Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

CrazyGreggy
11.30.2013 , 05:36 AM | #1391
Having rolled on a US server when my longstanding guildmates from other games chose that option at launch (as has happened in other games), I've grown accustomed to this time of year being a struggle to find groups or indeed anything to do. PvP was dire, the same bunch of clueless people making the same mistakes, FP queues lacking either healer or tank which I tested by queuing first on one, then the other only to find the role I wasn't filling was the one missing. So I rolled a new smuggler on The Red Eclipse and started levelling her up.

Within a few hours I was level 10 and having selected Scoundrel I queued for Esseles and got an instapop for the healer role. Level 10 vanguard "tank", 2 sentinels (uh-oh) and me. Then I realised FP in progress, which is... less of a good sign. I zone in and run to catch up, taking forever as a) permanently in combat and b) as it's a server I can't transfer my legacy to, no rocket boots, no legacy perks, nada. Catch up with the group at the conversation with Commander Narlock and away we go!

Tank disconnects right after the conversation with Narlock and Asara, so the 3 of us continue on, clearing trash as we go. One of the sentinels seems a good sort, name with special characters but wearing the Living Legend title so I take this as preliminary evidence (your honour) that (s)he knows what they're doing. Their gear indicates the same, 2 orange weapons, all gear with strength in it.

The other sentinel....car crash. Willpower chestpiece, willpower pants, willpower offhand, cunning boots. Charges into combat first, never once heals up between pulls, just after deaths of which more to come later. We reach the engine room, tank still hasn't reconnected but Special Sentinel is on lead. Super Sentinel initiates a votekick on the still offline tank, I concur. We ask Special Sentinel to queue us for a replacement. Around about the time we reach Ironfist is the time he does so and our new member is......another sentinel. Fortunately Supplementary Sentinel is friendly and chatty, taking an interest when I finally crack and advise Special Sentinel never to wear any primary stat other than Strength. Supplementary Sentinel thanks me for the info and then proceeds to ask about the skill trees for Sentinel. At this point I'm feeling better about the run, now that Super Sentinel and Supplementary Sentinel are there to carry the load of Special Sentinel.

We get through Ironfist and head to the Emperor's Glory. Special Sentinel continues to pull and heads straight for the first elite in the power room, tunnel visioning it with the ferocity only one of truly limited higher function can achieve. I manage to save him from himself with back to back Underworld Medicine casts and Super and Supplementary finish off the pack. Special doesn't heal up, he just charges straight for the 2nd pack of mobs while on half health or worse, once again tunnelling on the elite. I decide that the heal aggro from the other 4 mobs in the pack isn't worth trying to save his skin and let him die, using backblast and blaster whip to kill one of the droids while Super and Supplementary finish the other mobs and we then take down the elite. I scrape Special up off the floor, reassemble his internal organs into something approaching working order and we pop the consoles. We finish off the boss in the room which drops Trooper boots for the zero troopers in the group, and turn off the tractor beam in true Obi Wan style.

The next thing we see is "Special Sentinel has been defeated". He leapt to the add pack and fell victim to the ramp bug, falling through it to his death. Fair enough, it's been the death of many of us in the past, but it did add one more impression to the pile

He releases and runs back, then turns right and heads for the 3 pack in front of the lift while myself, Super and Supplementary head for the ISS bonus boss. We kill it before Special's presence outside the shield gets him killed, only for the Esseles Consular Robe to drop. As I had somewhat jadedly expected, Special rolls need on it and when challenged says "it's not for me, it's for my mate". I type a lengthy explanation of etiquette and that if by "mate" he meant companion then he should roll greed along with the other 2 sentinels as they get the same companions he does. By this time he's up the lift, into the next area and pulled, trapping me below as I was typing rather than keeping up with Special (my own fault, obv).

We finally get to Vokk, the orange shotgun drops along with a purple skill mod 2. I "woot" and roll need on both. Special rolls need on the mod (although not the shotgun) but loses the roll. I facepalm but decide it's not worth any further wear and tear on my keyboard. We finish the run, I say farewell to the others and proceed on my merry way. Due to being on a new server and not wanting to populate my ignore list before adding anyone to my friends list, I shrug this off and head back to Ord Mantell to finish up the Prologue and get at least 1 companion.

When I hit level 15 a short while later, I queued for Hammer Station. Guess who was in the group......

