Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Sorei
12.30.2013 , 06:02 AM | #1611
I just had a Kaon HM Pug run with an Assassin tank who used PVP DPS gear and a focus. The only thing he did right was being in tank stance. While he did try to tank all the enemies he never used skills like Discharge or Wither...which he apparently didn't have anyway since he was clearly DPS specced. We wiped two times at the bonus boss and one time at the final boss. The rest of the team wasn't geared very well either.

InstaneCrafter
12.30.2013 , 10:00 PM | #1612
I really enjoy reading this thread. After thinking to myself, I've decided to post some of my experiences.

Before 2.4, (during 2.3, I think), I queued for a FP and got False Emperor. Normally when I pug for FPs, there's little talking outside of boss and trash mob tactics. In this group, one person tried to pretend to act like a ninja looter. He or she said something about 'ninjaing' the loot. They 'failed.' I believe he or she tried to lighten up the mood.
Another FE experience (maybe the same one?), I remember using an invisible blaster in the final cut scene as my Sith Assassin. I pointed it out and it was somewhat surprising.

Fast-forward to 2.4, I queued up for more FPs on my lvl 55 Sith Assassin tank. I got a HM FP (I don't remember the exact one). I had a lvl 55 sniper and 2 other guys (I can't remember their ACs) in the same group. When we completed the FP, we (the group) decided to queue for another FP instead of separating. We got FE HM and completed it. We enjoyed each other's company and friended each other.
A couple days later, I got placed in a Directive 7 HM with 2 of the same guys with a merc that I never met before. I was like deja vu for a little bit.
I never had that much fun in pugs. I'll look forward to pugging with those fun players again the next time I'm on the Ebon Hawk.
LOL!!! Wait... What? You were being serious?!

TheSupaCoopa
12.30.2013 , 10:07 PM | #1613
Quote: Originally Posted by InstaneCrafter View Post
I really enjoy reading this thread. After thinking to myself, I've decided to post some of my experiences.

Before 2.4, (during 2.3, I think), I queued for a FP and got False Emperor. Normally when I pug for FPs, there's little talking outside of boss and trash mob tactics. In this group, one person tried to pretend to act like a ninja looter. He or she said something about 'ninjaing' the loot. They 'failed.' I believe he or she tried to lighten up the mood.
Another FE experience (maybe the same one?), I remember using an invisible blaster in the final cut scene as my Sith Assassin. I pointed it out and it was somewhat surprising.

Fast-forward to 2.4, I queued up for more FPs on my lvl 55 Sith Assassin tank. I got a HM FP (I don't remember the exact one). I had a lvl 55 sniper and 2 other guys (I can't remember their ACs) in the same group. When we completed the FP, we (the group) decided to queue for another FP instead of separating. We got FE HM and completed it. We enjoyed each other's company and friended each other.
A couple days later, I got placed in a Directive 7 HM with 2 of the same guys with a merc that I never met before. I was like deja vu for a little bit.
I never had that much fun in pugs. I'll look forward to pugging with those fun players again the next time I'm on the Ebon Hawk.
Do not underestimate the Finger Gun.

That would be an awesome blaster on the CM, along with an Arm cannon.
The Valiance Legacy, Begeren Colony
"I don't get paid to do the easy jobs, ma'am."- Republic Trooper
Current 50's and 55's

vPLethality AmillarArturon

InstaneCrafter
12.30.2013 , 11:24 PM | #1614
Quote: Originally Posted by TheSupaCoopa View Post

I wonder what stats it would have?
LOL!!! Wait... What? You were being serious?!

Prototypemind
12.31.2013 , 01:19 AM | #1615
So, my first run on my new Jedi Shadow trying out the Esseles. I queued and got matched to a group already in progress. I zone in and they haven't even done the initial conversation. As I'm coming up there's a vote put up to kick me. Chat is scribbling along with one of the group members worried because there were apparently two healers in the group, prior to the kick that got me in I'm assuming. The one who voted to kick me is rambling about me queuing in as a tank but being in DPS stance. Go figure he'd have enough sense to check that but not get that the initial FP for both sides has been set for any type of group composition and that Shadows are set to both by default, similar to other dual specs. I explain this and am about to drop just because I want to avoid any nonsense, but I stick around.

