Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

TheSupaCoopa
03.18.2014 , 12:28 PM | #2341
Quote: Originally Posted by Galsarus View Post
This story is during the weekend. Decided to dust off my Jugg Tank for a change of pace and queue for a HMFP. Few mins later I get a pop for HM Corp Labs. Zone in and I see some very nicely geared Folks. A Merc DPS in 69s and 72s with set bonus, a Mara in 72s with set bonus and a healer with 78s set bonus. Me on my Jugger who's in 72s, itemised as best as possible with excess comms (by itemised I mean I got rid of all accuracy/alacrity crap and was packing 19/42/28 mitigation stats).

I say my hello, get in position at the entrance to pull the roving droid. What happens next, blows me away -

Mara : Tank- Da *** with your gear man? too busy runnin weeklies and getitng wellfare gear?
Me: Come Again?
Merc: What's wrong with his gear?
Healer: Nothing, His stats are right - A LOT better than what I expect from tanks in GF queue.
Mara: PFFT!! Yo Healz Baby! Stick with me, screw the tank, he ain gonna last 10s secs with the **** he's got on.

Following that, he charges ahead, pulls the droid. At first I was too stunned and trying to wrap my head around what just happened. Merc and Mara takes down droid and move ahead. I shake myself back to reality and jump after the group of mobs just before the first door. With the mara charging in right after me and typing obscenities in chat. I decide not to pay attention and move on. But Mara had other ideas. Never looked for the keys, charged head first into mobs with merc and healer doing their best to support him all the while telling the Mara to wait for me to pull.

We come to the Water Droid boss, by this time, I had enough. I get the final key, drop down and even before I get a chance to heal, Mara leaps in. By this time, I had enough, I backed myself into the a corner, and just stood there. Merc asks why am I just standing there and not taking aggro from Boss while healer I can see is dropping everything she can to keep the mara alive, thinking I will shrug it off as I have been and jump in. I calmly respond to the Merc - "I am learning how to tank from the Mara, can't learn unless I observe, so I am observing."

Water gets electrified, Mara stays in, gallantly hacking away at the droid. Merc gets pulled, but he HOs outa there. Healer is busy doing all she can to keep mara alive and he survives, thank to the efforts of the healer.

By this time, Merc whispers me- Dude, jump in, we wipe, it ain gonna be good. I reply - Let the wipe come, I'll pay the healer and your repair bill. I want this knob goblin to learn a lesson. Get the nod from merc and tell the healer that if we wipe, I'll pay her repair bill. She sends me a smiley and stops healing the mara. As soon as Healing Stops, Mara drops every he has to keep up - Saber Ward, Cloak of Pain and finally - Undying Rage, but he goes down. I move in, grab aggro and we get going. Mara is in chat shouting and cursing at the healer for not healing him and the merc for not DPSing hard enough and how the whole group is a fail. We ignore and I tell the merc and healer to be ready because we may hit the enrage timer. Merc replies - don worry, we got ya covered. Now healer starts off dpsing - throwing dots on the boss. We beat him down 10 secs after he enrages, take care of the adds and healer puts in chat - it was more fun when the mara was tanking, at least I was healing!

Mara now demands a rez instead gets a vote kick - without the rez. I have yet to figure out what happened there, but I'll never find out - got the Uber Tank Mara on my highly exclusive ignore list.
Duran'del here:

That is hilarious. Almost butter worthy.
The Valiance Legacy, Begeren Colony
"I don't get paid to do the easy jobs, ma'am."- Republic Trooper
Current 50's and 55's

vPLethality AmillarArturon

Irongut
03.18.2014 , 12:40 PM | #2342
Last night I was at loose end and I noticed my Operative healer had never completed the Ilum quest line. She'd got up to the final quest before the FPs but not done it. So I decided to finish the quest and run the HM Ilum FPs. PUGing False Emperor HM at 2am is a bad idea.

