Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Zephana
03.17.2014 , 04:35 PM | #2331
Double Post

BadOrb
03.17.2014 , 04:46 PM | #2332
Quote: Originally Posted by AdirahBerkovich View Post
I can definitely see DPS pulling taunts if the tank is overwhelmed and the healer's got a nasty one on him/her; that's a scenario my former dps-shadow has been in many times. Tank tunnel visions, maybe aoe taunts once or twice, and, especially in low flashpoints, the healer grabs all the aggro through little fault of his own. A tank-capable class with decent dps gear/dps spec should be able to hold out on a few seconds of taunted attack if they kite it to the main tank and the tank gets the hint.

Taunting for the sake of taunting will get one wiped very quickly if they're not the tank, though.
Yes indeed and thank you. I didn't give examples but you have explained the type of scenarios I was referring to.

What has been a bit weird for me whilst playing my tank is that I didn't realise ( until say about 4 months ago ) that some of my party members might have been taunting as DPS's , which may have been a factor in many a wipe.

Cheers,

BadOrb.
'Ah you think micro transactions are your ally ? The DLC betrays you because it belongs to me , when your home world is monetized , you have my permission to buy'.
"Oh goody. Lord Douchebag McFuzzlebunny can now be related to me if he see's my legacy name and decides he likes it." quote from Selvec 09/06/12

Fidelicatessen
03.17.2014 , 07:56 PM | #2333
I can definitely see DPS pulling taunts if the tank is overwhelmed and the healer's got a nasty one on him/her; that's a scenario my former dps-shadow has been in many times. Tank tunnel visions, maybe aoe taunts once or twice, and, especially in low flashpoints, the healer grabs all the aggro through little fault of his own. A tank-capable class with decent dps gear/dps spec should be able to hold out on a few seconds of taunted attack if they kite it to the main tank and the tank gets the hint.

Taunting for the sake of taunting will get one wiped very quickly if they're not the tank, though.
Healer pulling agro from trash pulls is *usually* the DPS fault--not killing mobs in the proper order.

DPS should be killing mobs in the proper order, not taunting. If you're not a tank, take taunt OFF OF YOUR QUICKBAR, PLZ.

More funny stories, now?

Fidelicatessen
03.17.2014 , 07:58 PM | #2334
Quote: Originally Posted by Zephana View Post
I HATE assassins/shadows or mercs/commandos that do that **** with their AoE knockbacks. And it never fails, a tank will get all the mobs gathered up, group will start to AoE them down, and then some ******* assassin or w/e will knockback all of the mobs out of the AoE like an idiot.

Yes, I get that overload is the about the only AoE damage an assassin has, but seriously. Knocking the mobs out of the MUCH STRONGER AOE of other classes is not worth you getting a measly punch in with your non-AoE class you chose. I wish people who play assassins/shadow would learn that in AoE situations, they are suppose to mainly single target the stronger adds to help kill them quicker, while the other classes that are better suited for AoE finish off everything else.

And then to top it all off, when you ask them to cut it out (even when you ask nicely), they either ignore you or tell you to **** off. Noobs.....all of them....noobs!
^^This! So much this! At least I have RL friends I play with who I've trained--they use their big AoE knockbacks to knock groups of mobs into corners so that everyone can have an AoE-fest.

Icarus-Iso
03.18.2014 , 12:34 AM | #2335
Had two very different Czerka Core Meltdown runs. I was healing both times.

To save time and text the first involved a tank new to the HM, in a mix of 61, 66, and 69 gear. One DPS left after the first wipe on Duneclaw so I asked if the tank had done it before, he hadn't. Explained the fight, grabbed out my lovely DPS!Temple and away we went. One more wipe, then we got it down. Got to the Vrblther, explained the fight, only wiped cause the poor Tank got literally stuck inside a tree, but smooth sailing the second run. Another DPS joined at this point and we downed the final boss no issues.

