Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Dras_Keto
07.03.2014 , 04:42 PM | #3651
Quote: Originally Posted by Gardimuer View Post
I agree with this, but with the addendum that Overload can be very useful for pushing ranged mobs closer to each other if done correctly, thus making it easier to hold agro with the aoe rotation. So, all in all, the tank sin is the ONLY one in the group who should be using overload on mobs, and only at the beginning of a mob pull to position the enemies better.
While doing that is definitely not a bad idea, I wouldnt say its the best idea either. On the rare occasions that ranged add is actually a threat, youll either be pulling the melee adds to it, or force pulling it in. The only times that wont work is when you couldnt knock it anyway.

If the add is just some standard or weak enemy, or (in an ops) even a silver the DPS in your group are supposed to be handling it. Its a rather unfortunate misconception among DPS that tanks are supposed to hold all adds at all times. Often, they can simply because its convenient. But when you have a bunch of stuff spread out, the DPS are supposed to just delete the paltry stuff while you focus on controlling and tanking the stronger enemies.

Most DPS think its their job to immediately blow everything on the strongest enemy in every pack while all the other stuff that they were supposed to be killing starts gunning for the healer. Then they blame the tank for their own mistake.

Halinalle
07.03.2014 , 09:36 PM | #3652
Quote: Originally Posted by Dras_Keto View Post
While doing that is definitely not a bad idea, I wouldnt say its the best idea either. On the rare occasions that ranged add is actually a threat, youll either be pulling the melee adds to it, or force pulling it in. The only times that wont work is when you couldnt knock it anyway.
You can't just pull multiple standard enemies to you because Force Pull/Harpoon/Grapple is on quite long CD. By the time you can use it again, all enemies are already dead.
EV 8SM 5/5, KP 8SM 5/5, EC 8SM 4/4, TfB 16SM 0/5, SnV 8SM 7/7
DF 8SM 5/5, DP 16SM 0/5, Rav 16SM 0/5, ToS 16SM 0/5

Gardimuer
07.03.2014 , 10:17 PM | #3653
Quote: Originally Posted by Dras_Keto View Post

If the add is just some standard or weak enemy, or (in an ops) even a silver the DPS in your group are supposed to be handling it. Its a rather unfortunate misconception among DPS that tanks are supposed to hold all adds at all times. Often, they can simply because its convenient. But when you have a bunch of stuff spread out, the DPS are supposed to just delete the paltry stuff while you focus on controlling and tanking the stronger enemies.

Most DPS think its their job to immediately blow everything on the strongest enemy in every pack while all the other stuff that they were supposed to be killing starts gunning for the healer. Then they blame the tank for their own mistake.
Yes, most of the time Force Pull is enough to position enemies. But sometimes there are more than two ranged enemies spread out in a mob. For instance, there are some placements of ranged droids in the Foundry or Hammer Station which a Sin tank could Overload and Force Pull to bring in together.

You are right that in ideal circumstances, with DPS who know their role, that much forethought in a mob pull is unnecessary. But the long standing existence of this thread is proof enough of how rare that ideal circumstance is. As a tank, I prepare for the worst case scenario because I can't rely on the intelligence of my group members.

ValeGreiger
07.03.2014 , 11:33 PM | #3654
Quote: Originally Posted by sanctified View Post
Did a Czerka meltdown the other day on my Powertech tank. I've done this one a million times, it feels like. My tanking gear is a full set of 180 ultimate com armor with four pieces of Arkanian armor mods on my legs, boots, chest, and gloves, so that I can use that sweet, sweet 2% damage reduction set bonus. It shaves some health off my toon, but the mitigation is so good that I don't even care.

The healer cared.

He asks, "Hey, why is your health so low?" I have 38k health, so I'm not sure what he means.

"You're in full ultimate. You should have 44,000 health," he says. I'm not sure that's true at all, so I replied with, "Meh."

"Are you new to tanking? You need more health. I don't like healing tanks who don't know how gear up."

"I am geared up. Not super geared obviously, but trust me, I'm overqualified for this place."

"Sh*t, did you pull out your armorings? ***, why would you do that?"

"Set bonus?"

"Tanks don't need a set bonus, they need health, retard."

"Are you trolling me?" (I list my stats. 40% shield rating, 17% defense, 34% absorb.)

"HEALTH, retard. ***, why would you trade 180 for 162?"

"Because comm 180 armorings are crap for tanks, and if you knew what you were talking about, you'd know that."

"lol, you are a bad."

"Can we just get this done? How about you see what I can do before you make a snap judgement, hmm sweetheart?"

"How about you **** out of my group, because I'm not getting wiped because of you."

