Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

why do so few people like to play tanks in this game.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
why do so few people like to play tanks in this game.

DarthObelisk
05.05.2013 , 10:39 PM | #1
Just wondering why there are so few tanks in the que ?
Jedi Sentinel 55 Jedi Consular 55 Jedi Shadow 55
Imperial Agent 55 Sith Assassin 55 Sith Sorcerer 55
Sith Warrior 50
Mercenary 55

SW_display_name
05.05.2013 , 11:03 PM | #2
Because being a tank means I can't have a healing spec.

I'm not being crass... that's really why I don't log my tanks in. I love tanking, but I like healing slightly more, so I'd rather gear my healers.

For most other people I think it's one of 2 things:
  • Gearing a tank means sacrificing big shiny stats like Crit and Surge for boring stats like Absorb and Shield. For tanks who love tanking, defensive stats are awesome. But for most people, they're disappointing compared to bigger damage numbers.
  • Playing a tank places a lot of awareness pressure on you. You need to watch all the mobs, plan pulls, keep the healer protected and generally be alert and vigilant. If you zone out and tunnel 1 mob, aggro goes all over and people get very mad at you. So, tanking is viewed as stressful by a lot of people I think.

And also, only 3 ACs out of 8 can do the Tank role.
  • For Knights/Warriors, most new players choose the dual-wielder that can't tank because TWO LIGHTSABERS.
  • For BH/Trooper, people tend to choose the non-tank ranged AC because the class feels more natural shooting things from range, and also TWO PISTOLS or GIANT GUN.
  • For Inquisitor/Consular, again, people tend to choose the non-tank spellcaster AC because it's a very appealing class and your first 10 levels are spent using a lot of caster abilities that endear you to that role.
So I think there's also just a shortage of capable classes, on top of a shortage of interested players. The tank-capable ACs tend to be the less shiny, exciting ones to new players.

I love it, though. Really fun job imo.

colemak
05.06.2013 , 12:41 AM | #3
I actually quite like being a tank, with quinn around my SW is taking down elites that out levels him by 4 levels. The only other classes that match it in survivability are the healer/DPS types.

Belly
05.06.2013 , 12:48 AM | #4
I'm more of a support guy myself. The tank may not be the leader of the group all the time, but he is still the one who controls the tempo during battle, it's a bit responsibility. A good tank during a FP run makes it a thing of beauty. A bad one can make the run a living hell.

I just prefer heals when it comes down to it.
Larcen 50(ish) Scoundrel Scrapper/Sawbones "They see me rollin...they hatin. They whining and sayin that I need some nerfin"
The Progenitor
And loads and loads of alts

Helig
05.06.2013 , 01:25 AM | #5
I roll DPS specs on my tank classes. Problem? /trollface

On a more serious note, there are plenty of tanks - it's just that most of them just run with their guilds. Pugging as a tank is about as thankless and stressful as pugging as a healer. You have the responsibility to lead without any real (besides votekick) tools to keep tools (pun intended) in line, you must know the instance well, you must maintain constant awareness of the entire fight and patrols, you have to be precise with taunts, etc.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

quirez
05.06.2013 , 01:40 AM | #6
As a tank i dont have to rely on others too much - however strange it may sound. And i love it.

I control the battle, i control the mobs and unless my dpsers are complete losers (which sadly happens too often in random ques) or healer is in tank gear (yep, happens to sorcs mostly - havent seen a merc tank geared, but at least 2 sorcs in absorb/defence gear) i know that if i do my job then the run will be smooth joyful.

For the last 2-3 days i've been playing my OP and changed roles from heal to dps all the time, and it ensured me that i should tank as often as possible, becouse i have much lesser impact on the smoothness of the run.

As a healer i get annoyed alot by tank and dpsers all attack 3 different targets, tanks not holding aggro and not using taunts and dps in general being DERP. Its not that bad becouse i can at least keep them all alive and it just takes a little bit longer but we manage. Unless they all go full herp-derp, then its simply a fail. The downside of being a healer is if the team is good - you are bored if they are bad at least you got some work

As a dps i was reaaaally disappointed... it felt GREAT to go and melt things down with my toxins and cull (i sooo love operative lethality gameplay) but it was great only as long as you have a decent team, or at least a decent tank. If both tank and healer suck, then just leave and wait for another hour for a FP pop-up...

So i decided never to go as DPS unless i know the team im going with (im more of a casual player, i simply dont have time for a hardcore endgame guild due to job etc) but its sooo hard to get one with group finder.

As a tank? What you really need is simply a "not-bad" healer. Rest is mostly up to you.

Back to the point - if you know that you can count on yourself to do your job, then go tank - its fun, its rewarding and you have the biggest impact on how the FP goes.

Haggardbr
05.06.2013 , 01:43 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by SW_display_name View Post
[*]For BH/Trooper, people tend to choose the non-tank ranged AC because the class feels more natural shooting things from range, and also TWO PISTOLS or GIANT GUN.
Oh I love you.
Someone agrees with me.

My main is a commando just because of that, the range thing. It's critical to me, after all, a soldier firing a heavy caliber rifle only 10 mt (for special and most used abilities, since most people don't use hammer shot all the time) away from the enemy? I mean, c'mon...

I also have a dps vanguard and I loved him when the range for special abilities were 30 mt, I really felt like a ****** soldier. Now he is pretty much left aside.

If only commandos could get an over-sized rifle or something like a machine-gun, like a M240B, instead of a cannon!

But I do use a rifle, mostly for dailies and HM flashpoints, but NEVER for Operations.
Sarah'kerrígan Jhom Kérrigan Jhota
Suarel

CyberTronX
05.06.2013 , 01:48 AM | #8
I enjoy tanking. I enjoy requiring awareness, and planning things out in the moment, as well as leading a group.

What I dislike, and therefore what makes me not want to queue as a tank, are the people that place no respect in other group members. Things like pulling stuff I was never intending to pull, arrogance in group chat when I kindly give someone a pointer on how to do something better, and just all-around disregard for the job a tank actually does.

In my opinion it's not the game that causes a tank shortage, it's the bad dps / healers that tanks just don't want to deal with that causes it. That and I would say a large amount of people want no responsibility / accountability in a group setting and would rather just relax and dps, which is perfectly fine - that's their prerogative.

Haggardbr
05.06.2013 , 02:34 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by CyberTronX View Post
What I dislike, and therefore what makes me not want to queue as a tank, are the people that place no respect in other group members. Things like pulling stuff I was never intending to pull, arrogance in group chat when I kindly give someone a pointer on how to do something better, and just all-around disregard for the job a tank actually does.
This pretty much sums it all.

I used to tank with the vanguard I mentioned above, because I did want tank before respec'ing him to dps... but I noticed that there are so many "trigger fingers" dps out there that just don't wait the tank to pull or say something in chat prior to the fights.

Once I ran a 50 HM with a sentinel that always pulled an entire group of mobs before I jump in, so what did I do? The more he kept doing that, the more I went to attack a completely different group and the other dps and healer kept giving me assistance and so this sentinel died several times in the same HM, then I just pulled the other group and finished what the sentinel couldn't do.

When we reached the last boss I told the sentinel to pull if he was so impatient about finishing a flashpoint and he told me to do it, so I thanked and told him to be more patient.
Sarah'kerrígan Jhom Kérrigan Jhota
Suarel

ChewyYui
05.06.2013 , 02:39 AM | #10
I like playing my tank, cause it's p*ss easy
The Progenitor - The Alteric Legacy - Kira-chan