Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Halinalle
04.13.2014 , 10:41 PM | #2611
Quote: Originally Posted by grrrly View Post
Double xp weekend so I am doing lots of KDY with my lowbie sage. Two days in, and about the only thing making this flashpoint interesting is bad groups. So I'm quite tolerant when things go wrong in KDY groups, but at this point I am ready to scream every time I see a DPS using their knockback.

If I see someone using their knockback on the first mob, I seriously contemplate leaving because I know it's going to be a painful run. I understand that very low level toons don't have many abilities and that this is probably their only AOE. I also understand it's necessary to use a knockback if you're getting swarmed by adds and nobody else is trying to take them off you. But I don't understand why people from levels 40 to 54 who have far better options would use a knockback as their MAIN damaging ability, using it every time it comes off cooldown. If you're a sage (and they seem to be the class most guilty of this), why would you think that your knockback is a better option than the Mortar Volley the commando in the group is obviously lining up to use, until you screw things up by pushing the mobs right out of it?

This has definitely replaced marauder / sentinel tanks as my pet peeve in groups!
At least Marauder can tank every champion in KDY if healer is still alive. I don't usually do it but what can you do when everyone else dies withing first 10 seconds? Even Shadow/Assassin dps can tank Elite Defender if healer lives long enough so you can easily burn it down.

I have to agree that if I see 3 non-force users in my group I'm like "thank you God!". Sages/Sorcs are the worst when it comes to knockbacs. If I see someone doing it for every group of mobs when melee is just about to attack them then I start using single target abilities only (for example Grav round, HIB, Full Auto as Commando).

TACeMossie
04.13.2014 , 11:16 PM | #2612
Quote: Originally Posted by DalekTheCat View Post
Cademimu HM.

Newly leveled tank with about 25k health. Also a newbie, didn't know the fights.

2 casually geared, average dps from the same guild.

Me on my severely overgeared healer without a care in the world.

Even before we engage the first trash mob, the dps start making fun of the tank, saying how he has no business being there and how they were going to carry him. He's polite and honest, says yes he's new, sorry about that, but they keep ragging on him even after I say it'll be totally fine, because it's not like Cademimu is difficult or anything.

Tank screws up the first boss because he doesn't know the mechanics, but nobody dies so who cares. He leaves the flashpoint anyway, because the dps won't stop telling him how bad he is. For some reason they assumed I was totally okay with this elitist attitude, and weren't worried about alienating the healer as well as the tank.

So the dps whined about having spent an hour in queue and now we're down a tank, wah wah wah, so I break out my darling 45k Kaliyo to tank for us, and what does the dps do? Leap into the first large mob we see before Kaliyo and promptly die, probably while yelling "YOLO SWAG" in real life. "The hell with this," thought I, and I left since I had no desire to carry two bad dps with terrible attitudes through Cademimu. I prayed that they never got replacements, and went to read a book.

People, if Cademimu is so intimidating for you that you can't deal with it without a fully Dread Forged tank to hold your hand, you are bad. And you should probably be quiet about your insecurities.
If the DPS are treating the tank like that, what you do is simple

1. Whisper the tank, tell him he's doing fine
2. Whisper the tank, tell him you're gonna vote kick the other 2 dps one by one to get rid of them and get nicer DPS's
3. Vote kick the DPS 1 by 1 with the reason "Complete ***** that dont deserve to get this run"
4. Queue up for new DPS.
5. Collect winnings with a tank who wasn't insulted by the bads anymore. Also, if possible let the tank win every roll so his gear gets better.

CheaterLL
04.14.2014 , 12:33 AM | #2613
Quote: Originally Posted by Halinalle View Post
At least Marauder can tank every champion in KDY if healer is still alive. I don't usually do it but what can you do when everyone else dies withing first 10 seconds? Even Shadow/Assassin dps can tank Elite Defender if healer lives long enough so you can easily burn it down.