I'm outfitted in mostly purple 69s with one or two items with 72s. So ok gear but nowhere near BiS. The group has a level 55 Jug tank and two level 52 ish dps - an Assassin and some kind of Hunter. I knew I was in trouble when the tank guarded me and I noticed I had the most health in the group - more than the tank! I think he had about 25k hp, one of the dps had less than 20k hp. I actually decided not to tell him to guard the dps because I figured with my level and gear I would create more threat than them anyway. I was right, I spent more time healing myself than I did them.

None of them knew the tactics. Or any tactics for that matter. Every time I used an Orbital Bombardment on a group the Assassin or Jug would push them out of the AOE. Every time I sliced an elite droid the tank would break my cc. At one point our Assassin used his sleep dart on a droid, the tank broke it then started hitting another target so I used slice and seconds later the tank switched targets to break it again. I gave up trying to be useful with either AOE or crowd control.

At Tregg they all stood in his slash thing. No big deal but not a good sign.

At Jindo Krey I was concentrating on healing everyone when I realised they were ignoring the console and the missiles. So I ended up stood next to the console trying to click it when necessary while also healing everyone, who of course were standing in the red circles. Somehow we got through it without a wipe but at one point I almost lost the very squishy tank, a fraction of a second slower with a heal and he'd have been dead.

The fight with the prototype droids went ok but then there isn't any trick to it. I was a little concerned about them all standing in the blue aura from the shielded droid, turns out it doesn't do anything but I've always avoided it myself.

By the time we got to HK-47 I was getting frustrated. Normally I don't dps in boss fights and concentrate on my healing but he appeared out of stealth next to me and I let fly with my close range damage abilities. For the rest of that fight I was dropping an occasional Kolto Probe on the tank and a Recuperative Nanotech on myself when it came off cooldown but otherwise I was dps. The fight went much faster.

I continued dpsing in the remaining boss fights. I will admit to almost losing the Hunter during the Sith Entity fight, due to my own screw up. I was too busy killing copies of the entity and only noticed he was taking damage when he had 1 pixel of health left. I just managed to heal him in time to keep him alive and decided to be good and stick to heals for Malgus.

Ah Malgus... On my Jug tank I always keep him on the stairs with my back to the wall so he can't push me off and the rest of the group is behind him. Once he becomes vulnerable I'll take him near the edge. Not this Jug.

We start on the stairs but our tank immediately takes the fight to the middle of the walkway and keeps it there. I get pushed back and almost go off the ledge early on so I'm keeping my distance but trying to not let the group get out of heal range at the same time. I'm the first person to face Malgus alone so I lead him right up the stairs away from the group. My solo phase ends and our tank taunts him back to the walkway.

The Assassin copies me on his solo phase but again the tank taunts Malgus back to the middle of the walkway. Eventually we get Malgus down to < 10% but despite everyone picking up grenades and at least 2 people having some kind of push ability no one is finishing him off. So I went running down the walkway and threw my grenade at him to finish the fight.

What is it with late night PUGs on ToFN?

Next time I'm going to tell them I need to go afk for butter, at least then I'll have a laugh.
◄[|||||||█[☼]█[███████████████████████████████████)

venomlash
03.18.2014 , 01:31 PM | #2343
Quote: Originally Posted by Irongut View Post
Eventually we get Malgus down to < 10% but despite everyone picking up grenades and at least 2 people having some kind of push ability no one is finishing him off. So I went running down the walkway and threw my grenade at him to finish the fight.
Wait, didn't they change it ages ago so you just kill Malgus instead of having to get him with a knockback? Please tell me they put it back the way it used to be!
I mean, I'm known to carebear on some things but taking the mechanics out of the fight (not even one of the harder fights, really) is just stupid.
Quote: Originally Posted by MichelleArcher View Post
Hey there, all! This thread has passed the dreaded 1,000 post limit, and is now in fire. Thanks for the fun, but we feel this discussion as run its course. We will not be restarting this thread.
Jarrant Gartin, Gunnery Commando, Spark of Hope, Begeren Colony

Darkelefantos
03.18.2014 , 02:01 PM | #2344
Quote: Originally Posted by venomlash View Post
Wait, didn't they change it ages ago so you just kill Malgus instead of having to get him with a knockback? Please tell me they put it back the way it used to be!
I mean, I'm known to carebear on some things but taking the mechanics out of the fight (not even one of the harder fights, really) is just stupid.
You can do both, push him to death or kill him with DPS, either way is fine. But since he's invulnerable for a solid part of the encounter when close to his demise, it's probably faster to throw him into the abyss.

