Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.


BigBreakfast's Avatar


BigBreakfast
08.11.2014 , 12:28 PM | #4341
Quote: Originally Posted by Nakkyi View Post
...and an assassin tank. I notice the tank has only 28k hp. I normally try not to put much stock into that, so I ignore it for a while. First few pulls go rather well, but aggro is pretty much all over the place. I also notice the tank never used dark ward. Well, I don't' say anything, thinking maybe he's just a bit rusty.
Reminds me of a tough lab experience I had with a sin tank, and for a second I thought maybe it could've been the same person you mentioned just doing the other cz flashpoint. But as there are many sin tanks out there, chances were slim; and anyway, my guy spoke English.

But yeah, it was rough. I've never sin tanked before, but I've seen enough to know a few basics. Start from stealth, phasewalk if boss fight, and cast your swirlies, as I call 'em. I notice this guy doing none of those things. I mean, he wasn't starting the fight with overload at least, but when I have to flee for my life on trash pulls, something's wrong (I was healer, I think only 1 dps knew priority, and tank was focusing a weak, not the gold, and not using wither).

So I asked him if he knew the tanking rotation. He didn't. Uh, really? A HM flashpoint as a tank, and you don't even know the proper tanking rotation? Inconsiderate. Instead of getting angry though, I opened up Dulfy (<--fake pro *nudge wink*) and tried to explain briefly about the swirlies and using wither to get group aggro.

Then we get to the robot boss. I told him about running out when he sees the channel. I think maybe 4 channels, in our 5 attempts at the boss, did he run out in time to avoid. And the first few times he was just walking out of the electrified water.... without force speed. Oy.

Also, after the first 2 wipes, our one of our dps goes, "This looks different.. Where are the healing stations?" Sigh. So yeah, 5 attempts, and we called it.

Lord_of_Mu's Avatar


Lord_of_Mu
08.11.2014 , 07:59 PM | #4342
Double the sabers, double the leadership!

So I got into a hammer station pug, said my nice Hello and started working on trash. Usual story for me, kill order, CCs etc. Anyway the tank makes the extra pulls for the bonus and the healer starts commenting that it looks like we're doing the bonus.

I reply that doing the bonus will likely become the norm. Eluding to the possible decoration drops in the next patch. Healer responds that he/she hasn't done the bonus for a year.

We get to the pull just before the two elite droids. The strong pack with the three weak mobs. The tank pulls the strong in what looks like an LOS pull. I go straight for the weak mobs, as I do on every dps I have. Kill order, right?

The healer decides to pull me back because clearly I should be focusing on the strong and ignoring everything else, like the tank.

Elite pack, I mark and CC my mob, again the tank does what looks like an LOS pull but I'm not sure. Then I again go straight for the weak pack mobs. Kill order again. Apparently this ticks off the healer because we're supposed to be LOS pulling everything but the pull itself is a tight cluster and easy for any shadow tank to manage.

The healer starts going on about how that wasn't cool and I shouldn't be the "sentinel". I reply that I'm using CC, following the kill order and the tank didn't actually need to LOS the pull as everything was under control.

Clearly that was the wrong thing to say, because next the other dps and the healer have formed a committee and are telling me that what the tank says goes, though the tank has been strangely silent about everything and just pulls mobs.

I end up getting kicked from the group with the reason being "tard".

As much as I hate tanks that LOS every pull, I do wish people would say what they plan on doing.

lazyax's Avatar


lazyax
08.11.2014 , 08:40 PM | #4343
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_of_Mu View Post
/snip to:

As much as I hate tanks that LOS every pull, I do wish people would say what they plan on doing.
I totally agree with this comment. Lately have been in fp's where lack of communication within the group has been an issue, and have had very similar experiences as the poster above, ie, tank makes moves that might be an LOS pull or maybe not, but either way ends up doing one or the other and doesn't tell the rest of the group. I would say out of those events, maybe 25-30% of those result in a death of at least one or all players. If nothing is mentioned before a pull I will assume the standard, basic rules of dps, healing, and tanking.

venomlash's Avatar


venomlash
08.11.2014 , 09:34 PM | #4344
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_of_Mu View Post
As much as I hate tanks that LOS every pull, I do wish people would say what they plan on doing.
Oh tell me about it. A recurring experience I have when healing in HM 55 FPs is for the group to set up for an LoS pull (DPS and healer standing politely to the side of a doorway) and then for the tank to run in and grab all the mobs, not noticing that there's nobody else alongside him. It usually goes like this:

1. As soon as I see the tank not moving on the minimap, I run in to frantically toss heals on the tank so he doesn't die.
2. Inevitably the tank loses aggro on one or two adds who then run for me.
3. DPS peels the add(s) off my ankles and runs back towards where we set up in the first place.
4. Tank is now where the pack of mobs started out, taking a bunch of damage because he's got three or four doggies on him. DPS is now where we were trying to LoS the pack, taking a bunch of damage because he's got one or two doggies on him. I can only have line of sight on one of my two healing targets at a time.
5. ???
6. PANIC

