Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.


Nkya's Avatar


Nkya
06.11.2013 , 02:30 AM | #291
Everyone having their fun on the trash can be okay if they're strong enough and know the place well, but it's hard to know in advance on a PUG. Also they should respect the other's roles. I've seen once a DPS initiating the pulls with AOE. My tank would have let him die under the swarm of mobs if the healer wouldn't have started to heal him...

Leafy_Bug's Avatar


Leafy_Bug
06.11.2013 , 05:08 AM | #292
A guildie wants to get some gear for his shadow and I join him for a FP via the group finder. Was not in a mood to take my BIS 72 tank so I took my almost BIS 72 sentinel. We get a miraculous pop in 10 minutes and we are in Athiss. The FP starts with me slicing the elevator and the vanguard tank pulling all the mobs close to the elevator getting us killed. He says and I quote 'i have never used the elevator'. I replied 'not a problem it happens'.


We clear first boss and we get outside the tomb. He pulls a bunch of mobs i leap to kill the mobs but he misses the elite that is killing the healer, so I leap to the elite and halfway through my masterstrike he pulls the elite off me. Not having leap, i go back slowly as he harpooned over 20m. We get to the next pair of packs, same thing, he ignores the elite sorcs and seeing they attack the healer, again, I leap to one on the rocks. What does he do? He pulls it again from me. We kill some more trash and when he pulls mobs away from me the 6th time and I say 'i wish i were tanking and you were DPS-ing so I can pull all the mobs off you '. He replies : 'that is what you get for not attacking the mobs I pull. The more you attack other mobs, the more I pull them'. I reply in a friendly manner, 'if you are going to pull the whole pack, do so, don't pull three people and get the healer almost killed, when i see he is in trouble i leap to kill the mob'. He continues 'i am the boss, i do what i want, i am the tank'. I say, yeah you are 'a tank, not THE tank, you really need to learn to pull a room and how to hold aggro on all the mobs not just on the little ones while the elite kills your healer. Also, kiting a mob when you have two melee dps shows how awesome you are as a tank.


I agree we need to respect roles in a flashpoint and let the tank pull but when you see such incompetence and you intervene some flexibility is needed. Also, is there some vanguard thing where you tank a boss and you kite him so I, the sentinel, has to run all the time to do damage?
Guild: Rebel Dream Stream:Shadow Tank PoV
Server
: TOFN

Nkya's Avatar


Nkya
06.11.2013 , 05:47 AM | #293
Quote: Originally Posted by Leafy_Bug View Post
Also, is there some vanguard thing where you tank a boss and you kite him so I, the sentinel, has to run all the time to do damage?
Playing a Vanguard Tank, I've never seen the interest to kite anything, especially not a boss. Vanguard is melee too; they have a few ranged attack, but either they can't be cast while running either they don't do significant damage. On pack, cast AOE to hit the most and follow the kill order. If this tank has no care of his healer, maybe he's used to kite to survive by his own, who knows.

On Athis, I might see why someone could do that on the last boss, even if it's a wrong tactic. The boss drops AOE under the tank. Also DPS often return too early on the boss when being chased by the floating flames. The tank ends having an AOE, the boss and 6 flames heading toward him in the same time. Time to run away!

ZeroPlus's Avatar


ZeroPlus
06.11.2013 , 08:54 AM | #294
Quote: Originally Posted by Nkya View Post
...
On Athis, I might see why someone could do that on the last boss, even if it's a wrong tactic. The boss drops AOE under the tank. Also DPS often return too early on the boss when being chased by the floating flames. The tank ends having an AOE, the boss and 6 flames heading toward him in the same time. Time to run away!
P.S: The "flames" only hurt the player that has the debuff. Noone else has to worry about the flames. If you are tanking the boss, do not have the debuff and the flames head your way, you don't have to move.
If you seek answers, you must always ask questions. - Master Vandar Tokare.

[Suggestion] Add another Blaster Pistol with the "A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler" model = DONE!

NoFishing's Avatar


NoFishing
06.11.2013 , 10:05 AM | #295
Quote: Originally Posted by ZeroPlus View Post
P.S: The "flames" only hurt the player that has the debuff. Noone else has to worry about the flames. If you are tanking the boss, do not have the debuff and the flames head your way, you don't have to move.
Yep. I had a tank/healer combo insist *repeatedly* that the flames did AoE damage, even though I have healed that dozens of times and knew they were wrong. I tried to correct them, figured they were thinking of the cleansable dot, but they kept insisting.

So I insisted on dancing in the flames as much as possible as they moved around the room.

Spyderwraith's Avatar


Spyderwraith
06.11.2013 , 10:21 AM | #296
I don't usually PUG the 55 GF as i tend to prefer running with guildies in a pre-made but one instance which is the only that comes to mind recently is that myself, who is a Guardian tank and one guildie DPS shadow ended up just queing for it and we get Mandolorian raiders.

