Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

slafko
06.10.2014 , 01:14 AM | #3441
Yeah, those little droid adds need to be avoided once they drop their red circles. This means the boss will be rotating in order to follow the kiting tank. Since those droids go after everyone, the entire team is repositioning in that phase and it's more important to avoid getting hit than unleashing your deadliest combo.

Cademimu HM: Had a Vanguard tank that tanked from distance. Mortar Volley, Full Auto, grenade thingy, Harpoon, Bolt... Needless to say, not even guard helped my sentinel and I ended up pulling every few seconds. Good thing I know the sound a vanguard taunt makes so I managed to drop my aggro right after he taunted. But seriously, tanking from a distance? What bothered me most was his refusal to do it properly and the fact that I had to live with it because I was a dps in a team of his guildies. Had I been a healer, the story would have been very different.
I see their R2 droid and I grab it. No, you can't have it back, silly rabbit!

Whojoo
06.10.2014 , 01:18 AM | #3442
I decided to level some alts this weekend with some flashpoints. Well I've managed to get a few stories out of it.

Story 1
KDY on my (Then) 41 guardian dps. Got a full dps group with a commando, sentinel and newbie shadow.
Newbie shadow was a bit slow in the starting area and commando started a vote kick. I complain and decline, but the sentinel does not. So newbie got kicked.
We get a guardian tank and all went well. He was a bit rubish, but things died quick and the commando gave me time to heal up after each fight (since I was basicly tanking). He also threw kolto bombs during the fights.
At some point the tank asks the commando if he can spec healer. Commando says something like 'lol really' and I explain why we do not need one and that he is already throw heals every now and then.
However commando throws a vote kick. I decline again and the sentinel agrees again. The tank respons with 'but I am the only tank' and the the kick got through.
We got a new dps and finished the FP.

Story 2
KDY on my now 42 guardian dps. With 2 sentinel deeps and a guardian 'tank'.
The 3 were 18, 21 and 26 (levels obviously). Rushing ahead and not giving me much time to heal up. I am the one tanking again. First bonus boss I die and immediately after the tank taunts. Couldn't he do so a little bit earlier?
Second death at boss with the nades. I am again tanking. I tell to go left first. 1 setinel follows me, the other goed right and the tank is hitting the boss (which is now actually hitting the tank). I rush to the kolto thing and to the adds. I am the only one taking down adds and the tank dies shortly after nades.
At this point I taunt and tank. Run to kolto tank, get pulled back to boss, run back, survive and nvm.. I died.
After several deaths from others we down him.

Story 3
My now 45 guardian dps. Got an impatient 54 guardian dps, slinger and a heals.
Guardian dps is in a hurry and slinger is new. Slinger wants to watch the cutscene and the guardian complains about his xp boost running out. My response: oh no, you loose 1 minute on your xp boost.
The slinger makes a comment about the npc's look and is called a moron by the guardian.
So we get hangar and kill stuff. Guardian rushes ahead and gives us little time to follow him. He usually leaves for next pull while we are still finishing off the last one. Starting it while we are still at the other side of the room.. And he called the slinger a moron a few times. Eventually I really had it and started a vote kick. Though he just leveld so it had little effect.
We got replacement and things went well.

Story 4 (last one)
On my 17 sage healer running along with my girlfriend and her 18 shadow tank.
Joined by a VG and sentinel euhm.. Tanktinel, sorry but his expert level in ninja training hides it well.
Sentinel jumps ahead on the strongest. But so far we manage. My girlfriend has her taunt and tries to open up herself as often as possible.
Last boss, went well. We kill without a problem. A willpower saber drops and I need on it while the VG and my girlfriend greed. At this point I had the feeling the sentinel would ninja. Why did I have to be right about it? He got the saber and I confront him about it together with the other 2. His response: because it has WILLPOWER!
After that he mentioned he would trade for money. That resulted in a quick ignore.

