Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Feneckus
12.27.2013 , 07:08 AM | #1601
Quote: Originally Posted by Cannonas View Post
I believe in this cause, as tank your main goal is to protect the healer and a DPS would never take aggro off a tank if they would attack the same target as him (which is their responsibility).
Protecting the healer is more up to the DPS really ...

I don't think there's anything more pointless than guarding the healer. Most of the time when a healer gets aggro it's because some mobs are unnacounted for and he's only one having threat on those mobs. Lowering that threat won't do a single thing since he'll still have more threat than the others.

If the DPS make sure to target weak mobs first and to kill them quickly, then you have one happy healer. There's only so much a tank can do. If the number of enemies don't go down fast, he won't be able to keep stuff off the healer.

A DPS unleashing everything he has on a boss/champion and stealing aggro from the tank is much more problematic.

Nothing says "I'm a scrub" quite like putting guard on the healer.

steave
12.27.2013 , 08:50 AM | #1602
Quote: Originally Posted by Feneckus View Post
Protecting the healer is more up to the DPS really ...

I don't think there's anything more pointless than guarding the healer. Most of the time when a healer gets aggro it's because some mobs are unnacounted for and he's only one having threat on those mobs. Lowering that threat won't do a single thing since he'll still have more threat than the others.

If the DPS make sure to target weak mobs first and to kill them quickly, then you have one happy healer. There's only so much a tank can do. If the number of enemies don't go down fast, he won't be able to keep stuff off the healer.

A DPS unleashing everything he has on a boss/champion and stealing aggro from the tank is much more problematic.

Nothing says "I'm a scrub" quite like putting guard on the healer.
While I agree with you, this debate will never end and any content hard enough for it to really matter will also need tanks that are experienced enough to already know it, so let's leave that for a different thread.

Quote: Originally Posted by Cannonas View Post
I believe in this cause, as tank your main goal is to protect the healer and a DPS would never take aggro off a tank if they would attack the same target as him (which is their responsibility). As long as I (tank) and the healer doesn't die, we'll be fine so :P
This needs addressing though since it often is a problem, DPS are supposed to kill from weakest to strongest to reduce DPS ASAP and keep them off the healer, while the tank goes from strongest to weakest making sure the golds are on him first before picking up any strong/normal/weak the DPS missed. Those weak mobs won't do any significant damage to the DPS killing them in the few seconds they take to die, and this way they're all kept off the healer and the tank can get more of it on him since he only needs 1-2 attacks or an aoe on each rather than having to compete with the DPS for aggro on a single gold while the rest goes unagressed and thus target the healer.

TheSupaCoopa
12.27.2013 , 12:35 PM | #1603
Duran'del here:

Last year, in a PUG Xeno run, I got a well-geared Merc with... no mods on her pistols.

Nothing on them. Just a +7 tech power crystal. It was wierd.
The Valiance Legacy, Begeren Colony
"I don't get paid to do the easy jobs, ma'am."- Republic Trooper
Current 50's and 55's

vPLethality AmillarArturon

masterparvel
12.27.2013 , 02:41 PM | #1604
Level 41 Jedi Shadow tank decided to do Colicoid war games.

After waiting for 30 minutes for PUG i finally get matched with a sage healer trooper DPS and a Sentinel.

I inspect everyones gear and the trooper has several pieces with strength and endurance. I ask hm why and he replies "What do you mean?" I tell him troopers use aim not strength then he is quiet. We continue with the flashpoint and get to the turret part where the sentinel dies quickly but we manage it anyways.

I ask the trooper again why he uses strength gear and suddenly the healer leaves. I pull out Tharan for some healing and we proceed. When we get to the mobs the trooper CCs one and immediately after that the sentinel jumps on that mob. I tell him that he shouldn't attack CCed targets, no reply.

After wiping 5 times due to the sentinels constant attacking CCed target and the trooper with strength I leave and wait 90 minutes for another group. The run went smooth and everyone was happy.
-Why should my sanity matter to you?
Ephran Zell

Cannonas
12.28.2013 , 06:26 AM | #1605
Sorry guys, but I'd still prefer to see a DPS die from stupidity than my healer, so I'm guarding the healer until DPS show they know what they're doing and at the level I'm tanking (31) that's usually not the case. It reduces some of the damage and makes sure he doesn't get threat of mobs I've already hit, which no one else will attack.

I also can't say I've ever seen a DPS attack the weakest mob first, all they seem to die is do a struggle over who can take aggro from the Champion mob which the tank isn't targetting.