BTW, am extremely disappointed that he doesn't have a hilarious death scream if he goes flying

Now, do I have a fun story to contribute? Hm, not really, the only FP I did during 2x XP weekend was Colicoid Wargames. Because I lacked the achievement for completing it, and I had only played it once, like 2 years ago, so I gave it another try. Still not a fan.
I was tanking, had a guy who was new and had never played the FP as a healer, some overleveled DPS who just left after the opening turret sequences for apparently no reason. Or maybe he, in contrast to myself, who only noticed it after the final boss, right then and there realised our 2nd DPS was rolling need on everything. Who knows. So that 2nd DPS was apparently the only guy who played the FP more than once. Needless to say, he didn't show any knowledge of the mechanics whatsoever.
Our other DPS was replaced by the groupfinder pretty quickly, by a guy who said like 3 things throughout the FP: he greeted us, told the other DPS where he got his armor (one of the Galactic Starfighter ones) and later said thanks and goodbye. He was silent, but did well.
Other weird stuff include both the DPS who claimed to know the FP and our healer being knocked to death on the puzzle with the consoles simultaneously, by the FIRST droid, the DPS locking me out from getting access to the final terminal (I had to Jet Charge across the chasm, hoping to not die to knockback and then solo the droid) and said DPS also calmly dying to the fire at the final boss. Total expert with the mechanics, that one . And yeah, then I realised he had been needing on everything, but it was too late already and we all went our ways.

This story is not nearly butter level, but let's face it, what is ?
This place has been an empty wasteland for a long time. No longer.

"In a world without gold, we might've been heroes!"

midianlord
03.18.2014 , 03:12 PM | #2345
Strangely enough, I saw very little derp during the last double-XP Weekend. Sure, there was the odd hairy moment, but nothing crazy, and for the most part, smooth sailing.

Maybe I just got lucky and always PuG'ed into groups of veterans who were speed-levelling heretofore-shelved alts? (PvP was another matter entirely, however :/)

After the double-XP, though....

Yeah: Czerka Core Meltdown normal mode.

A Merc who queued as heals, me and another derps-er, and a tanker, so I figured this was gonna be even easier than normal as we had an actual Trinity-group.

Except that the heal-Merc was actually a damager --unless Insta-Tracer ---> Heatseeker ---> Barrage'ed Unload ---> insta-Tracer ---> RailShot is part of the Bodyguard rotation/priority with this latest patch.

We got through with a few tense moments --it's hard not to faceroll your way through in the CZ-198 normals-- but I admit I was curious about this change to BG Merc that wasn't in the patch notes, so I says at the end of the run, I says:

(My Lightning-Sorc): "I didn't know that Tracer ---> Heatseeker ---> Barrag'ed Unload were part of the heal-Merc's abilities/rotation, did you?"

(Special Merc): "They are now."

(Me): "Don't queue for roles you're not spec'ed for, and are not prepared to play." (He didn't even cast so much as a single self-heal, let alone heal anyone else even once.)

/Me puts special-Merc on ignore.

