Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

About Carnage and Alacrity. (PVE)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sentinel / Marauder
About Carnage and Alacrity. (PVE)

Tatami
05.04.2013 , 04:59 PM | #1
I don't need any pvp advice I have retired from PVP currently.

I'm wondering, how much alacrity should I have around for a pve setup on my Carnage Marauder? Right now all of my enhancements on my equipment, with the exception of my mainhand have power/alacrity enhancements in them. I am getting mixed messages on what's best for marauder these days. I personally feel like I need some more surge. I have power/surge enhancements I kept around for when I "upgraded" to power/alacrity. So, I can swap back if need be.

So, yeah what is the general consensus on Alacrity gear on a marauder in PVE? How much should I aim for, what should I sacrifice and what should I avoid sacrificing at all costs.
Begeren Colony Server.
Grim Determination
Tatia,Tatami, Tatiana, Tatsi, Tatsuko, Tatsuki

Akennea
05.04.2013 , 05:18 PM | #2
I wont give you any of the math just personal observations.

I've tried an Alacrity build with as much power as i could get and about 5% alacrity and felt like I was swinging a rubber hose at mobs for all the damage i did. I dumped all the alacrity and as much crit as I've been able to get rid of for straight power/str and now it seems i can look at mobs and they die. More Powar

Tatami
05.04.2013 , 05:21 PM | #3
Power isn't an issue as I have power/alacrity enhancements. What I am sacrificing for alacrity is Surge.
Begeren Colony Server.
Grim Determination

Akennea
05.04.2013 , 05:29 PM | #4
i've been stacking as much surge as i can and seem to be toped out about 74% with 0 alacrity and i'm really liking it.

Tatami
05.04.2013 , 05:51 PM | #5
Any other opinions on Alacrity?
Begeren Colony Server.
Grim Determination

Aetrus
05.04.2013 , 07:21 PM | #6
DR on Surge is even more steep now than before 2.0. If you have 69-70% surge already, grab whatever extra alacrity you can.

Kaos_KidSWTOR
05.04.2013 , 08:38 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatami View Post
Power isn't an issue as I have power/alacrity enhancements. What I am sacrificing for alacrity is Surge.
I would definately sacrifice Alacrity for Surge as ANY Warrior/Knight. Alacrity now does not affect Ravage AND Force Choke. so really Alacrity is only there for shorter GCD and faster attack animations. Carnage should stack like this

Power > Surge > Alacrity. you might be asking "Where's Crit? well Crit in 2.0 was blown to absolute ******* so Crit is not put in there.

NogueiraA
05.05.2013 , 12:03 AM | #8
I tried 7.68% alacrity...

0 alacrity my GCD = 1.5sec
7.68% alacrity my GCD = 1.43sec

So, alacrity is useless for us, just use the alacrity from berserk and use Surge/accuracy enhancements.
Don't waste your time and money trying alacrity enhancements.

MrFantastik
05.10.2013 , 05:09 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatami View Post
I don't need any pvp advice I have retired from PVP currently.

I'm wondering, how much alacrity should I have around for a pve setup on my Carnage Marauder? Right now all of my enhancements on my equipment, with the exception of my mainhand have power/alacrity enhancements in them. I am getting mixed messages on what's best for marauder these days. I personally feel like I need some more surge. I have power/surge enhancements I kept around for when I "upgraded" to power/alacrity. So, I can swap back if need be.

So, yeah what is the general consensus on Alacrity gear on a marauder in PVE? How much should I aim for, what should I sacrifice and what should I avoid sacrificing at all costs.
The short answer is - Alacrity is horrible for warriors. Doesn't matter which AC/spec you pick it should be avoided. If that is sufficient for you and you trust it, then you can stop reading. If not, the long answer follows...

The long answer - The usefulness of alacrity for any class comes down to one issue, and that issue is resource management. Alacrity speeds up attacks, which leads one to believe "more attacks per second = more damage per second". However, more attacks per second also means faster resource depletion. To balance this, BW added resource regen to the alacrity stat along with it's other changes. This is why it is useless to warriors. Energy/Force/Heat all regen over time, Rage does not. As warriors, we can only generate rage using specific abilities with set CDs. Alacrity does not lower these cooldowns. So what alacrity allows a warrior to do is spend rage faster but not generate it any faster. This is bad. Think of it this way; as a warrior, I can only generate "X" rage per second. I spend this rage to do dmg. If I spend the rage faster I must fill the spaces when I run out of it with low dmg or non rage fueled attacks. While technically this would be a slight increase to dps (I can fit a few regular attacks more after my rotation!) alacrity is not free. Its not worth the trade off of surge/ACC. Plus, any regular attacks (assault) in your rotation should be avoided at all costs anyway.

Astellon - The Shadowlands
"Your friendly neighborhood rage jugg"

EDIT: Just thought of a new question this post might raise for carnage maras. I will attempt to keep it short.
"But Astellon," you ask, "If alacrity is so bad for warriors does that mean my carnage spec berserk (+30% alacrity) sucks?!"
Not at all! It just serves a very specific purpose. It is for when gore is active. It allows you to fit an extra GCD into the gore effect window.

MrFantastik
05.10.2013 , 05:42 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by NogueiraA View Post
I tried 7.68% alacrity...

0 alacrity my GCD = 1.5sec
7.68% alacrity my GCD = 1.43sec

So, alacrity is useless for us, just use the alacrity from berserk and use Surge/accuracy enhancements.
Don't waste your time and money trying alacrity enhancements.
Hey, that's very interesting! The math doesn't work on that. Should be 1.38 sec GCD with 7.68% Alacrity.
1.5 x 0.0768 = 0.1152
1.5 - 0.1152 = 1.3848

Wonder if its working as intended. Can you confirm your numbers?

Astellon - The Shadowlands
"Your friendly neighborhood rage jugg"