Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

cxten
05.05.2013 , 03:16 PM | #71
Had a fun one recently. I'm healing HM Mandalorian Raiders and everyone is really well geared (all 4 of us over 30k health etc). We get to the last boss and one of the dps says to focus down the near turret first. Fair enough. The other dps uses aoe and we wipe. Okay, first dps and I make the "don't hit the boss" situation more explicit, though how you get that well geared without figuring that out is unclear.

Next, both dps and the tank get tunnel vision and only hit the near turret. Tank doesn't touch the far turret. I end up tanking the far turret in each corner. I wasn't quite ready for that at the first corner and die, but get a rez. At great length I heal myself through each other corner and keep everyone else up as well.

After the fight, I politely whisper to the tank that he should hit the other turret some too. He tells me he "taunted on cool down" and "knows how to taunt." Then he promptly ignores me. I can only imagine he was taunting the turret he was hitting on cool down and thought his single target taunt was an aoe taunt too. Didn't get to explain that part to him. Oh well!

Whojoo
05.06.2013 , 12:04 AM | #72
Yesterday I joined, as dps, collicoid (normal mode, if there's a HM, i don't know) in progress. The group had just arrived at the puzzle gates. The first droid decides to push the other dps and the healer of the edge so only the tank and I were fighting it.
The tank and I are both shadows and I was slightly higher than he was.
So we're hitting the droid and i notice that the tank is having huge trouble with keeping agro, so i use some normal attacks. And this kept on going the entire fight. I got curious and guess what, he used a dps stand.
Instead of kicking him, the other dps specced tank and we continued.

(more people got pushed from the edges, I can't help laughing when that happens xD)

Then we arrived at the arena with those 2 doglion things. We decided to nuke the left one first and then hit the right one and the new tank was about to hit the left one. The shadow 'tank' decided that he had a tank role and attacked the right one instead. We just watched him die
After that he raged and we kicked him anyway.

Had another dps queing as tank and he mentioned this in the beginning of the flashpoint. He said that queing as dps takes to long...... This must be one of the more annyoing things for a healer.

Darksaberexile
05.06.2013 , 12:30 AM | #73
Queued up for a 55 hm earlier with 2 guild members (1 was tanking, 1 healing, so we pugged in a dps through group finder). Now, the first several fights went fine, nothing unusual at all. Then, we got to the bonus boss, and the randomed in sorc (who had been dpsing up to this point) suddenly stopped doing any dps, and only spammed dark heal and the occassional dark infusion. At this point our healer tells him to knock it off and start attacking again, and the sorc ignores him. Around 20% of the boss's health, he used consumption a few times and then threw up force barrier for the duration.

I...still don't know what he was thinking.
Astinic level 55 sniper, Canderous Ordo server (now Jedi Covenant)

CyberTronX
05.06.2013 , 01:20 AM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by SWGEvictee View Post
I have dropped groups for the dps doing this. I find it highly insulting. I'm either the tank all the way through it I'm not. I refuse to run with DPS who only let me fulfill my role when they deem it necessary. I will not be the meat shield you only pull out for the boss fights.
I generally heal. The only, ONLY time I will pull before a tank is if A) I am at full force, B) the tank is at full health, and C) I have said "go" at least five or six times. Then, and only then will I pull.

TheDuge
05.06.2013 , 01:20 AM | #75
First story:
We plan on doing RR with some friends, we have 2 dps and a healer. We queue but don't get a tank, and then see a tank standing at the entrance and invite him, he joins and we start. I really don't know how to describe his tanking, but it was very bad. We wiped a lot of times. He doesn't know what CC is, we mark and CC someone he attacks that target right away. We even tried to "trick" him and marking a target and then CCing another, but that didn't work. He doesn't write. We somehow manage to get to the last boss, where i found out that he has the same native as i do and doesn't speak English. So I ask him if he knows tactics. His answer is something like this: "Of course I know, I even figured out how you could kill the Coruscant WB with 2 people!". Okay, whatever, we start the fight, turns out he doesn't know tactics, but we still manage to kill the boss. After battle he says that we were slowing him down and that he already soloed RR when at level 38.

