Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The weird people you meet in Group Finder.


YoshiRaphElan's Avatar


YoshiRaphElan
10.20.2013 , 04:07 PM | #1051
Just got an interesting group on BT SM...

First, this guy says matter-of-factly, "spam spacebar to skip movies!" like we don't know. Of course, I don't like to spacebar anyways, so I just kind of ignored him. Then I did the Light Side option to spare the captain and the same guy says something to the effect of "lol you're a noob" and then "you're no Sith!" (the second I understand; the first is beyond me.) Then he drops because he has to go. We get an Inquisitor and proceed. But then the two Inqs we have, whenever we press a terminal for a conversation, always jump or run out right before the fourth person clicks in...and then they click again...and then right before the last person clicks in they would jump or run out. Again. It took like a minute and a half to actually start the conversation because they wouldn't quit doing this! Other than that the group was pretty good; they fought well and no one died despite the lack of healer, but I think they were all pretty much weirdos.

Darkelefantos's Avatar


Darkelefantos
10.20.2013 , 04:13 PM | #1052
Quote: Originally Posted by YoshiRaphElan View Post
I did the Light Side option to spare the captain
Please tell me you won the roll. Nobody ever goes for the LS when I play this, and I loath killing the captain. Not because I'm such a nice guy at heart (which I totally am), but because killing the only competent person (well, living person, let's exclude Kilran's manslaughtering droid) aside from yourself seems a little harsh. Especially since it causes everyone to die.

dancezwithnubz's Avatar


dancezwithnubz
10.20.2013 , 05:18 PM | #1053
I was grouped with a doozy last night.

he was the BH tank, I was the Op healbot also along for the ride was an assassin and sniper DPS, Mandalorian Raiders, ~lvl26'ish run.

apparently a healer firing a single damage shot is blasphemous heresy for this BH.

we'd just finished the minor boss (dude with the two nasty dogs), no-one had died the whole run (although there were one or two close calls I'll confess) and he initiates a vote-kick against me.

he loses. at least, I think he lost. I abstained and didn't get booted from the game.

so, instead of sucking it up and continuing, he just /sit down and refuses to continue.

did I mention NO-ONE HAD DIED so far that run.

now, I'm still a noob to this healing lark, but as I see things, if no-one dies, you're not doing too badly.

mustopak's Avatar


mustopak
10.21.2013 , 04:13 AM | #1054
Mando Raiders HM.

I met this interesting tank. His gear is proper, but I can tell it's not optimized. I was running it with my lil bro's DPS Guardian and a close friend's DPS Shadow. I was with my Scoundrel Healer. I was like, k, no prob with the tank's gear so long as he knows what he's doing. He's a Vanguard Tank.

The trash fights went without trouble, then we got to the first boss with the two dogs. As he tanked away the boss while us nuking the dogs, I noticed he wasn't really good with taunts and aggro-managing attacks. I had the boss chased me a few times until he got it back. I can tell that this guy is nervous in tanking as he takes a long pause before every trash mob fights. Then we get to the second boss, the four Imperial classes.

So he knew the deal to nuke down the Warrior 1st, but, as we're going, I ended up tanking. He never bothered to taunt the remaining of the group as the BH, Sorc and Agent nuked me down. I tried my best to survive, aggro dump, heal myself and group... but yeah I was wondering why isn't he using his Sonic Round (AOE taunt) or even aggro generating attacks. Ended up wiping.

2nd try, I whispered to my close friend and lil bro to backup taunt if our tank fails to heed my advice on using Sonic Round, Pulse Cannon, Explosive Surge or even Riot Gas. The usual Vanny tanking stuffs. He seemed to rely on that single taunt, Neural Jolt.... So anyways, he seemed to still have some problems managing aggro and that's when my lil bro and close friend decided to tank each of the classes while nuking the Warrior as DPS. We managed to get through.

Last boss however, before going in I explained to him the need of maintaining aggro of both turrets and Mavrix on him. He did well as he supports the DPS nuking out the one turret we focused, then the other and finally Mavrix for the next three jumps he does to those turrets platforms.

Well.. tanks are already hard to come by, so discouraging and dissing a tank might not be a good idea... Told him he did a good job and parted our ways. Weird tanks can make the healing challenging and fun, but tanks willing to learn and take advice can be rare. Some tanks ignored or even insult me for my advice.

sithBracer's Avatar


sithBracer
10.21.2013 , 08:53 AM | #1055
Quote: Originally Posted by mustopak View Post
Mando Raiders HM.

I met this interesting tank. His gear is proper, but I can tell it's not optimized. I was running it with my lil bro's DPS Guardian and a close friend's DPS Shadow. I was with my Scoundrel Healer. I was like, k, no prob with the tank's gear so long as he knows what he's doing. He's a Vanguard Tank.

The trash fights went without trouble, then we got to the first boss with the two dogs. As he tanked away the boss while us nuking the dogs, I noticed he wasn't really good with taunts and aggro-managing attacks. I had the boss chased me a few times until he got it back. I can tell that this guy is nervous in tanking as he takes a long pause before every trash mob fights. Then we get to the second boss, the four Imperial classes.

So he knew the deal to nuke down the Warrior 1st, but, as we're going, I ended up tanking. He never bothered to taunt the remaining of the group as the BH, Sorc and Agent nuked me down. I tried my best to survive, aggro dump, heal myself and group... but yeah I was wondering why isn't he using his Sonic Round (AOE taunt) or even aggro generating attacks. Ended up wiping.

