Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

ZentheSecond
08.21.2014 , 07:37 AM | #4461
Quote: Originally Posted by lazyax View Post
I have been told that for this encounter players need to spread out and stand at least 4m away from each other on opposite sides of the boss, that way the boss only throws the shackle mechanic on one player at a time. I haven't been able to test this theory out, but I have seen all players get hit with the shackles at the same time, and interestingly enough we were all standing on same side of the boss and too close together, so there may be some merit to what I have been told.

Can anyone shed some light on this mechanic? How does it work exactly?
Back when Ortol was bugged with his shackle mechanic I learned exactly how it works. Out of the four players present he picks one, and throws the shackles at them. Thing is though the shackle is a small AoE around the targetted person, so if you are too close to the main target you get caught too. During the bug, only the primary target could be freed, anyone caught by proximity to primary was stuck. Full on stuck, no amount of running through them helped only their breaker could free them.

So I always like to have melee try and stay spread on opposite sides of the boss for this reason. Bug is gone, but it cuts down on ppl getting caught.
-- Hanakoo - Powertech - DPS/Tank --
-- Natsumii - Assassin - Tank --
-- Kaijìn - Sniper - DPS --

BigBreakfast
08.21.2014 , 10:52 AM | #4462
Anoher guild story.

Joined a 16 HM DF posted in Allies. Was maybe ½ to ¾ of this guild, which I’ve seen around. I was worried immediately when they had a longer than normal discussion about Nefra. Usually in hm df pugs, it’s just calling out cleansing assignments and droid duty at Nefra. But they covered ev-er-y-thing. A lot of unnecessary discussion. So I could tell a majority of them were new to hm.

We pulled maybe 5 times before we called it. Tanks kept dying, and cleansers were always late to cleanse. But that’s not what bothered me. What bothered me is that as people left (without warning, yes, but also without problems, i.e. nothing like, “you guys are noobs”), the guild would trash talk them.

There were 3 pugs in the run who left. I’ll give them a name and brief description:
“FullDF” – Had 100% DF completion
“Leet guild” – part of guild that was NiM Brontes server first
“I know” – declined voice because he said he knew what he was doing.

So “I know” wasn’t in voice. After 2nd wipe, he left. The guild then proceeded to trash talk him. “Oh, Mr. I know what I’m doing left”, “oh mr I don’t need voice couldn’t handle it”

After wipe 3, “leet guild” made a comment about if he needed to teach the healers about cleansing/kolto probes or something. He ended up dying the next round. Then, the guild: “Oh, the one who complained about heals died. Oh, look at that, thought you knew what you were doing.”

After wipe 4, both “FullDF” and “leet guild” left. Right on cue, the guild: “oh look, those two left psh” “a few wipes then rage quit?” “how can you even raid if you’re that impatient”

I had been debating to leave the entire time. It’s not like they seemed super focused anyway. They had the attitude of, “we faceroll SM so HM will be easy lolz let’s just joke and be obnoxious the entire time!” After those last 2 left and got trash talked, I had to say something. I pointed out the achievements of those players. Got stupid responses like “this is for those new to HM” (uh nefra is easy) and the like.

Wipe 5 and they decided to switch to hm snv. I left.

I just don’t get that attitude. In my older guild a while back, we were having trouble one run with Council SM. A few players who had done HM were giving us pointers/corrections. And yet they got called know-it-alls by my then guildies. Oh, I see, you’re so good that you don’t need advice, that’s why we’re failing at this right? Ok.

TLDR: New to DF HM guild couldn’t get past Nefra, and trash talked anybody that left.

BobFredJohn
08.21.2014 , 02:21 PM | #4463
Quote: Originally Posted by BigBreakfast View Post
“a few wipes then rage quit?” “how can you even raid if you’re that impatient”
An extreme example from SM fp's

Loooooong time back. Foundry SM run with pt tank, sorc dps, sniper and me as merc healer.

