Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Decrease in Companion affection?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Decrease in Companion affection?

Faeble
05.05.2013 , 11:42 AM | #1
So I just started playing again after taking a break for a few months and I've noticed an oddity. Before, when I said something in a dialog that a companion agreed with I would get +15/+45 affection and so on. But now, I'm only getting like +11/+29 and what not.

I've looked every where for an answer but I can't seem to find it. Was it a game wide reduction? Is there something wrong with my account? For some reason am I just not as likable as everyone else? Or are the companions just being spiteful? I don't know!

Can anyone tell me what is going on with the reduction?

branmakmuffin
05.05.2013 , 11:44 AM | #2
Companion affection awards are now scaled.

Faeble
05.05.2013 , 11:53 AM | #3
Thank you very much

SW_display_name
05.05.2013 , 02:33 PM | #4
Specifically, all companions now reward affection based on the level of the quest relative to you originally, they rewarded affection based strictly on the level you obtained the companion at.

jason_ralph
05.05.2013 , 02:49 PM | #5
Still haven't figured out why the game cannot add right. If through out a conversation, I'm awarded a increase of 45 for reach right choose, and that occurred 4 times, why am I not awarded the full 180, but rather 168? But yeah, affection changed. Oh, and gifts do not give as much as they once did either.
(over heard on a bounty hunter's star ship)
"You took down the Mandalorian Killer?".
"Yep. Blasted him and the star ship he flew in on".

Darth_Wicked
05.19.2013 , 10:45 AM | #6
Sorry for the bump but the way companion affection work is terrible for me.

Just to give an example, with a companion for the Jedi Knight, I should have won approximately 1000(!) affection points, in a single mission conversation. Instead, I gained less than 200(!!!) affection points. Not to mention, for some reason, like someone said already, every so often, I get 9 or 21 affection points, during conversations in act 3 and i have no idea what triggers it.

* Sigh *

Why Bioware went out of their way to fix something that wasn't broken to begin with is beyond me... Wish they had invested their time better so people could gain affection points with HK, outside Makeb and gifts.

Fantazm
05.19.2013 , 11:15 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Wicked View Post
Sorry for the bump but the way companion affection work is terrible for me.

Just to give an example, with a companion for the Jedi Knight, I should have won approximately 1000(!) affection points, in a single mission conversation. Instead, I gained less than 200(!!!) affection points. Not to mention, for some reason, like someone said already, every so often, I get 9 or 21 affection points, during conversations in act 3 and i have no idea what triggers it.

* Sigh *

Why Bioware went out of their way to fix something that wasn't broken to begin with is beyond me... Wish they had invested their time better so people could gain affection points with HK, outside Makeb and gifts.
They appear to like that.

MSchuyler
05.19.2013 , 12:02 PM | #8
You get scores like 9 or 19 because they have combined with a -1 score you probably didn't see during the same conversation. My Kaliyo is always giving me these -1 scores because she doesn't like me being polite, but it isn't a major ding for her. She just reminds me that she prefers me being more sarcastic.

One thing someone told me when I first started playing is, "Don't play the game to please your companion." Seems like good advice to me. Kaliyo is certifiable anyway, like a psycho girlfriend who will turn on you for no reason when you least expect it.

SentinelDranoel
05.19.2013 , 12:06 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by MSchuyler View Post
Kaliyo is certifiable anyway, like a psycho girlfriend who will turn on you for no reason when you least expect it.
Boy are you going to enjoy how the relationship with her plays out as you continue to play. You sir, are a good judge of character.
and the Force beat generic Swords and Magic any day. 8/26/14 That was my old signature but after RotHC, I went back to superheroes and swords and magic. Now waiting on Dragon Age and a SWTOR story expac for my Bioware fix

Darth_Wicked
05.19.2013 , 03:35 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by MSchuyler View Post
You get scores like 9 or 19 because they have combined with a -1 score you probably didn't see during the same conversation. My Kaliyo is always giving me these -1 scores because she doesn't like me being polite, but it isn't a major ding for her. She just reminds me that she prefers me being more sarcastic.

One thing someone told me when I first started playing is, "Don't play the game to please your companion." Seems like good advice to me. Kaliyo is certifiable anyway, like a psycho girlfriend who will turn on you for no reason when you least expect it.
You misunderstood me. Instead of getting 36 midway the conversation, having I mind said option and the level of the mission, I got 9 and it wasn't a class quest or anything but a world mission on Belsavis.

Again, I just wish they've kept it the way it was before, instead of messing the all thing up. Just another thing they came up with to inflate the time needed to get companions' affection to 10000.