Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Q&A with Bioware on armor dyes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Q&A with Bioware on armor dyes

Drudenfusz
05.01.2013 , 01:16 PM | #21
Wonder what level the recipes for artifice will be...
My Old Republic Warring is Magic
Lana Everhope - The Drudenfusz Legacy, Shadow Tank on The Red Eclipse
When you play the game of PvP, you win or you die.
English version <- SWTOR Wiki -> German version

Wolfninjajedi
05.01.2013 , 01:18 PM | #22
So the Restored Sith Armor won't be dyeable? :/ Ah rats...oh well, I just figured they would be given there were different colors of that armor and it was worn by pretty much just cannon fodder.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Tatile
05.01.2013 , 01:18 PM | #23
So, let me see if I'm understanding this:

I can craft a red dye module and it's either Secondary or Primary.

I can craft a red dye module that's Secondary AND Primary.

But I can't craft a red dye module and a green dye module, one Secondary, latter Primary, and put them BOTH on the set of armour?

And the Secondary+Primary dye modules are set colours? You cannot choose the colour combination? If so, that's balls.

jscott
05.01.2013 , 01:22 PM | #24
I fully expect to see something like Red+Black, Green+Black, Purple+Black Primary and Secondary colors available on the CM. Like we have the lightsaber colors.

Kurgun
05.01.2013 , 01:24 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Elfa View Post
Why for the love of god did they not just give each piece two slots, one for primary and one for secondary or give us the ability to make our own combos?!

That just seems like a thoroughly foolish decision. Why pass up on a chance to give the customer more options and control?
I have to completely agree with you here. I was a little surprised and disappointed that we get limited on choices this way. Hopefully they change this in the future and allow for two slots. At least it is indeed a step in the right direction for those of us who want our armor to look a certain way.
"He's No Good to Me Dead"

Tatile
05.01.2013 , 01:26 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by jscott View Post
I fully expect to see something like Red+Black, Green+Black, Purple+Black Primary and Secondary colors available on the CM. Like we have the lightsaber colors.
Don't forget Black+Black.

DaRoamer
05.01.2013 , 01:30 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
So, let me see if I'm understanding this:

I can craft a red dye module and it's either Secondary or Primary.

I can craft a red dye module that's Secondary AND Primary.

But I can't craft a red dye module and a green dye module, one Secondary, latter Primary, and put them BOTH on the set of armour?

And the Secondary+Primary dye modules are set colours? You cannot choose the colour combination? If so, that's balls.
See my other post, it's likely a technical limitation. It would require a rework of their shader system. So either we wait longer to get the system at all or we get what we get now and hopefully they improve it in the future.

Likely because they can only have 1 diffuse (color) layer on each item they had the artists do 48 versions with the primary sections matching the color dyes and had them do 48 versions with the secondary sections matching the color dyes. Then they had them do a unique set of combo dyes with popular combinations. Well, actually we don't know if the combo dyes are part of the 48 total, but you get the idea.

Tatile
05.01.2013 , 01:35 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by DaRoamer View Post
See my other post, it's likely a technical limitation. It would require a rework of their shader system. So either we wait longer to get the system at all or we get what we get now and hopefully they improve it in the future.

Likely because they can only have 1 diffuse (color) layer on each item they had the artists do 48 versions with the primary sections matching the color dyes and had them do 48 versions with the secondary sections matching the color dyes. Then they had them do a unique set of combo dyes with popular combinations. Well, actually we don't know if the combo dyes are part of the 48 total, but you get the idea.
I'm no coder, but that just sounds like a grossly ineffectual and time consuming system. If what you say is right, the armour designs in this game were done in a very short-sighted manner. I suppose initially they had assumed that the adaptive/moddable armour and re-colour system would be sufficient for their playerbase. A gross miscalculation.

Andryah
05.01.2013 , 01:45 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by jscott View Post
My guess is the dual color dyes will be issued with very specific schemes that are already established in game.

In other words, they are retaining some proprietary control over armor color schemes for the time being. Probably will expand it later though.

Could be for technical reasons, could just be they don't want to give players the whole carrot on day one.
"The internet has enabled so much and empowered so many. But it can also be a place where the basic rules of decency are suspended and pettiness and negativity thrive, - Tim Cook, Apple CEO

Tatile
05.01.2013 , 01:46 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
My guess is the dual color dyes will be issued with very specific schemes that are already established in game.

In other words, they are retaining some proprietary control over armor color schemes for the time being. Probably will expand it later though.

Could be for technical reasons, could just be they don't want to give players the whole carrot on day one.
Maybe it's because of all the people screaming "Oh my god, not PINK!" all the time As if pink is the destroyer of worlds...