Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

ValeGreiger
07.17.2014 , 04:32 PM | #3991
Quote: Originally Posted by BobFredJohn View Post
Am I the only one who takes enjoyment in a game by doing stuff myself? I have never read a single guide (that could be taken as incorrect if you consider reading the codex and pop-up screens as "guides") but instead prefer to learn the game myself. Doesn't that just sound more fun?
-snip-
There was a time when you didn't have the internet to go to find out how to do things. My happiest gaming memories was going to the schoolyard next day and share with my friends how far a level we went up to, crazy stages we had to clear, secret routes that some of us had found or little achievements we had discovered. The fun was in the mystery of gaming and being completely in the dark.

Nowadays, you get labeled with the 'idiot' sticker if you didn't look up a guide on how to do X instance. And naturally, everyone expects you to understand how the instance rolls just by reading, even though everyone has a different learning process. I'm so glad I never watched a TFB video and got a good guild to throw me some learning ropes. Not only that was fun but the way that parts of TFB are graphically gorgeous (as I like to call it, the Tron World), I feel like I would've ruined myself the enjoyable experience of seeing something brand new if I had watched it on the internet.

People want to advise others to watch/read guides? That's fine but I wish those people also realize not everyone learns the same way and some people actually like the element of discovery and adventure in their gameplay.

Lotharofxev
07.17.2014 , 04:59 PM | #3992
Quote:
That's fine but I wish those people also realize not everyone learns the same way and some people actually like the element of discovery and adventure in their gameplay.
That's all well and good, and really hearkens back to the days of EQ. But if you're a PuG, going into a HM, I expect you to have done more than simply "leveled up" and obtained some gear.

Awsomnator
07.17.2014 , 05:23 PM | #3993
About two weeks ago I grouped up with a guildie and popped hammer station. Before this I only ran FPs with all guildies or friends with this toon. This is on my level 15 PT tank and the guildies was dps. Since I have lag I come in a bit late and the others are already in combat. I quickly explain in chat that this is one of my first times tanking with my powertech and its my first time on this FP and go I join the others. Immediately after this the other dps replies in chat to leave. I ignore it and continue trying to tank the small mobs at the beginning of the FP. I also have a lvl 45 shadow tank, so I like to think I'm ok at tanking. I'm not the best by a long shot and always try my best to listen to the advice groups give me. We come to the part where you can use scavenging to activate the drill. I had no idea that I had to use scavenging on the machine to start the drill as it was my first time running it and I think my guildies as well, so I was really confused when the other dps and healer started saying hurry up and the dps swearing at me in chat. I finally figured out that I had to use my scavenging ability and we went through to the cave with the droid elite boss. I pulled and I thought I was doing ok but then the healer wasn't healing me so I wiped. At the start area my guildie who also wiped said that these guys were jerks and we should leave, so we do. The last thing on chat before I left was the dps saying we don't need you *****, we can two man it. I really hoped they would fail big time. Worst of all I forgot to put them on my ignore list.

Khevar
07.17.2014 , 07:42 PM | #3994
Sadly it seems I must be using some Stephen Hawking level of reasoning here, as the 2 dps and tank in the group all just stand in the middle, not moving their sticky aoe's to the side and completely ignoring the flames covering them.
Ha! This made me laugh because I experienced the exact same thing in HM LI recently.

But it wasn't just the grates with fire coming out of them. The dps would stand inside the giant spherical energy coils that were sparking and draining their health alarmingly while I tried to keep them alive. O.o

I believe the problem with mechanic-heavy instances like Lost Island and Explosive Conflict isn't that people didn't read guides. It's that their attention is completely dispersed by all the random activity going on and they cannot focus.

I'm sure that the dps standing in the energy coils were so distracted by a) trying to interrupt the boss, b) getting hit by the adds, c) flames coming out of the floor and d) remembering their rotation, that they probably didn't even look at their health bar and notice it was dropping alarmingly.

This sort of stuff smooths out with time.

Give a complex camera to a greenhorn and have them take pictures, they're so fixated on the mechanism of the camera and how it works that they forget to pay attention to the environment. While a more experienced photographer is so comfortable with the camera that they don't have to think about it -- they're extroverted instead, and take better shots.

jrwellworth
07.17.2014 , 08:00 PM | #3995
Congratulations ladies and gentlemen, we have hit 400 pages of herp a derp, mischief and tomfoolery. This thread had made me laugh everyday since it opened and produced a lot of gems. The butter guy is one I will continue to retell. So lets keep em coming.
Sandari-65 (kinetic combat) +more <Aeternium Ascension> Dread Slayer

SHADOWLANDS

Dras_Keto
07.17.2014 , 08:47 PM | #3996

So, I queue up for hmfps, still need two for the weekly, etc.

Its Athiss, as soon as I zone in, the healer has already bailed. I got slotted for dps, but I was already in pyro for pvp anyway, so I just swap out for my pve dps set.