Overall I had about 2 good/decent groups for each bad/story group in one Hammer Station and several KDY. Overal good weekend.
The Red Eclipse
Republic Enforcers Suddenly Taken Over

TACeMossie
06.10.2014 , 01:48 AM | #3443
Quote: Originally Posted by slafko View Post
Cademimu HM: Had a Vanguard tank that tanked from distance. Mortar Volley, Full Auto, grenade thingy, Harpoon, Bolt... Needless to say, not even guard helped my sentinel and I ended up pulling every few seconds. Good thing I know the sound a vanguard taunt makes so I managed to drop my aggro right after he taunted. But seriously, tanking from a distance? What bothered me most was his refusal to do it properly and the fact that I had to live with it because I was a dps in a team of his guildies. Had I been a healer, the story would have been very different.
Oh god, full auto on a vanguard in general is bad, but on the tank? You really should have pointed out how pushback works, because full auto being used by a vanguard tank is literally the worst thing you can do in this game.
I mean taunting as a Deception Sin is less stupid than that.
Using Double Strike on a sage is a close second, but it still loses out to full auto on a vanguard tank.

FOR THOSE WHO DONT KNOW WHY

Full Auto, when not talented, suffers from Pushback. This means every time you take damage, the channel is pushed 'back' a little - in the case of Full Auto you effectively lose 0.5 seconds every time you take damage. A tank will take damage so much that it will typically get 1 second out of full auto - half its damage - for the same cost as an Ion Pulse. Add to that the fact that it doesn't have the bonus damage from an assault cannon, the extra armor pen from the Mando's accuracy skill (and possibly stance) and the fact that it looks terrible in comparison, every time I see a tank use full auto outside of tacticals (I can solo them so long as the med station is available so I dont mind running with bads there) I tell them its bad, if they ignore my solid advice to replace the full auto with a hammer shots/ion pulse combo, I put them on ignore after the flashpoint, and then finish the flashpoint with them because Im not crazy enough to kick a tank from a HM flashpoint (I can fake tank pretty amazingly in a worst-case scenario). If flashpoint queues get too long I just put my tank gear on anyway.
Kwerty, Level 65 Vanguard/Powertech on The Harbinger

3.0 Guides: Vanguard DPS Guide | Powertech DPS Guide
4.0 Guides: Advanced Prototype | Pyrotech

Cox_The_Beast
06.10.2014 , 09:40 AM | #3444
Got an amazing 16m SM DF run last night, so I thought I should share, since even with quitters we beated it.
I have been the weird one at least twice here.

I was on my DPS Sorcerer, gear mostly 156-162 with 168 bracers and 180 belt. I noticed this call for DPS on fleet and thought "Hey, why not, after all I do need the Op for the mission on Oricon". So, I whispered the guy and offered to link my gear if needed, after specifying I'm in mostly 156-162. I also added that I tanked it on Rep Side as Guardian.
The guy answered that the fact I was willing to link my gear was already an A+ in his book, then invited me and cut out the comments about my gear - everyone else had better, in case you were wondering.

We filled the team pretty fast, even with some that found out they were locked, because when they did notice, they found us replacements. I wish that could become a habit.

At any rate, we begin clearing thrash with no problem, though for some reason I pull agro from everyone - love my Lightning Sorc.
I get no guard though, because as soon as I use my threat drop things are normal again for the rest of my cd.

At any rate, we breeze through Nefra, as I manage the droids. I get 0 dmg total during that fight, if we esclude mechanics, it's just amazing. And noone dropped under 80% health.

Draxus well... We wipe to the first wave with Bulwarks - for some reason enemies get no dmg even from under the shield, I have to stack on my target.
At any rate, attempt 2 I get to tank all the L side alone, so I die. Only the Offtank, an Assassin, and a Pro Merc Healer came to help me. Here is when ppl started quitting, though most of us stayed, and we got replacements really fast.
Third attempt, I was all over the place, DPSing wherever needed and keeping my DoTs on the boss. We downed it, and I got to tank a Guardian. Glad you can interrupt Slam. Fun was starting.

