Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Chosen one: Luke, or anakin?


Captain_Mark's Avatar


Captain_Mark
12.23.2011 , 04:38 AM | #31
I put forward the argument that Luke IS the balance, ergo Anakin fulfilled the prophecy when Padme gave birth to him. By the end of Jedi, we see that he is an equal measure of light and dark and that this balance of light and dark is the real way forward. The Sith adhering only to the dark side is bad in ways we all know about, but if you really think about it, being super pious light side is also bad news because it stops a person from being human. Remember that this was the reason Ani and Padme had to conduct their relationship in secret and a real driving force behind Anakin's turn to the dark side. Liken it to a super religious family that raise a kid that way and then when s/he is old enough, they go off the rails because they give in to temptation and overly abuse all the things they've been denied (I know a chick like this and she's mental :P) The only other two canon characters to realise this before the end of Jedi were both Revan and Jolee Bindo as far as I know and arugably, these are the two most well balanced and knowledgable individuals in the SW universe (even if Revan had to learn the hard way :P)

Projectalpha's Avatar


Projectalpha
12.23.2011 , 04:47 AM | #32
If you read what Lucas has said his idea of balance is that the Light Side wins.
Which if you follow more then the 6 movies doesn't happen to long after as The Emperor "survives" the fight with Luke and Anikan.

But it is Vader who the prophecy is about as the prophecy speaks of a boy who is born from midiclorians, which is Anikan.

Erroneously's Avatar


Erroneously
12.29.2011 , 01:23 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Szazi View Post
remember the emperor basically killed 2 jedi masters under 1 minute (he lost to Mindu though).
I would believe he intentionally lost to Windu in order to get Anakin to join the Dark Side by betraying a Jedi before him. It seemed he could have escaped Windu anytime he wanted.

BrandonSM's Avatar


BrandonSM
12.29.2011 , 02:07 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Erroneously View Post
I would believe he intentionally lost to Windu in order to get Anakin to join the Dark Side by betraying a Jedi before him. It seemed he could have escaped Windu anytime he wanted.
No... Windu really beat him. I'd be mad if he didn't. Windu is imho the 2nd best duelist below Luke Skywalker.


Mastering all 7 forms and creating a form himself, plus Shatterpoint. He was an unstoppable duelist.

Sidious beats with force powers though.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