Get to bonus boss, start the fight and sorc dps doesn't move out of spit. I heal through it first time, but he stands in stupid again. The Tank in this group is awesome and the sniper knows his stuff, so I decide mr "I can ignore mechaincs because the group has a healer" can be left to die. The very second he dies he dc's, I feel quite guilty as I assumed his not moving out of spit was a lag issue.

Get a Boarding party SM pop, with my nemesis (mentioned a long way back, a number of times) "tanking", the same sorc dps and a mara (who actually plays as a dps ) and my merc healer. "tank" pulls all 3 starting pulls at once (3 seperate pulls of 3 standards and 1 strong then 3 standards and 1 strong, then 3 standards, 1 strong and 2 elites) then combat stealths (hence he is referred to as nemesis, because hes so bad). I aggro dump and sorc dps takes it all. I can't heal through it, Sorc dies, and quits, though proceeds to flame me in whisper.

Foundry SM again. The first boss (though you can hardly call that a boss), the tank and other dps run round the upper pathway to get the bonus (the press 20 consoles one). Sorc dps ignores where us other 3 are going and goes down towards boss. Not a problem, he can wait by the boss while us 3 just pick up this bonus console thing. He doesn't wait, he pulls the boss by himself, dies, flames me in group chat then rage quits.

3 instances of rage quit after 1 death, he will never cope with ops.
Teach me not what to think, but how to think

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. People are also entitled to ridicule your opinion if it is BS.

Rambeezy
08.22.2014 , 09:11 AM | #4464
Had a tank refuse to do the bonus boss in HM Hammerstation out of fear of wiping. So I pulled it with the 2 dps around and then 3 man'd it. After doing so, the tank left and said we were the worst group ever. Lawl.

CrazyGreggy
08.22.2014 , 09:26 AM | #4465
Quote: Originally Posted by Rambeezy View Post
Had a tank refuse to do the bonus boss in HM Hammerstation out of fear of wiping. So I pulled it with the 2 dps around and then 3 man'd it. After doing so, the tank left and said we were the worst group ever. Lawl.
God only knows how any tank on SL would not want to do that with Rambeezy healing. Even one WZ with him in it tells you how good his healing is.

Xakthul
08.22.2014 , 11:55 AM | #4466
Quote: Originally Posted by Dras_Keto View Post
So, it took seven tries before I got the Command platform final zone, but, here we have the boss, alive with 781k, and when dead, it registers as exactly 351,900.

Why this is, I do not know.

http://tinypic.com/r/6r2as5/8
/slowclap

Thank you, Bioware...
Duelist Mixalot, Grand Champ Tellsa, Lord Saml, Apprentice Syynx, Captain Cirris, Skirmisher Janewei, Jedi Knight Jugger'not, Agent Ez'zio of <Wookies and Cream>, Harbinger
"Aim for the trolls! Kill the trolls!"- Gandalf

FrozenGoalie
08.22.2014 , 12:37 PM | #4467
I mean, unless youre trying to say that the max hp on the live Modo is different than on his corpse right after you kill it .. which sounds idiotically crazy enough to be plausible for Bioware.
So, it took seven tries before I got the Command platform final zone, but, here we have the boss, alive with 781k, and when dead, it registers as exactly 351,900.

Why this is, I do not know.

http://tinypic.com/r/6r2as5/8
Just wanted to point out that this happened.
The Starrunner Legacy
<A Slight Weapons Malfunction> <Shadow Council>
<No Such Thing As Luck>
The Ebon Hawk

Cox_The_Beast
08.23.2014 , 08:00 AM | #4468
Had an interesting TfB 8m run through GF yesterday afternoon. My Guild saw the call on fleet and a couple of friends decided to join. Scoundrel healer, extremely well geared - 168 minimum with set bonus - and Guardian DPS more and less at the same lvl. I was on my Guardian Tank in 162 with set bonus and 168+ without it.