Second story:
Joined a PUG SaV SM as healer, turns out it's mostly a guild run. We're at 4th boss, the city infiltration. They were on TS, I asked them if they knew what to do, they say yes, except one dps, who is a "noob". Okay, so I get assigned with that one dps for the green group. I asked if they explained everything to him and that we'll shoot green group from the ground to not aggro that patrol droid? They say yes sure. So we start the fight. What happens is this: that dps guy rushes into the city, ignores the patrol droids completely (aggros all of them on the way) and starts attacking the green group while I'm not even there. He dies before I can get to him and heal him, we wipe. Okay, maybe better luck next time? No. On the next try that dude does EXACTLY the same thing and we wipe again. I then asked if they really explained everything to him, and they say yes, but he is a "noob". We didn't give it another shot, cause they said it was sleep time.

And I got some experiences with people who didn't speak English and didn't know tactics. I was once assigned with a sent dps on the green group (SaV PUG again), who had no idea what to do. This is what happened: we get to the green group no problem. I bubble both of us, and wait. Nothing happens. I tell him to start attacking, nothing. Patrol droid comes, I CC him. (And BTW he wasn't afk, cause he was moving!) Still nothing. I even marked the target for him, but nothing. And what happens when he finally decides to attack them? The CC wears of the patrol...

Also doing a PUG for TfB SM is always fun at last boss. You ask people if they know what to do, and everyone says they do. So the tentacle phase goes okay, then we get sucked into Mario land, and as a healer I'm standing on the top platforms and see everyone. It's sometimes hilarious to see some dps, who are confused and have no idea what to do. They usually just run around, follow the tank or stay with me.

TheDuge
05.06.2013 , 03:46 AM | #76
Two other ones came to my mind.
PuG for Kaon HM, we get a shadow tank, who doesn't speak English well and is not a tank of course, but a dps. Also not very well geared for PvE, since he was mostly in PvP gear. With big troubles we somehow manage to get past everything and then we come to that place just before the end, where a shadow usually CCs a mob so the group can get past without pulling. Our "tank" didn't know how to CC, didn't know he could stealth so we tried to explain it to him. He managed to stealth but he made some other move instead of CCing and pulled. In the end we finished the FP, though it took way more than it should've.

The other one involves a TfB SM PuG, where we asked for people on the fleet. We also asked multiple times whether everyone knew tactics and everyone said they do. It all went fine till the third boss, where one dps started scavenging the dead droids when all the dps should've gone to the cores. We wiped of course. (He made other mistakes, like not reapplying the channel on deactivating the shield.) After explaining to him that scavenging is not really a good idea when everyone should dps the cores we managed to do it.
We asked then again if he knew tactics for next bosses and he said yes. At the 5th boss second phase he had no idea of course what to do, he followed the tank for a while, he stayed with the healers and things like that. We were overgeared so we actually managed to beat the fight, and at the end someone asked our dps: "First time?" He said yes...

zzoorrzz
05.06.2013 , 03:52 AM | #77
Quote: Originally Posted by TheDuge View Post
The other one involves a TfB SM PuG, where we asked for people on the fleet. We also asked multiple times whether everyone knew tactics and everyone said they do. It all went fine till the third boss, where one dps started scavenging the dead droids when all the dps should've gone to the cores. We wiped of course. (He made other mistakes, like not reapplying the channel on deactivating the shield.) After explaining to him that scavenging is not really a good idea when everyone should dps the cores we managed to do it.
We asked then again if he knew tactics for next bosses and he said yes. At the 5th boss second phase he had no idea of course what to do, he followed the tank for a while, he stayed with the healers and things like that. We were overgeared so we actually managed to beat the fight, and at the end someone asked our dps: "First time?" He said yes...
This story just reminded me of something - never ask if this is somebody's first time. Since I, for example, can do the fight more than once and still not remember the tactics. It takes usually several runs to actually memorize it. I mean without going to memorize some guide or something.