I just wish other tanks guarded me more when I'm healing as well, dieing each time on the first trash pack in Red Reaper gets boring after a while (though panic button saves me most of the time)

Fazaani
12.28.2013 , 07:34 AM | #1606
Ppl are so loveable when they are angry

Qued for hm 55 fb just bit ago and landed on mid mandalorian raiders. I was playing my toon dmgmerc so about 28 khp and they were half trough. After venting the mandalorians in the space i or someone agroed that turret mob and i got blown away.

38 hp op was agroing worse than the mobs and i told him to chill a bit ... well other dude decided to combat rez me and that got him even more agitated and ranting... ofc i was "retard" allready on that phase and as i again told him to chill a bit i got kicked out reason "retard"

I would think ppl nearly 38k hp would have played enough to control their temper in sense "its only hm fb guys and **** happens ..."
The Firkraag legacy
Firkraag, also known as Lord Jierdan Firkraag, was a red dragon living in the Windspear Hills in Amn and masquerading as a human noble.
Around since 2008

midianlord
12.28.2013 , 08:30 AM | #1607
Quote: Originally Posted by masterparvel View Post
[...]

After wiping 5 times due to the sentinels constant attacking CCed target [...]
They all do this.

Why do they all, always do this?

So effin' annoying, especially when it's my Merc/Mando CC-ability's waaaaaaay-too-long cooldown they just wasted.
Proud "elitist." Even more proud to be an un-reconstructed "gaming-culture snob."
r/DPS 4 life

grrrly
12.28.2013 , 10:04 AM | #1608
My healer friend and I did HM Mandalorian Raiders the other night, and when we zoned in we saw that the juggernaut tank had 30k health, which of course prompted an inspect. The guy was wearing DPS PVP gear, no defensive stats whatsoever. I wondered if perhaps he was a DPS who had mistakenly queued as tank, but no, he leaps in and starts tanking the mobs, and he's using his taunts. And the mobs are absolutely shredding him, my poor healer friend had a terrible time keeping him up. His tanking style included running away from the mobs and leading them into the rest of the group, and this was a bit of worry when we had Braxx being tanked in the middle of the room right next to the hounds. Thanks to good heals and the DPS getting the mobs down before they did too much damage, we got through it. But it was very odd!

I've had so many bad experiences with maras who think they are tanks, that I now cringe whenever I see one join a pug, especially if I am healing. Of course, if I am healing I am always very tempted to let them die if they pull before the tank...... Part of the problem with this kind of gung-ho DPS is that their personalities and interaction with the group often matches their aggressive inconsiderate playing style.

As for under 50 FPs, I'm never too fussed if people aren't geared properly or don't know their class yet. Those low level FPs tend to be good fun regardless, as long as the players have basic social skills.

Tachenko_Yuri
12.29.2013 , 06:39 AM | #1609
healer, hit gf 55 HM

" Flashpoint already in progress " 99% of the case this isn't good. You all know it.

Hammer station, pug has arrived at the Riflor's Champions, with bonus boss unlocked, but skipped.

Shadow tank very squishy. After champions got defeated gear checked, had pvp Focus equipped. Asked him where is his shield, he giggled. Asked him again, and tried to give me the bs of the " can't see the off-hand " bug, to no avail. started vote kicking, dps didn't want to wait for another tank, hence, it failed. Tanks rants and moans and attempts to pull, gets himself and the dps killed. Got told to f-ourselves by said " tank " and leaves.

Pull out treek tank, but can't micromanage and heal with kreshan's sweeping gunfire thingy, specially with dps standing in the way of it.

guildy tank comes in and saves the day. yay.
Current Main: Lynètte
Commando Healer - Dread Slayer - The Red Eclipse - Potentiae Guild
You have 15977 days of subscription play time remaining. - Creation Date: 1/1/1970 ...mmk then? O.o o.O

Prydin_Thule
12.30.2013 , 01:57 AM | #1610
Well I'll be honest, lvl 48 PT spec AP and I tend to que up as TNK or DPS. I know the spec trees are different but I usually keep my toon geared with high endurance and absorption stats.

Majority of the time we do very well but I did have one person who knew I wasn't spec correctly and asked. I just kinda laughed but I knew they were right. During lower lvl FPs I don't find it much of a problem but once you hit max and move for HMs you need to be in your specified tree.

I think most issues come from those stubborn players who refuse to take advice when it is offered. In my experience most players are very genuine/mentoring when they give advice. I have never understood why people get offended in this game when they are corrected.

DPS does tend to be a problem considering I used to play a Mara and yes I thought I was king of the world...boy was I wrong. It's nice to have a guild of professionals though who can help you learn the correct way to play at max lvl.