Need the honest answer...

Provamc

I'm an original beta tester and SWTOR CE Founder coming back after I pre-ordered RoTHC but need an honest answer.

I've decided to roll a new Jedi Knight as I'm not really interested in continuing with my Level 50 Columi/Rakata Commando.

My question is - if I roll a Guardian as pure Vig DPS will I have issues getting into FPs and Ops once at level 55 considering the changes made in 2.0.

Hope someone can shed some real light on this for me.

Cheers

hey prov i've been running vig guardian since 2.0, clears hm fps, tfb and snv sm with ease so no issues there. you can checkout the guardian subsection for some good consolidated info on rotations and parses. however sentinel still gives better dps according to the charts so it depends on your gamestyle. Edited by Rogueleadnine

My question is - if I roll a Guardian as pure Vig DPS will I have issues getting into FPs and Ops once at level 55 considering the changes made in 2.0.

Do you mean, will you have problems getting into FP and Ops as DPS?

Or do you mean, is Vigilance viable as dps in FP's and Ops?

First question, it might take a while to find a group sometimes (via group finder anyway), there's more dps than tanks/healers so the queue is long.

As to the the second question, yes Vigilance works fine in 55 FPs and Ops. Dunno if they are at the same level as sentinels, but if not, almost.

As a new JK, in group finder, I had DPS checked only. Waited and waited to get a group.

I then checked TANK, and was in a group as soon as I hit OK.

On another character, I did the same thing, but instead of switching on Tank, I click on Healer. Took about 30 seconds to get a group.

As a DPS... wait, wait, and wait...

Is vigilance a viable DPS spec? Yes.

You will have no problems getting into a group or finding people who want to group with you, but expect a 15 minute wait in a group finder queue, this is true for all DPS, and has no bearing on the fact you are a Vigilance JK. Healers wait about a minute, Tanks are an instant pop.

Is vigilance a viable DPS spec? Yes.

Yep this was my question.

As far as the wait times, well, I'm a crappy tank and don't even begin to ask if I can heal so the wait times will be fine by me.

Thanks all.

Oh and btw, most ppl are saying Sents still do more dps even though the Guardian is much closer after 2.0, so what's the actual incentive to roll a Vig Guardian instead of a Sent?

re sentinal vs vigilance

Vigilance is doing more DPS in endgame content currently if you look at actual parses from actual players playing actual raids in end game.

Sentinals bring better utility with trancendence and Inspiration

Vigiliance are considerably more survivable - always where but now with saber reflect and armour affecting force and tec damage the gap has widened.

Depends on your party. All new bosses require fairly slow dps, the only thing you need to worry about is nailing tactics until the new content. Vigilance is hard but once you get there you won't be that far from marauders.

Getting a group will be problem... Why take a guardian if I got lots of buffing maras around?

Vigiliance are considerably more survivable - always where but now with saber reflect and armour affecting force and tec damage the gap has widened.

Just wanted to clear this out:

Armor has ALWAYS affected force and tech abilities. What it did not have any effect on was abilities which did elemental/internal damage.

What HAS changed, is that force and tech attacks can now be shielded, which was not possible before. They still bypass defense and whether they bypass the armor depends on the damage type: kinetic/energy is mitigated by armor, internal/elemental is not. In truth, only internal and elemental attacks bypass shield as well, regardless of attack type so they effectively bypass everything.

That said, as a Vigilance dps, you should not be using a shield anyway, so this specific change won't meant anything to you.