We have a sorc, and a juggernaut tank. I call up Mako, who is wearing mostly 180s except for weapons, and we proceed. Health drops a little low, but its no big deal, things die quite fast (my dps set is pretty close to BiS apart from set bonus armourings).

The bomb satchel pull? It goes fine The droid pull? It goes fine. The first boss? It goes fine. All the trash up to the next one, the Beast of Vodal-Whatever? It goes FINE. Everyones happy.

We get up to the dog and, after a bit of "Huh, so now what?" discussion, I make the comment that we had probably better do that "tank the boss elsewhere thing" but that I have absolutely no idea how or where you are supposed to do that because frankly, theres never been a need to do it. The fight is incredibly easy as it is. So, someone else needs to know how to do it.

As far as I knew then, everything was still fine. But, apparently, the sorc was MIGHTILY offended that I had never felt the need to do this cave trick, cause you know, if youve got a full group, why bother? Somehow this was interpreted as a slight on them. They dont say anything, though.

So we get to the cave, and the sorc offers to try respeccing to heals, but that they will have to look up a guide on google on how to do it. (They had mentioned previously that they spent most of their time pubside on a healer and had made the sorc to get away from that, but they never mentioned what class.)

Since, the first character I ever really geared was a sorc healer, I gave them a brief rundown of what you do, rejuv, innervate, and etc.

Up until this point, as far as I knew, everything was still fine. But, apparently, the sorc was MIGHTILY offended that I assumed they did not know how to heal and that I did not assume that their healer pubside was a sage. Please note that not 5 seconds before this they were saying they needed to look up a guide on how to heal on a sorc.

The tank now speaks up, questioning if we have enough dps for the fight if the sorc is healing. Im slightly confused as all of the trash before hand had literally melted. I point out that I am kind of obscenely geared, in my dps set I have more hp than the tank does. I dont do this in a mean way. Or an argumentative way. Im just pointing out a fact. Its a "dude, dont worry, we got this." I dont do any sort of "Lol, noob, my gear is soo much better than yours."

Its at this point that the sorc freaks the eff out. Completely. Apparently, enough is enough, and Ive gone too far this time.

Im confused. Im very confused. I ask what the hell their problem is and I get this torrent of rage about how Im so arrogant and not everyone has as much gear as me and my stuff pubside is way better than yours.

I made literally one comment. And it was a "Well be fine" kind of comment. Literally, "Im overgeared. Ive got more hp than you. Dps will be fine. We can do this."

Now, at this point Im still confused as to how they could possibly misinterpret everything and Im starting to get rather offended. I tell them they are completely misinterpreting everything and that they are behaving in a completely ridiculous manner.

Now I get raged at for being offended. And for a whole lot of other things that didnt even come close to happening. So, I give them a thorough description of all of their shortcomings, inform them of just exactly what it is they can do with themselves. By this time, one of them starts a vote kick "Reason: Child."

The irony almost makes up for their utter stupidity. Almost. Sort of. Well, not really.

BigBreakfast
07.17.2014 , 09:07 PM | #3997
well I cant solo collect all 3 things before they get back from reading a guide, they are just too quick at reading it (probably the reason they come back thinking theres 1 solution).

My view is, the people who use guides for everything are usually those who are too lazy to use more than 5 brain cells at once. Im sure, considering these people know how to read and write, and use a computer, they are all capable of working these things out. They just assume its quicker to open internet, load Dulfy, read a guide, re-open the game, re-write the guide to the group. Is that really faster than just educated trial and error or, preferably, simple problem solving/Logic?
1. I can click all the consoles in starship first every time, usually before anyone else gets there.

2. If we're talking about a single or solo questing, or even playing with your friends, then yeah, I say figure it for yourself instead of always looking at a guide. BUT, when you have other people in your group who have possibly done it before, you don't want to hold them back just so you can figure it out. It's not a bad thing to want to read up on the fight so that you can actually contribute instead of running around in confusion. I've never heard of anyone actually getting angry at someone for reading a guide first. AND, i can't see a situation in which reading a guide would HINDER someone's performance. If you can figure it out on your own, great! But don't equate someone who reads guides to them being an idiot.

3. Your LI example doesn't have anything to do with reading guides or not.. that's just people standing in stupid and is a common problem that exists whether or not someone reads guides. Just because they read it doesn't mean they lose brain cells and forget how to do simple things.

ValeGreiger
07.17.2014 , 09:41 PM | #3998
Quote: Originally Posted by Dras_Keto View Post

So, I queue up for hmfps, still need two for the weekly, etc.

Its Athiss, as soon as I zone in, the healer has already bailed. I got slotted for dps, but I was already in pyro for pvp anyway, so I just swap out for my pve dps set.

We have a sorc, and a juggernaut tank. I call up Mako, who is wearing mostly 180s except for weapons, and we proceed. Health drops a little low, but its no big deal, things die quite fast (my dps set is pretty close to BiS apart from set bonus armourings).

