Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Wobbleharrison
04.14.2014 , 04:28 PM | #2621
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
Just between us chickens, I actually wasn't being particularly serious. I tossed off a casual comment, guessing at what another poster meant.

Somehow, this is so important to you, that you have to not only dissect my unimportant post into tiny pieces, but you have to then follow it up with a wall of text, on a thread that started out as "let's tell humorous stories about flashpoints"

The Shadow forum is that way. Perhaps there, your infinite wisdom may be appreciated in all it's glory.
I agree

AdirahBerkovich
04.14.2014 , 10:02 PM | #2622
Is there something buggy about the first two pulls in Red Reaper imp-side?
I wasn't able to spot any of the first two pulls, leaving the tank to rely on target of target to find any of them. Meanwhile, we have a healsorc who'd queued for dps toss out a comment along the lines of 'taunt, you dimwit'.
Let me just waste my aoe taunt without knowing what I'm going to catch, let alone if I'm catching anything, why don't I? We wipe on those pulls, naturally, but the healing dps ditches (whispering my sister, who was healing and had queued for heals with a 'taking the nope train, have fun') afterwards and we get a replacement just before the first boss. Now, our replacement was a Jugger who was most definitely specced into tanking (I could hear him using bash and I had to swap guard from the 'sin to him), but we didn't wipe at all.

I'm really not sure what it is with those first two pulls, though--

Ah!
Also, kudos to the sin for not only putting up with all that crap, but being an amazing stealthstunner and general 'pain-in-our-enemy's-backside'.
"And if I had the answers I'd have written them out, so I can tell you what to do and what this thing is about, but all I've ever learned comes second-hand, and I dare not preach what I don't understand."

SW_display_name
04.14.2014 , 10:31 PM | #2623
Quote: Originally Posted by AdirahBerkovich View Post
Is there something buggy about the first two pulls in Red Reaper imp-side?
The first 3 rooms of Red Reaper are a bizarre social experiment on BioWare's part to see how much inexplicable pain they can inflict on 4 total strangers within the first 60 seconds of a FP.

And yes it's 'normal' for mobs to be invisible. Consider this a 'feature'.

Here is a rough summary of how those rooms work:
  • There are a bunch of angry psycho mobs that hit much harder than their "Strong" classification suggests.
  • Those psycho mobs are busy hitting Republic NPCs and will ignore you.
  • Those psycho mobs are still in combat, meaning they're 'listening' for any aggressive actions you take such as buffing or healing and because the Pub NPCs do crap damage, the psycho Purebloods will very easily aggro onto anyone who does anything near them that generates threat.
  • There is an invisible trigger point near the doorway leading out of the room that causes 4 more of the Strongs to spawn in the hallway, and rush into the room.
  • These 4 new mobs are 'aggro'd', meaning they're listening for aggressive actions in other words, the Tank doesn't notice them because they're in the hallway, so the only Threat these mobs get put on their aggro table is the healer.

The net result is that most groups that blunder right into the space of the doorway to kill the first couple Purebloods, trigger the extra spawn and then end up fighting 7-8 psycho Strongs simultaneously. These things hit hard enough to basically 1 or 2-shot even a geared tank if all their Ataru procs line up, etc.

Combine this with people having no idea what's going on, tunnel-visioning, ignoring the healer's safety, and not using hard CC like stuns to reduce damage and you have an absolute PUG-shredding death trap.

Room #2 is completely avoidable because all the Purebloods are distracted beating on Pub NPCs, but someone usually aggros because the Purifiers (Purebloods with guns) have an Ion Cell buff which makes their attacks proc a small AoE zap around their victim.

If this AoE zap hits anyone as they're passing by a Pub NPC, boom your entire party is now instantly in-combat with the entire second room of Purebloods and has to kill every single one to be allowed to use the elevator.

Room #3 (up the elevator) is more of the same. You have 4 nasty Strongs, and then 3-4 more spawn in the distant hallway and rush in. This causes so much party-wide damage that, again, it can totally overwhelm even a geared healer or totally explode a geared tank.

