Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How Bolster works on 55 lvl and how min/max it

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
How Bolster works on 55 lvl and how min/max it

Astarica
05.07.2013 , 12:48 PM | #11
Bolster is weird but if you simply assume that PvP gear is good and wear Partisan you wouldn't have any problem either. There are only 4 slots where it's feasible to use rating 152 gear, and 3 of those are parts where you shouldn't get Partisan to begin with (implants X 2 + earring).

I ran more various assortment of gear and found that wearing all low end PvE gear results an expertise in the range of 199X-200X. This is usually somewhere around 59.3% to 59.7% modifier. So it looks like PvE gear in general gives slightly less expertise but for the sake of simplicity there's really no point to dwell on a 0.3%-0.7% when you're trying to just trying to get enough gear to be competitive.

I reran my test and found that wearing Black Market earring over the random blue earring (Microfilament whatever that grows on trees) result a loss of 40 expertise for +13 aim, +10 endurance, and +7 power. 40 expertise is worth about 1.2% modifier, and it should be pretty obvious those stats aren't going to give you 1.2% more HP or DPS at all. So Black Market is terrible even compared to random PvE gear that grows on trees, let alone Partisan which is still slightly better.

I have not amassed rating 156 (purple 66) gear to test, but looking at the Black Market case, I suspect the expertise drop off must occur when item rating exceeds Conqueror (rating 154) and if it's consistent, then there's no way it could be worth it to use purple 66. It'd create a rather ironic situation where purple 66 is worse than blue 66 for PvP, but since Black Market is definitely inferior to Microfilament (equivalent of blue 66) for PvP, that's not as crazy as it sounds.

MasterFeign
05.07.2013 , 01:25 PM | #12
Nice guide indeed.

This thread goes to show, it's only a matter of time until the players figure out the optimal pve/pvp gear to wear in a game, gaining the maximum advantage, undermining BW's supposed benefit and use of a perfect Bolster system, where PVP gear is suppose to be far superior (or should be anyway...).

Astarica
05.07.2013 , 01:31 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterFeign View Post
Nice guide indeed.

This thread goes to show, it's only a matter of time until the players figure out the optimal pve/pvp gear to wear in a game, gaining the maximum advantage, undermining BW's supposed benefit and use of a perfect Bolster system, where PVP gear is suppose to be far superior (or should be anyway...).
Um the point of Bolster is to ensure PvP is NOT vastly superior. If that was the goal you wouldn't have Bolster.

There's nothing you can do here that will make your gear better than Conqueror. What it will do is allow you to very quickly come up with a gear that is competitive against Conqueror. You still want Conqueror in the long run.

TonyDragonflame
05.07.2013 , 01:49 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Aelaias View Post
63 armoring with set bonus is dread guard?
I use my old war hero 61 and elite war hero 63. Still dont have pve 61-63 armor, so dunno about that...
May the Force be with you!
Guardian vr 100 | Sentinel vr 93 | Scoundrel vr 91 | Vanguard vr 90 | Shadow v 85 | Guns v 75
Manhunter 140+k killed imps | TRE | ToFN

GNWP
05.07.2013 , 01:57 PM | #15
Spoiler

Guys, save this text. Because Bioware probably will delete this soon, since it's a evidence of their incompetence in designing MMO's PvP.
Thanks for the guide though. Now I'm ready for Ranked Warzones as a Defense Guardian in 2 days, just 2 days.
Why so long? Because I wear full DPS gear yet.

Maelael
05.07.2013 , 02:36 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by GNWP View Post
Guys, save this text. Because Bioware probably will delete this soon, since it's a evidence of their incompetence in designing MMO's PvP.
Thanks for the guide though. Now I'm ready for Ranked Warzones as a Defense Guardian in 2 days, just 2 days.
Why so long? Because I wear full DPS gear yet.
You read my mind, already saved.

The whole Bolster problem has kind of turned me off from level progressing and gearing up - as it seems going in PvE gear is about even or outdoes the PvP gear, which is fail. I was close to just finishing the storyline and giving up and cancelling sub. PvP is fun except in cases where the Bolster issue/exploit is obvious (Then its like, why bother and just leave the instance).

Thank you for the clear-ish guide Now to decide if I want to enjoy some Bolstered wzs with lowbie levels or go out and level.

Dawncatcher
05.07.2013 , 05:36 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by TonyDragonflame View Post
3. NEVER USE PvP and PvE gear in one set in general
You need or full PvP Armor gear, or full PvE Armor gear. If you will have, for example, PvE chest but PvP legs, you lose expertise.
Lots of great information here, but this part is incorrect. While replacing war hero with Partisan/Conqueror armor, one piece at a time, my post-bolster expertise gain was exactly 1 expertise per piece. With full war hero (except the relics -- relics were matrix cube and light side relic), I had 2004 expertise. It went up to 2006 when I got a Conqueror blaster and Partisan scattergun, 2007 when I replaced an armor piece, 2008 when I replaced another armor piece, and so on. Perhaps it is true for people with higher rated stuff than war hero, but for old non-expertise armor from back when the level cap was 50, there does not appear to be any expertise bolster penalty for mixing sets, so long the PvP and PvE mods are on separate pieces of equipment.

Dawncatcher
05.07.2013 , 05:46 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by TonyDragonflame View Post
What about relics?
Best relics is now new PvP ones, cuz Bolster count expertise on them *as is* and dont *bolstered* to up level. Get them first.
Since I had 2004 expertise before I even started getting Conqueror/Partisan, or in other words 2018-14, or -1 expertise per piece of gear, I don't think this is correct. I take an expertise penalty if I unslot my relics altogether and leave them empty, or if I use old war hero relics that already have expertise on them, but as long as I have any old non-expertise relics there, bolster seems to bring them up to Conqueror/Partisan minus 1 expertise. For the record, I'm using a matrix cube and a light side relic.

Astarica
05.07.2013 , 05:51 PM | #19
From my testing, using all PvE gear in all slots that are clearly below rating 152 results in an expertise range of 199X-200X. I have no idea why there's a difference, but you're looking at losing around 1-2 expertise per slot no matter what it is (as long as it's below rating 154, which is Conqueror). It results in something like 0.5% damage mod for all the pieces together, which can be treated as a rounding error for the sake of simplicity (it still matters, just not something you'd worry about). Because this amount is so small, you can simply compare the rating of whatever you use (as long as it's below 152) to whatever PvP gear you're shooting for (150 for Partisan, 154 for Conqueror). Crafted 152, under this model, is exactly 2 rating inferior to Conqueror, and crafted blue 66 gear is exactly 2 rating inferoir to Partisan. You can certainly live with a 2 rating loss while you're working toward Conqueror.

Genttry
05.08.2013 , 08:26 PM | #20
Very nice, thank you sir.