Ardarell_Solo
05.06.2013 , 06:32 AM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by xOxDarkyxOx View Post
Nope, no problems with tanking at all. I know what i'm doing and healer never has complained before. I even tank guild ops runs. Campaign gear + some black market btw.

There is no major issue with tanking as a dps spec if you can hold agro.

P.S. HM FP's are incredibly easy to tank.
Listing for a role you're not trained and geared for is forcing team mates (that have been waiting much longer, if you listed as tank although you shouldnt have) to compensate for your impatience. No can do.
El'ethon - Sentinel <Taking the Jawas to Alderaan> T3-M4

Skarkdahn
05.06.2013 , 06:49 AM | #79
A few instances so far.

1. A Sage who was queued for LI HM as a DPS despite being in Heal-Spec. We made it through alright, but it was still a bloody nuisance.
2. Vanguard Tank in story-mode Mando Raiders who was in, quite honestly, appalling gear even for that level. He had the level 10 Shield Generator from Esseles with no upgrades, plenty of level 20-24 blues and greens, and some strength in one of his implants. He later quit due to continuously dying - this was before the Boarding Party - forcing the rest of the group to either wait or continue by ourselves. I take no shame in mentioning that I did manage to help the others through with our healer's Qyzen tanking.
3. Juggernaut Tank in story-mode Athiss. Again, in quite bad gear for his level - he proudly wore the Black Talon Operative's coat, still with all its Cunning stats, and needed on a Cunning chest that dropped halfway through - thankfully, our group's healer received it instead. He also refused to Taunt, leading the Beast of Vodal Kressh to continuously chase me - a sniper at this time - around unrelentingly. He then later criticised our really quite put-upon healer - who I felt really sorry for - for not doing enough healing as she was taking the brunt of the Prophet's attacks, for the same reason as above. After wiping on that boss fight, he seemed prepared to go even though all members of our group weren't by the entrance when he was. Thankfully, we did end up winning, although not without a brief "Tanking 101" session beforehand.
4. Yet another Vanguard tank on Mando Raiders, this time 55 HM. This guy seemed not to know the meaning of "This fight is going badly, so there must be something wrong with how it's running or how it's being done"; we wiped twice on Varad and his turrets on the very first stage. Me, the healer and the other DPS all quit at this point, leaving him to quite literally reform the group using the Group Finder. When I checked the rota forty-five minutes later, he was still in there, so I can only assume that the same issues kept happening and he just refused to give in.
5. Upon queuing and entering a Mando Raiders 55 HM, I was immediately kicked from my group. The reason? The leader simply didn't like the guild that I was in - or at least that was the reason he gave. I didn't mind in the slightest - heck, it's not as if I can defend myself (I only take issue when somebody insults/ignores/kicks me for something that I could have, very easily, defended myself for) for his own personal feelings about a specific guild - but it was rather annoying nonetheless. Quite what he'd have done if I was queued with a fellow guild-mate, I don't know.

Not exactly the most "weird" people one could meet in a Group Finder in comparison, I suppose, but still people who I wouldn't willingly queue with again.
The MacLean Legacy: - Level 50
Republic: Calph (GS); Miorahna (Guardian); Vhiallia (Sage); Ziodus (Commando)
Empire: Pippera (Sniper); Cynare (Jugg.); Vahnora (Sorc.); Phirella (Merc.)
/crazytalk all the talk

Helig
05.06.2013 , 07:21 AM | #80
Well, as far as general weirdness goes, Guardians and Juggernauts in Aim gear are my personal favorites. "Bcuz it haz mor armor lol". Oh, and they tank in Shii-Cho. Fun times.

Thankfully, there are much fewer of them at higher levels than at lower levels.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie