Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

VigDiath
05.03.2013 , 04:57 PM | #51
I've had quite a few....

I'll start with one not in a FP but in a Heroic area on DK a few months ago. My first Sorc I created to heal and I found it easy to do most of the heroics with just me and Khem. So I'm doing the H2 fine by myself but someone decides to follow me while I'm killing and 'help' me. So I invite him since I figure he is on the same mission. He starts running off on his own and dying in the middle of me fighting mobs. Myself meanwhile, I'm getting the bonus done despite him dying and go to the console to spawn the Champion boss and he decides to come over and 'help'. (I whispered him a few times to see where he was with the bonus but he didn't respond). While he is "helping" he aggros another mob and brings him over to my area as I'm fighting. We wipe. I stay there and rez and he runs off again. I summon the boss again and this time beat him. I go to where he is fighting to see if he needs help and he's summoned the boss with his healer but is just dying. I tell him I can heal him but moments later he dies and quits the group lol. Fun stuff.

Of course, I've had random people including a "tank" with cunning gear on in Karragas Palace SM. He was F2P btw with horrible gear on. When he needed on a Cunning item, he said he needed to improve his tech abilities Oh rly?? A Jedi Knight with tech abilities.

Even had a Commando healer in a guild I was in once who happened to be in the pug I was in for LI. I kept saying, after the 4th or so wipe, drop an AOE heal on me as soon as the fight with the droid starts. He ignores me and I get no heals until right before I die lol. I whispered to the other guys in the group and apologized for all the issues and dropped group. Soon as I dropped group he logged off and I think he is specced as a DPS now.
Jedi Covenant (The Baltimore Legacy)
Laaron - 55 (Shadow Tank) Eulora - 55 (Sage Healer)
Madmartygan - 55 (Guardian DPS) Skylaadawn - 55 (Sab Smug)
Akon - 55 (Carnage Marauder) L'aron - 53 (Sorc Healer)

Lord_Erman
05.04.2013 , 03:42 AM | #52
1- I've seen many people, mostly at low level fps, wearing wrong gear (gunslinger in willpower gear, guardian with aim gear etc...).

2- I've seen a level 22 trooper. I nicely asked him why he didn't choose his AC yet, he replied he didn't know it existed.

3- Pre 2.0 in False Emperor HM, seen a gunslinger in level 36-38 gear. At first I thought he was one other fresh level 50 with very low HP, but after the first boss enraged and wiped us, I checked his gear and saw the reality. We advised him to buy blue gear from GTN which is much better than his current one, then kicked him from the group because there was no other solution.

4- Saw a melee Sage in Esseles HM (that is level 50). He was only using his 2 basic melee attacks and nothing else. We wiped at the first mini boss 2 times in a row, told him to stop acting like a melee dps, wiped again, kicked him.
Errtai - Jedi Sentinel
<Nexus X> - The Red Eclipse

xOxDarkyxOx
05.04.2013 , 05:04 AM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by Never_Hesitate View Post
I hate people like this.
It's very disrespectful to your group members.

I once had a group for athiss, where nobody (except for me) wrote a thing other than hi (the tank didn't even write that) at the start, it was athiss sm and the tank was ninjalooting everything, after 5 tries to get a reaction from them, I had to leave.
I'm DPS spec jugg but I queue as tank all the time in HM FP's if I want a quick pop
Nothing wrong with doing it ^^

Lung_Tien_Lien
05.04.2013 , 05:55 AM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by xOxDarkyxOx View Post
I'm DPS spec jugg but I queue as tank all the time in HM FP's if I want a quick pop
...well, can you actually tank with your DPS spec? If so, more power to you, but I have a feeling the rest of your group is struggling more than they would have to because you don't feel like waiting. Most likely, you only finish the FP, because the others are compensating for you. Don't you think there's a reason why tanking is its own skill tree?

xOxDarkyxOx
05.04.2013 , 06:08 AM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by Lung_Tien_Lien View Post
...well, can you actually tank with your DPS spec? If so, more power to you, but I have a feeling the rest of your group is struggling more than they would have to because you don't feel like waiting. Most likely, you only finish the FP, because the others are compensating for you. Don't you think there's a reason why tanking is its own skill tree?
Nope, no problems with tanking at all. I know what i'm doing and healer never has complained before. I even tank guild ops runs. Campaign gear + some black market btw.