Second run... not to smooth. Was running with a guildy who knows his DPS. Like, really knows. Like, if he's not guarded he'll be tanking half the damn fight. To make it worse he was on his DPS!Jugg and their threat drop is frustrating at the least. We get a DPS!Assassin (who was brilliant) and a Tank!Jug. Tank's gear is a mix of 61s and 66s but I've healed worse so off we go. After he slaps guard on me my guildy asks for guard. Nothing. I tell the tank to guard my guildy. Nothing. The assassin asks... yep, nothing.

Duneclaw was annoying with my DPS guildy ripping aggro but we got there. However, on Vrblther we wiped. And again. And again. Reason? DPS ripping aggro off the boss again and again and again. That and the tank being tossed around everywhere. We're all asking the Tank to guard the DPS but he's insisting healers need the guard.

He then starts with the "I've been playing this game two years" "you're all wrong" "I have three Jugg Tanks" blah blah blah. Quick achievement checks shows 0 operations completed and his most recent achievements were for Sith Warrior storyline credits. After attempting to explain again he turns to insults so he gets a swift kick. Assassin tank swoops in, guards the DPS, saves the day as we finish with no issues.

I wish it ended there, but oh no. Next are whispers from the kicked Tank!Jugg continuing the argument. When I refuse to accept his stupid, suddenly the blame switches from "DPS using too many powerful attacks" to "well you (I was heals) let me die" and the like *eye roll*. Needless to say the Tank was introduced to my ignore list.

Very few things can break my patient nature but folks who refuse to listen are one of them.
Jack of all Classes | Master of None

Bilirubin
03.18.2014 , 07:54 AM | #2336
Didn't have a weird group, just a BAD group, last night.

Have been leveling my Commando healer through flashpoints, and decided for a quick KDY last night. Queue pops and I see I have a tank (guardian), DPS (Shadow), and another Commando healer (no problem, can switch to dps depending).

Well literally everything that could go wrong did. DPS, in tank stance, only knew double strike and to be the first one to pull. Tank had no stance and taunt? *** is that? Other healer went primarily DPS and would off heal so that was fine. Did anyone heal between fights? Heh. Target fixation on golds/elites? Did folks pull entire rooms, or different rooms at the same time? You bet. I was ripping aggro like I had a mass taunt with a single hammershot heal.

After one excruciating fight where the guardian pulled an enclosed room with a bunch of mobs and a gold and the shadow pulled an elite AT THE SAME TIME, where the only way we survived is that the tank went down and his mobs were so far away they didn't transfer threat to us while the rest of us sequentially died, released, and ran back to finish the elite, the tank got pissed because I could not res him (oh yeah, did I mention him not releasing and running back despite being the first to die?). "Why not?" he asks, "Because I will aggro the gold, and the rest of the group have run off to another room where they are engaged in combat" So as soon as he releases he goes back to that same gold. Two rooms away from the rest of the group.

Got the robot boss and after a wipe I spam "kill adds. kill adds. Adds die first. Forget the boss. Kill adds. Oh and dont stand in anything red" and get called either "bossy" or get the inevitable "u mad" from the Shadow (who I got to at least changed to force technique by this point. Somehow we get the boss down, but it took approx 15 minutes. I was seriously worried about an enrage.

Only really noteworthy group so far. I've had the odd bad player but these fps can be cleared with a three person group if players know what they are doing. Its helping me learn how to heal through "oh sh*t" moments. But I wonder how some folks can hit 30-40 knowing so little about class mechanics.
Cyannin Level 55 Shadow | Rubinin Level 50 Gunslinger | Mikuri Level 55 Sentinel | Vertatin Level 47 Commando | PURgE
Scartina Level 17 Marauder
The Bastion

Cox_The_Beast
03.18.2014 , 08:11 AM | #2337
Quote: Originally Posted by Icarus-Iso View Post
Second run... not to smooth. Was running with a guildy who knows his DPS. Like, really knows. Like, if he's not guarded he'll be tanking half the damn fight. To make it worse he was on his DPS!Jugg and their threat drop is frustrating at the least. We get a DPS!Assassin (who was brilliant) and a Tank!Jug. Tank's gear is a mix of 61s and 66s but I've healed worse so off we go. After he slaps guard on me my guildy asks for guard. Nothing. I tell the tank to guard my guildy. Nothing. The assassin asks... yep, nothing.

