Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consular Companions

Gumpey
12.21.2011 , 12:51 AM | #1
why do our companions suck, and I'm mainly comparing to knight, because i don't know what the other classes have yet.

Spoiler

Now, as a side note I've only gotten up to about 32 in beta/game so that's my limit with companion knowledge for how cool their personalities are, but just the classes/types of combatives they are seems to be a bit of a buzz kill imho.

So, what's up with that?!

and, discuss!
Jedi Sage <Illuminated Blade>
Valcyn Jedi Guardian - Iopoo Migyvie <BLADE>

Drakaris
12.21.2011 , 03:50 AM | #2
Consular companions are by far the worst in the game. If i was RPing or something, i would be raging like a mad chicken. Totally worthless and useless, maybe just the lizzard for tanking. Most of them don't even complement your skills.

For example if you're a sage you get:

- a lizzard, tank, good, let's move on
- ranged healer - totally useless (not to mention he keeps casting that s**t Holiday even if you turn that s#!t skill off...)
- ranged dps - yea... sage needs a ranged dps... right
- ranged tank - again with the range... why would a sage need another range companion? Or shadow player with ranged tank, pulling aggro off him forcing him to run back all the time...
- light melee dmg - ok, Nadia is proly more useful.

And here comes another problem. ALL OF THESE USELESS IDIOTS are strictly LIGHT side. So if i want to play for dark side points, i'm screwed. Qyzen loves me when i kill a "powerful" enemy, hates me when i kill a "weakling" to get my dark side points (he's a wannabe samurai). The doctor generally dislikes destroying stuff and basically hates me all the time. The twi'lek moron also has some moral principles and dislikes violence, unless it is against the Empire. The Lieutenant doesn't like... cruelty and breaking the law... right. And Nadia is a "pure angel from Heaven" - she loves to help the weak, to show mercy, to play with puppies and she hates cruelty, breaking the law, dark side, violence, betrayal... so yea, she automatically hates my guts. Basically i wouldn't care at all (i wish i was able to kill my companions, i'll slaughter every single one of the consular's useless morons). But it also affects the gameplay. If they hate me, they do missions longer, their crafting sux, so i have to buy BOATLOAD of gifts for them...

Seriously, the consular has the worst companions of all the classes - most of the companions are useless due to pointless skill set, their moral decisions are beyond ridiculous if you wanna go dark side and even their stories are so bad it makes baby Jesus cry... Whoever designed the consular companions needs to jump off a cliff. Because of such insanely stupid companions, the consular story is probably the worst, i know i enjoyed my beta sentinel and sith sorc a lot more. Consular story is just... boring as hell and these companions even make it irritating. The consular is an awesome class but whoever designed the story and the companions was either drunk, high or has the imagination of a frog. The. Worst. Companions. Ever. Compare these idiots to characters like Khem Val, Vette, Mako, Blizz (jawa with a flamethrower, dude, how cool is that...), a wookie, astrodroid...

Gonna stop here, already raging too much.

P.S. Consular = Worst. Companions. Ever. Useless. Piece. Of. Junk. All of them...
Vengeance Of The Fallen
Shalina

"Owning since 2003"
www.VoTF-online.net

ciaranthemoo
12.21.2011 , 05:48 AM | #3
if you go do the main story line on Nar Shadarr you'll get healer companion, who is useful enough if you are tank/dps. that's lvl 20 roughly.

i can work with Qyezen as i am dps, so he takes the punches i finish them off..

i've no way to compare with other classes or even sage, but for me they both work fine so far (lvl 24)

course i've got orange lightsabre, chestpiece, skirt and at least 2 others everything else is blue... all adds up to staying alive *breaks out in to song...
Player X "Shadows can't tank!" Response " Then i'll see you in HELL!"
Qoratan, Master of the Shadows
Luka Sene

Elvandar
12.21.2011 , 05:57 AM | #4
I have to admit unless you're a shadow tank then the only useful companion you'll ever get as a consular is Qyzen, and even he seems to be a weaker tank than what others get when it comes to the later part of the game at least.

I'm a sage and using Qyzen to go through Tatoooine and I've died way too many times now. When you put Qyzen up against the mobs on Tatooine he doesn't even feel like a tank anymore.

I think the bigger problem I have with companions is that they're forced. I like to have a choice if I want to use them or not, but after Nar Shaddaa there are plenty of non group quests which you cant do without a companion, in fact I've struggled with a couple even with Qyzen. BioWare shouldn't be forcing companions on us like that, particularly since those available to consulars suck.

Lannykins
12.21.2011 , 06:02 AM | #5
How is a healer companion useless?

I'm shadow and I've been running around with the robot you get from your ship and he has been pretty good at not letting me die when I get caught off guard by pulling a second group by accident. or when solo'in 2 player Heroics

EDIT: Also if I remember correctly there is a bug with companion abilities that if you dismiss mount or anything that makes them have to reload then all the changes you made to there pet bar (turning items off) get reset back to the default on.

Almeris
12.21.2011 , 06:06 AM | #6
I am sooooo happy to be Shadow ... Qyzen is waiting at ship ... never used after obtaining Theran.

ciaranthemoo
12.21.2011 , 06:12 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Elvandar View Post
BioWare shouldn't be forcing companions on us like that, particularly since those available to consulars suck.
firstly you dont HAVE to use them, join with other players instead,
secondly, Bioware have being lumping us with companions since KOTOR, did you really expect any different?

the NarShadarr healer and Qyzen work fine for me (lvl 24 inflitrator all the way)

course it takes practice, and having best gear possible helps too... remember Qyzen is there to die for you (dumb tank!) only a shadow tank or dps would use a healer (i'm guessing not much use to sage!!)

i'm sure i had something else to say but my college tudor just gave me an arrow to the knee
Player X "Shadows can't tank!" Response " Then i'll see you in HELL!"
Qoratan, Master of the Shadows
Luka Sene

Verius
12.21.2011 , 06:14 AM | #8
My experience from lvling to 50 in 3 days played is this : Qyzen works fine until you get Iresso , then i used him until i dinged 50 , specced healing & geared up Nadia.
I tear through missions with nadia tanking/dpsing and me healing her + throwing in the odd throw & project + dot.

Ardwan
12.21.2011 , 06:21 AM | #9
As a DPS/Heal Sage have had no problems with Qyzen. Can easily take on 2 or 3 elite mobs or a Champion, though the Champs can be close depending on the mob.
I imagine Tharan is fantastic for Shadows, and have used him myself a lot when doing Heroic 2+ with a tank player. Tharan handles the minor healing and helps with CC with Holiday while I focus on shields and DPS and step in with major healing when needed.

The only thing I don't particularly like about Qyzen is the lack of armour designed for him. Looks a bit odd having him in Republic Trooper armour. The stuff that only he can wear should be a bit more unique.

Soulchilde
12.21.2011 , 06:22 AM | #10
As a DPS Shadow I use Qyzen. Theran stays in the ship with Holiday and the droid.