And since tanks usually don't notice the 3 new Purifiers that are obliterating their healer, it's usually a chain-reaction of Healer death → Tank death → everyone death.

It pretty much goes on like that for the rest of the FP. Any healer that pulls you through a Red Reaper run deserves your love and a Purple Heart, and any tank that actually holds aggro on all the random mobs that run in from all over the place will earn a healer's undying adoration.

So, yeah, Red Reaper should probably have 1 'e' subtracted from its name for a more accurate description. All the mobs hit like trucks driving trucks on amphetamine and it's totally compared to the softcore easy pulls you've had for the last 40 levels of Group Finder.

LydMekk
04.14.2014 , 10:38 PM | #2624
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
not as much weird as tiresome.
double xp weekend, somehow get sm Candemimu (I mean I was queued for everything, but KDY seemed to pop pretty much exclusively until then) I'm on my baby operative and I haven't upgraded her gear in 10 levels. but... ok, I can handle it, my main is an operative, I've healed tougher stuff than that.

except. our tank has one of the most extreme cases of tunnel vision I've had displeasure to encounter. I'm sucking wind after every fight, becasue I have to spam heal tank AND the sorc that ends up tanking pretty much everything but the one mob tank is focusing on. but... we're moving, progressing... until the part where you are clearing through droids etc to get to the wookie - specifically that double pull at the top of the stairs. for some incomprehensible to me reason, tank decides not to tank the group once his chosen mob is dead and just runs ahead... leaving the rest of us to deal with pretty much everything else. sorc bless their heart - tries their best and so do i, and maybe if I were in upgraded gear, I could have pulled us through it... but I wasn't. and we die, while sniper just barely finishes off the last mob.
sorc finally has enough and very politely asks tank to please finish tanking mobs before running off and consider giving him guard so that he'd pull less aggro.

indignant tank tells sorc that they don't know anything becasue they are not a tank and they should shut up, unless they want to find another tank. me and sorc try to explain the concept of alts AND how threat tables work. tank zones out. sniper pulls out Kaliyo and we easily kill the wookie while waiting for a new tank.. who shows up in a middle of trash pull, realises that its an almost finished flashpoint... and leaves group becasue he'd rather wait for a debuff to wear off, then get a super easy and fast quest turn in xp >_> this time I pull out my Treek (thanks to obscene amount of presence I have, she's tougher than Sniper's Kaliyo even in unupgraded gear - and easier for me to target for healing) and we finish off the flashpoint with no issues. (because I know how to switch between passive and aggressive modes for the purposes of kiting )

I'm still trying to figure out the logic behind taking a debuff that won't let you even try for another flashpoint for like 15 minutes, vs finishing off a quick 5 minute flashpoint with its 30k xp turn in and then getting another run in less then half the time you are going to spend waiting for the debuff to wear off. (that and if you don't want flashpoints in progress... deselect that option for the love of.)
I was the sniper, Kaliyo sends her greetings
I hope BW can make healing comps easier by putting up a "Group icon" for them together With the rest of the party so its easier to click the comp. Would solve some issues.

Ya, put the last idiot tank on ignore, we were 4 mins from completion and easy XP...
I hear Your Treek and my Kaliyo became best buddies after this one lol

Good run.

Fidelicatessen
04.14.2014 , 11:55 PM | #2625
Quote: Originally Posted by DawnAskham View Post
Knockbacks DO NOT exist to blast enemies randomly all over the place.

If you use knockback on CD in a group setting for the damage, and especially if you are consistently knocking mobs out of aoe / melee range, you are a bad player and the type that gets added to my ignore list.

If you use knockbacks to get some breathing room when being overwhelmed or to push a couple of side ranged mobs into a group of melee mobs for aoe or to toss an annoying champ over a ledge to their death, then you are the type I'll probably want to group with again in the future.

And sadly I find myself grouped with many more of the former than the later.
^^ THIS ... is the correct use of knockback. Thank you for stating it so succinctly, Dawn.