Duneclaw was annoying with my DPS guildy ripping aggro but we got there. However, on Vrblther we wiped. And again. And again. Reason? DPS ripping aggro off the boss again and again and again. That and the tank being tossed around everywhere. We're all asking the Tank to guard the DPS but he's insisting healers need the guard.

He then starts with the "I've been playing this game two years" "you're all wrong" "I have three Jugg Tanks" blah blah blah. Quick achievement checks shows 0 operations completed and his most recent achievements were for Sith Warrior storyline credits. After attempting to explain again he turns to insults so he gets a swift kick. Assassin tank swoops in, guards the DPS, saves the day as we finish with no issues.

I wish it ended there, but oh no. Next are whispers from the kicked Tank!Jugg continuing the argument. When I refuse to accept his stupid, suddenly the blame switches from "DPS using too many powerful attacks" to "well you (I was heals) let me die" and the like *eye roll*. Needless to say the Tank was introduced to my ignore list.

Very few things can break my patient nature but folks who refuse to listen are one of them.
Saw thst myself kinda often... but usually a simple trial and error should fix it. That wasn't the case obviously, and I agree with you on kick + ignore. I just wonder if he was aware ppl can verify his boasting with just a right-click + inspect achievements... Probably not.
Tbh, I myself guard healer from start in FP, especially if I don't know ppl. However, once I keep an eye on things for the first 2-3 mobs I switch guard to whoever rips agro off me. I even swap guard if I see both dps do sometimes... But that's very situational, so not standard.

Oh, and about the final question on this post...

Quote: Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
Didn't have a weird group, just a BAD group, last night.

[...]

Only really noteworthy group so far. I've had the odd bad player but these fps can be cleared with a three person group if players know what they are doing. Its helping me learn how to heal through "oh sh*t" moments. But I wonder how some folks can hit 30-40 knowing so little about class mechanics.
I guess asking ppl for help. Last few weeks I saw so many ppl asking for help on CLASS missions that I kinda wonder how can they manage to play without wondering if they're doing something wrong... when the mission they should solo is unwinnable for them.
"Saviour, conqueror, hero, villain. You were all these things, Revan... and yet you are nothing. In the end you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone."
Darth Malak to Revan on the Leviathan.

Galsarus
03.18.2014 , 08:34 AM | #2338
This story is during the weekend. Decided to dust off my Jugg Tank for a change of pace and queue for a HMFP. Few mins later I get a pop for HM Corp Labs. Zone in and I see some very nicely geared Folks. A Merc DPS in 69s and 72s with set bonus, a Mara in 72s with set bonus and a healer with 78s set bonus. Me on my Jugger who's in 72s, itemised as best as possible with excess comms (by itemised I mean I got rid of all accuracy/alacrity crap and was packing 19/42/28 mitigation stats).

I say my hello, get in position at the entrance to pull the roving droid. What happens next, blows me away -

Mara : Tank- Da *** with your gear man? too busy runnin weeklies and getitng wellfare gear?
Me: Come Again?
Merc: What's wrong with his gear?
Healer: Nothing, His stats are right - A LOT better than what I expect from tanks in GF queue.
Mara: PFFT!! Yo Healz Baby! Stick with me, screw the tank, he ain gonna last 10s secs with the **** he's got on.

