Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

VoW_LugNut
11.26.2013 , 01:41 PM | #1371
The last groupfinder flashpoint I ever pugged was a HM Hammer Station. Myself and a guildie dps queued together and were immediately paired with the sniper alt of what used to be a very well known progression guild on Harbinger's GM, as well as a merc healer from his guild. Everything seemed to be going ok for a minute or two, but the sniper started pulling mobs ahead of me with orbital strike. Ordinarily, it wouldn't have been a problem, but the healer was not topping me off in between pulls, so I had little opportunity to self heal. I wasn't mean in response to this, I simply stated in group chat "If you pull mobs ahead of me again, I will let you tank them". He then responded "You do that, and my healer will stop healing you."

So, after realizing the caliber of player I was dealing with here, I simply replied "ok" and told my dps guildie to exit area and leave group with me so that we could requeue after the debuff and let them continue on. Apparently the ubersniper did not appreciate that and whispered me "nice, you *female genitalia*-whipped *c word female genitalia*.

One of the reasons I no longer do the 3 flashpoint weekly lol.
Lugnut Reborn - PT Tank
Publugnut - Vanguard Tank

Washed up ex-progression raider

midianlord
11.26.2013 , 04:28 PM | #1372
Wow, all these horror-stories (some of which are hilarious, others make me haz a genuine sad)...I said it earlier on, I guess I have --for the most part, anyway!-- been fairly lucky with my GF escapades.

At least as my usual R/DPS...Healing (which I freely admit I am still very nub at; I don't feel at all ready for 55 [HARD] instances yet, TBH) is another matter entirely. I don't know how you full-time "for-a-living" healers do it, you lot have my deepest and most sincere respect.

I'll make it official in any case:

Mandalorian Raiders [HARD], now that I've learned it and done it lots, is edging up to becoming my favourite instance: Because it does not forgive stupid. (Kinda weird sudden "snap-aggro" from some of those turrets when you "should" be out of their aggro-range though, is that a bug, or intended?)
Merc and 'Slinger since launch, Merc and 'Slinger for life
(Feels good, doesn't it? Well it certainly does for me!)

Galsarus
11.26.2013 , 05:32 PM | #1373
Hi Fiamma_Verde - Thank you 66 mods are cheap as chips and mats are easy to come by, so I didn't think twice about helping the tank out. Tanks have a hard enough life as is with non stop gear grinding.

Hi AbsolutGrndZero - You're welcome!

Hi Cxten - I saw this being said in most class threads, but for some reason, despite packing 110.25% Tech accuracy on my sniper, my shots still miss (even rifle shot?!)...on HMFP bosses..been trying to figure out why (could it be network lag? I play with around 250 Ms pings from Brisbane....)

On Topic- had a very confusing incident last night popping a HMFP on my sage. I got a pop for Cade and about 30 seconds after I loaded in, I got kicked from group. Group composition - vanguard tank, Commando Healer and Commando DPS, I didn't manage to inspect them as I was too busy wondering why I got kicked as no reason was given. Cynical side of me says they wanted a full trooper group for the loot...

Galsarus
11.26.2013 , 06:06 PM | #1374
Quote: Originally Posted by VoW_LugNut View Post
The last groupfinder flashpoint I ever pugged was a HM Hammer Station. Myself and a guildie dps queued together and were immediately paired with the sniper alt of what used to be a very well known progression guild on Harbinger's GM, as well as a merc healer from his guild. Everything seemed to be going ok for a minute or two, but the sniper started pulling mobs ahead of me with orbital strike. Ordinarily, it wouldn't have been a problem, but the healer was not topping me off in between pulls, so I had little opportunity to self heal. I wasn't mean in response to this, I simply stated in group chat "If you pull mobs ahead of me again, I will let you tank them". He then responded "You do that, and my healer will stop healing you."

So, after realizing the caliber of player I was dealing with here, I simply replied "ok" and told my dps guildie to exit area and leave group with me so that we could requeue after the debuff and let them continue on. Apparently the ubersniper did not appreciate that and whispered me "nice, you *female genitalia*-whipped *c word female genitalia*.

One of the reasons I no longer do the 3 flashpoint weekly lol.
I think I may come across these guys on my tank very recently. Last HMFP I did with these folks (mando raiders) - sniper pulled the same stunt and I told said sniper - either you stop pulling before me or you're tanking. I got the same warning so I waited on the dog pull before Braxus and his pooch duo, and sure enough - he opened up with orb strike. I just parked myself in the back corner, pulled a bag of chips and watched him and the healer have a go at it and wipe. The other DPS was random but luckily he caught on what's happening he also did nothing . Sniper tried to have a go at me and I told him, feel free to kick me and rejoin the queue (I hate using this line, but I feel, this time it was warranted). We did finish the HMFP, but I could tell healer was only just keeping me alive to make me panic, but not cause a wipe. me on the other hand, refused to burn my DCDs unnecessarily. Glad to say, I'll never have to worry bout those two.

steave
11.26.2013 , 08:31 PM | #1375
Quote: Originally Posted by Galsarus View Post
Hi Cxten - I saw this being said in most class threads, but for some reason, despite packing 110.25% Tech accuracy on my sniper, my shots still miss (even rifle shot?!)...on HMFP bosses..been trying to figure out why (could it be network lag? I play with around 250 Ms pings from Brisbane....)
Yeah, rifle shot is the only one that should be missing. All other ranged attacks are counted as "special attacks" and get the same 10% accuracy bonus that tech attacks do, so they have 110% while rifle shot only have 100%, leaving a 10% chance to be defended for that.