Then he vote kicks me. I have NEVER, EVER been vote kicked before. It's a new experience. I'm at a loss for words.

Did I mention this was for a tactical?
Proof that NEVER, in ANY circumstances should you underestimate the power of STUPIDITY in people or a mob.

And that healer should be stripped of his/her medic job for utterly FAILING at recognizing when people are OVERQUALIFIED for a TACTICAL of all things.

Sorry for the caps but as a main healer, it stuff like this just boils my blood.

Tieven
07.04.2014 , 10:31 AM | #3655
@ Dras_Keto, um the schooling wasn't necessary I know how to tank and hold aggro, but let me clarified what I meant; I use the slam skill on trash to grab aggro after discharge and wither, it maybe a little overboard but it just my play style. Now can we please move on because this conversation is off topic.
Tieven, The Assassin (55); Wymond, The Operative (55)
Gildrun, The Vanguard (55); Melwyn, The Shadow (35)
Shadowlands

mustopak
07.04.2014 , 10:34 AM | #3656
Found a troll. I went in with my Jugg tank and my friend Merc heals for Colicoid lowbie. This marauder kept on RE-ing any chance he got. I don't mind that much, but here's where it gets annoying.

After the cannon thingy, there's that 4 droids. I told simple instructions to CC any they can and interrupt simulation mode. TrollMarauder refused to do any of them. At first I thought it's a bad. I'm getting really really sick at bads cause they never stop coming lately, but when my friend inspected his achievements, he did some HM DP/DF and my friend informed me that he's likely trolling us.

He pulls ahead of me, refused to CC, spams 1, and obvious troll is obvious. So I told my friend to stop healing him and I just sit there watching him get stomped by those droids =) We waited for him to come back to see if he pulls ahead again, and oh there he went and died again.

So I /leave group, and /ignore. I kinda suspected that his achievements are probably him getting carried thru those HM DP/DF, but we're leaning more towards trolling. And he failed.
Raid Leader <The Ex-Dalborran Elitist>
Tired of carrying bads thru new GF changes.
--> My Drawings <--

Dras_Keto
07.04.2014 , 10:55 AM | #3657
Given that its completely possible for a tank with 32k health to tank the hardmode versions of czerka and keep aggro off ridiculously overgeared dps (by understanding how aggro works), that healer just needs to go bye-bye.

grrrly
07.04.2014 , 03:11 PM | #3658
Double XP so of course I've been running a few KDYs to finally get my last class to 55. It hasn't been too bad, but I did have one group that made me despair at the thought of ever running KDY again. I was on my sentinel, joined by a scoundrel dps, vanguard "tank" and another sentinel, all in the mid levels. The group afforded the vanguard the opportunity to tank, which he did. From range. Without taunts. Really, the only thing that made him resemble a tank was the fact that he agroed the mobs first. The scoundrel also only fought from range (guess those KDY mobs must be scary) and appeared to only be using the first few abilities you get on Ord Mantell, which made me wonder why he bothered with an advanced class. The other sentinel died repeatedly, including at least 5 times on the final boss. You name it, if you can die from it, it killed him. Weird group, and a slow run.

The best run I had was with 3 other sentinels. Yes, this brought about all the annoying behaviour that sentinels have such a bad reputation for. But it didn't matter, we were all sentinels. There was an unspoken understanding. And stuff died fast.

Halinalle
07.05.2014 , 04:21 AM | #3659
"Best" KDY experiences during double XP, so far:
- Using group chat to communicate isn't allowed (???)
- I've been tanking a lot of runs with my Arsenal Merc... (you'd think that level 48+ marauder could at least try)
- At least one proper Marauder! By "proper" I mean the ones that follow The Rules to the letter.
- Some players still don't know how kolto stations work.

And let's not forget the most powerful ability in the game: Overload!
EV 8SM 5/5, KP 8SM 5/5, EC 8SM 4/4, TfB 16SM 0/5, SnV 8SM 7/7
DF 8SM 5/5, DP 16SM 0/5, Rav 16SM 0/5, ToS 16SM 0/5

DrewFromPhilly
07.05.2014 , 10:00 AM | #3660
So this has happened to me twice now (that I know of)

A sniper pulled a group before the tank, and I (as my marauder) lept in after that and after the pull the tank starts ranting at me. Sorry I'm actually paying attention. I have leap bound and tend to use it as soon as I can, so as soon as the group is pulled I go. They don't see the sniper's shot but they see me leaping across the screen and its "oh look another derpy marauder"

How many derpy absent-minded PREJUDICED tanks have come to the same false conclusion and just never mentioned it to me? How many ignore lists am I on unjustifiably? How much of the hate and whining thrown at sent/mara in this thread is caused by this?