Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Gardimuer
08.15.2014 , 10:50 PM | #4381
Quote: Originally Posted by lazyax View Post
ok I have one: I am on my guardian tank. I que for HM lvl 55 HM. que pops, we get cz meltdown. Everyone says their "hellos" and I am thinking its a friendly group. Everything is fine, till we get to the Sand Dune Claw boss. Almost every time I do this boss I am the first to get to the generator nodes, idk how I do but I do. The dps are needlessly still pummling on the boss without moving to node. I taunt, the boss finally comes over to the node, with some difficulty because the dps are still putting out full dps on the boss during the drag to node. The healer is having a rough time because of this. we wipe. Second round. Same thing, except one of the dps says "taunt" before I even get to the node. I politely explain that if I taunt before I get to the node the beast will jump to me and immediately do the smash attack, which we dont want, and for the dps to use threat drops. The dps that said "taunt' says "WHAT? I have never heard of that...." I realize this isnt going to work out, so I exit the instance.
Sounds like your problem is that you need to learn how to hold threat on the boss. The boss will only leap to and stun you if you get out of his melee range while running to the generator.

DataBeaver
08.16.2014 , 02:37 AM | #4382
ok I have one: I am on my guardian tank. I que for HM lvl 55 HM. que pops, we get cz meltdown. Everyone says their "hellos" and I am thinking its a friendly group. Everything is fine, till we get to the Sand Dune Claw boss. Almost every time I do this boss I am the first to get to the generator nodes, idk how I do but I do. The dps are needlessly still pummling on the boss without moving to node. I taunt, the boss finally comes over to the node, with some difficulty because the dps are still putting out full dps on the boss during the drag to node. The healer is having a rough time because of this. we wipe. Second round. Same thing, except one of the dps says "taunt" before I even get to the node. I politely explain that if I taunt before I get to the node the beast will jump to me and immediately do the smash attack, which we dont want, and for the dps to use threat drops. The dps that said "taunt' says "WHAT? I have never heard of that...." I realize this isnt going to work out, so I exit the instance.
Sorry to say, but the weirdest one in that run was you.
1. As a tank, you should be able to hold aggro all the time. If the DPS is geared higher than you, they may grab aggro in the beginning, but a well-placed taunt will fix that. Also remember to use guard when grouped with high-geared DPS.
2. I'm not sure about guardian, but a shadow tank has ample time to use force speed, get stunned by the boss's leap attack, and still get to the generator several GCDs before the boss rampages. And as the above poster said, the boss will only leap if you get too far from him.

The DPS could perhaps have played that a bit better, but if they haven't played a tank and especially if they are ranged, chances are they haven't developed the reflexes to look up the green generator and move to it.

thewitchdoctor
08.16.2014 , 02:38 AM | #4383
Quote: Originally Posted by BobFredJohn View Post
There seems to be afew people on this thread making the same mistake, let me clarify.

You seem to assume the mara is just another player, it isn't. A mara is a deity having time off, hence why they have 2 lightsabers. The mechanics of the game and trinity group do not apply to maras, for they are above the standard of mere mortals.

Hope that clarifies the issue.
Oh, Bloody Hell, you have made me laugh with this.

I swear, this thread gave me second thoughts when I swapped main from a Deception Assassin to Carnage Marauder. I still to this day worry that the other three in a PUG say to themselves, 's**t, a MArauder.' But I take it as a challenge to play well and overcome that potential first opinion. Sadly ... I have caught myself when accepting the queue pop thinking, 's**t, a marauder!!' Usually after catching up on this thread!!

I actually have been doing my PUG HMFPs on my Kinght lately. And almost universally they have been good and understanding when I wrote, 'just back to Knight tanking, may be rusty.'
Good. Bad. I'm the twi'lek with the saber.

thewitchdoctor
08.16.2014 , 02:40 AM | #4384
Quote: Originally Posted by DataBeaver View Post
2. I'm not sure about guardian, but a shadow tank has ample time to use force speed, get stunned by the boss's leap attack, and still get to the generator several GCDs before the boss rampages. And as the above poster said, the boss will only leap if you get too far from him.
I haven't tried this myself on my Knight, but apparently we can intercede (not sure what the Jugg equivalent is called) to the generator. I would think it is a pain as you have to go target it, but, supposedly it is an option.
Good. Bad. I'm the twi'lek with the saber.