There is no major issue with tanking as a dps spec if you can hold agro.

P.S. HM FP's are incredibly easy to tank.

Lung_Tien_Lien
05.04.2013 , 06:13 AM | #56
Nope, no problems with tanking at all. I know what i'm doing and healer never has complained before. I even tank guild ops runs. Campaign gear + some black market btw.

Well, if you can actually hold aggro, as I said, more power to you. It does seem like the person you quoted was talking about someone who couldn't tank properly with their DPS spec, though. Stands to reason that people might not even notice that you're not spec'd as a tank if no issues arise

ThatGnome
05.04.2013 , 07:02 AM | #57
The group that sticks in my mind was a couple of weeks ago on an Athiss run. I was on my Combat Medic Commando, we had a Guardian Tank, a Gunslinger, and a DPS Sage. The Tank didn't know what a Shield was for, what Soresu Form did, or how to use Guard. The Sage used Force Lift at the start of fights, and then attacked the target he'd lifted. When they started attacking him he'd stop doing damage and spend his time healing himself. The Gunslinger was extremely competent by contrast, but he didn't know any of the Boss fights and preferred to find out what to do by trying things and seeing what worked.

And on the subject of queueing as something you aren't, if you can do the job then I'm fine with it. The DPS Guardian who claims they can Tank, and then ignores evry mob except the one they're whacking, not so much. Though I also have to say, the DPS Merc and Sorceror who got into two of my Operative's groups as healers despite having no points at all in their healing tree or any intention of using healing except on themslelves - you are very lucky that I can field respec and was willing to, because both times the Tank was rightly annoyed.

VigDiath
05.04.2013 , 09:15 AM | #58

I don't believe this for one moment. Juggs/Guardians lose aggro ALL. The. Time. I imagine it would be worse not being specced into Tank spec to get the abilities that actually hold aggro or being in a form that generates threat. You would have to be in Soresu form to better generate threat and would need a shield. You also lose out on tankiness being in the wrong tree unless it is a hybrid spec.

I had a Guardian tank who caused us to wipe twice because he was in the wrong spec with the wrong stance on. I told him so (I was healing) and when he failed to listen I removed myself from the group. And I'm not saying this as someone who doesn't have a Guardian Tank. I have two. I switch back and forth all the time. But I've also queued with Guardians and threat management for them even in 2.0 is horrible.
Jedi Covenant (The Baltimore Legacy)
Laaron - 55 (Shadow Tank) Eulora - 55 (Sage Healer)
Madmartygan - 55 (Guardian DPS) Skylaadawn - 55 (Sab Smug)
Akon - 55 (Carnage Marauder) L'aron - 53 (Sorc Healer)

SW_display_name
05.04.2013 , 09:26 AM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by ThatGnome View Post
And on the subject of queueing as something you aren't, if you can do the job then I'm fine with it. The DPS Guardian who claims they can Tank, and then ignores evry mob except the one they're whacking, not so much.
This is my only issue as well.

I had a Directive 7 run last night with a Sentinel who was heavily over-geared for it and kept running 1-2 groups ahead and attacking without the tank.

But Sentinels are Sentinels and despite his gear he would have died a lot if I didn't catch up and keep him healed, since he dropped like a stone once his CDs expired. He probably kept doing it because he figured out I was gamely keeping up and making him immortal.

That would be fine (Group Finder has forced me to be adept at acrobatically running between 3 different people keeping heals up ), except he tunnel-visioned one mob at a time. So every time I healed his damn butt, all the rest of the pack he pulled turned and started eating me alive while he merrily kept tunneling his chosen droid.

So, my perspective when healing: I don't really care what you do as long as I can keep up with it in resources / GCDs, but if you're going to bend the rules, go Lone Ranger, or be reckless at least keep aggro off me while I spam-heal you into a substitute tank. Because healer-tanking while also keeping everyone else alive sucks.

Quote: Originally Posted by ThatGnome View Post
The Sage used Force Lift at the start of fights, and then attacked the target he'd lifted.
lol. That one always perplexes me. I encounter a lot of Assassin / Shadow tanks who open pulls by Whirlwind / Force Lifting one target and then running in and hitting it.

Do people not read their tooltips at all?

Khevar
05.04.2013 , 10:12 AM | #60
Do you:

1. Switch to Soresu.
2. Put a shield in your offhand.
3. Use taunts.

If not, you're NOT being a tank.