So we join the group without issues as a package, all together in moments. I clarified I tanked the Op before, and at that time we still lacked another tank. We were melee heavy, DPS being 3 Guardians - one my friend - and a Sentinel. But no biggie, I just love seeing Force Sweeping around, so no worries.
Healers were my Scoundrel friend and a similarly geared Sage. No set bonus on him, but again, no problem.
Then we get another Guardian Tank. He has 200 HP more than me and is at a similar gear lvl, without set bonus though.

We get in right away and gather at the entrance of the first tunnel. Since noone clarified who was maintank and who would offtank, I asked. As always, I'm fine either way, so no problem on my part. The other Guardian Tank decided to maintank. Ok, then I will not taunt unless enemies go for others, I thought. Boy, was I right!
As soon as we attacked he showed a bad case of tunnelvision. I had to grab the mobs and Force Push them close to each other, then Force Sweep and Cyclone Slash on CD. Masstaunt also helped. To the point that I got asked to either Masstaunt right away or to avoid it, because the other DPS were stuck chasing their target.
I was guarding my Guardian friend, and the Sent ripped aggro off the enemy he was attacking. I taunted back though, so no problem.
At this point I noticed only one guard was around. Mine. And aswell only taunt debuffs were mine. But ok, I thought, perhaps he just forgot. I don't want to be annoying, I'll just shut up till we wipe.

The whole run through the mobs went like that till the first boss. RC happens, and I ask if the other tank prefers to be on boss or on Mate. Boss he says. Ok, then I'll take care of the Mate. Fight goes well, but I keep boss focused and notice the Sent and my Guardian friend are taking turns tanking. Without taunting off the other Tank, mind you. Switch guard as needed all the fight. Only result is their turns tanking get shorter.
Still, boss goes down and noone dies, so again I decide not to say anything. My Guildies noticed the issue, though, as I did. In fact, they said the other Tank was "keeping aggro like a Training Dummy".
I asked them to keep an eye on him for me, because I feared something may have been wrong with his rotation. I never had that much trouble with others geared at around my level. Now, Sents in 180+ with set bonus are another matter entirely...

We keep clearing thrash while proceeding to the first money boss, the leaping one. Again, my Guardian friend tanks when I'm not. Which luckily is not often. Other tank simply attacks. We lost two Guardians there, though, to my dismay. They were rezzed, but I take it as my fault if someone dies in Ops.

So, next boss. The Dread Guards. I ask again what the other tank prefers to do. No answer. Ok, I take Kel'sara, I say. And I kept Kel'sara on me the whole time. I reached a personal record of 27 debuff stacks, burning all my DCds, adrenal, medpac and so on. Still, SM. We can manage. At that point they had downed in order Heirad and Ciphas. I called for a tank swap to take some time to lose those stacks. Other Tank taunted off me, and then we went on. We lost another Guardian - again, not my friend, they were the only ones that didn't die even once apart from me and the other Tank. Except on the only wipe we had...
Still, we downed them.

Cleared thrash again, next money boss. No issues there, luckily, but I had my Masstaunt on constant CD to keep enemies on me. No deaths.

Operator IX. Op leader assigned groups. Me and the other Tank were blue. First time I see tanks paired, but I understand the logic to free both tanks for later. So I decide to give it a try.
We explained the basics and off we go. First phase blue, of course. I was supposed to channel, so I went to the console. "Black Parallel Required". Which means the other tank was not in the blue circle. I called him there to no avail, and the Sage finally pulled him. I was able to channel for a full 5 seconds. Nice. Of course, phase fails and we get the big mean droid. Which the other Tank keeps on himself. Noone attacks it, so it's not that hard.
Other phases proceed as planned, but I have to manage all adds with my Guardian DPS Guildie. Again, my Guildies keep telling me the other tank is not doing what he should, but I reply with a less talking more killing. My Scoundrel Healer Guildie helps me keep the adds off the channeller when they slip past me. And we pass the other phases till purple. There, one of the DPS Guardians is assigned with my Scoundrel friend. And my friend is supposed to channel. Dejavu. Other Guardians goes to attack adds instead. Again, Sage pulls and he gets the hint. Second big mean droid, and the other Tank taunts that too. I Masstaunt to save him, he was at around 20%, dropping fast. I assumed he burned all CDs there, thus the Masstaunt. Nope, he Masstaunted back, and went to the boss. With the two droids in tow. He dies, my Masstaunt is on CD, the droids go crazy and sweep the foor with us. We wiped.

