pve gear now? Doesn't this defeat the point of endgame pvp if anyone can do it?

DeadBeatJedi
05.09.2013 , 10:11 AM | #24
Get rid of bolster.

Astarica
05.09.2013 , 10:15 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Zadtro View Post
I am new to this thread so I have a quick question about making a guide which exploits the bolster system. Players that actually enjoy pvp farm for pvp gear but is it better to get pve gear now? Doesn't this defeat the point of endgame pvp if anyone can do it?
You don't 'beat' the system ever, aside from one piece of rating 152 armor (because you don't need Partisan earring/implant to get Conqueror). The only thing this does is make you competitive while you're doing the very time consuming grind for Conqueror, which is rating 154. No piece of gear you use is better than rating 154 in this system, so by definition they cannot be better than Conqueror. Of course since full Conqueror takes a very long time, most people ought to be satisified to know that there's a way to be competitive against Conqueror without spending that much time.

Yesterday I happened to ran into someone who was wearing 2 pieces of purple 66 and rest PvP gear (crafted basic gear implants, which I'm pretty sure are 156 instead of 152) and his expertise was 1950, so it appears equipping a single piece of rating 156 gear results a loss of 30 expertise, and again you don't even need to see the stats to know that 2 rating difference cannot possibly make up for 30 expertise. Now, that guy was a smasher and the implants he was wearing was power + surge, so in this particular case he may have reasons to do this even at an overall lost of stat, as I'm pretty sure there are no power + surge combos for strength types from Conqueror (if they exist then this is horribly bad decision).

islander
05.09.2013 , 10:32 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by DeadBeatJedi View Post
Get rid of bolster.
ding ding.
Gžllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

Viper-Mist
05.09.2013 , 11:25 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by TonyDragonflame View Post
Bolster on 55 lvl is very good thing. Why? Because if you use it rigth, you never get bad gear gap disadvantage with your other mates or enemies. Now after 2.0 indeed, skill > gear, and it is great.
LOL you are a complete MORON.

You complain about bad gear gap then post how you think its completely ok to exploit the bolster system to gain stats advantage and how to do it.

Fu<k bolster and fu<k the exploiters who abuse the system to order to gain a stats advantage in PVP.

If you are doing better in 2.0 because of bolster, then its because you suck in PVP.
Not because bolster is good.

VaioStreams
05.09.2013 , 11:25 AM | #28
Never-mind just getting rid of Bolster. Just get rid of the Expertise system all together. it was confusing as hell then and it's confusing as hell now. change the PvP bracket so it's 10-29, 30-49 and 50+. Sub 55 PvP is much more fun because no one has to worry about this gearing issue. Expertise was non-issue. it was all about skill, that's how it should be in the first place.

KillaDeuce
05.09.2013 , 12:12 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by TonyDragonflame View Post
Bolster... snip...

/discuss
Thank you so much for this thread. It really needs to be stickied. I had no idea what to do gear wise at 55 for pvp with this half *** bolster system. Thanks so much.

Voted 5 stars.
Situational Awareness: improve your Unranked WZ experience
Charric - sniper - POT5 / Bastion
Verbšl - PT - POT5 / Bastion

Maelael
05.09.2013 , 12:33 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by VaioStreams View Post
Never-mind just getting rid of Bolster. Just get rid of the Expertise system all together. it was confusing as hell then and it's confusing as hell now. change the PvP bracket so it's 10-29, 30-49 and 50+. Sub 55 PvP is much more fun because no one has to worry about this gearing issue. Expertise was non-issue. it was all about skill, that's how it should be in the first place.
Mostly this. I'd agree with the level tiers if there were more people queuing for warzones.

However, I do like going after gear, its good motivation to spec out. I actually like the idea of PvP centric gear vs PvE centric gear.

Either they need to implement a system that works for balance and makes sense (most importantly, not exploitable), or get rid of Expertise. Other games do fine without a PvP centric stat. Bolster honestly keeps the PvP instances fun, and it comes down to more skill than gearing.

Group PvP has always been about Numbers first. That was taken out of the equation. Next would be a baseline of gear. Bolster done correctly takes that out of the equation.

After that is individual skill and group coordination. Lastly is proper classes/specs. If Bolster is fixed, thats what PvP will come down to - and I'm fine with that. It would be nice to have a proper class/spec fix, but I think that can be done with gear swaps and field respecs just fine.

Outnumbered overgeared PvP blowouts are boring as hell. The QQ I can't faceroll nubs people are pathetic, however the exploitable Bolster and lack of meaning to PvP gear concerns are valid.