Blowwtorch
11.30.2013 , 09:10 AM | #1392
Doing Athiss, our tank and DPS slots were fine. Our healer was a train wreck though.
A Mercenary, using combustible gas cylinder (DPS cylinder) wearing the Poison Pit set, which is the agent's set from the Heroic Missions on Hutta, which I don't even know how she got. She had a strength headpiece too. Anyways, she would constantly open up on packs with Death from Above then desperately try to heal through all their attacks by spamming rapid scan on herself. We made it past the first boss before our tank had enough and voted to kick her.

midianlord
11.30.2013 , 04:02 PM | #1393
Quote: Originally Posted by Blowwtorch View Post
Doing Athiss, our tank and DPS slots were fine. Our healer was a train wreck though.
A Mercenary, using combustible gas cylinder (DPS cylinder) wearing the Poison Pit set, which is the agent's set from the Heroic Missions on Hutta, which I don't even know how she got. She had a strength headpiece too. Anyways, she would constantly open up on packs with Death from Above then desperately try to heal through all their attacks by spamming rapid scan on herself. We made it past the first boss before our tank had enough and voted to kick her.
A derp-merc?

/Sigh...this makes me haz a sad

(If you should see her again, then /whisper her to roll a smasher, as is clearly suited to her level of intellect.)
Proud "elitist." Even more proud to be an un-reconstructed "gaming-culture snob."
r/DPS 4 life
Spoiler

midianlord
11.30.2013 , 04:20 PM | #1394
Derp, double-post. Yay, forumz!
Proud "elitist." Even more proud to be an un-reconstructed "gaming-culture snob."
r/DPS 4 life
Spoiler

Pietrastor
11.30.2013 , 09:31 PM | #1395
Quote: Originally Posted by Blowwtorch View Post
Good job helping a clearly new player learn. Not.

I mean seriously, we're talking Athiss SM, level 20 or so.

Fiamma_Verde
11.30.2013 , 09:40 PM | #1396
Quote: Originally Posted by Pietrastor View Post

It's not specified whether or not it's story, nor are any attempts at communication mentioned. *shrug* Probably best not to assume.

Pietrastor
11.30.2013 , 09:52 PM | #1397
Quote: Originally Posted by Fiamma_Verde View Post
It's not specified whether or not it's story
Because a Merc as unexperienced as described would reach 55 HM Athiss in Cunning lvl 10 gear lol

steave
11.30.2013 , 11:25 PM | #1398
Quote: Originally Posted by Pietrastor View Post

Helping isn't a duty, it's the players own responsibility to learn his class. They can either ask for help or look it up on their own if they can't figure it out by simply reading the tutorials. Most clueless players you meet either completely ignore or start raging when their mistakes are pointed out, so I generally don't bother either, but if they actually ask for help it's a completely different matter, that means they're paying attention and are willing to listen so they're actually worth spending the effort to teach.

Blowwtorch
12.01.2013 , 12:33 AM | #1399
I've never played a Mercenary, or any healer for that matter, but I did whisper to her that she needed stuff with Aim that was heavy armor, and asked her not to open up on groups with death from above, since she needed to heal our Juggernaut when things focused on him, but she still did use death from above and the (suppressive fire?), and didn't even respond. Though with her armor being level 5-10 cunning stuff, we wouldn't have made it either way.

Prototypemind
12.01.2013 , 02:34 AM | #1400
Queued for my Hammer with my new sniper, get a pop relatively quickly. For some reason the second DPS quits before the first pull out of no where. Healer pulls out Mako, but I figure it's whatever, if she's geared it will be slow but we'll be fine. I wonder why on the second group I pull all the aggro, same on the next. When we get to the two golds it was over before it began.

After we wipe I ask the healer to requeue us and realize the tank isn't using Dark Charge and has rather motley gear. I mention that she needs to switch stances. We rebuff and a new DPS comes in before we proceed. He's a higher level so I figure everything will be fine. Mention the stance to the tank again, but she ignores me and charges in. Well, that was enough to at least get her aggro, but even with our CCs up she drops before the healer can do enough to keep her up. She respawns but never move, and we finish off the group. Tank quits for whatever reason.

We requeue, get a new tank, and finish with pretty much no more issues. Even when you try to help other players sometimes just don't want to listen =p