/Me IRL face-palms whenever people do this, especially queuing a damager as a healer: Such a fundamentally selfish act for what is the opposite of a selfish role is just....man: I wish all these bads would pick an NA West server other than Bergeren Colony
Guys/Gals, could you please start queuing for real Flashpoints again?

r/DPS 4 life

Spoiler

fire-breath
03.18.2014 , 04:04 PM | #2346
Quote: Originally Posted by Irongut View Post
The group has a level 55 Jug tank and two level 52 ish dps - an Assassin and some kind of Hunter. I knew I was in trouble when the tank guarded me and I noticed I had the most health in the group - more than the tank! I think he had about 25k hp, one of the dps had less than 20k hp.
Hmm, alltough 25k HP is a bit low for a lv 55 tank it isn't that bad considering the flashpoint you were in. False Emporer HM is meant to be downed in lv 50 blues and greens. Back in the old days the bosses there used to drop tionese crystals and tionese commendations. I'm not sure anymore if some bosses dropped columi, its to long ago to remember it
Basicly anyone being above a 51 gearrating is overgeared for it.

The rest of the story is quite an example of either new/unwilling/annoying/tired people Can be a pain indeed.
Progression raiding toons on the big RED
Macewindy - Sab Slinger Srh - Shadow Tank
TRE PvP toon
Ishmaldo - Sage healer

fire-breath
03.18.2014 , 04:43 PM | #2347
Quote: Originally Posted by midianlord View Post
Strangely enough, I saw very little derp during the last double-XP Weekend. Sure, there was the odd hairy moment, but nothing crazy, and for the most part, smooth sailing.

Maybe I just got lucky and always PuG'ed into groups of veterans who were speed-levelling heretofore-shelved alts? (PvP was another matter entirely, however :/)

After the double-XP, though....

Yeah: Czerka Core Meltdown normal mode.

A Merc who queued as heals, me and another derps-er, and a tanker, so I figured this was gonna be even easier than normal as we had an actual Trinity-group.

Except that the heal-Merc was actually a damager --unless Insta-Tracer ---> Heatseeker ---> Barrage'ed Unload ---> insta-Tracer ---> RailShot is part of the Bodyguard rotation/priority with this latest patch.

We got through with a few tense moments --it's hard not to faceroll your way through in the CZ-198 normals-- but I admit I was curious about this change to BG Merc that wasn't in the patch notes, so I says at the end of the run, I says:

(My Lightning-Sorc): "I didn't know that Tracer ---> Heatseeker ---> Barrag'ed Unload were part of the heal-Merc's abilities/rotation, did you?"

(Special Merc): "They are now."

(Me): "Don't queue for roles you're not spec'ed for, and are not prepared to play." (He didn't even cast so much as a single self-heal, let alone heal anyone else even once.)

/Me puts special-Merc on ignore.

/Me IRL face-palms whenever people do this, especially queuing a damager as a healer: Such a fundamentally selfish act for what is the opposite of a selfish role is just....man: I wish all these bads would pick an NA West server other than Bergeren Colony
Well..... what i tend to do is click both roles to speedup my queue. I queue for both random hm and czerka lowbe. I can fully understand why the Merc didn't respecced to healer. If it is not needed i wouldn't either. If an hm would pop i respec to whatever is needed. I might miss some extra info like if you guys wiped a lot but in theory it's better to 3 dps it instead of 2 dps. Healing required is very low on bossfights. My sent once tanked it in a 4 dps group and only lost I 25% hp.
Progression raiding toons on the big RED
Macewindy - Sab Slinger Srh - Shadow Tank
TRE PvP toon
Ishmaldo - Sage healer

midianlord
03.18.2014 , 05:14 PM | #2348
If you're ready/willing to re-spec, then fine.

Oh, the other Czerka FP (the easier one of the two) for the [WEEKLY] just now:

One of the people dropped group right at the start without a word...then the other...then the other.

(Another Merc, this one in "time-capsule" Battlemaster PvP gear)

/Sigh....

So, I pulled out my purple 66-geared Ashara --my darling Ashara <3-- and she and my aforementioned Lightning-Sorc went and solo'ed the damned thing with almost no problems. The last phase of the Security Chief fight got a little annoying, but not too hard as long as I kept moving (Force-Speed on cooldown, basically).

I'm not even geared on that character, either:

Comms-vendor 69s mostly, 72 off-pieces and off-hand, still missing a relic, plus a 58-modded mainhand.