The pull right before the first boss of Mandalorian Raiders and the pull right after the first boss of Hammer Station are particular repeat offenders.
Quote: Originally Posted by MichelleArcher View Post
Hey there, all! This thread has passed the dreaded 1,000 post limit, and is now in fire. Thanks for the fun, but we feel this discussion as run its course. We will not be restarting this thread.
Jarrant Gartin, Gunnery Commando, Spark of Hope, Begeren Colony

Gardimuer's Avatar


Gardimuer
08.11.2014 , 11:36 PM | #4345
Quote: Originally Posted by venomlash View Post
Oh tell me about it. A recurring experience I have when healing in HM 55 FPs is for the group to set up for an LoS pull (DPS and healer standing politely to the side of a doorway) and then for the tank to run in and grab all the mobs, not noticing that there's nobody else alongside him. It usually goes like this:

1. As soon as I see the tank not moving on the minimap, I run in to frantically toss heals on the tank so he doesn't die.
2. Inevitably the tank loses aggro on one or two adds who then run for me.
3. DPS peels the add(s) off my ankles and runs back towards where we set up in the first place.
4. Tank is now where the pack of mobs started out, taking a bunch of damage because he's got three or four doggies on him. DPS is now where we were trying to LoS the pack, taking a bunch of damage because he's got one or two doggies on him. I can only have line of sight on one of my two healing targets at a time.
5. ???
6. PANIC

The pull right before the first boss of Mandalorian Raiders and the pull right after the first boss of Hammer Station are particular repeat offenders.
Why would anyone LOS the dog pull right before the first boss in Mando Raiders? All of the dogs are melee; they'll jump right to the tank when he starts the pull by attacking the single humanoid target in the middle, so there's no positioning that needs to be done. LOS means "line of sight" and is only used to force ranged enemies to group together, it has absolutely no benefit when facing melee targets.

thewitchdoctor's Avatar


thewitchdoctor
08.12.2014 , 05:21 AM | #4346
Quote: Originally Posted by Gardimuer View Post
Why would anyone LOS the dog pull right before the first boss in Mando Raiders?
Shoot. I think that's been the 'norm' since it released as a HM. Lately I have been seeing it less, fortunately.
Good. Bad. I'm the twi'lek with the saber.

Lord_of_Mu's Avatar


Lord_of_Mu
08.12.2014 , 05:49 AM | #4347
Quote: Originally Posted by thewitchdoctor View Post
Shoot. I think that's been the 'norm' since it released as a HM. Lately I have been seeing it less, fortunately.
I can honestly say that I've never LOSed any of the pulls in Mando raiders, or even hammer station. But I also don't see any other tanks tab-targeting and using single target abilities with multi-target abilities when aoe tanking. Most of the time the pug tanks just aoe taunt and continue whacking on the first mob they opened up on.

Elusive_Thing's Avatar


Elusive_Thing
08.12.2014 , 05:58 AM | #4348
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_of_Mu View Post
I can honestly say that I've never LOSed any of the pulls in Mando raiders, or even hammer station. But I also don't see any other tanks tab-targeting and using single target abilities with multi-target abilities when aoe tanking. Most of the time the pug tanks just aoe taunt and continue whacking on the first mob they opened up on.
Only pull I've LoS'd there is the boarding party boss. It makes things a lot easier and usually substantially faster as well.

thewitchdoctor's Avatar


thewitchdoctor
08.12.2014 , 07:39 AM | #4349
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_of_Mu View Post
I can honestly say that I've never LOSed any of the pulls in Mando raiders, or even hammer station.
Having just participated in this convo ... my daily HMFP pop was for Mando.

We did not do the LOS pull. So, maybe it is not so popular on my server anymore.

Also, of surprising note (to this thread): it was a PUG and everyone performed their role spectacularly.

I, for one, blame the rakghouls. They have obviously infected us still.
Good. Bad. I'm the twi'lek with the saber.

Dras_Keto's Avatar


Dras_Keto
08.12.2014 , 10:27 AM | #4350
Quote: Originally Posted by Elusive_Thing View Post
Only pull I've LoS'd there is the boarding party boss. It makes things a lot easier and usually substantially faster as well.
Maybe if you have a couple of aoe specs. Like a smasher and an APt. Ive never bothered doing it myself. If you leap or stealth in and attack the sorc/sage, those three wont move, ever. Even then they are still very grouped up, and stay that way as long as no one gets push happy (noob assassins...).

Most of the time that Ive done Mando as a dps and we have a tank who insists on LoSing, it just results in an initial aggro snafu after which you have the tank with the three tankable npcs in a little bunch and the warrior jumping around pushing people. Which is exactly the same situation you would have by just leaping/stealthing in, it just takes longer and gives the healer something extra to do for a few seconds.