Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The one genuine mistake BW/EA have made is lack of communication.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The one genuine mistake BW/EA have made is lack of communication.

HazardOOI's Avatar


HazardOOI
12.13.2011 , 02:02 PM | #21
You feel entitled to something you were never told you would get.

pjskull's Avatar


pjskull
12.13.2011 , 02:02 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Vislor View Post
Stephen Reid has explained at least twice (before the forums were wiped and after) both how the staggering process will work and why they are doing it this way. He has even stated numerous times why they will not tell people in advance when they will get access. It's not BioWare's fault that people don't choose to read these explanations. You can say you don't like it but BioWare and EA have communicated the reasoning behind it.
I agree with you and I disagree with you... There is no doubt that the answers and communication were present. The FAQ were clear, there are other communications to be found that make everything clear.

However, when you are dealing with a large consumer sample size, in retail sales, which is the stage we are talking about right now, you have to make an assumption that a significant portion of your customers will be... well... idiots.

So, assuming that a significant number of people you will sell to will be intelligence challenged, then you have to overcommunicate. Look at items near you right now...

Do you need the bottom of the coffee cup to say coffee is super hot?

Do you need a warning not to use your hair dryer in the bath tub?

Do you need a warning on your hammer that it can cause serious injury?

The bottom line is, some people need more communication than others... And in the sales business, you want to try to meet them at more than halfway... just the way it is... So, just overcommunicate to try to meet their special needs.

XOrionX's Avatar


XOrionX
12.13.2011 , 02:03 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by msales View Post
The one genuine mistake BW/EA have made is communication, a lot of people have said that they canít believe the feeling of entitlement that a lot of people have. Personally I donít feel entitled to access seven days early. (five is another matter). I do however feel entitled to proper communication from EA/BW. Something along the lines of, you will be on wave X, we are currently on wave Y, the ETA on the next wave is Z.

Furthermore I understand the need for a staggered launch, I understand server load and the fact that they canít have everyone I the same zone at the same time (Though I do worry about the official release day, and Christmas day) However this is a retail product and a lot of people wonít have this level of understanding. A bit of explanation regarding the staggering would have been a good idea.

Some people will never be happy but polite communication goes a long way to keeping most people happy and alleviates frustration.
I am appalled there is so many people in this mind-set.

Everything has been communicated to you.

http://www.swtor.com/preorder/faq


Don't you feel silly now? :P
"Never tell me the odds!" ~Han Solo

davidpop's Avatar


davidpop
12.13.2011 , 02:04 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Alundo View Post
EA don't need to do anything. Because no matter how many angry posts and whine threads are made, they know those same people are just dying to hand over their money to them.

The rabid fanbase has turned how a business should work the wrong way around. They should have to work for and earn your money, not do anything they wish and still get foaming at the mouth players handing over their subs.

What'cha gonna do eh? *shrugs*
That is what its like when there is no competition, they got the only Star Wars MMO in the world and they know it.

Brightglade's Avatar


Brightglade
12.13.2011 , 02:05 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by msales View Post
I do however feel entitled to proper communication from EA/BW.
And the Devs have been providing proper communication. You just do not like their answers.

Also, by your own admission, you -do- feel entitled. *shrug*

The only mistake I think they have made is having forums.
"When faced with a choice between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before."
ó Mae West

ptwonline's Avatar


ptwonline
12.13.2011 , 02:06 PM | #26
I have to agree--BW/EA's communication has been subpar for a while now. Not just for the launch, but throughout much of this pre-order/beta period where confusion has seemed to reign supreme about who was getting in, when, what date things were supposed to be delivered, what you actually had to sign up for, etc.

I don't think the problem is lack of effort, but lack of coordination, clarity of message, and an understanding of what the playerbase thinks is important.

Motivatedhero's Avatar


Motivatedhero
12.13.2011 , 02:08 PM | #27
I would rather sit in a 11 hour que and KNOW for a fact that I am getting in after 11 hours then sit by my computer hoping I get the email saying I can log in.

The alternative would be to give everyone an assigned wave so you can do what you want to do in your life and just keep track of what wave they are.

This business of them doing only 5 waves though is kinda poor. I can't believe they are only doing 5 and then saying better luck tomorrow.

Eroiqua's Avatar


Eroiqua
12.13.2011 , 02:10 PM | #28
Another area where communication left more to be desired was between Bioware and their retail partners. I understand, and rather like, the way the EGA system was implemented...however, Bioware should have made it abundantly clear to their retailers that they are required to send *valid* preorder codes *ASAP* upon preorder. Waiting several days to get an already-used preorder code that required dealing with the retailer's customer "service" is not cool.

XOrionX's Avatar


XOrionX
12.13.2011 , 02:11 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Motivatedhero View Post
I would rather sit in a 11 hour que and KNOW for a fact that I am getting in after 11 hours then sit by my computer hoping I get the email saying I can log in.

The alternative would be to give everyone an assigned wave so you can do what you want to do in your life and just keep track of what wave they are.

This business of them doing only 5 waves though is kinda poor. I can't believe they are only doing 5 and then saying better luck tomorrow.
I agree in part with this.

Perhaps more communication on when the waves are coming and maybe a notification on the schedule of the waves. But aside from that, everything else was written pretty specifically in the information provided in the pre-order page.
"Never tell me the odds!" ~Han Solo

BrimstoneAshe's Avatar


BrimstoneAshe
12.13.2011 , 02:12 PM | #30
How do you know EA has started?
How do you know they're doing a few waves a day?
How do you know they're staggering it based on your pre-order date?
How did you know they were starting two days sooner?

Because they communicated it to you. You can try fluff it up all you want, but at the end of the day what you're complaining about is their inability to tell you exactly when you get your access.

And they've explaining why they can't really do that.....but here were are... two days before you even expected to play.... just a few hours after this starts.... and you're saying they've let you down. There's no amount of info they can provide that's going to be good enough for you other than "You're in."
I'm about to take over the galaxy, so if you want to be on the good side of my dark side, you better start kissing my back side.