JouerTue
08.16.2014 , 02:48 AM | #4385
Quote: Originally Posted by thewitchdoctor View Post
I haven't tried this myself on my Knight, but apparently we can intercede (not sure what the Jugg equivalent is called) to the generator. I would think it is a pain as you have to go target it, but, supposedly it is an option.
guardian leap/intercede on healer/dps, works better if you kite your way towards the generator until the intercede target is standing still.
on shadow/assassin, if you force speed you will get out of melee range and eat the stun, but you can pop resilience/force shroud to avoid that while speeding.
on VG/PT just hold the line/override your way.

if you built enough threat, you should be able to complete all the above maneuvers without having to taunt at all.
The Red Eclipse
Republic: anstacav, giranda, hobogo, vitulal, wasiq, zadoro, onovidi
Empire: astutillo, comel'am, covamo, heksebo, qarrarr, dadietr
The Harbringer- Republic: hobogo; Empire: qarrarr

DataBeaver
08.16.2014 , 02:54 AM | #4386
Yeah, I've heard that too. I was mostly thinking that there might even be enough time to get there without any movement abilities if you spot the green one fast enough. It rarely takes me more than two seconds to find it after the "sandstorm simulation started" notification comes up. Of course, correct positioning while waiting for it is important too.

lazyax
08.16.2014 , 03:24 AM | #4387
Quote: Originally Posted by DataBeaver View Post
Sorry to say, but the weirdest one in that run was you.
1. As a tank, you should be able to hold aggro all the time. If the DPS is geared higher than you, they may grab aggro in the beginning, but a well-placed taunt will fix that. Also remember to use guard when grouped with high-geared DPS.

The DPS could perhaps have played that a bit better, but if they haven't played a tank and especially if they are ranged, chances are they haven't developed the reflexes to look up the green generator and move to it.
I understand everything you said. The thing is, the dps dont move when the sandstorm/green gen comes up, they just stay in one spot and keep dps'ing the boss, which means I have to get back into range and taunt. If I use the taunt and I am not close enough to the generator that would be a wasted taunt, an instant smash, and a ton of unnecessary healing for the healer. Of course I guard the highest dps geared player. My tank is in almost full 180s with about 44k hp, and because the dps group isnt moving, I don't want to use taunt, yet. Is there something I am missing here?

CrazyGreggy
08.16.2014 , 03:36 AM | #4388
I understand everything you said. The thing is, the dps dont move when the sandstorm/green gen comes up, they just stay in one spot and keep dps'ing the boss, which means I have to get back into range and taunt. If I use the taunt and I am not close enough to the generator that would be a wasted taunt, an instant smash, and a ton of unnecessary healing for the healer. Of course I guard the highest dps geared player. My tank is in almost full 180s with about 44k hp, and because the dps group isnt moving, I don't want to use taunt, yet. Is there something I am missing here?
You can still generate threat on the boss while moving. Force Sweep works even if you're facing away from the boss, Stasis for tanks is a fire n'forget threat move, AoE taunt doesn't share a c/d with single target taunt, bladestorm can be used if you turn around long enough to fire it off. You've got about 10-15s after engaging the boss to get a full threat rotation in before the first generator goes off. You should always be queueing up your next threat move and once you've tanked enough you'll *know* what your next move is as the timing will be ingrained.

BobFredJohn
08.16.2014 , 04:38 AM | #4389
I swear, this thread gave me second thoughts when I swapped main from a Deception Assassin to Carnage Marauder. I still to this day worry that the other three in a PUG say to themselves, 's**t, a MArauder.' But I take it as a challenge to play well and overcome that potential first opinion. Sadly ... I have caught myself when accepting the queue pop thinking, 's**t, a marauder!!' Usually after catching up on this thread!
I have the same issue on my sentinal. I work so much harder on my sent, simply because I think people are looking at me the same way I look at mara's/sents (oh damn, not again).

Although I do, after playing a sent, understand why most of them are go-go-go. The whole fact that doing nothing reduces their resource, whereas everyone else gains it is a nuisance, but even more so is the fury/centering. I hate seeing my unfinished (less than 30) stack of centering run out while I wait for the tank to pull. But that is no reason to pull before the tank. IMO if I end up starting the fight with no focus and no centering then that is what I will do, im not going to break group trinity just to maintain my centering.

Rant: Sad to say, people like you and me are the exception, not the norm. Most of the people playing these classes think their fury/centering and rage/focus is more important that group roles and fight mechanics, thereby giving us who want to play properly a bad name by association.
Teach me not what to think, but how to think

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. People are also entitled to ridicule your opinion if it is BS.

JouerTue
08.16.2014 , 05:43 AM | #4390
well until you don't have valor and his imp equivalent you see a zen/berserk once, twice in a week X-D
The Red Eclipse
Republic: anstacav, giranda, hobogo, vitulal, wasiq, zadoro, onovidi
Empire: astutillo, comel'am, covamo, heksebo, qarrarr, dadietr
The Harbringer- Republic: hobogo; Empire: qarrarr