Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.


Tharandil's Avatar


Tharandil
09.24.2017 , 07:28 AM | #9231
I play mainly on Progenitor, we have a smaller but quite enthusiastic guild. Personally I love to communicate with them through Discord while doing PVP and OPS or FP's.

We did DF on SM (couple of nights ago) with 3 pugs: 2DPS,1H. We wiped 4 times on the Gate Commander and another 3 times on the Rancor. Didn't wipe on Corrupter Zero but wiped another 5 times on Brontes, before I called it a night.
Problem was mainly the lack of DPS who took care of the ads (even when we explained the tactics) and a lower Healing output of the other pug who had defense mods in his gear ("I don't want to die as a healer so I need defense")..

Same thing happened the night before on HM TFB: 3 pugs with decent gear (236) but we kept wiping (6+) on Operator IX because of a lack of understanding the tactics of phase 2.

Personally I love to teach other players this game and enjoy playing together.
But for now I'm sticking with a maximum of 2 pugs per run. If i have to repair my armor time and time again, chances are I'm going to loose more money on this OP then I'm gaining with it.
Maybe a gear requirement could be a solution?

What do you guys think?

Please use my signature link and I'll be grateful!
Use my Referral Link for a Free Bundle and 7 Day Subscription
http://www.swtor.com/r/3yFZKg

flavmad's Avatar


flavmad
09.24.2017 , 07:38 AM | #9232
Quote: Originally Posted by Tharandil View Post
I play mainly on Progenitor, we have a smaller but quite enthusiastic guild. Personally I love to communicate with them through Discord while doing PVP and OPS or FP's.

We did DF on SM (couple of nights ago) with 3 pugs: 2DPS,1H. We wiped 4 times on the Gate Commander and another 3 times on the Rancor. Didn't wipe on Corrupter Zero but wiped another 5 times on Brontes, before I called it a night.
Problem was mainly the lack of DPS who took care of the ads (even when we explained the tactics) and a lower Healing output of the other pug who had defense mods in his gear ("I don't want to die as a healer so I need defense")..

Same thing happened the night before on HM TFB: 3 pugs with decent gear (236) but we kept wiping (6+) on Operator IX because of a lack of understanding the tactics of phase 2.

Personally I love to teach other players this game and enjoy playing together.
But for now I'm sticking with a maximum of 2 pugs per run. If i have to repair my armor time and time again, chances are I'm going to loose more money on this OP then I'm gaining with it.
Maybe a gear requirement could be a solution?

What do you guys think?
IMO, for the HM's you should have at least 236 fully aug. But for SM any gear will do.

I used to be part of a guild, and what we'd do was "hunting" for newbies in tacticals for the guild and then we'd teach them everything we knew about the game. Newbs usually listen and take to heart the advice you give them. Never had trouble doing the SM ops with them

Tharandil's Avatar


Tharandil
09.24.2017 , 08:21 AM | #9233
Quote: Originally Posted by flavmad View Post
IMO, for the HM's you should have at least 236 fully aug. But for SM any gear will do.

I used to be part of a guild, and what we'd do was "hunting" for newbies in tacticals for the guild and then we'd teach them everything we knew about the game. Newbs usually listen and take to heart the advice you give them. Never had trouble doing the SM ops with them
Agreed, unfortunately here in Europe there are people who don't speak English or who wouldn't respond to group chat at all...

Please use my signature link and I'll be grateful!
Use my Referral Link for a Free Bundle and 7 Day Subscription
http://www.swtor.com/r/3yFZKg

orangenee's Avatar


orangenee
09.24.2017 , 09:33 AM | #9234
PUGs usually pug for expediency. They want stuff and not knowledge.

Which is of course why guilds are important as they have the patience and they have willing students usually.

Oh and you've reminded me, must get some aug kits in.
SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/Kqsyhb #FreeMalgus #MarrReborn

aerockyul's Avatar


aerockyul
09.24.2017 , 01:39 PM | #9235
Quote: Originally Posted by Tharandil View Post
I play mainly on Progenitor, we have a smaller but quite enthusiastic guild. Personally I love to communicate with them through Discord while doing PVP and OPS or FP's.

We did DF on SM (couple of nights ago) with 3 pugs: 2DPS,1H. We wiped 4 times on the Gate Commander and another 3 times on the Rancor. Didn't wipe on Corrupter Zero but wiped another 5 times on Brontes, before I called it a night.
Problem was mainly the lack of DPS who took care of the ads (even when we explained the tactics) and a lower Healing output of the other pug who had defense mods in his gear ("I don't want to die as a healer so I need defense")..

Same thing happened the night before on HM TFB: 3 pugs with decent gear (236) but we kept wiping (6+) on Operator IX because of a lack of understanding the tactics of phase 2.

Personally I love to teach other players this game and enjoy playing together.
But for now I'm sticking with a maximum of 2 pugs per run. If i have to repair my armor time and time again, chances are I'm going to loose more money on this OP then I'm gaining with it.
Maybe a gear requirement could be a solution?