Second attempt went better, this time I was assigned a Guardian DPS as blue phase companion. And the other tank was assigned to channel on orange phase. Blue phase passed, aswell as the others. We failed nothing. Boss went down easy. No deaths, no critical healing needed. I tanked it, of course. Other Tank just tunnelvisioned as usual.

Next money boss, again no deaths, but the tanking is still between me, my Guardian DPS friend and the Sentinel, that after that fight has my Guard on him permanently till the end of the Op. He never rips aggro again.

Now, Kephess was fun. It's likely the favourite boss of the Op for me. I of course tanked it all, except when the lightning debuff was on me. Naturally, I got the debuff all the time and ran through lightnings like a crazed man with suicidal instincts.
A few times I had to wait till the next lightning appeared, which is something that never happened to me. Wishing for an AoE from boss to appear, I mean. My Guardian DPS friend offtanked. Other Tank again attacked without a serious rotation. I saw buffs for Force Sweep and Blade Storm pile up to three, but never saw the two attacks being used. Same goes with Force Stasis. Never saw the boss have the graphical effect of it. Being stuck waiting for the lightning AoE to appear on the floor, I now noticed his rotation: Lightsaber Throw, Force Jump, Master Strike on CD, Strike. With the occasional DCd. Of course, Lightsaber throw and Force Jump were only an opener. This explained his trouble keeping agro, I guess.
Still, Kephess went down. We lost the Sage Healer at a point, and a Guardian DPS, but at least Kephy went down.

We watch the cutscene and I get a whisper from the Ops Leader asking me to explain the fight ot the other tank. He knows of phase one, but after that he never saw what happened clearly, and as such needs help explaining. Ok, I say. And I begin whispering hte other Tank as politely as I can. I ask him if he knows the fight, to avoid making him feel bad. I get a "It's been ages", at which point I inspect his achievements. DF 16m SM till the weekly. That's all for Ops. FPs, only Esseles, SM. And a few first bosses here and there. Oh well... That explains it, I guess. I just focus on being as clear as I can about mechanics. The Tanks positioning, the Spit, the Scream. The tantrum phase. The Anomalies. And the Tentacles.
I explain the fight taking Dulfy's guide as a model, since it's one of the most clear I found around. Going slow and with details. I tell him what he should be doing on every situation. And of course I clarify Tentacles are DPS targets. So he has one less thing to worry about. I stress the need for Tank swap on the Scream. And the necessity of moving off the platform after a Spit. I also suggest he use his Force Sweep and Blade Storm when he can, and that Sundering Strike gives him Focus. He thanks me for the suggestions and says he understands and that he's ready to go. Ok, I tell that to the Ops Leader, and off we go.

This time he uses a more proper rotation, inserting the occasional Sundering Strike, Force Sweep and Blade storm in the mix. He also used Force Stasis once!
He still had to taunt on CD to keep the tentacle on him, but it was far smoother than before.
Phase one passed with no issues, only a couple of times my Guardian DPS friend ripped aggro off him. But he was ready to taunt back after a few seconds, so no big deal. No deaths.
Phase two was nice too, but he kept sticking to me all the time till I told him to get to a platform on the other side.
He taunted off me at the first Scream, and apparently avoided the Spit. I taunted off him the next Scream and avoided the Spit too. Then he stopped taunting though, so I ate the third Scream and what was after, burning all my DCds. Only Sage bubble, Scoundrel HoT and my medpac saved me from death. Enure helped too. I called for a taunt off at least three times before I saw a taunt debuff on the boss. Scream debuff went away though, and the healers topped me with HoTs running, as such I taunted off him at the following Scream. The last one, luckily. The Terror entered his Tantrum shortly after my Scream debuff faded. And we downed the boss with only the Sent dying.