2nd try, I whispered to my close friend and lil bro to backup taunt if our tank fails to heed my advice on using Sonic Round, Pulse Cannon, Explosive Surge or even Riot Gas. The usual Vanny tanking stuffs. He seemed to rely on that single taunt, Neural Jolt.... So anyways, he seemed to still have some problems managing aggro and that's when my lil bro and close friend decided to tank each of the classes while nuking the Warrior as DPS. We managed to get through.

Last boss however, before going in I explained to him the need of maintaining aggro of both turrets and Mavrix on him. He did well as he supports the DPS nuking out the one turret we focused, then the other and finally Mavrix for the next three jumps he does to those turrets platforms.

Well.. tanks are already hard to come by, so discouraging and dissing a tank might not be a good idea... Told him he did a good job and parted our ways. Weird tanks can make the healing challenging and fun, but tanks willing to learn and take advice can be rare. Some tanks ignored or even insult me for my advice.
My advice for a vanguard/PT tank:

1. free hands.
2. place face on keyboard.
3. roll face around left to right (not right to left)

congrats you are now a vanguard/PT tank.
Ma'kaela - jedi shadow in training
Mákaela - assassin in the shadows

Subach's Avatar


Subach
10.21.2013 , 10:51 AM | #1056
Has anybody ever grouped with someone without an advanced class? I once had a trooper with me in a 50 storymode flashpoint. He was DPS, and of course his damage output was terrible. I asked him why he hadn't chose an advanced class yet and he said he "couldn't decide which one so [he] just stayed trooper".
Part of me wonders if that playing without an advanced class could be viable, but with missing at least half of your abilities, I doubt it.

AbsolutGrndZero's Avatar


AbsolutGrndZero
10.21.2013 , 08:06 PM | #1057
Quote: Originally Posted by Subach View Post
Has anybody ever grouped with someone without an advanced class? I once had a trooper with me in a 50 storymode flashpoint. He was DPS, and of course his damage output was terrible. I asked him why he hadn't chose an advanced class yet and he said he "couldn't decide which one so [he] just stayed trooper".
Part of me wonders if that playing without an advanced class could be viable, but with missing at least half of your abilities, I doubt it.
Okay, "I couldn't decide" is an even dumber reason than "I am hardcore" that I've heard. The idea being not having your advanced class makes the game more challenging. So you are just a majorly awesome player cause you're so hardcore.

Me personally the only time I ever saw a character level 50 knight without an advanced class he "logged in" right next to me down in The Works on Coruscant and I was like about to be like how the... when he sent me a tell and he was the GM there to fix a maaaajor issue I had (there was an issue where smugglers were not being granted the class quest to go to Nar Shaddaa and Tatooine, so the GMs had to catch you online to run the code to manually add the quests to your quest log so you could continue beta testing LOL). This was during beta, which is why he showed up in person and just sent a tell rather than using the ticket chat system, cause it didn't exist yet.
The Babylon Legacy
Harbinger
Racquel, Stancerry, Jennica, Porcelain

RoninJr's Avatar


RoninJr
10.21.2013 , 09:50 PM | #1058
Had a gunslinger in Hammer Station who simply kept pulling ahead of the tank (me on a VG). The first time we wiped and I told him to knock it off, but unfortunately some people aren't too bright. I told everyone else to basically stand there and laugh if he pulled that stunt again (and we did :P)

Some guildies of mine apparently ended up in a Coli where only two guys were on the turrets in the first phase. How do people fail that again?

EDIT: Oh, oh! How about the Sin tank who insisted on dropping a sin's shelter on himself during the Prophet fight in Athiss? Made it $%#@ing impossible to see the purple dots - I think only one guy stayed standing for the entire fight that time.

midianlord's Avatar


midianlord
10.21.2013 , 09:53 PM | #1059
(/Me still waits for the shaking to stop...)

So I've started doing heals more on one of my Mercs (full BG spec')...and I had a baaaaaaaad Battle for Ilum [HARD] mode experience last night.

For one thing, I freely admit that I'm probably a bit under-geared (taking care of that now), and I'm also still quite new to healing in general, but people, people, people!

People?

If you're a Sith Sorcerer (DPS), then don't run ahead and pull first on almost every encounter after saying "I kill everything!" You're definitely too squishy for me to heal you through the beating, and oh, guess what:

You're not a tank. That's your base class's other AC.

If the actual tank hasn't pulled, and I start trying to heal you --I know I probably should have just let him die, but the combined nice-guy/Stubborn-Polish Jew in me refused to even consider it--then I will draw aggro, and hey, whaddaya know:

I'm not a tank either. That's my base class's other AC. Healers tend to die quickly if they get full aggro.

Stay together. (I almost automatically /facepalm now everythime I see someone activating those stupid cash-shop rockewt-boot things --unless it's the tank!)

Let the tank pull and hold first, that's his job.

Then I can do my job of healing the tank whilst he holds aggro off the rest of us, so we don't all die.

We got through it eventually --B4I is not that hard, even if it's [HARD]-- but 38k creds repair bill later, well there's a certain Lightning Sorc. who just got added to my ignore list.

If you are DPS, then:

DON'T

***********

PULL

FIRST.

I really don't get what's so hard about this?
Merc and 'Slinger since launch, Merc and 'Slinger for life
(Feels good, doesn't it? Well it certainly does for me!)

RoninJr's Avatar


RoninJr
10.21.2013 , 10:10 PM | #1060
Because some people are genuinely stupid? :P

I usually let the clueless, run off by themselves type die horribly and take care of everyone doing their job properly.