Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Ixios-TOR
12.04.2013 , 08:07 AM | #1421
I've loved reading this thread and until last week never needed to post....

A Tale of Two MandoRaiders by Ixios

Night 1

Decided to put some time in to lvl up a bit on my Powertech Shield Tech and hit GF button to see what was in store for me. Mando raiders popped so i jumped in. Group consisted on myself as the tank, two Maurauders and a Sorc healer. After loading into the FP first i wait for the others, the two mauraders appear at the same time and both run off.... no sign of the sorc yet.

Before i can even type "Hi" in chat to my amazement they both force leap... into different packs, the first went straight forward and leapt on the mobs that spawn and the other had gone right and through the first doors.

Still no sign of the healer but it hadnt been that long so could easily just be a slow load, I write off the Mara that went right as its a large mob pack and nothing i can do and decide to instead go to the rescue of the nearest mara. Managed to take down that pack but both Mara's have died and the sorc has then arrived.

Trash pulls from here on in are nothing short of disasters before ive vented heat or healed up the double force leap sound is heard and i die a little inside, even swapping my guard around to which ever one was in the most trouble and AOEing like mad it wasnt fun.

Also the weird thing was how close i was coming to dying on almost every pull, the healer was healing us all but the numbers seemed tiny and i was really needing to pop everything just to stay standing.

The first boss in Mando raiders actually lends itself to my groups playstyle as i quietly tanked the boss off to the left whilst the others ran around in circles as they had been the whole time.

Second boss took three attempts despite me explaining the kill order and doing what i thought was a decent job of tanking it (the BH is my alt and my main/s are a LVL 55 Jug Tank & a LVL 51 Sin Tank that ive tanked all HM FP lvl 50/55 and all ops on at least SM so whilst not being anything special i have the basics down) after the 2nd time we wiped the healer asked who the tank was, this was despite my constant polite requests to please let me pull and can you target weak to strong etc.

Anyhow managed to beat the boarding party on the last attempt but was the last man standing as the other 3 died (mainly due to standing still inside the mortar volley) but the small heals were still bugging me so i inspected the Sorc healer.

At first glance when i see someone in nearly all orange moddable gear i normally find they are an experienced player and its a breeze, this time the sorc was in EMPTY SHELLS!!! no armouring, no mods nothing. I send him a whisper asking if its a display bug (like the offhand not showing sometimes) he replies saying "what do i mean by mods and what are empty shells?" by now the mara suicice train has pulled into another station so i take the time to continue to \w him to explain that what he is wearing isnt giving him any stats and you need to modify to do that via comms etc and offer to show him how after the FP.

Thankfully he still has some greens (very low lvl but better than nothing) and puts these on. Healing then because just small numbers rather than miniscule. Rest of the FP was still a challenge as the mara's wouldn't take any of the short cuts and pulled the last boss before we had even finished with the large turretts outside his room. Again the mental playstyle of these two jokers kinda worked on the last boss even though they were hitting separate turrets but the advantages of being towards the top of the lvl range for the FP and being decked out in good gear paid off and we made it through.

Then went to the fleet and spent some time with the sorc explaining how item modification works so hopefully he'll get along better next time.

Night 2

Somewhat nervously i hit the GF button and again find myself in Mando raiders. Thanks the gods of SWTOR it was the complete opposite experience. This time the group was 1 Mara, 1 Merc Healer and a Sniper. Everyone said hi and then confirmed they were ready. Each pull was started by myself and the DPS were always using the correct kill order, using and not breaking CC and proceeding at a swift pace but allowing people just enough time to heal up or recover resources.

No wipes, nobody died and the healer even politely asked the group if he could also dps as he "wasnt needed much as he is barely needing to heal"

Stormed through it in no time and everyone said at the end it was one of the smoothest runs they've had.

Just goes to show how much we rely on each other for the enjoyment of our game time.

Thanks for reading

Sarqualin
12.04.2013 , 03:39 PM | #1422
I've been playing this game for a while. Tanked, healed and dpsed so I could write pages what I've been through but... yesterday I queued as a tank with a guildie... got Boarding party sm. It went smooth, none died, cc's, everybody knew what to do, but after the bonus boss I read in chat (not quotted) This is the most boring instance I've ever been in, written by the healer, agreed by dps. Well ok, next time I will do something else, let's wipe it, it will be fun! :P. Maybe we're so used to be with bad players that once it's smooth it gets booring :P