Grob'thok was a breeze too, no issues whatsoever. I pulled the piglets from the Offtank like crazy, but since I was always in front of fhe boss with them behind I got to unleash my AoEs and kill them in moments, together with the others, once they realized. I also got no guard till then, though at that point the Offtank did guard me.

Brontes, we wiped three times, but eventually we managed.
First time I died when the ohko tentacles appeared after their effect applied - crazy, though I think it was a client problem on my part. Then the others were too slow on droid and... well, 3 explosions hurt.
Second try, we die at Kephess, noone cleansed the Nanites apart from healers, so it was hard to keep ppl alive. I started cleansing myself once I noticed, but... we already lost 3 healers and the maintank by then, and even my offheals were not enough to keep the Offtank alive...
Third attempt, we are going ok, but in the phase with Hands and Fingers, well... I am the only one alive of Left team.
I did call for support as I tanked the Hand, but.. you know, Sorcs are frail. And noone came, but nvm.
Kudos to the Merc Healer I mentioned before though, he kept me alive alone till the Hand was at 30%! And remember I was alone there, and even though I squeezed all the time I could with my Godbubble... it took longer than you may think.
In the end though, we wiped there. And a DPS left midfight, though we noticed only after we pulled for the 4th attempt...
At any rate, 4th try was the best: we lost some DPS on the way, and even the Offtank at a point - the Maintank switched Guard on me as soon as Offtank died, though. The best was the last phase. With the Battle Rez Debuff ticking because someone rezzed a DPS right at start, the Maintank was getting quite a beating, stacks growing and so on. Well, I tanked a Hand, so I figured I could aswell Offtank Brontes. Crazy, I know, but at that point...
I clicked off my Guard and unleashed my burn phase on Brontes. I pulled easily and kited till the Battle Rez debuff was off - got 12 stacks of Brontes' one at that point by then - then threat dropped, followed by Godbubble to selfcleanse. Maintank got Brontes back and I Battle Rezzed Offtank.
In the end we won.

Ppl was lolling like crazy, though. Tanking Sorc, yeah!
"Saviour, conqueror, hero, villain. You were all these things, Revan... and yet you are nothing. In the end you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone."
Darth Malak to Revan on the Leviathan.

BigBreakfast
06.10.2014 , 09:59 AM | #3445
Quote: Originally Posted by Cox_The_Beast View Post
At any rate, 4th try was the best: we lost some DPS on the way, and even the Offtank at a point - the Maintank switched Guard on me as soon as Offtank died, though. The best was the last phase. With the Battle Rez Debuff ticking because someone rezzed a DPS right at start, the Maintank was getting quite a beating, stacks growing and so on. Well, I tanked a Hand, so I figured I could aswell Offtank Brontes. Crazy, I know, but at that point...
I clicked off my Guard and unleashed my burn phase on Brontes. I pulled easily and kited till the Battle Rez debuff was off - got 12 stacks of Brontes' one at that point by then - then threat dropped, followed by Godbubble to selfcleanse. Maintank got Brontes back and I Battle Rezzed Offtank.
In the end we won.

Ppl was lolling like crazy, though. Tanking Sorc, yeah!
Your posts are so colorful

Edit: Also, is there a stacking debuff in SM? I've played all roles here multiple times and I've never worried about stacks. Never done HM, but Dulfy says there are no stacks in SM.

Cox_The_Beast
06.10.2014 , 10:11 AM | #3446
Quote: Originally Posted by BigBreakfast View Post
Your posts are so colorful
Glad you like them, I find it easier to avoid confusion between serious and sarcastic comments with smiles.

Edit: There is, though the effect is fairly low compared to HM or higher. Unless you're undergeared it can be ignored, in my experience.
"Saviour, conqueror, hero, villain. You were all these things, Revan... and yet you are nothing. In the end you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone."