After that we all looted the final drop, said our farewells and so on. We left instance and group shortly after. My Guildies kept telling me they had no idea how that guy could have been Maintank with that kind of rotation, and I told them he was likely new but afraid to say so. They were more comprehensive after that.

Tbh I don't really feel that good, though.
I mean, yes, he was new. He likely levelled through KDY or something the like. He knew few things about his spec, but obviously not enough. But I didn't take the time to notice that myself and give him a few hints till the last boss, thus causing a wipe and deaths for everyone but my Guildies. I feel responsible. Should I have taken a moment earlier? Should I have noticed on the first few pulls that went not as well as usual?
"Saviour, conqueror, hero, villain. You were all these things, Revan... and yet you are nothing. In the end you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone."
Darth Malak to Revan on the Leviathan.

FlyinSpaghetti
08.23.2014 , 11:33 AM | #4469
Quote: Originally Posted by BigBreakfast View Post
Anoher guild story.

Joined a 16 HM DF posted in Allies. Was maybe ½ to ¾ of this guild, which I’ve seen around. I was worried immediately when they had a longer than normal discussion about Nefra. Usually in hm df pugs, it’s just calling out cleansing assignments and droid duty at Nefra. But they covered ev-er-y-thing. A lot of unnecessary discussion. So I could tell a majority of them were new to hm.

We pulled maybe 5 times before we called it. Tanks kept dying, and cleansers were always late to cleanse. But that’s not what bothered me. What bothered me is that as people left (without warning, yes, but also without problems, i.e. nothing like, “you guys are noobs”), the guild would trash talk them.

There were 3 pugs in the run who left. I’ll give them a name and brief description:
“FullDF” – Had 100% DF completion
“Leet guild” – part of guild that was NiM Brontes server first
“I know” – declined voice because he said he knew what he was doing.

So “I know” wasn’t in voice. After 2nd wipe, he left. The guild then proceeded to trash talk him. “Oh, Mr. I know what I’m doing left”, “oh mr I don’t need voice couldn’t handle it”

After wipe 3, “leet guild” made a comment about if he needed to teach the healers about cleansing/kolto probes or something. He ended up dying the next round. Then, the guild: “Oh, the one who complained about heals died. Oh, look at that, thought you knew what you were doing.”

After wipe 4, both “FullDF” and “leet guild” left. Right on cue, the guild: “oh look, those two left psh” “a few wipes then rage quit?” “how can you even raid if you’re that impatient”

I had been debating to leave the entire time. It’s not like they seemed super focused anyway. They had the attitude of, “we faceroll SM so HM will be easy lolz let’s just joke and be obnoxious the entire time!” After those last 2 left and got trash talked, I had to say something. I pointed out the achievements of those players. Got stupid responses like “this is for those new to HM” (uh nefra is easy) and the like.

Wipe 5 and they decided to switch to hm snv. I left.

I just don’t get that attitude. In my older guild a while back, we were having trouble one run with Council SM. A few players who had done HM were giving us pointers/corrections. And yet they got called know-it-alls by my then guildies. Oh, I see, you’re so good that you don’t need advice, that’s why we’re failing at this right? Ok.

TLDR: New to DF HM guild couldn’t get past Nefra, and trash talked anybody that left.
What I hate is when people trash talk those that are not on TS. There was one case I saw a few months back where some guy was in TS but the guild that was running it thought he wasn't, was pretty funny when they all went silent after he made the announcement he could actually hear them all
Quote: Originally Posted by BaronV View Post
Thats no moon... thats a CARTEL COIN!

Halinalle
08.23.2014 , 12:21 PM | #4470
My ignore list get longer every day on Red Eclipse.

3 "tank" Assassins who spam Overload.
One of them was very interesting one:
- Level 48
- Only procs I spotted were Exploitative Strikes and Energize
- No Force Pull
- No Wither
- No Harnessed Darkness
- Kept Force Lightning on CD
The Progenitor: Legacy 50, 31 characters
The Red Eclipse: Legacy 34, 11 characters