So, about two minutes further in the one who initiated the kick quits out of nowhere. Nothing said, just leaves. Someone requeues us and we get a new member. There's some silliness in chat, but nothing crazy. We're almost through and right before the conversation that leads to heading back to the Esseles that newest member quits. Regardless, we finish and that's that.

A very strange introduction to what has to be the most boring, droll Flash Point in the entire game.

Tailsfortales
12.31.2013 , 04:31 AM | #1616
Quote: Originally Posted by TheSupaCoopa View Post

Is it wrong of me to imagine the Finger Gun from Dead Space 3? BANG!
''In e-spess no one can hear you e-scream unless it's done with proper e-hyperbole and e-hysteria."

Seireeni
12.31.2013 , 06:12 PM | #1617
Long story short. SM foundry, me (dps merc), guildie (heal merc), got assassin tank and another dps merc. Assassin tank doesn't taunt, doesn't seem to use discharge, doesn't guard, not sure if he used shock even though he got procs for it, doesn't use dark ward. Pug merc pulls before the tank, steals aggro from the tank (he was 6 levels above the tank and greatly geared, while the tank was...not), tries to cc when we only have 1 target we're all attacking, tries to cc HK-47, breaks cc when I'm ccing HKs adds and complains that my guildie is such a terrible healer that he must be in a dps spec (he's not the best healer, I admit it, but we never actually wiped, I have without any problems done heroic 4 quests with only the two of us, and he is heal specced.).

I was happy and surprised when we actually completed the fp.
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Red Eclipse - 22 characters - The Firslay Legacy

Mirdthestrill
12.31.2013 , 10:31 PM | #1618
I've had some really great experiences with group finder, but I think tonight I might have proved Murphy's law.

A guildie and I decided to do story mode Hammer Station with his mara and my sin tanking. Took a while to find a healer, but we finally did and were off.
On the first pull, the other dps, another mara, pulls without even waiting for me to get there. I politely ask him to let me pull, since I'm the tank. He responds by cussing me out and telling me that it's my fault I can't hold aggro, and that the healer is getting attacked. This makes me mad, but I think "Sticks and stones" and decide to give him another chance.
When he does it again, I warn him that if he does it again, I'll kick him. He starts swearing at me again, this time choosing to blame me for "taking a break before each pull". I guess this was his way of describing the fact that I took a second to make sure everyone was at full health and resource before I started a fight, as well as to survey the pack ahead and make sure I knew what I was getting into.
After that warning, he quieted down a bit and stopped pulling in front of me. For a while. When he started it again, I initiated the vote kick on the basis of "rude and won't let me do my job". It passed, and he left in a storm of curses. After he did, my guildie and the healer both thanked me for kicking him. We got a new dps, a sin this time, in under a minute. This guy also started pulling ahead of me, but stopped after I asked him not to. Somewhere during this time, my internet also decided to randomly disappear, but my guildie knew that this happens to me sometimes and kept them from kicking me till I got back on (it took less than 5 min)
We got to Vorgan, but before we could start, the healer DCs. We wait close to 10 minutes for him, then decide to kick him and get a new healer. While we're waiting, both the dps go for a smoke break. We get a new healer (operative), both the dps return in a timely fashion, and we're off. Everything goes without a hitch until we hit the final boss.
We can't beat him. I know the blame lies at least partly on my shoulders, I'm not doing the greatest tanking job of my career, but it couldn't have been all me. Still not sure what the problem was, though. After the third wipe, the sin dps leaves, and since the gf replacement is still on lockout from getting the healer, my guildie decides to hop on his lvl 49 BH and get us through. When he does that, however, it is discovered that we can't invite people to a group finder group. The problem is finally solved by having both the healer and myself exit area, disbanding the group, and reforming it. Boosted by my guildmate, the final boss goes off without a hitch (though I didn't get any loot from the flashpont, except some non-moddable gloves), and when I left to go eat dinner, the healer that they could swithch to their main so that the guildie's mara could finish the fp too.

