Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Q&A with Bioware on armor dyes

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Q&A with Bioware on armor dyes

Alec_Fortescue
05.01.2013 , 11:35 AM | #11
SWTOR rp has a big q&a about kiosk.
*Best Dressed Jedi of 2014* http://mmo-fashion.com/tor-fashion-contest-results/

Almost 3 years old and there are still no iconic / classic / traditional / prequel-style (pick any!) Jedi robes in the game! How come?

Also how about letting players wear the robes that are already in the game but not accessible to them?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=720547 - Cool compilation of Jedi outfits worn by NPCs.

Don't let your artists' work go to waste, Bioware

Veerlo
05.01.2013 , 11:37 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Elfa View Post
Why for the love of god did they not just give each piece two slots, one for primary and one for secondary or give us the ability to make our own combos?!

That just seems like a thoroughly foolish decision. Why pass up on a chance to give the customer more options and control?
THIS!!! Hopefully we get some orannge shell down the line where we'll be able tu combine 2 colors. Maybe in 1-2 update with new colors.
The Ässamite Legacy: Prophecy of the Five
Veerlo 55 Sorc | Akiam 55 Sniper | Olreev 52 PT
Alcifema 46 Guardian | Mäika 20 Shadow | Alfema 25 Commando

Jeweledleah
05.01.2013 , 11:45 AM | #13
Why for the love of god did they not just give each piece two slots, one for primary and one for secondary or give us the ability to make our own combos?!

That just seems like a thoroughly foolish decision. Why pass up on a chance to give the customer more options and control?
this was my question as well. one of my issues with current gear is that I often dislike stock color combination, so I was hoping dying gear would solve that by allowing me to create my own combo's. apparently, I was wrong :/

Arclide
05.01.2013 , 11:47 AM | #14
Will CE armors be dyeable ?

DaRoamer
05.01.2013 , 12:17 PM | #15

I can tell you why, it would require creating a new layer to their shading network. Since likely each tint was likely done by hand by the artists, allowing us to colourize both primary and secondary section would require them having 2 textures per item with an alpha mask to be able to show parts of one and parts of another.You already have a diffuse layer, specular layer and normal map, this would have to change to diffuse 1, alpha, diffuse 2, spec and normal map. It's a LOT more work, their engine would have to have large modifications to make this happen.

chuixupu
05.01.2013 , 12:53 PM | #16
Thanks Dulfy!
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Iwipe
05.01.2013 , 12:55 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Arclide View Post
Will CE armors be dyeable ?
I assume so since it doesn't fall under lore outfits

chuixupu
05.01.2013 , 12:56 PM | #18
Question someone asked me:
Have you seen anything about the dye modules being re-usable? In other words, are they going to be like the armoring, mod, enhancement and augments where you can pay credits to pull them and keep them?
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Elfa
05.01.2013 , 12:58 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by DaRoamer View Post
I can tell you why, it would require creating a new layer to their shading network. Since likely each tint was likely done by hand by the artists, allowing us to colourize both primary and secondary section would require them having 2 textures per item with an alpha mask to be able to show parts of one and parts of another.You already have a diffuse layer, specular layer and normal map, this would have to change to diffuse 1, alpha, diffuse 2, spec and normal map. It's a LOT more work, their engine would have to have large modifications to make this happen.
If that's the case, then they made some very foolish mistakes when designing and coding the character customization modules. How, when they know they're making a gear based MMO, they didn't start with full customization control in mind from the get-go boggles my mind.
I'd like to sit down with the guy responsible for having Busta Rhymes fight Michael Myers in HALLOWEEN RESURRECTION. Then, before he could speak, I would slap him so hard his face would explode and his dog would die." - Jim Law

DaRoamer
05.01.2013 , 01:07 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Question someone asked me:
Have you seen anything about the dye modules being re-usable? In other words, are they going to be like the armoring, mod, enhancement and augments where you can pay credits to pull them and keep them?
They get destroyed when you pull them out of a piece of gear.