Things seemed fine except as the FP progressed and we got through bosses. The healer (Who was level 55 with decent gear 63-69 i didnt look to closley) ONLY used AoE heals. there was no instances wherein i noticed him spot healing me or anything and there was no healing except for his big AoE. It was pretty funny as I died about 6 times in the entire FP and was constantly spamming my defensives.
We get to the Boss the mandolrian guy and on our first attempt we wipe, The DPS pug says to me "Hit the turrets" and i say "Well yeah i am hitting the turrets as well as making sure the boss and said turrets don't also hit any of y'all".

wishingwell's Avatar


wishingwell
06.11.2013 , 11:30 AM | #297
Quote: Originally Posted by NoFishing View Post
Yep. I had a tank/healer combo insist *repeatedly* that the flames did AoE damage, even though I have healed that dozens of times and knew they were wrong. I tried to correct them, figured they were thinking of the cleansable dot, but they kept insisting.

So I insisted on dancing in the flames as much as possible as they moved around the room.
I've been killed by the flames after they killed their original target before. Maybe they had a similar situation and mistakenly thought it was just aoe damage? I dunno. (Honestly, when that happened to me, it was so fast that I never even saw if I got the debuff. I was just trying to get los for a combat rez right when the healer went down, and boom.)

Quote: Originally Posted by Spyderwraith View Post
Things seemed fine except as the FP progressed and we got through bosses. The healer (Who was level 55 with decent gear 63-69 i didnt look to closley) ONLY used AoE heals. there was no instances wherein i noticed him spot healing me or anything and there was no healing except for his big AoE. It was pretty funny as I died about 6 times in the entire FP and was constantly spamming my defensives.
I've seen this too, and it really confuses me. Especially when you see someone toss down a Salvation, start DPSing, and then if someone dies they apologize and say they had no power. (At that point we usually just politely ask them to not DPS and things go a bit better... usually.) On the other side of that coin, I've got a Sage healer and I use my Salvation carefully; I use it when it's needed but I don't toss it out there on CD like some seem to do. I've had people tell me I need to use it "all the time" -- on easy runs where there were no deaths and usually little to no party damage, so I only needed to heal the tank 95% of the time. Baffled. It IS a nice skill and all, but there are times when you just don't need it so much.

Lowyjowylof's Avatar


Lowyjowylof
06.11.2013 , 01:21 PM | #298
I pug a Mando raiders with a guildie, he was healer I was DPS, we get in the FP and see the tank is 69s + augmented. We were like this should be easy....yea ok..after each dying a few times to the boarding party, we sort of realized he wasn't area taunting at all after adds kept mugging my guildie. Anyway after we've wiped a couple times we try to explain the fight and he was absolutely insistent that he only needed to tank 1 of the 4 and it was Erzaline.

So after 1 more wipe we said peace and put him on ignore.
Battle is an orgy of disorder.
George S. Patton

Spyderwraith's Avatar


Spyderwraith
06.11.2013 , 01:32 PM | #299
Quote: Originally Posted by Lowyjowylof View Post
I pug a Mando raiders with a guildie, he was healer I was DPS, we get in the FP and see the tank is 69s + augmented. We were like this should be easy....yea ok..after each dying a few times to the boarding party, we sort of realized he wasn't area taunting at all after adds kept mugging my guildie. Anyway after we've wiped a couple times we try to explain the fight and he was absolutely insistent that he only needed to tank 1 of the 4 and it was Erzaline.

So after 1 more wipe we said peace and put him on ignore.
I've bolded and color coded the main points I am curious about. I'm assuming you mean the 4 "Bosses" the maurader BH agent and sorc?
I've never had any issues with that as I AoE taunt initially Saber reflect and periodically tab target to see if anybody has aggro off of me and if they do i go to them wack them a few times and it's back on me. How these bosses are difficult is beyond me. Unless the dps know nothing of the kill order and herp derp thier way along.
EDIT and I suppose based on your post the Tank knows nothing and herp derps his way along LOLLOL

NoFishing's Avatar


NoFishing
06.11.2013 , 01:36 PM | #300
Quote: Originally Posted by wishingwell View Post
I've had people tell me I need to use it "all the time" -- on easy runs where there were no deaths and usually little to no party damage, so I only needed to heal the tank 95% of the time. Baffled. It IS a nice skill and all, but there are times when you just don't need it so much.
I once pugged into a TfB and joined the organizing guild's voice chat. On Kephess, the main tank instructed the sage healer in the group put down a salvation that the tank could leap into at the very start. Now, I have a sage healer that I know how to play pretty well...so I found this to be just about the dumbest thing you could ask a sage to do. Spend 91 force to heal a single target for maybe 3-4k between the time the pull happens and salvation expires? Were they deliberately trying to run the sage out of force in this fight??? So I voiced my objection, saying sages should focus on bubble and single target healing at the start...the tank gave some mealy-mouthed "well it's another HoT". I whispered the sage and told him his tank didn't have a clue and he should ignore any further direction from that idiot.