Malefik's Avatar


Malefik
12.29.2011 , 07:55 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by hlbarr View Post
The Emperor losing to Windu is one of the thing many people say but i believe is wrong. The Emperor was just playing with Windu. He wanted Anakin to see him as a feeble man that needs saving. Anakins final step to turning dark side was killing Mace Windu, which was all a part of Palpatines plan.
Thats what I always belived. If you remember the fight with Duco. Palpatine tells Anakin to kill Duco. Anakin says "its not the Jedi way". Palpatine says "he's to dangerous to be left alive". The fight with Windu and the Emperor is being staged by him, just so Anakin can here Windu say the same thing about Palpatine. Windu "Im gonna end this now" Anakin "you can't its not the Jedi way he must stand trial" Windu"hes to dangerous to be left alive". Anakin's fall is not to the Sith but to love. In order to fullfill the prophesy Anakin had to know both sides of the force to be able to bring it into balance. His love for his wife which Palpatine used against him came back to get him in the end through Luke. The circle was complete, the prophesy.
BLESSED DARKNESS
~~~x~~~~~x~~~~~x~~~~~x~~~~x~~~~~x~~~~~x~~~~~x~~~
~~x~~x~~> May the Dark Light shine! <~~x~~x~~

Serving the Dark Side since 1999

Durzaka's Avatar


Durzaka
12.29.2011 , 11:58 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Malefik View Post
Thats what I always belived. If you remember the fight with Duco. Palpatine tells Anakin to kill Duco. Anakin says "its not the Jedi way". Palpatine says "he's to dangerous to be left alive". The fight with Windu and the Emperor is being staged by him, just so Anakin can here Windu say the same thing about Palpatine. Windu "Im gonna end this now" Anakin "you can't its not the Jedi way he must stand trial" Windu"hes to dangerous to be left alive". Anakin's fall is not to the Sith but to love. In order to fullfill the prophesy Anakin had to know both sides of the force to be able to bring it into balance. His love for his wife which Palpatine used against him came back to get him in the end through Luke. The circle was complete, the prophesy.

While i do agree that is a powerful argument,


Windu was just too powerful a duelist to compete against. Best duelist of the era. master of all 7 forms. His own special form, blah blah, you know this side.

The real problem is that the movie doesnt give enough evidence (books generally give a much better base for this argument).
Durzaka Retribution

AgentAurelius's Avatar


AgentAurelius
12.30.2011 , 12:56 AM | #37
From what i've experienced in the star wars realm, i've come to the opinion that the Jedi are just as evil as the Sith. When the cult of the Sith came before Revan they were hunted down by the Jedi and they fled to Korriban. The First sith (not the race) were just Jedi utilizing the dark side of the force and the Jedi didn't approve and attacked thus making them the aggressor. I might be totally wrong but I remember reading this a couple times.

TykarAboso's Avatar


TykarAboso
12.30.2011 , 01:33 AM | #38
the chosen one who will destroy the sith and bring balance to the force>?

step one balance the force 2 jedi (obiwan + Yoda) = 2 sith (vader + sidious)

looks like an equal equation if i remember my chemistry correctly

step two, destroy the sith>? check

in the end there was just luke, who was pretty much grey and his reformed order was no where near as dogmatic as the old republic, they weren't afraid of their emotions
how'd you like to come back to my place and ....spawn

Rhyltran's Avatar


Rhyltran
12.30.2011 , 01:53 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Mark View Post
I put forward the argument that Luke IS the balance, ergo Anakin fulfilled the prophecy when Padme gave birth to him. By the end of Jedi, we see that he is an equal measure of light and dark and that this balance of light and dark is the real way forward. The Sith adhering only to the dark side is bad in ways we all know about, but if you really think about it, being super pious light side is also bad news because it stops a person from being human. Remember that this was the reason Ani and Padme had to conduct their relationship in secret and a real driving force behind Anakin's turn to the dark side. Liken it to a super religious family that raise a kid that way and then when s/he is old enough, they go off the rails because they give in to temptation and overly abuse all the things they've been denied (I know a chick like this and she's mental :P) The only other two canon characters to realise this before the end of Jedi were both Revan and Jolee Bindo as far as I know and arugably, these are the two most well balanced and knowledgable individuals in the SW universe (even if Revan had to learn the hard way :P)
Incorrect. Everyone who thinks it was "Two jedi vs two sith" are completely wrong. This is from George Lucas. This is what balance was about. Balance simply meant. The sith are destroyed.

"The first film starts with the last age of the Republic, which is it's getting tired, it's old, it's getting corrupt.

There's the rise of the Sith, who are becoming a force, and in the backdrop of this we have Anakin Skywalker, a young boy who is destined to be a significant player in bringing balance back to the Force and to the Republic...

Then in the second film we get into more of that turmoil. It's the beginning of the Clone Wars, it's the beginning of the end of democracy in the Republic, sort of the beginning of the end of the Republic. And it's Anakin Skywalker beginning to deal with some of his more intense emotions of anger, hatred, sense of loss, possessiveness, jealousy, and the other things he has to cope with.

And then we will get to the 3rd film where he is seduced to the dark side..

Which brings us up to the films 4, 5, and 6, in which Anakin's offspring redeem him and allow him to fulfill the prophecy where he brings balance to the Force by doing away with the Sith and getting rid of evil in the universe..."

haluo's Avatar


haluo
12.30.2011 , 02:37 AM | #40
Yoda said that "once you start down the dark path forever will it dominate your destiny"

based on this I always thought that since Luke was able to to turn Vader back to the side of light Luke brought balance to the force.

I assumed that meant that the darkside had a power the lightside did not. It could turn you evil and you could not be turned back to light.

But Luke gained the power to turn people from the darkside to light. So i always thought balance was achieved that way both sides now had the power to turn people to their side.

but after much research and reading it turns out that

Anakin was the chosen one because he was the only one powerful enough to destroy Darth Sidious, then he died, leaving no Sith, the Sith became destroyed.

It was the Sith who unbalanced the force, the force comes from life, if no life exists there can be no force.

now that being said that does not mean evil can't return. People that are good can still become evil and turn to the darkside.

Balance was brought to the force, but that does not mean that it can't be unbalanced again.

Perhaps there is a sith prophecy about one who will restore the sith in the future.