Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.


BadOrb's Avatar


BadOrb
11.07.2013 , 01:34 PM | #1211
SO two nights ago , I was in a HM FP Meltdown and one of the mini-boss drops some Vanguard tank purple 69 modded pants ( I was on my Tank Vanguard ). The thing was they matched what I already had on so I thought I would roll greed so the whole party would have a chance at getting the item for their alts or companions or for mine. While three of us rolled greed the fourth member a DPS said some comment about armor being armor and rolled need. I just politely gave him a little advice , that it's best not to roll need on a tank item and that it was just a heads up. To my surprise the healer said he had every right to roll need on the item.

I have never heard of that ever before , I just mentioned that we should of all had a chance of the item via the RNG of rolling greed. Anyone else heard of this ? I had actually heard that I myself would have had every right to roll need on it as i was the tank , but thought as i had a similar item that I would give everyone a 25% chance of getting it.

Very odd.

Cheers,

BadOrb.
'Ah you think micro transactions are your ally ? The DLC betrays you because it belongs to me , when your home world is monetized , you have my permission to buy'.
"Oh goody. Lord Douchebag McFuzzlebunny can now be related to me if he see's my legacy name and decides he likes it." quote from Selvec 09/06/12

Bowenator's Avatar


Bowenator
11.07.2013 , 01:49 PM | #1212
Quote: Originally Posted by Sorei View Post
If he was that used to it, he could have at least apologized for it, but he didn't say anything (and continued doing so). He also used both his taunts at once several times which is kinda weird (though I have no idea about pvp tactics).
I know you're just trying to explain why he did this, nevertheless as a tank it's just annoying as hell.
Just positing a theory. He could, in fact, be entirely stupid. At the very least, he should've stopped when you asked him.
Bro on Jedi Covenant - confusing your voice chat since 2011
Bro, Bro-curious, Bro-bafett, Bro'backmtn, Bro-lolololol
Bro-biden, Bro-bot, Donthealme-bro, Bro-biwan, Pawpatine

ELRunninW's Avatar


ELRunninW
11.07.2013 , 02:54 PM | #1213
Quote: Originally Posted by BadOrb View Post
I have never heard of that ever before , I just mentioned that we should of all had a chance of the item via the RNG of rolling greed. Anyone else heard of this ? I had actually heard that I myself would have had every right to roll need on it as i was the tank , but thought as i had a similar item that I would give everyone a 25% chance of getting it.
Very odd.
Cheers,
BadOrb.
I agree with you BadOrb, there were threads on the topic. You can search 'greed or need' to find a long list of those. I think people are seriously split and everyone has their own opinion.

When I was presented with the choice for a first time I misunderstood the meaning of need being a necessity and greed being a desire to posses something one does not actually need. I vaguely remember someone letting me know I should not be doing it.

Today I personally find it rude when someone chooses to 'need' on an item we all require or need unless it is a unique/rare item or mount. Probably all choices should be discussed within a group beforehand and there are no written rules, that I know of.

Posting this question here was a terrible mistake. This is not going to end well

Akusoduzan's Avatar


Akusoduzan
11.08.2013 , 12:46 AM | #1214
Last night i queued up as a tank for the false emperor.

I had the tank icon so i figured i was gonna be the tank.... All of a sudden one of our sentinels decided it would be a nice idea for him to tank i stated to him that i was the tank and he queued up as a dps but apparently he thought so otherwise & just randomly left at the last boss.... ninja'ed loot & dissapeared into the night
Unlucky for u im a bountyhunter who doesn't accept dead or alive bounty's i only go for the onces i can kill !

Siorac's Avatar


Siorac
11.08.2013 , 03:59 AM | #1215
Quote: Originally Posted by ELRunninW View Post
Today I personally find it rude when someone chooses to 'need' on an item we all require or need unless it is a unique/rare item or mount.
Why? You all need it, you all roll need, where's the problem?

thecoffeecup's Avatar


thecoffeecup
11.08.2013 , 10:24 AM | #1216
I've given up on debating the issue. In the MMOs I played previously, "need" meant you can use the item to improve your character (and giving your pet monkey a cute hat wasn't a valid reason!). Nowadays I think a lot of people feel entitled to everything whether they need it or not. I won't say respect it, because I don't, but I've just realized that you can't fight it.

I seriously think they should rename it to "want"/"don't want" though.

Subach's Avatar


Subach
11.08.2013 , 10:26 AM | #1217
Quote: Originally Posted by ELRunninW View Post
When I was presented with the choice for a first time I misunderstood the meaning of need being a necessity and greed being a desire to posses something one does not actually need. I vaguely remember someone letting me know I should not be doing it.
Um...how is that misunderstanding it? Is that not exactly what the name "need before greed" exactly implies?

ELRunninW's Avatar


ELRunninW
11.08.2013 , 03:02 PM | #1218
Quote: Originally Posted by Siorac View Post
Why? You all need it, you all roll need, where's the problem?
Because I have made a choice before you decided to take advantage of the system and win the item for yourself. Well next time I will need on everything that pops. it is your idea of what one actually needs, like mats. We all need them but it does not mean we have to select need every single time. If i don't need an Item I will select pass, have you forgotten about this option? I so don't want to be dragged into pointless conversation.

P.S. I have caps lock on my keyboard but I understand I should not be using it. Just because there is a need button....

ELRunninW's Avatar


ELRunninW
11.08.2013 , 03:04 PM | #1219
Quote: Originally Posted by Subach View Post
Um...how is that misunderstanding it? Is that not exactly what the name "need before greed" exactly implies?
I am not sure where did you get that name from. I have seen that dialog many times and I can not recall anything similar.

ELRunninW's Avatar


ELRunninW
11.08.2013 , 03:11 PM | #1220
Quote: Originally Posted by thecoffeecup View Post
I've given up on debating the issue. In the MMOs I played previously, "need" meant you can use the item to improve your character (and giving your pet monkey a cute hat wasn't a valid reason!). Nowadays I think a lot of people feel entitled to everything whether they need it or not. I won't say respect it, because I don't, but I've just realized that you can't fight it.

I seriously think they should rename it to "want"/"don't want" though.
I agree, it is a matter of perception of what one person needs. I may need an item for my companion or alternative armor set, or simply because I want to sell it to a vendor, we all need credits right? All choices can be explained somehow, but often, unless you chose need, you are not likely going to get the item.