There is nothing wrong with knockback when used well. MOST people have no clue how to use it well, though (it seems, at least, in PUGs).

Fidelicatessen
04.15.2014 , 01:06 AM | #2626
Quote: Originally Posted by SW_display_name View Post
The first 3 rooms of Red Reaper are a bizarre social experiment on BioWare's part to see how much inexplicable pain they can inflict on 4 total strangers within the first 60 seconds of a FP.

And yes it's 'normal' for mobs to be invisible. Consider this a 'feature'.

Here is a rough summary of how those rooms work:
[...funny stuff...]
Great post! I lol'd.

Loc_n_lol
04.15.2014 , 01:25 AM | #2627
Quote: Originally Posted by SW_display_name View Post
[...]
So, yeah, Red Reaper should probably have 1 'e' subtracted from its name for a more accurate description. [...]
Rofl. Yes, all of this.
But it feels so good when you actually manage to tank/heal this without a death.

Ok, unrelated. There's one thing I have noticed very frequently and that tends to annoy me a fair amount as someone who plays tanks and a sorc healer. It's when you're tanking a flashpoint and the healer is a sage/sorc, you pull a mob, grab all the aggro, get instantly pummeled, and they start healing you by dropping an aoe at your feet... Like, is anyone else in urgent need of healing ? No ? Then WHY ?

slafko
04.15.2014 , 01:26 AM | #2628
Got vote kicked from KDY after asking to be rezzed and replying with "Sherlock" to a comment "rez and run back" when I had already done so and managed to catch up with the team. I don't think I've ever put three people on ignore so fast. Then I made an effort to ignore them on all my characters.

Let them whine about long dps queue.
I see their R2 droid and I grab it. No, you can't have it back, silly rabbit!

Jeweledleah
04.15.2014 , 02:30 AM | #2629
Quote: Originally Posted by LydMekk View Post
I was the sniper, Kaliyo sends her greetings
I hope BW can make healing comps easier by putting up a "Group icon" for them together With the rest of the party so its easier to click the comp. Would solve some issues.

Ya, put the last idiot tank on ignore, we were 4 mins from completion and easy XP...
I hear Your Treek and my Kaliyo became best buddies after this one lol

Good run.
oh hey! so that's where Treek has been sneaking off to. I had her followed, but she's one sneaky teddy bear. she better not run up any gambling debts :P

and yeah, ability to see companions on group frames would be incredibly welcome. and thank you for being the quiet stoic one who gets the job done

Adaliaya
04.15.2014 , 05:46 AM | #2630
Red Reaper HM.
Me Sage healer, Guardian DPS, Commando DPS and Shadowtank.
Tank engages before Commando gets from video. First thing I notice is that he has mostly greens, no headgear at all, and empty orange focus. He has 17k hp. When Commando joins battle I notice he has 20k hp.
Tank takes tons of damage and he uses Force in Balace as AoE (dps tree talent). And has Force Techique. First wave of spawning mobs come right to me. When I'm at 10% HP I decide to save myself and use Force Barrier. During my barrier Tank dies but DPS mostly kill mobs and we finish them off. I rez tank and he points out that I'm a noob because I let him die. He does not heal himself, and charges next avoidable room when Commando is still regenerating. Tank followed by Commando die fast. That point I am pretty sure we wipe but I'm glad to be wrong. Guardian swapped to Soresu and taunted all mobs that were killing me. I ofc start healing him like mad and we survive pull that Guardian luckily was luckily a god tank compared to our tank (and Guardian had DPS spec and gear)
And following discussion was pretty bizarre:
Tank: noob healer! Why am I dead! And noob dps Soresu is tank form
Guardian: she didn't heal you because she was knocked by mobs. No good tank leaves his DPS and healer being killed by mobs. Because you are not tanking, I just did it for you. And form, I will swap it immediately when you swap to Combat Technique.
Tank goes silent.

Guardian initiates votekick against tank, I accept it and he leaves. Before he leaves he tells us that we will be ignored