Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Eternalnight
05.17.2013 , 08:29 AM | #161
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post
eh? I don't remember noxxic ever telling tanks to use threat dropping ability on cd :/
Then you haven't ever looked there.

Noxxic has always recommended for tanks to use their threat reducing abilities and still does it

http://www.noxxic.com/swtor/pve/sith...-and-cooldowns

Go to any PvE guide for any tank spec in noxxic and you will find this text: "Survivability cooldowns are used to keep you alive, reduce aggro, and provide relief to healers."

And it is not just them using the same introductory text for tanks and dps, (which would be stupid too) but all of the tank "guides" there actually list threat reduction abilities like Enraged Defense in their list of abilities tanks should use.

(sure I can think of some rare situations where an off-tank might use threat drop in an operation where you have 2 tanks, but these are rare and exceptional situations, and the person using it is not tanking anything at the moment, but since Noxxic does not explain or specify in any way how and when to use these abilities, the default assumption is that they suggest them to be used as often as possible, even when you are tanking)

Saddest part is, I'm not even sure if this is the worst and stupidest bad advice given by Noxxic, since there are so many.

Jeweledleah
05.17.2013 , 08:51 AM | #162
oh... it was just so far down the list, I didn't even see it as "must use" more like list of every CD juggs have - figured threat drop and tanking don't really go together :/ I have been using noxxic as general class and spec guide, so far fairly successfully, but if you have any better suggestions for where to get class information (for all classes basically, since I have one of each) I'd love to hear it

Kawabonga
05.17.2013 , 08:58 AM | #163
oh... it was just so far down the list, I didn't even see it as "must use" more like list of every CD juggs have - figured threat drop and tanking don't really go together :/ I have been using noxxic as general class and spec guide, so far fairly successfully, but if you have any better suggestions for where to get class information (for all classes basically, since I have one of each) I'd love to hear it
Yourself

Take the time to read the tooltips and let those brain cells exercise a bit

Jeweledleah
05.17.2013 , 09:15 AM | #164
Quote: Originally Posted by Kawabonga View Post
Yourself

Take the time to read the tooltips and let those brain cells exercise a bit
I'm sorry, I don't have enough of the brain cells to figure out all 8 advanced classes with equal skill, while still having time left over to actually play and enjoy the game without becoming another one of the weird people you meet in flashpoints and never want to see again AND maintain other hobbies, not to mention a job.

some of us are not gaming savants. I can figure out how not to be completely awful, but some guidance is helpful to be better than "not awful" for quite a few of us. this is why all those guides exist in a first place. because no single person can be great at everything and there's most certain NO need to keep reinventing the wheel out of some misguided sense of... I don't even know what.

ZeroPlus
05.17.2013 , 09:28 AM | #165
I'm sorry, I don't have enough of the brain cells to figure out all 8 advanced classes with equal skill, while still having time left over to actually play and enjoy the game without becoming another one of the weird people you meet in flashpoints and never want to see again AND maintain other hobbies, not to mention a job.

some of us are not gaming savants. I can figure out how not to be completely awful, but some guidance is helpful to be better than "not awful" for quite a few of us. this is why all those guides exist in a first place. because no single person can be great at everything and there's most certain NO need to keep reinventing the wheel out of some misguided sense of... I don't even know what.
Relax Jeweledleah.

Basically, when reading a guide (any guide!) you should always take what it says with "a grain of salt". Read what the guide says, use it as a "guide" but take the time to think about what it says.

For example, it a tank guide recommends using an aggro dump abilitly, ask yourself why it would recommend that. If you can't figure out why, then try it out and see what happens. When you realize that it makes you loose control of the fight you have 2 choices:
a) stop using it and realize the guide was wrong on that point or
b) keep using it because the guide said you should and blame others because they don't know what they are doing.

If you chose (a): congratulations! you just showed that you can think for yourself (and you didn't have to give up your family/job/life to do it) and in the process you have improved your enjoyment of the game and that of others too.

If you chose (b)... well, if you chose (b) then I guess this thread is about you and others like you.
If you seek answers, you must always ask questions. - Master Vandar Tokare.

[Suggestion] Add another Blaster Pistol with the "A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler" model = DONE!

Kawabonga
05.17.2013 , 09:47 AM | #166

reading the tooltips takes a lot less time than reading a well made guide :/ that and anyway, skill comes with exercise not with reading a guide, i'm sure you know that since you play all ACs

Also i just realized my comment came out pretty harsh... i meant absolutely no offense, i was just saying that in the end you will have to toy around with your toon anyway to become effective, a guide can't prepare you for every situation you encounter

SlimsPicken
05.17.2013 , 10:14 AM | #167
I love how 90% of the stories about bads are Marauders.
For every man there is a sentence, a string of words, which has the power to destroy him.

WooliestWorm
05.17.2013 , 10:32 AM | #168
Quote: Originally Posted by SW_display_name View Post
I tend to jump around like crazy when I'm bored on my Operative healer, because most of my healing is instant unless someone is really getting hammered and needs the big stuff. Usually I try to make complete circles around the tank.
Ah, tank circling is pre-fight only for me, don't have much choice but to circle the mob in the fight, 4m range etc

abokado
05.17.2013 , 01:01 PM | #169
Quote: Originally Posted by SW_display_name View Post
Ah, just remembered one of my favorites:

I tanked a run of SM Boarding Party about a month ago on my Powertech. There was another Powertech in the group, queued as Damage. Pyrotech spec.