Yeah:

Too much of this game is just too easy, and that brings in too many dumb-dumbs. MMOs need to get hard again, IMHO. (The only real exception is EVE-Online --thank God, a game for adults that I'll always have-- but it is still fundamentally a niche-product. Mainstream MMOs need to be a little less mainstream, though.)
Guys/Gals, could you please start queuing for real Flashpoints again?

r/DPS 4 life

Spoiler

Seireeni
03.18.2014 , 06:13 PM | #2349
Quote: Originally Posted by fire-breath View Post
Hmm, alltough 25k HP is a bit low for a lv 55 tank it isn't that bad considering the flashpoint you were in. False Emporer HM is meant to be downed in lv 50 blues and greens. Back in the old days the bosses there used to drop tionese crystals and tionese commendations. I'm not sure anymore if some bosses dropped columi, its to long ago to remember it
Basicly anyone being above a 51 gearrating is overgeared for it.

The rest of the story is quite an example of either new/unwilling/annoying/tired people Can be a pain indeed.
Level 50 hardmodes (minus Lost Island) used to drop mostly tionese, but it was either last boss or the two of the last bosses that dropped columi instead. And full tionese gave a dps maybe 15k hp (not sure about this since I usually pvped, so I usually wore a pvp set). Not sure about tanks, but since recruit gear gave a tank about 18k hp and a mix of war hero and elite war hero (which is what my assassin tank was wearing when 2.0 hit) gave you 21k hp and it was more than enough to tank hm fps, 25k hp should be fine for False Emperor. But people seem to have forgot what's the gear minimum for level 50 stuff. I was once in a EC SM group where the group leader almost denied access from a lowbie dps with around 24k hp for "being undergeared" even though EC SM used to be columi minimum and drop rakata. (I convinced the ops leader not to kick this guy and, surprise surprise, we didn't have any problems.)

Anyway, funny story. Last week, Lost Island hm. Me, lowbie jedi sentinel (level 53 or 54) in rakatan gear with around 22k hp, level 54 operative healer with around 24k hp, level 55 dps (can't remember class) with around 30k hp, and a lowbie guardian tank (can't remember level, something between 50-52 I think), who had never done LI before, with maybe 15k hp - ridiculously undergeared for LI HM.
The funny part? We actually freaking completed the fp with that group. And it wasn't even something that the level 55 dps was so tanky that he could take over the tank's job when he died, the level 54 operative healer somehow managed to keep that tank alive. Sure, it wasn't easy, and combat rez was used at least on your final (and successful) attemt at dr. Lorrick, and me and the other dps actually killed Sav'rak after the healer and the tank had already died. But in the end, I was still having hard time to actually believe we completed Lost Island with an undergeared tank and a lowbie healer. Damn, that operative was amazing.
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Red Eclipse - 22 characters - The Firslay Legacy

Cox_The_Beast
03.18.2014 , 06:20 PM | #2350
Quote: Originally Posted by midianlord View Post
Too much of this game is just too easy, and that brings in too many dumb-dumbs. MMOs need to get hard again, IMHO. (The only real exception is EVE-Online --thank God, a game for adults that I'll always have-- but it is still fundamentally a niche-product. Mainstream MMOs need to be a little less mainstream, though.)
I tend to agree on this. I'm not a hardcore gamer in any possible way, but I struggled a lot more because of bad players, rather than because of the game itself, even though random lag peaks caused me to die enough to recognize it as a problem... Anyway, imo a simple trial and error approach should improve things already, if only slightly.
Seriously, I managed to hear:

"[Advanced Attack Name or Skill]? Never needed it, I just spam [Basic Attack or Skill] and the enemy dies. Eventually."

A LOT more often than I would have considered possible... And I'm not referring to low lvl content only here, but to higher-than-mid-lvl ones... and once to top lvl (read: pug Op, only once luckily for me...).
"Saviour, conqueror, hero, villain. You were all these things, Revan... and yet you are nothing. In the end you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone."
Darth Malak to Revan on the Leviathan.