AbsolutGrndZero
06.11.2014 , 03:12 AM | #3447
Quote: Originally Posted by Whojoo View Post
Story 3
My now 45 guardian dps. Got an impatient 54 guardian dps, slinger and a heals.
Guardian dps is in a hurry and slinger is new. Slinger wants to watch the cutscene and the guardian complains about his xp boost running out. My response: oh no, you loose 1 minute on your xp boost.
Actually, he would lose no time at all. Buffs and such pause while you are in a cutscene. I use that trick all the time if I need to go AFK with an XP boost running but don't want to log out or if I want to talk to my guildmates more than am able to do while working hard to maximize my xp gains. I enter a conversation with an NPC and then go do whatever, and then return... worst case scenario i get booted for being AFK, best case scenario, I return and resume playing with my entire XP boost remaining.

I am sure it still works, because I recently used a one hour social points boost, running Black Talon twice, and even watching all the cutscenes entirely (I was doing it with some new players, getting them gear and teaching them the ropes while I farmed social points) I still had time left at the end of the second run.
The Babylon Legacy
Harbinger
Racquel, Stancerry, Jennica, Porcelain

slafko
06.11.2014 , 07:15 AM | #3448
I never really paid attention to those boosts but it's nice to know they're paused while in cutscenes.
I see their R2 droid and I grab it. No, you can't have it back, silly rabbit!

BobFredJohn
06.11.2014 , 07:23 AM | #3449
stood round on fleet today getting my fix of what I have come to known as the "comedy chat," headhuntress on general chat (tomb of freedon naad, if your interested). When I get an fp group pop, cadiemu (33 merc healer).

Load in and wait for the other 3 sin tank, op dps and pt dps. Sin pulls first group and is rediculously squishy (never seen any health go down so fast). After the fight I notice the sin isnt in any charge so I politely point it out to him "could you pop dark charge? makes my job easier". this works and the sin is now taking damage like a boss.

second pull sin stealths up to cc an enemy, then pulls on another 1, we all open fire and the pt breaks the 1 cc, not with an aoe, but of the 6 enemies he chose to shoot the cc'd one with rapid shot (part of his rotation: rapid shot with DFA on CD). This happens for the next 2 pulls, at which point I realise the pt doesnt understand cc.

Early on I also realised the sin tank had not put guard on anyone, though im not too bothered by it as he never even takes aggro, let alone hold it. I cba trying to explain aggro holding etc to him as, from his performance its clear hes new to the game (an opinion I also held about the other 2).

During the cantina ambush I notice the op must be healer specced, but forgot to untick damage box as he spams heals throughout. Again I choose to ignore this as there have been no serious issues at any point so far.

sadly though, 2 pulls before the first boss, my typical server lag kicks in, hovering between the 4500 and 5000 mark. I state in chat "sorry guys, im going to go i cant heal properly with this lag." However while typing this they do the next pull so I run along and attempt to heal (difficult with this sort of lag, it pretty much means if I click a heal as the previous one finishes casting, the following heal will start casting in 5 seconds time, as you can imagine doing an fp with a healer only able to throw out 1 heal every 7 seconds is rather difficult). Luckily that pull was easy so not much healing required.

The next pull is the 1 before the first boss and with the sin not holding aggro, the op playing as a ranged character (though not in cover so they can at least do afew snipes), the pt breaking every cc with his rapid fire spamming and a healer who has 5000ms (5 second) server lag, it falls to pieces and its a wipe. I apologise for my healing, stating that this lag is making healing difficult and politely leave so they can bring in another healer (or that op can heal and they can get another dps).

After exiting the area I realise I have forgotten to quit the group, as I am about to do so the sin asks where I went, I repeated my problem in more detail (my server lag, not my opinion of the group as, although they were all playing rather poorly, somehow everything still went well). They then say they cant complete the mission with only 3, I therefore explain how to requeue, then leave the group.

Im still undecided if these should go on ignore, they are all aweful (pt doesnt understand cc, op plays as ranged dps and sin tunnel visions) but somehow the mission (as far as I got anyway) was easy.
Teach me not what to think, but how to think

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. People are also entitled to ridicule your opinion if it is BS.

Cox_The_Beast
06.11.2014 , 09:11 AM | #3450
If you ask me there should be no need for ignore. They were playing poorly, but that's something most new players would do - though at that point you're supposed to have taken the hint...

Imo, they were simply new. Very new.