I have to agree that if I see 3 non-force users in my group I'm like "thank you God!". Sages/Sorcs are the worst when it comes to knockbacs. If I see someone doing it for every group of mobs when melee is just about to attack them then I start using single target abilities only (for example Grav round, HIB, Full Auto as Commando).
On my Sniper I'm tanking every champion in KDY even without a healer and sometimes if we have a tank in our group I still end up tanking
CheaterLL, GM <you always wipe together>
Semi-Progression @ T3-M4
Juggernaut Tank/Sniper DPS/Sorcerer Heal

Nakkyi
04.14.2014 , 01:58 AM | #2614
So, queued up for my daily pug as usual. Got Colicoid War Game. Now, I've not once done this FP ever. So, moment I spawn, I politely address the group who is comprised of two 46s and a 48.(I'm only 40) that I've never been there. Silence. When our last member spawns in, we proceed to turrets. The tank, before anybody mounts them, asks if anyone hasn't done this before. Again, I say I've never done any of the FP before. Well, no explanation was given. So, I mount up and use the on screen prompts and just start blasting away. I took the white ones as I noticed they were ranged before switching to the green swarmers. I took the time to make sure my blind spots were covered just in-case. Well, I end up getting mobbed from the area that the tank was covering. Turns out, he was only shooting the ranged bugs.

Naturally, the group ends up wiping. The other dps ragequits. Tank asked what the problem was. I say, for the 3rd time mind you, that I've not done ANY OF THE FREAKING WAR GAME BEFORE. Again, silence. Healer whispers me saying she's been pugged with this tank before and he is just an ***. She kindly explains exactly what to do so I'm not shooting blindly(all puns intended). Well, second attempt all goes well. Almost. Tank is again only shooting the ranged ones and anything that is attacking him. Naturally, the others are getting overwhelmed. Again, we wipe. "F this, you stupid morons." The tank says as he ragequits. Spent about 20 minutes in queue looking for another tank to no avail.

fire-breath
04.14.2014 , 02:31 AM | #2615
Quote: Originally Posted by thewitchdoctor View Post
You should try it again but this time take the Beast to that far cave (the 2d common strategy for Athis PUGs). You won't get the adds that way.

My Assassin is a tank in off spec only, so, I don't know that she's geared enough. May be able to do it on my Guardian whose main spec is tank.

Would be fun to try. Its just a repair bill, after all.
Thx for the tip.
Which cave would that be? The one in the very back (heading right instead of left on the stairs just before the boss)? Since I tend to either tank pugs myself or I get tankpugs who are doing the same/screwing up royally.

I think a guardian would not be bad at all either. Mainly the new focussed defense plays very nice while solo'ing content (at least it does on my lv43 lowbe tank). And afterall, its just a repairbill. Plus if it doesnt work out you just ask a guildy for some support and you breeze trough it.
Progression raiding toons on the big RED
Macewindy - Sab Slinger since patch 1.2 through ups and downs
PugsloveHP - the 96k HP commando DPS/healer
(4.0 HP, currently updating it to 5.0)

fire-breath
04.14.2014 , 02:48 AM | #2616
Quote: Originally Posted by rantboi View Post
yeah it's better to not use the markers when there's idiots in the group. if you mark something for cc someone attacks it right away but if you mark something in a boss fight to be killed first they completely ignore the marked mob
Speaking about markers .... Last week I was in a TfB SM pugrun where I thought to make good use of the fp/ops class markers. At Kephess I typed in chat that I would mark the pylon where I would take Kephess and were we would cleanse nanites (to clarify, I was on a tanktoon).
Somehow the group managed to ALWAYS choose the other pylon. Since they were consistent I didn't fret it and just pulled the boss to the pylon where people were channeling .
Progression raiding toons on the big RED
Macewindy - Sab Slinger since patch 1.2 through ups and downs
PugsloveHP - the 96k HP commando DPS/healer
(4.0 HP, currently updating it to 5.0)

Garster
04.14.2014 , 10:40 AM | #2617
HM Czerka Meltdown on Duneclaw fight as a healer. I've healed it tons of times before, even with an undergeared tank who's never done it before but it's easy enough to explain so it's usually been no problem. This time, I get a tank who thinks he knows what he's doing. Before the pull, he starts off by going to the far right barrel/generator right away. Apparently, he thinks that the barrels turn green in a fixed pattern. I ask him why he's over there. He says "lol" in party chat and comes back over by us. He pulls and things are going well in the center. Then when sandstorm comes, he goes right back to that same far right barrel EVEN THOUGH IT'S NOT LIT UP GREEN. I go in completely the opposite direction, towards the green barrel with nobody following me. DPS follows the clueless tank and the tank is still there by the nongreen barrel, just oblivious to everything going on, unaware of their health bars going down down down. I ask in party chat "does that barrel look green to you?". Tank responds "just heal and shut your big fat mouth". I leave group after the inevitable wipe.