Following that, he charges ahead, pulls the droid. At first I was too stunned and trying to wrap my head around what just happened. Merc and Mara takes down droid and move ahead. I shake myself back to reality and jump after the group of mobs just before the first door. With the mara charging in right after me and typing obscenities in chat. I decide not to pay attention and move on. But Mara had other ideas. Never looked for the keys, charged head first into mobs with merc and healer doing their best to support him all the while telling the Mara to wait for me to pull.

We come to the Water Droid boss, by this time, I had enough. I get the final key, drop down and even before I get a chance to heal, Mara leaps in. By this time, I had enough, I backed myself into the a corner, and just stood there. Merc asks why am I just standing there and not taking aggro from Boss while healer I can see is dropping everything she can to keep the mara alive, thinking I will shrug it off as I have been and jump in. I calmly respond to the Merc - "I am learning how to tank from the Mara, can't learn unless I observe, so I am observing."

Water gets electrified, Mara stays in, gallantly hacking away at the droid. Merc gets pulled, but he HOs outa there. Healer is busy doing all she can to keep mara alive and he survives, thank to the efforts of the healer.

By this time, Merc whispers me- Dude, jump in, we wipe, it ain gonna be good. I reply - Let the wipe come, I'll pay the healer and your repair bill. I want this knob goblin to learn a lesson. Get the nod from merc and tell the healer that if we wipe, I'll pay her repair bill. She sends me a smiley and stops healing the mara. As soon as Healing Stops, Mara drops every he has to keep up - Saber Ward, Cloak of Pain and finally - Undying Rage, but he goes down. I move in, grab aggro and we get going. Mara is in chat shouting and cursing at the healer for not healing him and the merc for not DPSing hard enough and how the whole group is a fail. We ignore and I tell the merc and healer to be ready because we may hit the enrage timer. Merc replies - don worry, we got ya covered. Now healer starts off dpsing - throwing dots on the boss. We beat him down 10 secs after he enrages, take care of the adds and healer puts in chat - it was more fun when the mara was tanking, at least I was healing!

Mara now demands a rez instead gets a vote kick - without the rez. I have yet to figure out what happened there, but I'll never find out - got the Uber Tank Mara on my highly exclusive ignore list.

Halinalle
03.18.2014 , 09:01 AM | #2339
Quote: Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
Got the robot boss and after a wipe I spam "kill adds. kill adds. Adds die first. Forget the boss. Kill adds. Oh and dont stand in anything red" and get called either "bossy" or get the inevitable "u mad" from the Shadow (who I got to at least changed to force technique by this point. Somehow we get the boss down, but it took approx 15 minutes. I was seriously worried about an enrage.
First of all it's not hardmode so there's no enrage timer.
And that sounds pretty much the group I was in a long time ago. It was droid boss back then too. I actually already told this but yeah, I got votekicked because I tried to tell everyone how to defeat the boss and more importantly how not to die in that fight. We died many times and I was ready to leave so getting kicked out wasn't a big problem.
The Progenitor, Legacy Level 50; The Red Eclipse, Legacy Level ??
Tanks: Juggernaut (P), 3x Assassin (2xP, RE)
Tanks: 2x Shadow (P), Vanguard (P), Guardian (P)

FrozenGoalie
03.18.2014 , 12:17 PM | #2340
Quote: Originally Posted by BadOrb View Post
Well the way that DPS was using his/her taunt was wrong but your BF is equally wrong in thinking he/she shouldn't even have taunt on his skill bar. In certain situations a taunt might be needed , all be it very briefly , if the tank struggles and/or the healer is struggling for a brief moment. Otherwise yeah DPS shouldn't taunt the way he /she was doing.
Sure, there are times when you might need it and having it on your bars is fine, but what he was saying was that they shouldn't have had it in a place where they could accidentally hit the button during group play. Especially as often as they were, which clearly was not on accident Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Yeah, taunting can be okay sometimes, but this guy was taunting just because; there was no reason or need for it. The fact that he didn't stop and the attitude when he was asked not to taunt was what annoyed me most, though.