Anyway, that whole trip made me appreciate loyal guildmates and patient healers. Though what really sucks is that I forgot to put the first dps on ignore before I logged out. It still boggles my mind how people think they can get away with that sort of thing. At least I could add the healer to my friends list, and the guildie and I will have some funny stories to tell.
I <3 alts!

grrrly
01.01.2014 , 12:33 AM | #1619
OK, this one is a 16 man ops run, no group finder but definitely weird people. My guild was preparing to do an 8 man SM Dread Fortress shortly after it came out. We were down a tank so were happy to accept an offer from another guild to join them and make it a 16 man run. We join their Teamspeak and find that they are a very social lot, there is much chatter from the guild members including a few who weren't in the ops with us, and a seeming lack of interest in actually getting the op started. Their ops leader sounds a bit drunk, and has much to share with us about his personal life. With a lot of prompting he starts the op and we get through Nefra OK.

By the time we get to Commander Draxus, the ops leader is really slurring his words and has become very loud, and is keen to share with us again his personal life story. We have tremendous difficulty with Draxus, there are people running all over the place, people aren't interupting or cleansing, and we wipe several times. Between each wipe, the increasingly drunk ops leader regales us with more of the same stories, and seems to have forgotten we are in an op. The more sober and experienced members of the ops group are pointing out why we are wiping, and offering strategies to avoid it, but no no, we are told that the reason we are wiping is because the ops leader has not brought his uber DPS toon into the group! Off he goes to save the day, switching to this epic toon, travelling to Oricon, then riding across the planet through hostile mobs because he hadn't unlocked the speeder..... He eventually arrives, but is distracted from the fact that there are many impatient people wanting to get on with op by the arrival in Teamspeak of a long lost guildie. This guildie decides he really needs to have a deep and meaningful with the ops leader, and doesn't seem too fussed by the other people in voice listening in as he shares intimate details about his personal health problems.

At that point, we left. I am not sure why we stayed as long as we did.

NuRhoPhi
01.01.2014 , 06:00 AM | #1620
Quote: Originally Posted by Sorei View Post
I just had a Kaon HM Pug run with an Assassin tank who used PVP DPS gear and a focus. The only thing he did right was being in tank stance. While he did try to tank all the enemies he never used skills like Discharge or Wither...which he apparently didn't have anyway since he was clearly DPS specced. We wiped two times at the bonus boss and one time at the final boss. The rest of the team wasn't geared very well either.
Pfah, HM flashpoint..
during gree event, on my marauder I joined Xeno SM and HM in pvp gear (only gear he has )
Thanks to augments he's at 30k health,
only thing I do is swap one set of trousers, and an implant for some accuracy.
The trousers and implant I actually got from the operation.

With stim, I still think I'm pulling my weight, since I'm often kiting the targeted mob (which means I pulled threat.. derp tank), or, as melee dps, clicking the buttons etc, with a ranged dps standing right in front of them.

Just before we started a HM someone else noticed one merc has 15k health. That was his best gear. Auwch.
Maybe if the group was overgeared, but with tanks with only 33k health, dps sub 30k etc.. er no.

I did have one derp moment of my own though: I'm used to Xeno looking green and friendly, I derp tossing snowballs around etc, running around like an idiot. (gotta pas time) Then I notice I can actually dual saber throw. Me thinking I've spotted a bug, I immediately throw. I didn't realize someone had already clicked the panel of course. However, some people were still AFK. It was HM. Being ever the alert one, I of course immediatly activated stealth, as chaos ensued.
Woops.

So, just to not confuse your local aggro-seekers, thank you for not activating the boss before the /rc

Leveling a vigilance guardian, doing the maestrom prison fp: tank is guardian too.
On one of the bossfights with a pet, I deliberately dont use saber throw/ sundering strike on the boss.
At the end of the fight, boss is still not 'armor-reduced'. (tank stayed on boss entire time. Moreover, at this level force sweep as tank should inflict 20% armor penalty)
In addition, tank mostly tunnels etc, got himself killed earlier on the laser-eye dude (no biggie, swap to soresu, fight takes a bit longer).
Anyway, after noticing the lack of armor pen, I type it into chat. I ask what his typical rotation is, that in soresu hilt strike does more threat and ask if he is using his taunts. (was stealing aggro from only mob he was hitting after other mobs were dead.. )
Reply: I simply use whatever is available.
I cringe a bit inwardly.
How do you get to level 37 without realizing sundering strike is far better than simply strike..

Healer was decent though, as long as I kept mobs of him.
Final bos, I say gotta LoS and move up.
Question back: which is it? LoS or move up?
I reply both .
Of course guardian tank slowly slogs through the center, and again after Kilran repositions.
Guardian tank dies, we beat boss, oh well.