Tailsfortales
12.04.2013 , 08:38 PM | #1423
This is one where I actually act like a nub because I'm not paying attention as a healer.
2 Shadows, 1 sent, 1 sage, Tank-Deeps-Deeps-heels. Anyways, in Czerka (The one without vigilant, I can never remember the names) and we start the fight. Everything is fine and dandy, until suddenly out of nowhere the tank decides screw mits and dies. I have no idea how that happened honestly and just blame myself for not paying attention (I've been leveling my scoundrel so was still trying to toss Slow release med pack on everyone). Then we get past that room and onto the next pulls, things go swell, then the first keycard is obtained, and we continue on. At this point I am guess the tank pulls the droid to us, not really sure, but the rest of the room decides that we have pizza on us and zerg us because pizza. We die because I am a fail healer Q_Q. But seriously, never saw that happen before, but whatever. Anyways, we continue the rest of the instance with no real issue, and a bunch of willpower items drop, I apologize for my terribad heelz and we all go about the rest of our day.

Not really something worthy of being here, but hey we did die and have some *** moments when the whole room decided it wanted our pizza.
''In e-spess no one can hear you e-scream unless it's done with proper e-hyperbole and e-hysteria."

Loc_n_lol
12.04.2013 , 09:10 PM | #1424
Quote: Originally Posted by Tailsfortales View Post
At this point I am guess the tank pulls the droid to us, not really sure, but the rest of the room decides that we have pizza on us and zerg us because pizza.
I'm not sure if it's the case here but I've seen this happen on a few occasions. Basically if you try to kill, say, an observation probe by tossing it to the bottom where the droid boss spawns, and you accidentally toss it one or two levels below rather than all the way down, it won't quite die, and it will make its way back to you while alerting every single mob along the way. Cue in a massive horde of strongs and elites angily running at the unsuspecting party and a wipe.

Kacynski
12.04.2013 , 09:24 PM | #1425
Quote: Originally Posted by Loc_n_lol View Post
I'm not sure if it's the case here but I've seen this happen on a few occasions. Basically if you try to kill, say, an observation probe by tossing it to the bottom where the droid boss spawns, and you accidentally toss it one or two levels below rather than all the way down, it won't quite die, and it will make its way back to you while alerting every single mob along the way. Cue in a massive horde of strongs and elites angily running at the unsuspecting party and a wipe.
^This.
I saw this happening several times already and it's kind of annoying. The tossing does not really save time anyway, and when a toss results in a train of mobs, way more time is lost than could ever be gained by an instakill of a single mob.
It's the same when people toss the one droid in hammerstation that waits after the bridge. It will not die from falling, but will be somewhere beneath the floor and keep attacking the group. It will be out of range / not targetable, though and become a major annoyance.
Tossing of mobs is fine, but people please don't do it in Czerka Labs and that one droid in Hammerstation, it's more pain than gain.

SolAlwyn
12.05.2013 , 01:15 AM | #1426
I will start this off with a little background, I have been playing since launch, with 16 toons and have run almost every spec at one time or another. I was on my Shadow, who is a dps, but since i had a Sin tank, and decent shield, I queue as tank or dps and respec as need.

I queue and get Maelstrom as tank, I respec and load in. We start and everything is fine after Kancras (the one who summons adds) after a few more mobs, both dps say we need to go, and then just leave. The healer(a sage) queues us and we instantly get a sent and a slinger. As the run continues the sent starts almost every pull, which I let him tank as per my policy.

After, I believe Vanithrast, (the one with the bird) I need a Willpower dps gear since it was better then what I had. The sage then says, did I know I needed on sage gear(FYI I was the only one who needed). I reply that its better then what i had and at this level it doesn't matter if i have tanking gear or not, thinking that's why he commented. The sage responds with that's not your primary stat. I said of course it is. if not what is the primary stat. I also say a shadows is the consular's other advance class. The sage says exactly, so I say that's why I need willpower.

At this point the Sent opens his mouth with something like you should use it, it's light armor. by this point we are in front of Kilran's door. After a brief afk we kill the boss. This whole time I am thinking is it possible that I have been gearing my toons wrong for almost 2 years? And if so how are most 55?

eugenica
12.05.2013 , 02:50 AM | #1427
Have lots of "funny" stories happening to me with random group all the time. Including healer, who don't heal, guys with totally wrong mods (with other classes stats), guys dpsing in tank-spec. But the most spectacular and unforgetting was two:
1. Been in an fp with my low-level alt. While going through packs of mobs, our party got a lot of damage, mobs was running back and forth. So we asked tank if he knows how to taunt at all. And got brillant answer: "I can tank, do you want me to?" From that moment on I'm taking my tank-friend with me, no random tanks please

