How are FP drops determined?

When I first started playing a few months ago, I thought FP drops were specific to the classes present in the FP — so, for example, a group of Inquisitor, Inquisitor, Warrior, Agent would never see Heavy Aim armor drop.

Lately, though, I'm seeing all sorts of weird stuff while leveling characters, such as:

• A group of 4 Consulars (Shadow + Sage x3) seeing a Heavy or Medium Strength armor drop every single boss
  • 2 Troopers, 1 Guardian, 1 Sage seeing, from each boss, Cunning gloves + Cunning hat + Cunning blaster pistol
  • 3 Troopers, 1 Sage and the group gets 1 Strength shield generator, 1 Strength lightsaber, and some Medium Strength boots

Is something weird going on with FP drops lately? Did they change the system? Or have I just mis-interpreted the rules for how the game determines loot in FPs?

While leveling, its random. When you start running HMs it pays attention to AC but not role.

For example while leveling you can and will see Aim pieces even if you have no Troopers in group.

When running HMs with a Guardian tank and 3 Sages you will see DPS Strength gear but you won't see Aim or Cunning gear, or as far as I'm aware, any Willpower tank gear. Similarly, if your only Aim AC is a DPS Vanguard you WILL still see Aim tank gear.

To my knowledge it has nothing to do with class composition, and never has. Just Random Number Generator.
I assumed that, at first, coming from other MMOs where you just get whatever the boss drops.

But the proportion of "appropriate" loot vs. "inappropriate" was so distorted in SWTOR as I leveled up, that I assumed it had to be weighted somehow in favor of your group composition, and this stayed pretty consistent for most of my time playing so far. If a boss died, I pretty much could guarantee what stats its loot might have.

This changed after patch 2.00, though. Around Makeb release is when I started seeing weird stuff all over the place like Heavy Strength in an all-Consular group. I guess I was either bizarrely fortunate with RNG before (seems unlikely), or something changed lately.

But, I've only been playing ~4 months so I don't have as strong a reference frame as others.

When running HMs with a Guardian tank and 3 Sages you will see DPS Strength gear but you won't see Aim or Cunning gear, or as far as I'm aware, any Willpower tank gear. Similarly, if your only Aim AC is a DPS Vanguard you WILL still see Aim tank gear.
See, what you describe here sounds exactly like what I saw in leveling FPs before 2.0!

Except it seemed more based on Class instead of AC, because I used to see Willpower Lightsabers (one-handed) when I leveled my Assassin. But I never saw Strength sabers unless a Warrior was in the group.

Now, I see Strength sabers... and boots... and chests... and Shield Generators... even with stuff like 4x Consular. :(

Edited by SW_display_name