What do you guys think?
A gear requirement would do nothing to solve the guy with the wrong stats. Gear rating would still hit the "target" in that case.

I'm amazed in this iteration of the game since they removed most of the varied stats and replaced them with Mastery that this kind of weird gearing would still be happening. Bioware could help these misguided people by restricting tank gear from being put into healing gear and putting up a big red error message on the screen You are a Healer, not a Tank. You may not use Tank gear but I'm sure some people would throw a fit that they couldn't play the way they want


If the game had a much larger player base, sure, go ahead with gear requirements. But there is a thin population and even thinner group that would meet any requirements you place on easy content. More people should be able to do SM Operations and MM Flashpoints, not less. Some people will still find a way to derp into the ops and make fools of themselves, but gear requirements would unnecessarily bar players who are capable but happen to have not grinded high enough in CXP on that specific toon to match whatever artificial gear requirement you want to impose.
Keeya, Lill'ya, Odessis, Vaisis, Mura Saki, HitessaJaista, Altheeka, Ayasi, Dunheiress
Kahntara, Kaytee'roxx Eko'va, Namie Amuro, Misphire Portrait Gallery
Satele Shan ReferralsProud Ashara...ite? Asharan? Team Ashara!

PiiTarr's Avatar


PiiTarr
09.24.2017 , 01:50 PM | #9236
Quote: Originally Posted by Zerileth View Post
He should do MM if he wants to tank in an actual trinity. And all FPs are not the same. Had it been BH or DofM... sure I'd let him tank. He can still taunt and learn his class. Storymode will help that too. This is not why tanks are in short supply. I wasn't rude to him either. He wasn't denied anything. Enough drama, wake up.
Are you suggesting tanks should learn how to tank / practice tanking in MM FPs?

orangenee's Avatar


orangenee
09.24.2017 , 03:22 PM | #9237
Quote: Originally Posted by PiiTarr View Post
Are you suggesting tanks should learn how to tank / practice tanking in MM FPs?
Yeah, I think that might be a bit of a steep difficulty curve.
SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/Kqsyhb #FreeMalgus #MarrReborn

Kaldron_Fell's Avatar


Kaldron_Fell
09.25.2017 , 12:08 AM | #9238
Someone was looking for "people" to join their group for DP SM. I thought that was odd because no roles were specified but my guildie thought it would be nice to do that op so we asked and got invited. When the group was completed I took a look at the ops frame and saw that it wasn't ordered, so asked for assistant lead. Got it, asked who was tank (knew who was healers already) and the group lead said they were tank and some other guy with taunt could queue as tank and that all was good. Hmm.

So since it wasn't GF op of the day we got summoned by my guildie to Oricon and while we were waiting for someone who accidentally strayed into DF instead, the group lead asks whether we want to do SM or Vet. And I thought hey, cool, people on TRE just casually ask what difficulty the op should be! Nice! One of our healers said we couldn't do vet because they were level 68 only, so we tried SM instead.

A few meters in the tank said they'd need some explanations since they had never done that op before. That was when I knew it would go horribly wrong.

I told the tank it was quite adventerous of them to ask to do vet when they had never done this one before, and on we went. The lower level healer threw their first hissy fit when we fought the Bestia ("Doesn't anyone here know how to use dcds?"), but all went well. On the second boss, they were unhappy with the way the simplifications were placed though I can't imagine it makes much of a difference in SM. Our tank couldn't keep aggro to save their life, and the hissy healer died from inferno that they kept standing in. After that, they just left the group never to be seen again.

Another guy left and I decided then and there it wouldn't work, so I left too. My guildie stuck around and told me later they got as far as the third boss. I can only imagine what Raptus would've done to that tank

Now I don't mind if someone's doing something for the first time and needs some help and guidance, but why not just do the op with a proper tank to learn how this works? Why insist on doing it alone the very first time? I don't get it
Cult of the Wailing Wookiee

VegasTheLost's Avatar


VegasTheLost
09.25.2017 , 12:31 AM | #9239
Quote: Originally Posted by orangenee View Post
Yeah, I think that might be a bit of a steep difficulty curve.
That might be the best way to learn... While MM FPs are nowhere near to SM OPS in regards to tanking, MM FPs where one can really experience and assume the basics of tanking. Some punishment for mistakes, some basic mechanics but most importantly one have to be there. No fallback to offtank or DwT. And let's face it, leveling teaches you jack', Veteran FPs same, since no tank required, SM OPS way to go to ruin 7 other's game.
In need a crew to finish a group content? We're here to help you! Find more info in this thread.

orangenee's Avatar


orangenee
09.25.2017 , 12:56 AM | #9240
I never have got a full grasp on tanking.

The only things I know for sure s keep the boss facing away from everybody else and maintain the aggro. That's it. The various nuances I have no clue on.
SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/Kqsyhb #FreeMalgus #MarrReborn