2. Got to the fp with my low-lvl operative healer. Hammer Station IIRC. Wasn't playing with this char much, so she wasn't dressed too well. With me was a powertech tank, sniper and a marauder. Sniper was a bit overleveled for fp, so he wasn't rolling on cunning loot at all. Marauder did. And won it. All. I asked him a few time why he was needing on cunning when he's marauder. First he was keeping silent, I assumed he was one of those ninja's who need for comps. Then he started praising my heals and I said that it would have been much better if he wasn't stelaing my loot. He said he needed it. Why I asked, if his main stat is strengh, not cunning. What I've got... "It has endurance, I need it" O___o OMG! I've checked his gear and it was a nice mix of everything... I vote-kicked him without regret advising reading a bit about his class.

UPD: Remembered another "great" moment. Colicoid Games, me as a heal, friend as a dps and 2 pugs. First turrets. 3 of us (me, friend and other dps) stand near turrets and seeing as tank running toward us, start a challenge. Tank runs up and stand. Just stand near the turrent all the fight. Thanks that we're expirienced and othe dps was op too, we finished encounter. After we all ask tank about the reason he was just standing around. In a few mins he answered: "Stop wining, was a bit busy reading forum here". LOLWHAT? Insta kick. BTW, finished fp with a new tank joining only on the last boss
Monoral (Mercenary lvl55) / Klyaksa (Sniper lvl55) / Ammonite (Sorcerer lvl55) / Vuvuzelka (Marauder lvl55)
Gadiya (Commando lvl55) / Ahchoo (Gunslinger lvl55) / Chrysaliz (Sage lvl55) / Atataika (Sentinel lvl55)
The Red Eclipse: <Imperial Wolves> / <Made in USSR>

Sarqualin
12.05.2013 , 03:23 AM | #1428
Quote: Originally Posted by SolAlwyn View Post
The healer(aThe sage then says, did I know I needed on sage gear(FYI I was the only one who needed). I reply that its better then what i had and at this level it doesn't matter if i have tanking gear or not, thinking that's why he commented. The sage responds with that's not your primary stat. I said of course it is. if not what is the primary stat. I also say a shadows is the consular's other advance class. The sage says exactly, so I say that's why I need willpower.

At this point the Sent opens his mouth with something like you should use it, it's light armor. by this point we are in front of Kilran's door. After a brief afk we kill the boss. This whole time I am thinking is it possible that I have been gearing my toons wrong for almost 2 years? And if so how are most 55?
I was a witness to this case too, on a lower level though. We've explained it works differently here and then realized what willpower is in other games...
It's just willpower is known to be for mages. Shadows are more like rogues with tanking skill. When I started to play this game I thought I will have more force :P

Loc_n_lol
12.05.2013 , 07:16 AM | #1429
I've had this in a hammer station run too. On my mercenary, as healer. There was a PT dps in the group. When I rolled need on a bounty hunter armor drop, the PT took offense to that, and the rest of the group remained unconvinced I actually needed heavy armor... (didn't help that I was wearing medium-looking adaptative armor I suppose...). They didn't kick me but that was awkward.

nyrkverse
12.05.2013 , 11:19 PM | #1430
This thread is pretty funny to read because I've been playing for a couple of months only and maybe less than 20 FPs but I've already encountered a lot of it: the tank in mismatched gear who doesn't tank, the dps running amok and pulling everything under the sun, the bickering duo who try to votekick each other, the healer who plays straight dps and complains about the lack of heals. I've also been the bad dps who goes after the wrong targets (in my second FP ever: the healer reprimanded me but kept me alive and after that I looked up tactics to be a little less clueless) and pulls inappropriately.

But I've also played with a lot of great people: experienced players who took the time to explain in detail the boss fights on Athiss, a couple of really great healers who had the patience of saints (one time with a tank with willpower gear who needed on trooper stuff - he was a jedi knight - and didn't tank plus me the inexperienced dps who of course managed to get all the aggro at the most inopportune times), a dps who improvised herself tank, lead us to victory without healer (who quit when the actual tank said it was his first time) and with a companion to round up the party, all the time being very nice about it.

Anyway, I have grown a great admiration for tanks and healers. Tanks are always burden with leadership and it seems a bit unfair, what happens if it's a new player who's learning (well, I've seen what happens: some people quit and others step up). And healers, I think they really have it rough, it feels like a role for very stable, very patient people. Personally, I don't think I'll ever roll anything but dps characters: I don't think they're "easy" but I'm pretty sure they're not as difficult.