Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

why do so few people like to play tanks in this game.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
why do so few people like to play tanks in this game.

zzoorrzz
05.06.2013 , 02:53 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by CyberTronX View Post
I enjoy tanking. I enjoy requiring awareness, and planning things out in the moment, as well as leading a group.

What I dislike, and therefore what makes me not want to queue as a tank, are the people that place no respect in other group members. Things like pulling stuff I was never intending to pull, arrogance in group chat when I kindly give someone a pointer on how to do something better, and just all-around disregard for the job a tank actually does.

In my opinion it's not the game that causes a tank shortage, it's the bad dps / healers that tanks just don't want to deal with that causes it. That and I would say a large amount of people want no responsibility / accountability in a group setting and would rather just relax and dps, which is perfectly fine - that's their prerogative.
I've met tanks who went arrogant when I politely explained them what they could do better. So it's not problem of the other roles.

Valdrius
05.06.2013 , 09:40 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by SW_display_name View Post
  • Playing a tank places a lot of awareness pressure on you. You need to watch all the mobs, plan pulls, keep the healer protected and generally be alert and vigilant. If you zone out and tunnel 1 mob, aggro goes all over and people get very mad at you. So, tanking is viewed as stressful by a lot of people I think.
This.

Also, ive found a tank to be rather boring if everything goes smoothly, the same as with a healer who more often than not starts dpsing to pass the time, but if everything goes right for the dps, they start chaining up some attacks and their dps goes off the charts. It seems a good run depends on tanks and healers being bored while the dps have all the fun.
Valtrius Malleus - Watchman Sentinal
Jrel Malleus - Kinetic Shadow
The Malleus Legacy <Unavailable> The Red Eclipse

Zaxem
05.06.2013 , 09:50 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthObelisk View Post
Just wondering why there are so few tanks in the que ?
for me personally the only reason i don't go tank is because i don't want to suck *** and be the reason for fail groups
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.-Through passion, I gain strength.Through strength, I gain power.Through power, I gain victory.Through victory, my chains are broken.The Force shall free me 55 Juggernaut55 Assassin 50 Sniper 55 Mercenary50 Guardian55 Marauder

jasonthelamb
05.06.2013 , 09:59 PM | #14
You probably dont find tanks because tanks get tired of hearing **** about not keeping aggro or sucking... then they go do the same flashpoint with their guild without a hiccup.

Omophorus
05.06.2013 , 10:08 PM | #15
1) Highest skill floor to be effective. A half-braindead monkey can heal or DPS passably (not well) in this game. A half-braindead monkey cannot tank.

2) Most pressure... mistakes are always your fault, but you're just one small piece of success, at least in the eyes of the average player.

3) Competence taken for granted... if you're bad, people complain incesantly; if you're good, no one says anything, or you might get a token acknowledgement. Tanking skill is rarely acknowledged unless you're drastically above average.

4) No opportunity for Big Number Syndrome. You don't get big hits or big heals. People like BNS.

5) Have to pay attention the entire time. Can't zone out or watch funny videos on YouTube whilst tanking and still be effective.
Srs'bsns, Conquerer of the Dread Fortress
"This is why we don't bring Assassin tanks"
<Proper Villains> of The Ebon Hawk

pan_sObak
05.06.2013 , 10:47 PM | #16
nobody wants being constantly beaten!

tank is less fun (some say it), more claiming, more responsible - any wipe blame tank!
and it is not fun at all for solo playing - where DPS is 'musthave'
and as a tank you need have 2 sets of gear!

beside, overgeared DPS can run through hm flash even not bothering where "that noob tank" stick

have some tanks as alts and learning that way now
but i prefer healing and dps-ing
Tomb of Freedon Nadd, Pansobak Legacy
Merc 55, Jugg 55, Seer 55, Guns 55, Vang 55, Commando 55

Craft: Bio 450, Cyber 450, Arm 450, Armor 450, Art 450, Syth 450- no use of them!

ZoeTuah
05.07.2013 , 07:19 AM | #17
I play for flavor. I love agile/acrobatic & stealthy characters, I like melee, and I also like some degree of spirituality in a character. The Jedi Shadow is the perfect class for me. (Technically Assassin is more my style, but I hate playing Empire.)

I tank because I love having the enemies' attention on me. I love being the main character; the star of the show; the protagonist that the enemy will say, "I'll get you for this!" toward.

It can be hard as hell sometimes. And thankless. But it's oh-so-fun.

AGSThomas
05.07.2013 , 10:02 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Omophorus View Post
1) Highest skill floor to be effective. A half-braindead monkey can heal or DPS passably (not well) in this game. A half-braindead monkey cannot tank.

2) Most pressure... mistakes are always your fault, but you're just one small piece of success, at least in the eyes of the average player.

3) Competence taken for granted... if you're bad, people complain incesantly; if you're good, no one says anything, or you might get a token acknowledgement. Tanking skill is rarely acknowledged unless you're drastically above average.

4) No opportunity for Big Number Syndrome. You don't get big hits or big heals. People like BNS.

5) Have to pay attention the entire time. Can't zone out or watch funny videos on YouTube whilst tanking and still be effective.
All of this. I have a tank and I'm too lazy to play him.
MedÔvh - Deception Assassin (PvP DPS)
DÔomedes - Vengeance Juggernaut (PvP DPS)
Server: 5 Prophecies

Aelaias
05.07.2013 , 01:55 PM | #19
Personally I don't like tanking because of how weak they have been and still are in pvp. Things have improved with crit nerfs and shield buffs but still they are not what I was used to in warhammer online. Which is an extremely durable class able to solo anything other than a caster-healer type only in the event that "anything" decided to stick around long enough for the fight to run its course due to the tanks' pathetic dps.
Shadowlands
Letho - Vanguard
”beryn-Guardian
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...7-5e5489ff3b47

lironBD
05.07.2013 , 02:15 PM | #20
tank is by far the easiest spec for level up and solo content.
Why people don't like to play tanks? beyond me.
Europe -> The Red Ecplipse
Oracans-> Sith Pureblood Inquisitor Sorcerer