DawnAskham
04.14.2014 , 11:52 AM | #2618
Quote: Originally Posted by TheRandomno View Post
Sages don't get AoE till 34 (proper AoE circle stuff) so they probably wouldn't think about it. Also Sage heal tree used to have knockback heal everyone, till they moved it up the tree in 2.7 (I still have a habit of using it on my sorc). I don't see much wrong with a knockback, and I have a mid lvl Commando.
Knockbacks DO NOT exist to blast enemies randomly all over the place.

If you use knockback on CD in a group setting for the damage, and especially if you are consistently knocking mobs out of aoe / melee range, you are a bad player and the type that gets added to my ignore list.

If you use knockbacks to get some breathing room when being overwhelmed or to push a couple of side ranged mobs into a group of melee mobs for aoe or to toss an annoying champ over a ledge to their death, then you are the type I'll probably want to group with again in the future.

And sadly I find myself grouped with many more of the former than the later.

Jeweledleah
04.14.2014 , 01:49 PM | #2619
not as much weird as tiresome.
double xp weekend, somehow get sm Candemimu (I mean I was queued for everything, but KDY seemed to pop pretty much exclusively until then) I'm on my baby operative and I haven't upgraded her gear in 10 levels. but... ok, I can handle it, my main is an operative, I've healed tougher stuff than that.

except. our tank has one of the most extreme cases of tunnel vision I've had displeasure to encounter. I'm sucking wind after every fight, becasue I have to spam heal tank AND the sorc that ends up tanking pretty much everything but the one mob tank is focusing on. but... we're moving, progressing... until the part where you are clearing through droids etc to get to the wookie - specifically that double pull at the top of the stairs. for some incomprehensible to me reason, tank decides not to tank the group once his chosen mob is dead and just runs ahead... leaving the rest of us to deal with pretty much everything else. sorc bless their heart - tries their best and so do i, and maybe if I were in upgraded gear, I could have pulled us through it... but I wasn't. and we die, while sniper just barely finishes off the last mob.
sorc finally has enough and very politely asks tank to please finish tanking mobs before running off and consider giving him guard so that he'd pull less aggro.

indignant tank tells sorc that they don't know anything becasue they are not a tank and they should shut up, unless they want to find another tank. me and sorc try to explain the concept of alts AND how threat tables work. tank zones out. sniper pulls out Kaliyo and we easily kill the wookie while waiting for a new tank.. who shows up in a middle of trash pull, realises that its an almost finished flashpoint... and leaves group becasue he'd rather wait for a debuff to wear off, then get a super easy and fast quest turn in xp >_> this time I pull out my Treek (thanks to obscene amount of presence I have, she's tougher than Sniper's Kaliyo even in unupgraded gear - and easier for me to target for healing) and we finish off the flashpoint with no issues. (because I know how to switch between passive and aggressive modes for the purposes of kiting )

I'm still trying to figure out the logic behind taking a debuff that won't let you even try for another flashpoint for like 15 minutes, vs finishing off a quick 5 minute flashpoint with its 30k xp turn in and then getting another run in less then half the time you are going to spend waiting for the debuff to wear off. (that and if you don't want flashpoints in progress... deselect that option for the love of.)

Khevar
04.14.2014 , 04:17 PM | #2620
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
this time I pull out my Treek (thanks to obscene amount of presence I have, she's tougher than Sniper's Kaliyo even in unupgraded gear
This reminds me of a time wayyyyy back, when a couple of guildies of mine managed to 2-man LR-5. The sent was using Lord Scourge, who (at one point) did the amazing feat of

1. Got an energy coil
2. Ran away from the group
3. Dropped the energy coil
4. Leapt back in

We always wondered if it was some bizzare fluke, or if Scourge was just better than most pugs.