The bomb satchel pull? It goes fine The droid pull? It goes fine. The first boss? It goes fine. All the trash up to the next one, the Beast of Vodal-Whatever? It goes FINE. Everyones happy.

We get up to the dog and, after a bit of "Huh, so now what?" discussion, I make the comment that we had probably better do that "tank the boss elsewhere thing" but that I have absolutely no idea how or where you are supposed to do that because frankly, theres never been a need to do it. The fight is incredibly easy as it is. So, someone else needs to know how to do it.

As far as I knew then, everything was still fine. But, apparently, the sorc was MIGHTILY offended that I had never felt the need to do this cave trick, cause you know, if youve got a full group, why bother? Somehow this was interpreted as a slight on them. They dont say anything, though.

So we get to the cave, and the sorc offers to try respeccing to heals, but that they will have to look up a guide on google on how to do it. (They had mentioned previously that they spent most of their time pubside on a healer and had made the sorc to get away from that, but they never mentioned what class.)

Since, the first character I ever really geared was a sorc healer, I gave them a brief rundown of what you do, rejuv, innervate, and etc.

Up until this point, as far as I knew, everything was still fine. But, apparently, the sorc was MIGHTILY offended that I assumed they did not know how to heal and that I did not assume that their healer pubside was a sage. Please note that not 5 seconds before this they were saying they needed to look up a guide on how to heal on a sorc.

The tank now speaks up, questioning if we have enough dps for the fight if the sorc is healing. Im slightly confused as all of the trash before hand had literally melted. I point out that I am kind of obscenely geared, in my dps set I have more hp than the tank does. I dont do this in a mean way. Or an argumentative way. Im just pointing out a fact. Its a "dude, dont worry, we got this." I dont do any sort of "Lol, noob, my gear is soo much better than yours."

Its at this point that the sorc freaks the eff out. Completely. Apparently, enough is enough, and Ive gone too far this time.

Im confused. Im very confused. I ask what the hell their problem is and I get this torrent of rage about how Im so arrogant and not everyone has as much gear as me and my stuff pubside is way better than yours.

I made literally one comment. And it was a "Well be fine" kind of comment. Literally, "Im overgeared. Ive got more hp than you. Dps will be fine. We can do this."

Now, at this point Im still confused as to how they could possibly misinterpret everything and Im starting to get rather offended. I tell them they are completely misinterpreting everything and that they are behaving in a completely ridiculous manner.

Now I get raged at for being offended. And for a whole lot of other things that didnt even come close to happening. So, I give them a thorough description of all of their shortcomings, inform them of just exactly what it is they can do with themselves. By this time, one of them starts a vote kick "Reason: Child."

The irony almost makes up for their utter stupidity. Almost. Sort of. Well, not really.
Classic case of internet misuse to pickup context/nuances. That's why I never take anything at face-value because there's no way to tell all the time if someone's serious or not. Personally, if I was that sorc and you told me it was a misunderstanding, I would've accepted it because I'm not the insecure type of person. Hell, I don't even think I would've initiated any sort of argument if you told me it was gonna be all right cause I like my runs to be cakeslice.

Those guys, clearly do NOT like cake.

Halinalle
07.17.2014 , 09:41 PM | #3999
Quote: Originally Posted by ZentheSecond View Post
The 1000 rats thing, well personally?
Boredom, most of the time. And some of the time it's so I can wither or discharge a group that is just outside of what those moves can hit. Plus we can get away with it more, our aggro gen and snap threat is higher then that of other tanks. So they can't go dancing around the mobs while still holding aggro.

Another personal reason; new keyboard. So I am still getting use to where the keys are somewhat. More then once I have tried to strafe right only to have "cannot do this out of stealth" or some such pop up as instead of E it turns out I am hitting R (which is my Spike keybind).
What I mean is this:
10 left, right, left, right (this continues for few seconds at very high speed)
20 backpedal
30 run or jump forward
40 goto 10

All this while spamming Saber Strike and occasional FiB/Death Field.
The Progenitor: Legacy 50, 31 characters
The Red Eclipse: Legacy 34, 11 characters

Dras_Keto
07.17.2014 , 11:10 PM | #4000
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
I believe the problem with mechanic-heavy instances like Lost Island and Explosive Conflict isn't that people didn't read guides. It's that their attention is completely dispersed by all the random activity going on and they cannot focus.
Id go farther and say they dont want to focus. A lot of people in ToR are here because STAR WARS! and are just looking for some mindless entertainment (IE, Solitaire players, not Freecell). Which then causes a problem when the game requires them to fire a few synapses.

I cannot count the number of times Ive seen someone fail some sort of positional mechanic (stood in unnecessary fire, maybe died) fail it over, and over, and over again.

Heh, warzones. The team chases the attackers far from the node on Voidstar, and gets snookered by some stealthy who just walked right by. 20 seconds later, "Boom." Then they go and do the exact same thing. They keep making the same mistake.

I once heard a definition of insanity along the lines of "keep doing the same thing and expecting different results.

It is probably the most frustrating thing to deal with in this game.