Galsarus
11.26.2013 , 09:11 PM | #1376
Quote: Originally Posted by steave View Post
Yeah, rifle shot is the only one that should be missing. All other ranged attacks are counted as "special attacks" and get the same 10% accuracy bonus that tech attacks do, so they have 110% while rifle shot only have 100%, leaving a 10% chance to be defended for that.
Hi Steave - That's what I thought as well, until I saw that on a fair few fights, my SoS was doing absolutely zero damage and Follow through was only just tickling my target. The pinnacle of that fight was a hard cast Ambush on my target (OMG U ARE NOOBZ!! HARD CASTING AMBUSH!!!) netting me a whopping 0 damage (this was Athiss - Beast of Vodal Cresh/Kresh). Yet in the same fight, against the Athiss bonus boss - one of my attack rotation was crit galore. most of my SoS shots and follow through were crit hits. But for the life of me - I couldn't repeat that at the Prophet himself. Prophet resisted 2 snipes (but not follow through) and assortment of other attacks at various stages of the fight (he even resisted grenade). I suspect, what I my problem is my pings, and not my gear itself.

My apologies for derailing this thread.

emjoy
11.27.2013 , 01:55 AM | #1377
The worst group I got was for Hammer Station got a dps sorc and healer from the same guild and another random dps and I was tanking. So we get to the first hard mob with the two gold droids and before I can do or say anything the sorc attacks and draws all the aggro I jump in on my jug and try to get aggro on me but don't succeed at all, we nearly die but get there in the end, after the fight the sorc starts saying how I'm a bad tank I ignore it and continue with the same thing happening by the time we get to the 3 bosses I am annoyed as hell and tell him to stop jumping in first and let me do my job he responds with that's not the problem I'm just a bad tank. By the time we finish the bosses the random dps leaves and we continue, we get to the last boss and another dps has joined I say lets wait for the dps to catch up and we will finish, the sorc though jumps in and the healer go's after him by the time I join in they are both dead with the sorc abusing me, I say just kick me then if im so bad so they both do.

Funny thing was the healer that agreed I was bad pm'd me like 10 mins later asking if i'll join as they cant get another tank to help finish the FP, I tell them no way in hell as I'm a bad tank and you both kicked me then stuck them both on ignore.

steave
11.27.2013 , 05:41 AM | #1378
Quote: Originally Posted by emjoy View Post
The worst group I got was for Hammer Station got a dps sorc and healer from the same guild and another random dps and I was tanking. So we get to the first hard mob with the two gold droids and before I can do or say anything the sorc attacks and draws all the aggro I jump in on my jug and try to get aggro on me but don't succeed at all, we nearly die but get there in the end, after the fight the sorc starts saying how I'm a bad tank I ignore it and continue with the same thing happening by the time we get to the 3 bosses I am annoyed as hell and tell him to stop jumping in first and let me do my job he responds with that's not the problem I'm just a bad tank. By the time we finish the bosses the random dps leaves and we continue, we get to the last boss and another dps has joined I say lets wait for the dps to catch up and we will finish, the sorc though jumps in and the healer go's after him by the time I join in they are both dead with the sorc abusing me, I say just kick me then if im so bad so they both do.

Funny thing was the healer that agreed I was bad pm'd me like 10 mins later asking if i'll join as they cant get another tank to help finish the FP, I tell them no way in hell as I'm a bad tank and you both kicked me then stuck them both on ignore.
While they where clearly in the wrong here, a good tank actually should be able to recover that yeah. AOE taunt to get them back on you and saber reflect to help build threat on anything ranged, and smash+crushing blow (in that order, so crushing blow becomes an AOE) to get the melee. Single target attacks and taunt for anything the DPS are actually focusing on.
You have to work 10 times as hard for it if they don't let you pull first, so it's not something they should be doing, but you may still want to have a look over in the guardian/juggernaut or tanking forum for some tips, the general principles behind it are the same as for pulling normally except for that you have to burn some of your tools earlier than you should have to so it would likely help your normal tanking too.

Never_Hesitate
11.27.2013 , 07:17 AM | #1379
Quote: Originally Posted by steave View Post
Spoiler
I don't know if he was talking about sm or hm, if it was hm one could get the aggro back (but I wouldn't even try to get it back, the one who pulls it also tanks it. some just need to take a dirt nap before they learn), if it was sm there is no way to get it back you just don't have enough aoe nor does one have a aoe taunt by that time
waiting for ...

steave
11.27.2013 , 06:28 PM | #1380
Quote: Originally Posted by Never_Hesitate View Post
I don't know if he was talking about sm or hm, if it was hm one could get the aggro back (but I wouldn't even try to get it back, the one who pulls it also tanks it. some just need to take a dirt nap before they learn), if it was sm there is no way to get it back you just don't have enough aoe nor does one have a aoe taunt by that time
I wouldn't try either, but since he claimed he tried and failed it indicates he could use some help. I don't blame him at all for the situation ofc.