Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Chosen one: Luke, or anakin?

smartalectwo
12.30.2011 , 04:49 AM | #41
The Sith were a menace, and the Jedi had become stagnant and closed-minded. Anakin brought them both down and gave his son a chance to start things off again with a clean slate. Sounds like balance to me!
There is no try.

Koxi
12.30.2011 , 04:53 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Grayer View Post
I'm stuck on this question: Is Anakin the chosen one just because eveyone said he was, or is Luke, because he saved the galaxy?
Luke didn't save the galaxy, Anakin did when he throw the Emperor to his death. Well it's one way of looking at it! haha
Twitter: @mac__monkey - Photos, bio, and general tweetage.

Rhyltran
12.30.2011 , 09:45 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by smartalectwo View Post
The Sith were a menace, and the Jedi had become stagnant and closed-minded. Anakin brought them both down and gave his son a chance to start things off again with a clean slate. Sounds like balance to me!
Again. Incorrect. Read George Lucas' quote.

Maligni
12.30.2011 , 12:31 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Rhyltran View Post
Again. Incorrect. Read George Lucas' quote.
I read it and I dont think George is saying the Jedi are the balance. He is saying the sith were just overpowering the force. And Luke was not evil nor completely light. He is more of a ... balance ... of the two. Luke was not really a true Jedi, he just had Jedi training. All George said was by removing evil/sith Luke brought balance.

Gozinya
12.30.2011 , 12:40 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
Light Side is balance, Dark Side Causes Imbalance. So it was Balance.

Luke isn't the chosen one. Anakin is. Luke is what Anakin should have been. Anakin brought complete imbalance(Wiping out the Jedi Order) and then brought pure balance.
I agree that Anakin was the chosen one... however, during Anakins padawan through Knight age the galaxy was littered with Jedi and only 2 Sith at a time. Anakin, then known as Darth Vader went around the galaxy finding and slaying all the Jedi, which he almost did, except Yoda and Obi Wan... thus bringing balance to light side/dark side users.

Thats my understanding of it... I could be wrong though.
Sith Wyrm Server
Cognus - Sith Sorcerer - Madness
Millennial - Sith Marauder - Annihilation
Gozinya - BH/Merc - Bodyguard

mathalsolo
12.30.2011 , 02:04 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Gozinya View Post
I agree that Anakin was the chosen one... however, during Anakins padawan through Knight age the galaxy was littered with Jedi and only 2 Sith at a time. Anakin, then known as Darth Vader went around the galaxy finding and slaying all the Jedi, which he almost did, except Yoda and Obi Wan... thus bringing balance to light side/dark side users.

Thats my understanding of it... I could be wrong though.
I always understood it as like an early poster stated, that the Sith brought imbalance to the force by their mere presence. They did spend a very long time in hiding, waiting... And quotes by Mace and Yoda in the prequels support this theory..."The shroud of the darkside has fallen"..."I think it is time to inform the senate that our ability to use the force has diminished"...and of course "The dark side clouds everything"

It is up for debate however, since at the end of the prequels there was a literal balance. 2 Jedi, 2 Sith. However, 19 years pass and the galaxy is even darker than it was, and people like Luke only heard stories of the Jedi and had no clue what the Force even was.

IMO, what Anakin did in ROTJ brought the FORCE back into balance, not the AMOUNT of Force users.

Solzean
12.30.2011 , 02:10 PM | #47
The EU is not real true canon. While it is accepted to generally be true in the end it is not canon on the same level as the movies. The books in my opinion towards the end do a very bad job of talking about the force. Hell, Jaina basically walks down the exact same path Jacen does but somehow its cool for her to do. The books aren't true canon because they have a bunch of authors writing their own interpretations which really contradict eachother in subtle but huge ways.

Annikhan
12.30.2011 , 02:12 PM | #48
The funny thing about prophecy, movies, legends, history...
Most prophecies are never interpreted propperly until the events have passed.

Lucas did an excellent job in this. Everyone runs around thinking they have the answer but it's not the answer they get isn't necessarily the answer they want.

Annakin does destroy the emporer which is what I would say constitutes restoring balance but the Jedi Order as it stood was completely destroyed in the process.

Those events did pave the way for Luke to recreate the Jedi Order. Probably why the council was so reluctant to leap on board with following the prophecy.

But, thats just my opinion. There are many people who think Nostradamous was a genius for all his visions. If he was true genius I think there would be ways to actually interpret his prophecies before the events unfolded.

Solzean
12.30.2011 , 02:21 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by StarTale View Post
Without dark there is no light. There will always be dark and light regardless. Technically there were other jedi and potential sith still alive throughout all the movies just maybe not trained or known. Bringing balance just meant killing the emperor who was looking to eradicate the light side which would bring imbalance. If there was just light side then it would technically be imbalanced as well. It's really a silly topic if you ask me.
You are thinking of balance in terms of a scientific means. A positive and a negative make a neutral. This is not really what the movies were about. They were basically Good triumphing over evil. There was not room for evil to continue existing. Now the idea that the dark side of the force can be used for good would be the closest thing to "Balance". The problem is that when this approach is tried it almost always leads to the person doing evil.]

Another big thing that we don't realize is that characters in the movies can be wrong. Obi Wan does not ALWAYS tell the truth, and he does not know everything. The characters all have their own values and beliefs. The movies try to make the Jedi Order seem far more Homogenous than they actually are. Its hard to tell if the Jedi were all aiming to be the same with no emotions since the many of the characters express their care for each other even though they are Jedi.

cstimyshoot
12.30.2011 , 02:27 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Grayer View Post
I'm stuck on this question: Is Anakin the chosen one just because eveyone said he was, or is Luke, because he saved the galaxy?

anakin, luke, it doesn't matter. Without Anakin there is no luke....think on that one.