I noticed I was having an impossible time holding aggro no matter what I did, this PT DPS would rip it off within seconds. I've never had trouble holding aggro before, ever! What's going on?? I checked my Cylinder... nope, Ion Gas, I didn't mess up.

So I noticed Combustible Gas on the targets maybe PT Pyro DPS was made overpowered in 2.0? Maybe Combustible Gas is bugged and doing insane damage or something?

I started paying more attention to this PT Pyro DPS, trying to figure out what was going on. I noticed she never entered melee range, never even 10 meter range. The entire run, she literally did not fire a single Flame Burst or Rocket Punch. Instead, she stood at 30 meters and fired Unload on cooldown and filled with Rapid Shots and Missile Blasts.

That should be pretty bad DPS output, right? So why is she ripping threat off me?

I noticed she kept irritatingly Grappling all my targets over to her. At first I thought she was just being a lazy DPS, getting them into range for her close-range attacks. But then I checked the log and realized her Rocket Punch / Flame Burst total was exactly zero. Why was she Grappling stuff off me if she wasn't even using close-range attacks??

What I eventually realized was that she was standing at 30 meters and literally just pressing every single button that lit up.

Meaning, her Powertech Pyro "rotation" consisted of:
  • Unload on cooldown
  • Explosive Dart on cooldown (breaking CC constantly)
  • Flame Thrower on cooldown (despite not hitting anything with it, and cancelling the channel immediately)
  • Energy Shield on cooldown (despite not being attacked)
  • Kolto Overload on cooldown (despite not being attacked)
  • Hydraulic Overrides on cooldown (for no reason, because it lit up)
  • Chaff Flare on cooldown (even when not aggro'd, because it lit up)
  • Grapple on cooldown
  • Neural Dart (taunt) on cooldown
  • AoE taunt on cooldown
  • Missile Blast until she overheated

It was... indescribable to watch. It remains one of the most absolutely bizarre things I have ever seen in Group Finder.
That's.. that's actually not so weird. I did it myself when I started playing because I was too lazy to read the tooltips and just hitting every button that lightened up worked.. kinda. Well, not long enough, sure, so I had to read them at some point, but still. I still do the same with my twinks. At the beginning you don't even have that many abilities. Though you'd think after a few wipes you notice why a certain ability (taunt) does no damage whatsover to the target. Funny times.

Quote: Originally Posted by Penguinaga View Post
While playing a Vig Guardian in SM Cademimu, I once had a tank tell me to switch from Shien to Shii-Cho. I asked him why, and he said "because you're doing too much damage". He was dead serious. I wasn't even pulling aggro, at least not more than once. Thankfully, he didn't press the issue when I politely refused.

Also had a healer once in SM Hammer Station who responded to all questions/comments with nothing but "beep" or "boop". I guess he was really getting into being a "healbot" or something...?
A lot of people annoy me by saying I should turn a stance on. It takes them a while until they discover shien isn't actually the sprint.

Quote: Originally Posted by SlimsPicken View Post
I love how 90% of the stories about bads are Marauders.
Because they are so many of them and a few bad examples leaves you with the impression that all of them are bad.
My main is a dps, but jesus, most of them are really, really bad. In 98% of the time I was the only dps that knew what the kill order was. This is the thing that annoys the most. All the other dds seem incredibly stupid. I am so annoyed that I am always the one who has to walk to every single weak add to kill them, because the other dd thinks it's much nicer to hit the champion instead. Bah. I hate that especially if it's a ranged dd. Sure, as a jugg I have charge. But it has a cooldown. I can jump once and then I have to run. And there is nothing more annoying than running roughly 500 miles in a flashpoint to every single stupid add because the ranged dd is too good to bother with adds.

Mallorik
05.17.2013 , 01:25 PM | #170
Just had a really funny experience in a random gf, i was running my slinger for the weekly and got a Vg tank and shadow dps from guilds ive never heard of and a sage healer from a competent guild and drew athiss.

The Vg tank is in gear with some defense stats scattered through it but more surge and crit than anything else and he is starting all fights from range, spamming his no cost filler shot (forget the name) then back pedaling all over the place trying to run away from the mobs, after awhile the shadow starts initiating the fights but stays in dps gear , stance and spec, some how we kill the first boss. After a few more trash pulls I am positive the VG thinks hes a ranged tank, so I tell him Vgs are not ranged, get in the middle of those mobs and make them hit you, its seems to work a little, but not for long.

We eventually make it to the second boss in athiss and I give the tank some advice, tank in front of the door and when he throws you run back to it, try to pick up the adds when they spawn. We start the fight, tank is back pedaling in a big circle around the area trying like hell to stay at range, shadow who im guessing doesn't speak English is screaming Full boss! Full boss! we all die and the healer leaves. It all would have usually pissed me off but for some reason it just made me laugh.